Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

13%
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,951 |  Reviews: 1,315

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been eying this IPA for a while because it is widely available and a little cheaper than most. I got one bottle as a test case and I will say that I am favorably impressed.

A: I drank it straight out of the bottle so for appearance I just rated it the average of the other scores. Frankly, I have no idea how it looks, nor do I much care.

S: I was rewarded with that wonderful Simcoe floral/fruit bouquet as soon as I popped the crown. Good stuff! Smells fresh. My bottle had a drink date of May 19, 2013. My only slight disappointment is that after a few minutes most of the much-revered Simcoe nose had dissipated leaving merely an average IPA smell. Still, great while it lasted! If it had maintained the initial nose throughout the bottle it would have earned a 5. When people see me snorting the fumes coming out of a bottle of IPA they give me strange looks. I just smile and nod knowingly.

T: Entirely acceptable! Look, it's not Pliny, but it is a very fine IPA with great hops taste and bitterness. I would never turn this one down. The fact that it packs all this flavor into 6.5% ABV means I can almost treat it as a session beer and not get wasted after a few.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side -- for me -- but the hops resins linger enough to give me much pleasure.

Overall: Yes, I will buy this again. It scores many points on a value scale of enjoyment/dollar. I think I'll bring 12 up for the family's Easter dinner. I know some of them will like it!

4.41/5  rDev +17%

A full-headded beer, this one is a careful pour.

Smells fresh and fruity.

Not too extreme on the hops, but very nice, full, and sparkly profile. Clean.

A very well-balanced IPA with a pleasing, refreshing, and not too heavy feel.

Very drinkable, and easy to repeat!

3.71/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Consumed 3/22/13

Note: I picked up a bomber of this from a little shop across from the street from my hotel in San Francisco. Why? Because I drank a sixer of Deschutes Mirror Pond within 24 hours of buying it and I was out of beer. The hotel staff probably thinks I'm an alcoholic. Win.

Appearance: Pours crystal clear, a light caramel color - somewhere between amber and gold - nicely sized, slightly off-white head - leaves some impressive lacing

Smell: Decidedly on the mild side - hoppy, but not particularly potent - orange and grapefruit - mostly peel and pith, a touch oily - a hint of lemon as well - some pine - nicely bready base, pale and some caramel

Taste: A bit more interesting than the smell, and nicely balanced - hoppy, mostly in a pithy, oily way - some resinous pine - actually more bitter than I anticipated, and the bitterness sticks around thanks to the oily character (not a bad thing) - malts are light; they smelled balanced, but in the taste, the hops overpower the pale, bready, crackery malts - some earthiness as well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nice carbonation, oily aftertaste

Overall: Interesting and drinkable

I'm not a huge fan of the hop profile, as it reminds me of some big, burly DIPAs. However, this doesn't have a big, sweet malt profile. So I actually find it charming in an unexpected way. While I'll be less excited to have this again compared to some other New Belgium offerings, I'll definitely drink this again when it's available on the East Coast.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing