Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Loft | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by kbub6f on 07-31-2002

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%

Definately a summer brew. One of the best low alcohol light colored beers I've had in awhile. While not quite as pleasing to me as good strong Double IPA or a impy stout, I could imagine myself sitting in a lawn chair at a summer music fest, sipping on this one all day long. Also would probably be a good fishing beer, if I fished.
This one was from the same sixer as babydoc's, I assume, it has the same freshness date and he sent it to me. I also would like to try it fresh. But damn, it holds up better than the last 4% homebrew I made. Must be the Kaffir Lime leaves.

Appearance: Liquid gold, or medium corn syrup, depending on what conotation your going for. Inch of head that doesn't last long, leaves no lacing. Crystal clear.

Smell. Note much going on here. Mild malt scents and perhaps a bit of lemons.

Taste: I had a three horses recently that was skunked. This beer pretty much tastes like I would imagine that one does were it not light struck. Plus a pleasant sensation of tingling on the insides of my cheeks as I roll it around in my mouth. A bit of bite, perhaps from the kaffir leaves. Also, fresh from the fridge, I noted what I thought to be a bit of that old beer cardboard flavor, but perhaps I was just imagining.

Mouthfeel. Tingley, aggressive, and just the right viscousity. good good.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable, especially with the low abv. the only thing that would stop me from drinking several would be my desire to switch to something a bit more aggressive.

3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

Presentation - 12 oz. belgian style bottle proclaiming the name is inspired by the breweries use of wind power for their operations.

Appearance - Pours a thin white head that leaves little lacing. Hue is a very delightful pale orange.

Aroma - Very refreshing aroma of mild hops and a bit of yeasty breadiness...or something. However, kind of weak all around.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, medium carbonation bite, goes down very clean

Taste - Somewhere between a Kolsch and a pale lager with evident Belgian-style yeast thrown in for good measure. Not a ton going on here, but a nice light sweetness up front with a subtle bitterness that attenuates slowly. Well balanced. Other notes of orange/citrus and something almost a bit sour at the top of throat, hard to put a finger on it. The flavor really lasts awhile for such a light beer.

Drinkability - at 4.2%, this refreshing summer brew could be drunk all day.

Overall - I think this does very well as a beer to relax with on a hot summer day, and one of the few my girlfriend actually likes. Would buy it again if I was ever out West for awhile.

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours golden and crystal clear with moderate head. No overpowering smells in the nose, just a clean ale smell with a hint of malt. (My bottle showed some oxidation.) Light to moderate malt character nicely balanced with the hop bitterness. Full, creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

In a lot of ways, this is similar to a moderately hoppy German Pilsner (although it isn't). It tastes to me like the hops are accentuated by fairly mineral-rich brewing liquor (although I could be wrong here). There's a "steely" character to the malt flavor that works well in this beer (and again makes me think they are brewing with fairly hard water).

This is a very drinkable beer without being a pushover in terms of flavor or complexity.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apperance - Poured a light orangish color with a very small head if any at all. Tried a few and they all seemed to have the very small head after pouring. What was there left very little lacing on my glass.

Smell - Thought I could smell a small pine undertone along with some citrus and sweet caramel aromas.

Taste - Calming herbal flavors and some sweet caramel flavors surrounded my mouth. I didn't notice to much of a hop or malt taste to it at all, the sweetness to this beer seemed to take over all other flavors in it.

Mouthfeel - Crisp light feeling beer with a little carbonation. Left a tangy aftertaste long after the last sip.

Drinkability - Easy to drink, very smooth and crisp even though it was a little sweet for my taste. Goes down rather easily which isn't a bad thing.

Comments - Not one of my favorites from New Belgium but one that is worth a taste when it is offered. Just look for the big red kite on the label.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

2.26/5  rDev -34.1%

appearance: ordinary, light-colored ale

smell: faint sourness

taste: slightly sour instead of hops bitterness, aftertaste of wheat crackers

mouthfeel: not bad - full and slightly oily for such a light beer, the only impressive quality of this beer

drinkability: nothing special, tiresome after two bottles

overall: not recommended, prefer 1554 & fat tire by nb brewing to loft, not worth the $6 sale price i paid for this six pack

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last