Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

13%

Ratings: 5,963 |  Reviews: 1,315

One two three four five

4.97/5  rDev +31.8%

This is one of my favorite beers! It is in my top 3 IPAs. A very west coast type IPA, which I apparently love. Fabulous citrus and floral fragrance and flavor. Quite bitter with a strong grapefruit flavor. Not as balanced and some may prefer, definitely on the hoppy side. But for me, this is a great IPA. I recommend this to anyone who likes a hoppy IPA. Although I am tempted to keep trying new IPAs, and I do, I still manage to always pick up a 6-er of Ranger a few times a years. Long live Ranger.

4.9/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I believe that New Belgium is noted for other than IPA, but I gotta say, as an extreme hophead, they knocked it outta the veritable park with this baby. It is a great value as well and outperforms more expensive ales in terms of flavor, mouth feel, nose and delecability. I have tried hundreds of ales and this one has just the right balance of flavors for me. The fact that they use three of my very favorite hop varieties (chinook, simcoe and cascade) yields a wonderfully citrusy finish that is intense without overpowering the malty deliciousity ;) If you haven"t tried it and you can get it, get it and try it if you like IPA's at all...Enjoy!

4.88/5  rDev +29.4%

One of my favorite IPA's.

Look- Pours a beautiful slightly hazy pale orange with small streams of carbonation.

Smell- Citrusy, hoppy, and a tad sweet, not as aromatic as other IPA's though.

Taste- Wonderfully citrusy and hoppy, ever so slightly sweet that balances out the bitter perfectly. Very very tasty.

Feel- Quite light and easy to drink for the style. Many IPA's I have had are almost a meal in themselves, but not this one. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall- As I said earlier, it's my favorite IPA. Very easy to drink, perfectly balanced, and very tasty. I definitely recommend and I will definitely buy again.

4.87/5  rDev +29.2%

Pours a foamy light bright white head. The aroma is fantastic -- just flowing off the head. The taste is a mouthful of hops but no bitterness at all. It's a wonderful balance of goodness. Highly highly recommended. NB has mastered the IPA! Can't believe it only gets a B+.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

On on draft in Fort Collins, CO at New Belgium. Couldn't be any fresher.

A- Light copper color thick white head. Long lasting head. Served in NBB tulip glass.

S- Citrus-y hop characteristic.

T- Fresh, crisp and hint of grapefruit flavor.

M- Medium body, ABV 6.5 drinks like a 5.0. Good solid
summer session beer. Don't have to choke it down like some other heavily hopped IPA's.

D- This is a solid beer and will be a permanent lineup in the New Belgium "EXPLORE" series. It is not a "seasonal" as others have alluded to. This will be a very good summer session beer for the IPA lovers. I was a solid Sierra Nevada customer (how can you go wrong at $11.99 12 pack) but this beer is lighter, crisper and has way more of that west coast citrus style at half the price. Bombers under $3.50 this is a very good beer for the price.

4.82/5  rDev +27.9%

An inch thick head tops this one, medium density with slow cavitation, total evidence as I drain the glass. A mosaic of various sized bubbles pack against the glass like a football mob.
It's a vision of crystal clear, honey toned, magnifying glass permeated with fine carbonation.
Earthy and damp, with wood and bread and pine hops, a hearty whif of yeast. It smells exactly like brew day, barley, and wheat malt then the linger of hops.
Tastes almost as it smells, a wonderful bread seasoned lightly with Rosemary, the hops come through gently bitter but strong, pine sap and the tiniest touch of caramel and yeast. After it's over the hops linger indefinitely leaving me totally satisfied but eager for more.
Delightlfully smoothe and robust in flavor, this is precisely what beer should taste like! I could see a few of these disappearing fast!

4.82/5  rDev +27.9%

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

I picked this up at whole foods fresh off the truck.. Looking at the bottle there is a unfiltered cloudiness in the lower 1/3 of the bottle.. While pouring I noticed quite a strong floral hop aroma very impressed in this from NB.. The first taste was exceptional there was three levels of of flavor, from instant bite to a strong malt in the middle, then a bitter finish.. Overall very impressed in NB for this one they made it thier way with thier own malt and house yeast.. A

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

4.79/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A true hoppy American IPA. Not as intense as one would immediately think by the look or even the smell of it, but it indeed stands on it's own in a world currently mad about IPAs. An overall fantastic ale.

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%

Bought this one on a whim. The store I was in, ran out of the "Better IPAs". I was supprised.

New Belgium delivers a real IPA, that is well balanced, hoppy enough and has the piney, citrus taste one expects from the west coast IPAs.

The body and hop prescence work really well.

I gave a poured pint to a friend who normally dishes on New Belgium, and he thought I gave him another Nor Cal IPA like RR IPA. He changed his toon.

Pours a brownish red with a white cake head. Retentions is very good and the balance and hop prescence are spot on.

It could have more hop bouquet but that is my only knock on this well made IPA. at >6% it is a good dont drive home after a 6 pack IPA.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing