Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,943 |  Reviews: 1,315

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%

It has been a while since I tried Ranger and if I remember correctly I was sadly disappointed by New Belgium's first release of this IPA. However, I am giving it a second try and must say for a single IPA this is a good IPA, not great mind you but a butt ton better than the last two IPAs I have had to date. The color is what I expect a light honey and a pout that creates a nice head and dissipates evenly across the top of the beer. My first smell off the top surprised right away I detected that nice grapefruit smell. The first taste went in quite well as the beer sat on my tongue the bitterness spread evenly across my palate and then cleared out right after I swallowed the beer down. The residual beer taste in my mouth was pleasant enough to warrant a second taste just to make sure I wasn't deceiving myself, and then of course a third and fourth and so on and so forth. NB you all did a great job in improving this IPA.

3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A - Burnished golden color, some orange; extremely clear. Head is bone-colored and made of extremely fine bubbles. Does not pile very high, but remains as a significant lacy covering across the beer and sheets of lace on the glass.

S - Aromas are dominated by NW US hops. They are earthy, pine-like and a bit "catty" with some lemon or lemongrass. There is a small amount of graham cracker from the malt. The impression is clean and fresh.

T - The taste is also dominated by hops. Strong, sharp hops bitterness that matches with resiny, grape fruit flavors. Some hints of bready malt in the mid-palate, then a clean, dry finish. Not much complexity.

M - Light to medium body. Sharp bitterness that almost seems soapy. Light alcohol sensation. Creamy carbonation.

O - Overall, a pretty good IPA, but it doesn't stand out for me. It doesn't have a great depth of flavor or aroma to me, and there is no single characteristic that stands out.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

There is some truth in the evolution of rating beer. Just a month ago I would have been
Much happier with Ranger IPA. But after rating over 10 so-so to excellent PNW brews, I am not very impressed with Ranger at all, it is just OK. Maybe it should be re-marketed as a Summer Ale?

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing