Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Ratings: 5,962 |  Reviews: 1,315

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

rated 4.25 on Mar 29, 2013. Bought a bottle from Ralphs (bottled on 06/09/2015), and it tastes fishy, buttery.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been eying this IPA for a while because it is widely available and a little cheaper than most. I got one bottle as a test case and I will say that I am favorably impressed.

A: I drank it straight out of the bottle so for appearance I just rated it the average of the other scores. Frankly, I have no idea how it looks, nor do I much care.

S: I was rewarded with that wonderful Simcoe floral/fruit bouquet as soon as I popped the crown. Good stuff! Smells fresh. My bottle had a drink date of May 19, 2013. My only slight disappointment is that after a few minutes most of the much-revered Simcoe nose had dissipated leaving merely an average IPA smell. Still, great while it lasted! If it had maintained the initial nose throughout the bottle it would have earned a 5. When people see me snorting the fumes coming out of a bottle of IPA they give me strange looks. I just smile and nod knowingly.

T: Entirely acceptable! Look, it's not Pliny, but it is a very fine IPA with great hops taste and bitterness. I would never turn this one down. The fact that it packs all this flavor into 6.5% ABV means I can almost treat it as a session beer and not get wasted after a few.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side -- for me -- but the hops resins linger enough to give me much pleasure.

Overall: Yes, I will buy this again. It scores many points on a value scale of enjoyment/dollar. I think I'll bring 12 up for the family's Easter dinner. I know some of them will like it!

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%