Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Reviews: 1,310 | Ratings: 5,903
2.99/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Gorgeous pour, with a two to three finger pillow of sticky foam that adorns the glass until the last swig.

Nose is flat. Some light citrus and pepper, but somewhat stale.

Taste is mild pine sap and woody notes playing alongside subtle citrus rind. Pithy. Alcohol is noticeable and brings a rubbing alcohol like quality. Unpleasantly bitter from the start through to a long, bitter, astringent finish. Medicinal.

Viscous and medium to medium heavy body. Not much tooth, but certainly not light.

This s a good example of the kind of IPA I don't much care for. Decent beer if you like this type of beer, but not my thing

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%

First off you will notice the extreme hops smell. I have never had a beer before that tasted like pure hops. The aroma is better than the taste. It is like drinking a bottle of hay and oats and unprocessed barley. Not an everyday beer, and definitely not fr everyone.

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: [4.25] Very transparent beer. Mild orange in color but noticably clear. Forms about a 1/4 of a finger of head. The head is heterogeneous mix of small and large white bubbles. The head eventually settles to just the sides. The bottle lists the ABV (6.5%) it also has codes for born (10/19/15) and best by (02/28/16).

S: [2.75] Mild pine then something much more dank and musty and maybe something soapy and cat pee.

T: [3.00] Nice citrus flavor up front dominated by orange peel. There are other milder flavors like pine after but the orange peel is the main player.

M: [2.75] A bit watery with an astringent finish. It is strange it is not overly bitter but still has a drying quality.

O: [3.00] Not my favorite IPA. The nose is confusing and maybe a bit off putting. The flavor is similar. The finish is a bit abrasive - not the typical hop bitterness - this is more like soapy or synthetic. Not something I would seek more of.

This was my first experience with IPA's I have to admit I was inexperienced when I gave this beer its first assessment. It was not a fair assessment. A friend of mine told me to keep on trying IPA's, and I did. I came back to Ranger and found that I did like it better than the original assessment, but it is still not the best. The mouth feel is nice, but and the smell is standard of an IPA, but I found the taste unbalanced. It is all hops, and that's it. Perhaps they could take a page from DogFish.

Original assessment:
I love New Belgium Brewing products, but this was hard to swallow. The smell was very hoppy with a hint of mid-eastern spices. I also smelled something like a desert weed. The taste was not like it smelled. It tasted like grass brewed in hairspray. I was very disappointed. This was my first IPA and I will have to say it will take a lot of courage to try another. Maybe I will have to grow my pallet for this style of beer. I will try some more and if my taste for IPA changes, I may revise this review. Otherwise I cannot say that I like it at this time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Super clear gold color with a decent amount of white fluffy head. A little surprised that it is this light golden of a color. Lots of lacing. Tons of tiny little bubbles stuck to the sides.

S: Grass. Hops. Smells very fresh.

T: Grass, hops, grass. Somewhat of a bitter twang near the end. No fruity or citrus hop flavor at all. Can't taste any malt. Decent dry finish though.

M: Light body. Pretty thin mouthfeel.

D: Its okay, I guess. Something about it makes me want to take another sip right away, but I can't really see drinking more than one or two in a sitting. Actually, the more I drink this beer, the less I want of it.

Poured a double deuce into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours an oily copper with just a slight head that leaves a soap scum like lacing down the sides of the glass. This isn't a very pretty beer. Looking down into the glass, it reminds me of extra virgin olive oil sitting on water. The nose is rather unhoppy for its 70 IBU's. Lemon rind, grapefruit and grassy hops come through with just slight bit of toast. Also at the very tail of the aroma is a smell that I can only describe as earthy. The flavor is a bit more hoppy then the aroma but is still toned down from what I expect from an American IPA. Lemon rind, grapefruit, just a bit of pine. White bread and just a little medicinal bitterness at the tail. The mouthfeel is very light and for as oily as its appearance is, it really doesn't coat the mouth in hop bitterness like many of the best American IPA's. The drinkability is about average. I would grab this at a bar that had a pretty crappy selection but if it was Ranger or Boulevard Singlewide, I would take the Singlewide any day.

Very light orange (urine) appearance. Full white fluffy head. Great lacing.

Light, very, very light. earthy, dirty, latex...?

Watery, thin, missing much complexities. Bitterness is very mild and doesn't stand out. This brew is awkwardy light and too relaxed. For sessionable, it's nailed and spot on. For a top tier IPA it's near the bottom. Not memorable.

A very "safe" IPA, there's nothing challenging about this beer. It's run-of-the-mill, IMO. It could be a nice canned option, but for a couch time IPA, it just doesn't fit into my schedule. I want better from NB!!!! Not sure I can purchase again.

Draft. Clear golden orange color, slight white head. Aroma of subtle hops. Taste is slight bitterness not overly bitter. Very little lacing. Lingering on bitter. Decent but nothing spectacular. Decently balanced. Light/medium mouthfeel. A good choice if there is nothing else to be had on tap.

3.01/5  rDev -21.4%

Aroma is floral and mixed, flavor is balanced of course and decent amounts of hop and malt, head retention is not so great.

Mixed feelings about this one... the great folks at New Belgium sure don't specialize in the IPA field, IMHO.
It is very mild on both malt and hops for the style, coming in closer to the American Pale Ale category - barely an IPA by IBU's and malt amounts.

Nevertheless, its drinkable and definitely not BAD - its just not what most probably expect when they read "IPA".

3.01/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz bottle with best by date of 7/17/11 poured into snifter, reviewed on 4/6/11

A: Pours a clear, pale golden color with whitish head that fades relatively quickly leaving decent lacing around glass.

S: Some floral hops, no real malt aroma to speak of. Smells alright but nothing too exciting going on here.

T: Nice hop bitterness up front that fades towards the finish letting some of the malt flavors come through. Hops are the main player in the taste of this one, it would be nice if there was some detectable malt sweetness to balance out the hops, but it just isn't there. Bitterness level is pretty good for an IPA but nothing outstanding.

M: Body is pretty thin with decent carbonation and clean finish.

O: Not bad but not great either, pretty standard IPA. Plenty of hop bitterness but it would be nice to have some more hop aroma and flavor. It would be significantly better if there was a greater malt presence to add some sweetness and body, or at least enough hops to mask the lack of malt.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

1 pint 6 fl oz. bottle, with the date on the bottle that says November 25, 2012. I don't know if that's 'bottled on' or 'best by', so I might be a little late on this one but that bothers me not. I haven't had a Ranger in quite a while, but it's been one of my go-to IPA's especially being that it's only $3.99 a bottle around here. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear amber color with about a finger of fluffy white head. Significant lacing. Poured a giant three finger doughy head on my second pour.

S - Citrus and pine hop smells prevalent for sure. Maybe some faint malts relaxing in the background.

T - Extreme bitter hops for sure. Maybe some roasted nuttiness in the finish, along with a little bit of a sugary sweetness hanging out. Pretty well concocted taste with a nice 6.50% abv, well-balanced, but simple, and extremely bitter tasting. Definitely a beer to go for if you need your hop fix.

M - Very sticky bitter resinous feel. Not unpleasant, just pretty one dimensional.

Overall, in the realm of very bitter IPA's this beer is pretty spot on. However, it is simple and pretty basic tasting, and not a very complex brew. I think I enjoyed this beer much more before I was enlightened by the taste of highly complex IPA's, and before I appreciated stouts and other dark beers also. A decent beer, and I would have it again, but being one of New Belgium's landmark beers, it is slightly unimpressive, and they have released far better beers.

New Belgium Ranger IPA ---3/5.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

A- golden straw with a bronze undertone, one finger head with white lacing as she goes down.

S- smells of hops of course, sugar, and slight citrus, the pine is also a little there, but it's just very vague.

T- the taste is underwhelming, almost no pine taste, very small citrus taste, and it's mostly just hops bitter, and for an ipa it's just one characteristic not blended well with the others it should have.

M- it's light and carbonated, easy in the mouth to drink.

D- it's not too bad slightly more than average, but anymore i want an ipa more than others, for an ipa though i would choose something else.

Not impressed too much here.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Picked up two singles of this in a recent mixed six-pack raid on a local store. Had one during a beer-sharing with friends & it seemed pretty good amidst all the madness, but wanted a few minutes to sit down & have one in peace & quiet. Consumed while watching the first Twins-Sox game of 2010.

Pours a clear orange-amber. Light citrus mixed & crushed with a variety of herbs & a splash of orange zest.

Ranger IPA is heavy on the sweets for an IPA. Sweet malts set the pace, with a pine bath coming in a distant second. Another zing of orange in there. Heavy & viscous, especially for an IPA.

Well, I'm not having the best of beer evenings, yet. This is far too 'balanced' for me, I'd love to have a livelier hop presence in this brew. As is, the malts are more of the focus. Decent enough brew, but not my thing.

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

I was looking forward to this but was slightly disappointed with it. It has a nice hop character but it lacks a balance with the malt. I would drink it again but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

I liked the three hops used in it and the head was 1 finger thick which stuck around for most of the beer.

It has a peppery feel/taste which stayed around longer than I would have liked it too.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Pour was clear yellow with a small head. Didnt smell like much. More alpha acids than anything, but not that much. Lots of powdery sweet malt. The taste follows suit. I dont get much fruit, pine, or anything. Lots of powdery sweet malt, with some bittering presence from the hops. I want more flavor, but just nothing sits there.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Dark gold to light amber color with a two finger egg shell white head with good retention. The aroma is not very strong. It has some grapefruit and grapefruit peeling, with some pine.

The taste is much like the aroma, and also not very strong. Not much of a malt backbone is present, and nothing really grabs my attention. Some grapefruit, peeling, pine, and some biscuit like malt flavor are present. Not terrible, but not impressive either.

Light to medium bodied, decent carbonation, has a bitter aftertaste, and finishes dry. Not bad overall, but there is nothing which makes me want to try this again either.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

This is a good looking beer without a hazey tone to it and some large lingering bone white islands of head.
aroma is about average with it being kinda muted with more baked bread and light lemony yeast aromas.
I can tell this is a fresh bottle the lemon zest notes hit right up front. definently a citrus forward beer, there is just enough space for some biscuit and light earthyness.

An Average Ipa you could find anywhere and enjoy drinking, but if your at a big liquor store, there are better options.

Chad

3.07/5  rDev -19.8%

Ba Review #87
Served On: 11/13/2011
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV:6.5%
Date/ Code: 08JAN12

My beer store just started carrying New Belgium bombers. I paid $3.99 – you can’t beat that!

Look: Light gold color - more yellow than gold. High level of clarity with mediocre carbonation. Head fizzled down to a thin white coating of various sized bubbles.

Smell: Aroma was crisp and hoppy with notes of citrus and Belgian yeast esters.

Taste: Watery mouth feel. First were the citrus and pine notes from the hops. Middle was bitter and rather dry with faint pepper notes that are typical of New Belgium offerings. Finish and aftertaste were very clean with a slight citrus that lingered.

Overall this is a very mild IPA. The hop profile just wasn't as pronounced as I was hoping for. I experienced a similar palate with the New Belgium Hoptober this year. It was an ok brew. I think they may have been shooting for drinkability just like the Fat Tire and Hoptober. Probably won’t seek this out again, but it was enjoyable.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Many thanks to csmiley for the bottle.

Ranger pours a golden color. It’s mostly clear and has a slight orange tint when held to light. A soft white head covers the top and rises to about a finger in depth. It recedes to a surface covering quickly and holds there for a bit. Lacing was definitely sticky and moderate.

The nose is pretty average. It’s weak and needs quite a bit more strength. It kicks off with some caramel and toasted malt notes. Smells a tad sweet. I’m not crazy about toasted malts in IPAs. There are some light hoppy notes. They smell mostly citric. Grapefruit and orange are most notable. There’s a light touch of pine, as well. Alcohol is not noticeable. Eh. It’s not bad. Not quite good either.

The flavor is a bit better than the nose. Not quite enough to warrant a score bump. It does have a caramel and toasted malt base. It’s okay. The toasted variety really doesn’t taste that great. There’s a bit of a sweet flavor, but it’s not too strong. The hop profile is okay. It does feature citrus grapefruit and orange flavors. A light piney or grassy flavor is also noted. It leans in the hop direction, but not by much. It is pretty well balanced. Alcohol is light. Finishes with a toasted malt and light hop flavor.

Ranger has a body that’s on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is active, but isn’t quite buzzy. It has a pretty good feel. Better than anticipated. It goes down alright.

Ranger is an okay IPA. It’s not great by any stretch. I’m not a fan of the toasted malt flavor. Just doesn’t mesh well with the hop flavor in my opinion. There are tons of better IPAs out there. This one’s okay. It’s maybe worth a try. Stick with the single bottle if you can.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

This is an IPA I always recommend to people that are new to craft beer as its very basic. Nothing too complex in smell or taste. A nice golden color, but not much else to compliment here. I would not recommend this to anyone unless they are transitioning into IPAs from the stale beers that I won't name.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Ok I really thought this was going to be better than this but here it goes.

Pours a caramel clear redish golden color. Very thin head. No lacing.

Aroma is of some cascades and some noble hop. Not a very good combo IMO. It's ok.

Taste is not that great. I've had worse but not great. It has a weird grassy/plant bitterness. Not the citrusy piney bitterness of my favorite IPA's. I'm assuming they used some sort of noble hops in this beer. Not that good of a choice. Slight caramel malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is higher carb for style.

Overall I probably won't buy this one again. I have access to way better IPA's so there will be no need to buy this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

There is some truth in the evolution of rating beer. Just a month ago I would have been
Much happier with Ranger IPA. But after rating over 10 so-so to excellent PNW brews, I am not very impressed with Ranger at all, it is just OK. Maybe it should be re-marketed as a Summer Ale?

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

It is 6.5 abv & you can taste all 6.5 of it. Strong alcohol taste which I do not like about this beer. Has a very pineappley smell which you think you would taste but you cannot taste the pineapple only smells like pineapples. piney on the front & bitter on the back. I use to like this beer until I put it up against Jai Alai & sweet water IPA. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a domestic ipa then I would much rather spend my $ on sweet water or Jai alai. For the price this beer is not to good.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a nice soapy off white head, slightly cloudy golden orange body. Not much of a smell, some american hops of some sort, a touch of sweet carmel malts. Tastes a touch sweet at first, some grassy hop bitterness, touch of citrus. After each sip this finishes quick and quite bitter and dry. Too dry for me to drink a few of theses. Medium body, medium carbing. I wish this had a bigger smell. Thanks mike for the sample.

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Crystal clear pale golden color with a huge fluffy white head that fell slowly leaving generous lacing on the glass. Aroma is ripe with fresh orange and grapefruit peel, with a touch of malt underneath it all, a bit herbal and spicy, but really no sweetness and not much enjoyable hop aroma emanating from the glass. Taste is dry, herbal, and with average bitterness. Kind of disappointed that this one doesn't have as much hop flavor as I usually like. Nothing in the way of juicy fruitiness, just dry bitter, peppery hops. This is not the style of IPA that I enjoy most. Malt flavor is barely there, only a dry cracker-like quality. Underwhelming. Light bodied, dry, medium carb, dull, boring. Not getting into this one. It's by no means a drain pour, but it's boring as hell. It seems like breweries are making IPAs just to make IPAs these days. NB should stick to their sours.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing