Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

13%

Ratings: 5,962 |  Reviews: 1,315

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. I got it from the folly pack.

A - Pours a nice copper color with a minimal amount of head.

S - I smelled some pine hops with some citrus aroma.

T - Tasted pretty standard to me, hops were balanced well and what I likes most is the barley syrup that allows a nice finish.

M - Light to medium body and mild carbonation allow the pine hops to come out as it gets warmer.

O - Overall, this was pretty standard. I know this isn't there flagship beer, but its better than other than other mainstream IPA's.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

I picked this up at a local grocery store where it was 3 for 7 bucks. I wasn't sure what to expect, thinking maybe they were old, or bad, or just didn't sell well. So...

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Look: Pretty solid on all fronts. A fluffy white head that brings on some serious lacing. The brew is a crystal clear gold.

Smell: The standard notes you usually get with a wallop of cascade/chinook. Awesome citrus and floral goodness. I thought I detected a hint of banana at first. I'll see if I can pick up more on it as the beer warms.

Taste: I've been on a pumpkin ale kick for quite a while, so maybe that's why, but this thing packed a punch! I wish I had some higher IBUs around, so I could compare, but this seems like a bit more than 70. Obviously in a good way. Definitely some sweetness at the end. Makes for a very well balanced brew.

Feel: Medium/Light bodied, with a nice dry texture. I'm not too crazy about slick beers, and this one isn't one of those. Very clean.

Overall: I was extremely surprised. I was judging it by the price, having never heard of it, and it paid dividends! I also just got done mowing the lawn, and it made for a very awesome session of cooling down and relaxing.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I have been pretty new to the IPA market as of late. I have drank a lot of the great ones (in my area), I love a full hoppy beer. In my opinion Ranger IPA is so-so. It has a nice rich color of copper. Very little head. The aroma is excellent. The first taste is also very good. But that is where it stops. For an advertised 70 IBU there is no bite from the hops. You still get that pine, citrus feel in your mouth, but only when you drink. It has no staying power. The sweetness of the hops are non existent. It is smooth and well balanced. I would say it could be an IPL also. It's a decent session beer if only the ABV were a bit lower, the 6.5 does nothing to help. Worth a try, you will definitely love the way your belches taste.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

BIG piney hops! super crazy head stands up and stays there. the smell of this beer is is all evergreen and spicy hops. taste is big pine with some resiny notes on aftertaste. BIG carbonation and easy drinkability for a more alcoholic beer. (6.5%). If you enjoy american style I.P.A.s then this beer is a no brainer.

This was my first experience with IPA's I have to admit I was inexperienced when I gave this beer its first assessment. It was not a fair assessment. A friend of mine told me to keep on trying IPA's, and I did. I came back to Ranger and found that I did like it better than the original assessment, but it is still not the best. The mouth feel is nice, but and the smell is standard of an IPA, but I found the taste unbalanced. It is all hops, and that's it. Perhaps they could take a page from DogFish.

Original assessment:
I love New Belgium Brewing products, but this was hard to swallow. The smell was very hoppy with a hint of mid-eastern spices. I also smelled something like a desert weed. The taste was not like it smelled. It tasted like grass brewed in hairspray. I was very disappointed. This was my first IPA and I will have to say it will take a lot of courage to try another. Maybe I will have to grow my pallet for this style of beer. I will try some more and if my taste for IPA changes, I may revise this review. Otherwise I cannot say that I like it at this time.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

It has been a while since I tried Ranger and if I remember correctly I was sadly disappointed by New Belgium's first release of this IPA. However, I am giving it a second try and must say for a single IPA this is a good IPA, not great mind you but a butt ton better than the last two IPAs I have had to date. The color is what I expect a light honey and a pout that creates a nice head and dissipates evenly across the top of the beer. My first smell off the top surprised right away I detected that nice grapefruit smell. The first taste went in quite well as the beer sat on my tongue the bitterness spread evenly across my palate and then cleared out right after I swallowed the beer down. The residual beer taste in my mouth was pleasant enough to warrant a second taste just to make sure I wasn't deceiving myself, and then of course a third and fourth and so on and so forth. NB you all did a great job in improving this IPA.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing