Tart Lychee | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Three year old Wild Beer blended with lychee and a touch of Ceylon cinnamon.

Added by Overlord on 07-20-2009

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

New Belgium Tart Lychee

New Belgium Lips of Faith Tart Lychee. 56% ale aged in oak. 44% ale brewed with lychee and cinnamon. Alc 7.5% ABV.

Thoroughly clouded pale amber/ straw, under milk white foam.

Aromatics: heavy sour, crazy funk, with plenty of wild fruit. I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with lychee, in any of it's incarnations. Cinnamon is here, laying below the fruit and the funk.

Taste: Boomshakalakka! Big, fat blast of sour/wild/funk, with fruit below, among the wood, and sweetness slipping in. It continues like this in a fabulous fandango. Tart and sweet, sour and fruit, cha cha cha. Little bit of bitterness. lots of malt and yeast. Very refreshing and flavorful.

Full-bodied, long, bitter/sour/sweet finish, a unique and complex creation. On the other hand, I can't say how many of these I could enjoy without being exhausted from the effort or needing some diversion from the experience. Oak meets fruit and spice. I like it…to a point.

Let's see what they say about it: "To sweet and sour! In celebration of one of the greatest combinations ever, lychee fruit brings tropical sweetness to the party, hosted by felix, our golden wood-aged sour beer. . Cinnamon sticks were invited to spice things up and so are you! Get in on the tasty revelry that is tart lychee!"

They've got to get a new writer on these things.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz bottle poured into my Allagash glass. It poured a bright golden color with a thin but frothy head covering the top. It left some good lacing on the glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma is very tart and sour. I get a lot of green apple and sour lemon flavors to it. It definitely has a strong fruit presence that I assume is the lychee, but I can't say I know what lychee smells like though. It's a little acidic, but not too bad. The sour lychee fruit was a little strange at first, but I'm really starting to like it the more I get into it.

The taste also has a strong sour fruit flavor throughout. Again, green apple and sour lemon are both things that come to mind as I'm drinking it. The finish is a little acidic, but the fruit helps cut through it. The sourness lingers pretty well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with carbonation being above average. Overall, it was a very interesting and pretty good beer. It was a little strange at first as the sour lychee flavors were very strong and unique. The more I got into it though the more I liked it. I really liked that it had a very bold sourness to it without becoming overly acidic or one dimensional. I definitely appreciated the uniqueness of it as well. Very enjoyable beer overall.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from bomber into CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) Light copper with haze. A finger of foam was present but quickly dissipated to a collar. A bit of lacing also noted.

S) Tart... Indeed. Lychee fruit... I'll take their word for it. I got a peach melba frozen yogurt aroma. Strange, but it's what I got. I have to say, I enjoyed the nose on this brew.

T) I really liked the twang here. Not too tart or sour four my tastes at all. Definitely a little woody, lightly spiced, and fruity, which I assume was the lychee. Really nice aftertaste.

M) Medium body with mild carbonation. Really quite nice. The tartness gets you smacking those gums, but it also makes you crave another sip.

O) This was perfect for a warm summer day. Highly enjoyable, and I am glad to recommend. Cheers...

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy, golden-yellow with a fluffy, white head that builds and fades quickly. No lace or retention.

S: Slightly funky & fruity. If you give it enough time, you can smell the cinnamon.

T: Tart, funky, fruity, bright, effervescent, refreshing, and finally...delicious!

M: Incredible stuff. Perfect carbonation. I could drink this all summer.

O: Fresh, crisp, clean. A great brunch beer that serves as a great alternative to a mimosa or something of that nature.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Disclaimer – I have never eaten a lychee, which means I do not know what to expect from this, and I have no point of reference regarding whether or not the beer tastes like lychee.

This was a cloudy yellow. When I first poured it into a glass, it smelled like champagne. This faded and it was slightly sweet and sour. I could taste the booze and almost a faint pine taste. It tasted fruity, but because I have never had a lychee I am not certain if it tasted like lychee. However, there was a distinct taste in there that I have never tasted in other beers, which I presume may have been lychee. I definitely picked up on the cinnamon. It is tart, but not to the extent of a good sour beer.

Other details: There was lots of sediment in the bottle. It was nicely carbonated. It is different than anything I have had, and because of that, I recommend others try it. Although this may not be my favorite beer, it challenged me. I like that. I respect this strange brew.

I’ll have another.