Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.06/5  rDev +6%

A very good IPA. Orange juice and biscuit aroma. Orange peel flavour leads, touch of caramel in the middle with a bitter, pithy finish. Medium light body. An extremely solid IPA. Has a distinct orange fruit hop character, which when coupled with its off dry character and pithy bitterness, really makes for a refreshing beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks, John M. for bringing this one back from Atlanta.

A: Clear, golden, with a 2 finger white head that slowly whittles down. Thick lacing.

S: Grapefruit-y hops. Grassy, piney.

T: Muted hops. Light grapefruit. Grainy, floral, smooth. A slightly bitter finish. Not over-hoppy for an IPA.

M: Medium with thick, frothy carbonation.

O: Light, refreshing. Could drink a couple of these,.

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ranger IPA. Thanks, Jeremy!

Unfortunately, this is my only one and the best before date reads '25NOV12'. I imagine this is no-good.

Pours wonderfully clear. Apricot in color with a sticky white head that holds its cap.

Tangerine, pineapple, and sage; all from the hops. A very pleasantly fruity hop aroma that seems tame (from age), but still quite delightful. No pushy malts, as they all stay very pale, and offer little sweetness in the nose.

Still has some nice hop crispness. More of that citrus note from the hops with grapefruit, now, thrown into the mix. Green tea and floral notes in the backdrop that seem accentuated by the forefront tangerine. I can't believe this IPA is over six months old! Some rice cake malts reveal themselves with some light tang. Bitterness is commendably assertive, pretty medium for the style. Finish carries with it the slight breath of alcoholic strength.

Drinks a little slow for an IPA. Pretty appropriate in strength, if not a little obvious. The carbonation is lighter, however, and doesn't drive the beer down the gullet. Body feel medium when it probably is short of that.

After what I thought might be a dud experience, I'm easily finishing off this one and craving a fresh bottle! This one could really knock my socks off!

4.19/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a dark golden color. Misty body. Good head. Good lacing. Looks good!

S-I am immediately attracted to the aroma. It has a 'hard to describe' aspect to it that I really enjoy. Maybe its how the citrus is composed? Maybe its how the other fruits dance across my senses? Not sure but I love how the hops smell here. Really digging the floral aspect of the hops. Lighter cracker malt hangs low, underneath the hop bouquet.

T-Taste is great. All the hoppy flavors come together and join forces. Floral and grassy and piney but still well fruited. Finishes with a very vibrant hoppy flavor. Malt doesn't really get in the way of anything but its there.

M-Sessionable. Love the bitterness level. No booze. Drinks quickly and efficiently.

O/D-I really enjoyed this beer. I would drink it a lot if readily available to me. It leaves a memorable flavor quality that I crave. This one is a gem and I think it deserves a bit more respect.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

1 pint 6 fl oz. bottle, with the date on the bottle that says November 25, 2012. I don't know if that's 'bottled on' or 'best by', so I might be a little late on this one but that bothers me not. I haven't had a Ranger in quite a while, but it's been one of my go-to IPA's especially being that it's only $3.99 a bottle around here. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear amber color with about a finger of fluffy white head. Significant lacing. Poured a giant three finger doughy head on my second pour.

S - Citrus and pine hop smells prevalent for sure. Maybe some faint malts relaxing in the background.

T - Extreme bitter hops for sure. Maybe some roasted nuttiness in the finish, along with a little bit of a sugary sweetness hanging out. Pretty well concocted taste with a nice 6.50% abv, well-balanced, but simple, and extremely bitter tasting. Definitely a beer to go for if you need your hop fix.

M - Very sticky bitter resinous feel. Not unpleasant, just pretty one dimensional.

Overall, in the realm of very bitter IPA's this beer is pretty spot on. However, it is simple and pretty basic tasting, and not a very complex brew. I think I enjoyed this beer much more before I was enlightened by the taste of highly complex IPA's, and before I appreciated stouts and other dark beers also. A decent beer, and I would have it again, but being one of New Belgium's landmark beers, it is slightly unimpressive, and they have released far better beers.

New Belgium Ranger IPA ---3/5.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing