Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,948 |  Reviews: 1,315

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

The clear body, pale golden color, and the large head made this an attractive pour to look at. The smell dominated by was citric hops, tropical fruit, and pine. The taste followed right along, with a bitter start, a fruity middle, and a piney finish. Mouthfeel was creamy and on the lighter side of medium. Not much of an aftertaste, and not any stickiness either. This beer was firmly in the West Coast school of clean and dry IPA's, and was quite quenching as a result. I usually prefer a bit more malt character in my IPAs, but this was clearly a quality product.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is amber colored with two inches of off white head.

S - I get a blend of citrus and juniper.

T - It started out with plenty of citrus. Through the middle it kind of lost flavor. Then it finished with some pine.

M - Pretty thin

O - It's a decent ipa. I certainly won't rave about it, but it is a solid beer.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Clear light amber-orange with tall white head that laces the glass.

S- Sweet grain and pine hops.

T- Hoppy from start to finish. Mostly pine hops but there are herbal and slight citrus notes. Sweet malt makes up the backbone of this one.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Bitterness of the aftertaste coats the mouth and sticks around for a little while after you finish the drink.

O- Good but not great, very drinkable IPA that is nice to enjoy a full 22 oz bottle of.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Ranger IPA a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at Meijers. since New Belgium just came to Michigan I thought I should give their IPA a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is ok, I like the hop cones, but it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of an amber and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down a thick layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This was a very good looking IPA, the color was nice and the head and lacing were very impressive.

S- The aroma starts off with a slight grainy and bready malt aroma that has a higher amount of medium sweetness and quickly gives way to a good amount of hops that impart some citrus, floral, piney, and spicy aromas with the citrus sticking out the most imparting some nice mango and pineapple aromas. The aroma was really nice for an American IPA and full of citrus hops, I liked the aroma a lot, it's pretty aromatic.

T- The taste is similar to the aroma, but it's not as intense, it starts off with some nice piney hops that give way to some citrus hops that impart those nice aspects that I got in the aroma, it's just lighter. After that comes some slightly sweet malts that impart a thin grainy and bready flavors with a lower amount of medium bitterness and a piney and citrus like aftertaste.. The taste was ok, but I wish it was as nice as the aroma, as it is it's slightly above average tasting.

M- Smooth, crisp, a little dry, a little thin, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it felt a little thin and watery to me, still not that bad though.

Overall I liked this beer and and I thought it was an above average example of the style, it had some really nice aspects to it, but it fell a little short when it got to the taste and mouthfeel. This beer had good drinkability, it went down smooth, was a little refreshing, and the flavors did an ok job at holding my attention, one bomber is enough for me, but if I was really in the mood for an American IPA, I could see drinking two of them. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both really good and the highlights of this beer. What I liked least about this beer was how the taste just couldn't live up to the aroma, the taste wasn't bad by any means, but the hops didn't show up as much as I would have liked. I would buy this beer again when looking for a decent and cheap IPA, but I don't think I will buy it often, I recommend giving this a try to any IPA fan. All in all this beer was nice, it didn't wow me, but I was impressed with some aspects of it and I would call this a pretty solid American IPA, nice work New Belgium a solid beer from a solid Brewery.

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A not too dark, yellow with some red hues, and looking different than many IPA, not so much tannic orange. Didn't pay any attention to the head. Sometimes don't even care. Anyway, nose is fresh pine and some fruit and sweetness. Smells balanced. Taste confirms the balance, a hoppy and distinctive citrus rind, and fruit, and balsam, supported by a nice, but not overdone malt presence. I really like the taste. Bitter notes persist, inviting another drink. Mouth-feel is terrific, carbonation moderate. Great for the price and newly stocked nearby, I'm sure to have another soon.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap in a pint glass.

A- golden orange/copper color with 1+ finger head that leaves good sticky lacing.

S- It has all the IPA aromas; lots of citrus, lemon and grapefruit, some pine, some malt back there, too.

T- Citus flavor dominates. A little pine and malt for balance.

M-Cool, thin mouthfeel makes it an easy drinker. Tingles.

O- The best offering that I've had so far from this brewery. It's a drinkable IPA that I'll look forward to having again.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

$3.99 for a 22oz bottle @ Bevco. Meijer had them for $2.85 so loaded up on them. Brewed with Pale and Crystal 120 malts. Hopped with Chinook, Simcoe, and Cascade. 6.5% ABV, 70 IBU's, 187 kcal/12oz.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear bright medium gold, forming a tall bone white head that is exceptionally sticky and forms solid sheets of lace. Carbonation is moderately strong, ~2.8-3 carbs. The aroma is pungent with grapefruit, skunkweed, pine and cat pee. The mouthfeel is very crisp and clean with a dry finish. Medium bodied. The taste is a recap of the aroma, displaying those hop qualities beautifully well. The hops are very well balanced with the malts, letting the malt character shine through without being cloying or syrupy. Medium firm bitterness, but not overwhelming for an IPA. Clean finish, no off-flavors or aromas.

A really great IPA in the west-coast style. Highly recommended.

Ranger from New Belgium Brewing