Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,943 |  Reviews: 1,315

1.99/5  rDev -48%

The pour provides a very light bright colored beer, crystal clear. There isn't much body or head forming so I can't comment much on lacing but there's some.

The aroma brings out an almost vegetable hop note with some citrus grape fruit notes. A bit of caramel malt at the finish to give it some sweetness.

The flavor is a mixed bag of vegetables, grape fruit, caramel malts, perhaps some onion, and well something fake and off.

The body and the carbonation are ok for an IPA.

Ranger goes into my never again beer list. It isn't bad as I love IPA's but there's too much good beer for a brewery to make this. Avoid if you have any other craft options.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

12oz Can into a pint glass

A- Poured a nice copper orange which looked more yellow in direct light, huge slightly off white head from this brew, left decent lacing throughout

S- BOOM citrus and piney hops after a few it gets to be a bit much but for the first couple it's a nice IPA smell, right at the end there is a little sweetness, like caramel

T- I think the balance is pretty off kilter here, not necessarily a bad thing but it it different. it starts out so hoppy and peaks with that pine flavor then just totally bottoms out and tastes like what I imagine dead flowers would taste like, dirt and grass. Again, as with smell, it got old after a few

M- Carbonation, not obnoxiously so mind you. It's wet and dry at the same time, the boatload of hops really leaves a dry taste at the end

O- I received a few of these from a friend and had the ability to try it again, and again, and again... I hope my taste testing of more than a few didn't skew my thoughts of it but I think the super hoppiness and relative dry aftertaste seemed a consensus from what I've read.

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great to see New Belgium show up in Ohio, I heard about it, here's the new labeled Ranger IPA at a wowing $2.99 a bomber, I passed on the Fat Tire Ale and the Tripel and got two bombers of Ranger IPA. The forest ranger hat full of hops had me at hello. Beer pours a brilliant copper body with slightly off white head forming thick and rising well above the rim of my pint glass. Aroma earthy, pine, citric qualities...hey gang the hops are all here. Perfect drinkability, clean bitter hops but finishes clean and bready. The type of sessionable hops I could consume in number, albeit the ABV at 6.5% my stand in my way, clean cereal biscuit notes bring out a bread like character, that meshes well with the hops. Let me talk about the hops since it's an IPA and all...great hop flavor, grapefruit peel, pines, earthiness a bit of dirt kicked up on the palate. The label mentions Simcoe, Cascade, and Chinook relatively clean sharp bitter finish that's well balanced and doesn't really kill you with the hops, again the balance and drinkability with hop flavor think of drinking a bomber of something really mass produced with actual malt flavor and hop bitterness married in perfect balance. Overall I can't stop buying this after two bottles, I will drink the rest of the local stock available to me.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%