Hoptober Golden Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Hoptober Golden AleHoptober Golden Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by Riccymon on 08-20-2009

WoW!! This has to be one of my favorite beers I have had to date. Though I am still acolyte I have been into craft beers for a while now. This beer is perfectly balanced it is so smooth you cant even tell its there. It has a perky hint of citrus hops. This beers is overall exceptional I love it. I wish it was around all year, but that would take away from it being so special!

4.86/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

This is my favorite fall beer and in my top three favorite beers of all time.

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

This is my ideal hot/mild weather beer. The bear looks amazing in a glass, its golden and clear with a good thick long lasting head. The aroma is a nice bouquet of hop, grassy and citrus. The taste, to quote The Lonely Island "Jizzed in my pants". Yeah its really that good, starts with wonderful blend of hop and stays all the way through. Good balance of malt and bitter. A wonderful vessel for hop flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

I poured this beer into an oktoberfest mug, it pours a nice Orange golden color with the slightest lacing if a white head. The nose is nice and hoppy with exceptionally balanced sweet manliness. This is an exceptional oktober offering. Really well balanced with out being overly Mary like most oktober offerings. I wish this beer was on tap for more oktoberfest events, it is a great offering.

4.73/5  rDev +23.5%

My favorite New Belgium brew by far. They do everything right with this one. Great appearance; a tempting golden bubbly brew, aroma is mixed from the various hop usage, but the balanced taste is where it's all at... balance of light to medium malt with light to medium hoppiness is very impressive. You get great doses of both malt and hop flavor yet feel the beer is light to medium in body, meaning you feel up for drinking the entire six pack (or twelve pack, which I buy every fall!)

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a beautiful clear golden color color with a nice head on it. Stays well carbonated throughout the full glass.

S - Pale Ale 'ish hop aroma. Not overpowering like an IPA though. Some wheat notes do peak through too.

T - Tastes like an IPA but with a Belgium twist. Its a nice change up to the IPA's I have drank all summer. Not too bitter on the back end.

M - Very smooth. Is more complex than I expected. Carbonation is right on.

O - This is a great transition into the fall browns, and marzens from the summer IPA's. It has a strong hop aroma and taste but is well balanced with the four malts that are used. I find it hard not to like anything from New Belgium and this one is right near the top as well.

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

This is my new favorite New Belgium offering, hands-down. The "American Blonde Ale" designation does not even begin to do justice to this multifaceted, complex brew. In the best of the American Craft tradition, this one takes simple genre, tips its hat to it, and then leaves it far behind.

Appearance: Just beautiful. Golden, shimmery, clear, sparkly, with a snow-white pillow of foam atop. Looks like the best of the Czech pilsener world, as it smiles at me in its glass.

Aroma: Earthy, crisp, mellow, dark, woodsy. I'm reminded of laurels and boxwoods after a rainshower, and expect to hear a wood thrush start singing any minute. Rye, dark hops, green apple, and wheat bread round out the nose. This smell is stupendous, comforting, and slightly intoxicating.

Taste: Delicious and refreshing. Surprisingly complex for its color and clarity, and also for its unassuming beginning (but remember that nose...). A delicious rye-wheat note marries perfectly with the ever-so-fresh hop quintet, and something rather perfumey (but in a good way) finishes it off.

Palate: Sublime and divine, if maybe flirting with being ever-so-slightly thin.

Overall/Drinkability: Highly drinkable. Scarily drinkable, in fact. I'm kicking myself for buying only a single instead of a sixer. I could drink this all day, all summer and fall -- this would, in fact, be perfect on a crisp, warm autumn day. I see this one working perfectly with any number of foods, from smoked (or unsmoked) craft cheeses, to seafood, to Mexican dishes, to fish, omelettes....I had mine with a yesterday-picked fresh mountain green apple, and it was divine.

4.71/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this for the first time at the end of a long day of work. On a fairly empty stomach, this beer is a real winner. The smell was a surprising eye opener and the taste was slightly creamy to me. I loved it and look forward to the next time I have it and hope it is with a good meal.

Hoptober Golden Ale from New Belgium Brewing