Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

13%

Ratings: 5,973 |  Reviews: 1,316
4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a snifter glass. The beer pours clear dark golden with a thick white head and visible streaming bubbles rising from the bottom. The head retreats slowly as it should for an IPA, leaving some nice lacing in its wake. The aroma is of clean grapefruit with some pine. I get some caramel in the nose as well. The flavor follows the smell pretty well. There's some nice bright grapefruit and bitter piney hops in the back. There's also some caramel sweetness from the malt as well as some breadiness. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is sticky and the hop bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. This beer is pleasantly drinkable. This is a very good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

rated 4.25 on Mar 29, 2013. Bought a bottle from Ralphs (bottled on 06/09/2015), and it tastes fishy, buttery.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been eying this IPA for a while because it is widely available and a little cheaper than most. I got one bottle as a test case and I will say that I am favorably impressed.

A: I drank it straight out of the bottle so for appearance I just rated it the average of the other scores. Frankly, I have no idea how it looks, nor do I much care.

S: I was rewarded with that wonderful Simcoe floral/fruit bouquet as soon as I popped the crown. Good stuff! Smells fresh. My bottle had a drink date of May 19, 2013. My only slight disappointment is that after a few minutes most of the much-revered Simcoe nose had dissipated leaving merely an average IPA smell. Still, great while it lasted! If it had maintained the initial nose throughout the bottle it would have earned a 5. When people see me snorting the fumes coming out of a bottle of IPA they give me strange looks. I just smile and nod knowingly.

T: Entirely acceptable! Look, it's not Pliny, but it is a very fine IPA with great hops taste and bitterness. I would never turn this one down. The fact that it packs all this flavor into 6.5% ABV means I can almost treat it as a session beer and not get wasted after a few.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side -- for me -- but the hops resins linger enough to give me much pleasure.

Overall: Yes, I will buy this again. It scores many points on a value scale of enjoyment/dollar. I think I'll bring 12 up for the family's Easter dinner. I know some of them will like it!

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing