Hoptober Golden Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American Blonde Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by Riccymon on 08-20-2009

3.01/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle into Delirium Tremens glass.

A: Pour a golden-peach color with a couple fingers of light bubbly white head that faded into an oily film that left rocky lacing down the glass.
S: Exotic fruit hops fill the nose with a touch of grass and tangerine citrus.
T: Light clean flavors. More malt comes through than the nose with a pale malt flavor mixed with the sweet fruit hops. There is a light peppery-earthy-spiciness throughout. Finish is a touch bitter but the aftertaste has weird sourness that I don't really agree with.
M: Carbonation is a bit sharp over the medium body. Mouthfeel is tingly but fairly clean.
D: Another mediocre brew from a mediocre brewery. Fairly average except maybe appearance. Would be good with food or at a barbeque.

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was mostly golden. About ¾ inches of head. Nice lacing. Film stayed on the glass throughout.

Full of flavorful smells. Citrus hops with orange coming through. Some light wheat in there as well.

Not as good as the nose. Citrus still is the main taste and still seems to be orange. Kind of a flower feel in there, too. A very slight bitter finish. EDIT: Next time I tried it (three hours later), butter was dominant. To the point I had to drop the ratings. Pretty gross.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Still that slight abrupt bitter finish.

I had big expectations for this after the smell, but it disappointed me a bit. I’d probably give it the old college try again, though.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Clear golden color with a fingers worth of head. Small amount of lacing.

Smell- Piney hop aroma.

Taste- Strong hop flavor with a hint of malt.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall- A little too hoppy for my tastes. Not a bad beer but I probably will not try it again.

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Another random gift bottle from my brother. Sometimes family can pay off, amiright? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear golden straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose is a very simple and straightforward blast (okay, blast is a strong word...more like a light breeze) of lemon zest. I'm gettin' nuthin' else in my 'strils, baby. The taste is similarly simple, with the aforementioned lemon being wrapped in a soft blanket of mild pine and grapefruit rind. It's exceedingly light, and the flavors don't even try to linger on the tongue. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, an okay beer at best, something akin to a lemon-flavored macro (that was originally handled decently well, admittedly).

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

I bought a six-pack of Hoptoberfest at a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass. From the packaging I knew this was not really a fall seasonal.

Pours a stray yellow color and is crystal clear. Thin frothy white head, and thin wispy lacing.

Smell is an acerbic floral scent. Dandelion or milk weed perhaps.

Taste is a one-dimensional bitter flavor. Dandelion leaves, no malt of sweetness to speak of.

Mouthfeel is light, a bit watery, with mild carbonation and a bitter clinging after taste.

It's drinkable, but would be better in the summer. Good lawn mower beer. It's over hopped and under malted in my opinion. I doubt I'll buy this again.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Pour: hefty pour leaves 3 finger white head over clear grainy colored body. Big lazy bubbles. Sticky lacing and a slow descending cap that wants to hang out all night.

Nose: Citrus hops all the way. Grapefruits galore. Grassy or, more appropriately, lemon grass(y). Not much else. I mean, smells refreshing & very much like a session beer, but not so complex.

Mouth: Dominated by hops, all the way. Very piney now that it's in the mouth. I mean, I don't get it. I was excited by the label because the October part of it makes me think malts, and of course the hops part hops. But there is absolutely no balance. I'm looking for an over-hopped German style beer. Now I just get an over-hopped seltzer. Not so much going on here. Not my favorite New Belgium beer. Mouth feel is somewhat flabby.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Picked up as part of a mixed six pack last week on a whim. Poured a light golden color with a huge white head that poured over the sides. Light hoppy aroma, with similar hops on the palate, along with a little sweet malt. Decent, but ultimately forgettable.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Darker straw yellow, with golden highlights. A beautiful clear beer, great sparkling color. Huge loose heads erupts to the rim of my glass. Slightly rocky, firm but soapy and bubbly. this is fantastic headed beer. Quite lively, too. Large streams of carbonation flows from the scoring on the Perfect Pint bottom. Solid lacing coats the glass all the way down. Just gorgeous.

S- Honey malts and crisp, complex hops from the several types used here, notably the Glacier and Cascade variates. Spicy fruity notes in the aroma, mostly pears and apples. Notes of ganja and even champagne? Huge nose, quite complex with several overlapping layers of aromas.

T- Starts off with those wonderful honey malts giving Hoptober a bright entrance upon the palette. But then this brew takes a murky turn into muddled hops; flavors blend without reason and become a overpowering mess of bitter and earthen flavors. Muddled is the best word to describe the middle and finish here, it's just all collapses into itself. No fruitiness, no crispness, just confusing burnt bitterness. What a bummer, I expected great things from the looks and nose. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the taste of this. What happened here?

M- Firm body, lightly medium size and with great smoothness. No overbearing carbonation, just a smooth pulling beer with a zippy edge of bubbles, perfect fit for the American Blonde style.

D- Not great. Despite gorgeous looks and wonderful and complex smells, the tastes are lost in a smoldering collapsed pile. I hate to slam a local favorite so bad, but I don't like the taste of this.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a New Belgium globe glass. Beer was a golden straw color, with a one-finger, foamy white head. Moderate carbonation and heavy lacing.

Aroma was light hops, citrus, grass and spices.

Taste was lightly hoppy, apples and grains. Very crisp and clean. Easy drinking, but a bit on the plain side.

3.19/5  rDev -15.8%

Not what I look for in a beer and a little light for the style. Golden straw, very clear, but has a great white head and lots of retention.

I love the smell of Cascade hops and this is no exception. Your nose fills up with pine and citrus notes.

Deosn't taste as good as it smells. The pine and citrus is there, and your palate will mention spices like cloves and all spice, but the different flavors don't seem to go well together.

The mouthfeel isn't great either. It's pretty much bitter from beginning to end, which is fine, but it's almost sour in the swallow.

It's not a bad beer to drink, but the flavors are pretty stout and like I said, I didn't feel they went very well together. It has great lacing, however.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a bright golden color with a good 1/2inch foam on the top. The smell somewhat funky as to what was expected. Aroma isn't that strong and really doesn't stick out. Maybe it's me. Bottle says it's a 5 hop 4 malt cornucopia of the earth and I get it but this doesn't really bring anything to the front. I keep getting an almost Belgian funk on the inhale before the sip but then comes a mixture of hops and malts. Sometimes it is a bit sweet others bitter. I am gonna have to try this one again.

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%

I started drinking Hoptober a year ago. It was my gateway to beers with more hops. This is a good beer to drink for my 1st BA anniversary!

Poured aggressively into a stemmed New Belgium glass and the head is still small. It has the color and transparency of pure, filtered apple juice.

The oatiness is much more apparent to me now than it was a year ago, probably because I am more used to the hops now. This beer used to finish like a stronger pale ale, but now I can hardly taste any bitter hops. It's all aromatic citrusy, piney, and pineappley hops.

Even at 6% ABV, this beer feels very drinkable, much like an oktoberfest is drinkable. The bottle says that this is a medium-bodied beer and I don't agree with that.

3.22/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Right out the gate this wasn't impressing me, it had the usual AAL yellow color and head, meanwhile the aroma was pretty mute not giving off much in the way of characteristics that you could describe.

Taste brought on a very slight, warm fall day bitterness and Saaz like hop mouthfeel. The word hop in the beer is a little bit of a curve ball, but ultimately the taste and mouthfeel are the strongest aspect of this beer, which I guess is the most important. Its a decent gateway blonde with slightly more toasted pale malt and light hopping than average.

3.22/5  rDev -15%

A: Beautiful straw yellow with solid head retention
S: Hoppy smell of citrus, almost orange.
T: Citrus hop taste with not alot of carbonation bite. I feel they were going for a smooth drinkable version of an APA and the combinations of hops is very tasty
M: Creamy light carbonation but solid.

D: This is a solid beer however not what I was expecting. I was thinking hoppy Octoberfest and I feel this is more like a lighter APA. I should have known this since the beer is an ale and not a lager. This is a nice fruity ale and at 6% and 40IBU will not not kill you to drink a few.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance- Pale golden with nice frothy white head.
Aroma- Very citrusy and piney
Taste- kind of blah... hop bitterness at end... not much else.
Mouthfeel- High carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel

Not my ideal fall beer... Would have liked them to made a hoppy brown ale..

Hoptober Golden Ale from New Belgium Brewing