Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,949 |  Reviews: 1,315

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.81/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

to bitter, grapefruit and grass

1.81/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours good with nice head and lacing.

Appearence is medium-light amber. Moderate carbonation.

Very mild citrus with a little funky smell. Not very aromatic.

Piney with mild citrus notes, hoppiness over-powers flavor, very bitter after taste.

Watery feeling, goes flat quickly...you will notice if you cant get past the bitter after taste.

Overall, personally i wont buy again, ive had better that cost less!!

This is my personal opinion.

1.88/5  rDev -50.9%

Severely disappointed to find that this is an extra bitter brew (ESB) not an IPA. This is far too bitter to be considered an IPA. Who can drink stuff this BITTER? It made me sick to my stomach. This is SOUR like taking a huge bite of the white inside of an orange peel, unbearably bitter!

So sour in fact that I called them to see if they take pride in their brews. Apparently not seeing as how I had to suggest that they take down the batch number to see if others had concerns. The lady told me this beer is the #2 IPA, all natural and vegan & that they get a high volume of complaints?! Either label it right or recall the batch.

This is alcohol folks and improper brewing can be dangerous and can make people sick. How can you begin to review a beer that isn't made with pride? No accountability means you don't get my business.

I was trying to get to the bottom of why this beer turned my stomach after drinking it. It's a business with a bottom line.

Severely disappointed to find a failed attempt at beer,
as well as customer service.

NOT IPA.
Dangerous.

1.92/5  rDev -49.9%

Poured from bottle into English pub glass....more Amber than gold but very clear lacing through out glass minimal head on pour that lasted no time....I will freely admit I do not like IPA's but my buddy recommended it so I am trying it...initial smell is awful the hops completely overwhelm anything in the first few sniffs, after my nose adjusts I can smell some caramel possibly some spices but still a ton of hops...taste is surprisingly decent smoother than expected but still has the harshness and dry mouth feel and finish I get when I drink this style....prob wouldn't buy or try again...if you like IPA's you'll probably dig it.

1.99/5  rDev -48%

The pour provides a very light bright colored beer, crystal clear. There isn't much body or head forming so I can't comment much on lacing but there's some.

The aroma brings out an almost vegetable hop note with some citrus grape fruit notes. A bit of caramel malt at the finish to give it some sweetness.

The flavor is a mixed bag of vegetables, grape fruit, caramel malts, perhaps some onion, and well something fake and off.

The body and the carbonation are ok for an IPA.

Ranger goes into my never again beer list. It isn't bad as I love IPA's but there's too much good beer for a brewery to make this. Avoid if you have any other craft options.

After drinking, I realized I don't like IPAs!

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing