Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,948 |  Reviews: 1,315

Let me put this gently...All these rating categories do nothing for me. I filled a number because it is required, and there is not a zero I could have given this beer. I cannot smell any difference from one beer to another. My only rating criteria is "I like it or I do not like it." I find some beers are worth more than one, others are not. Ranger IPA is one of the "nots." I had one and found it to be whimpy at best, lacked bite, lacked flavor with little or no character. Now perhaps some folks are far more advance in beer tastes than I, but I know what beers are good to me. Ranger is not a good IPA.

1.08/5  rDev -71.8%

1.32/5  rDev -65.5%

On tap. Pours a clear light amber with a small white head that has decent retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine and dank hops, some light caramel, sugar cookie, and a lot of butterscotch. Quite nasty. The taste is sweet with piney and dank hops, caramel, and tons of butterscotch and buttered popcorn. Nasty butterscotch finish with a light bitterness. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This is one of the worst beers I've had. I only had a couple ounces of it. I'm assuming it was a bad batch, but I won't be ordering it again.

1.44/5  rDev -62.4%

1.46/5  rDev -61.9%

Tastes like a mouthful of pennies

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing