Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

Ratings: 5,939 |  Reviews: 1,314

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Beautiful tight stark white head that rose about an inch above the glass without falling. Heavy lacing that trailed to the bottom of the glass. Earthy aroma after the pour. Nicely balanced and uncomplicated hop profile. Consistent from the beginning to end and very easily drinkable. A smallish IPA at 6.5% leaves plenty of room for more.

4.14/5  rDev +8.1%

I am not a fan of big IPA's - particularly american IPA's, but this was given to me from a friend returning from out of state.

Appearance: Clear/golden with a nice white head and good carbonation

Smell: All I get here is funky pine/grapefruit. Like a hammer.

Taste: Again, I am not a huge hophead - and this is on the edge of unpleasant to me...but I kept going back to it. It flirts with the edge of bitter but keeps it really interesting with a balance of malt/herbal and floral notes. Interesting enough to keep me wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry with a long, semi-sweet finish

Overall: NB remarks that this is a 'sessionable' beer...@ 6.5% I wouldn't go that far. This is however, an amazingly interesting beer - good introduction for the hop novice on what notes the simcoe and cascade hops can bring to the party.

Serving type: can

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

I really enjoy this beer. The hop aroma is awesome, the mouthfeel still packs a bunch but isn't overly heavy. This is a great "go-to" IPA if you aren't feeling too adventurous.

The beer has a nice dark golden appearance with a good head and very good lacing.

Overall, I'd recommend this beer to any IPA-lover and definitely will continue buying myself.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention is good and a small amount of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Mix of herbal, pine, and citrus hops. Orange, pineapple, and pine are strongest. Lightly bready, but clean overall.

3.5 T: Like the nose. Orange, pineapple, and pine. Moderate bitterness. Light breadiness and caramel.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light creaminess. Good enough.

3.5 D: Easy drinking IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up in Ponderay, Idaho. From a 22 oz. brown bomber, pours out a bright clear golden hue, tall foamy off-white head that retains well and slowly settles to a thick rocky cap. Lots of latticework lacing left in its wake.

The aroma presents an enjoyable blend of the Cascade, Chinook and Simcoe hops, with a layering of earthy, leafy, slightly herbal character, along with pine and citrus. Mild bready and grainy malt in the background.

Big spicy grapefruit hops up front in the flavour, some clean bready malt trying to hold its own behind it all, followed by more citrus and finishing some sharp wet green herbal notes and dry grapefruit pith.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, a bit watery and slippery in the texture, moderate carbonation.

Nice blend of hops, although they're all similar enough to blend into the same direction after a while. All hops with this one, barely a trace of malt backbone, but it delivers the goods with a very clean character to it.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Another of my CANQuest (TM) Wants bites the dust, this time thanks to the generous folks at Max's On Broadway in Baltimore! I brought the San Diego Rock Star duo of Colby Chandler (Ballast Point) and Chuck (Green Flash) in on our way to SAVOR from PHL Beer Week and found a number of new CANs during the visit.

From the CAN: "Are Beer Rangers real?"; "We're hoppy/You're happy [or vice versa]"; "Alternatively empowered/Employee owned".

The Crack & Glug was flawless and I soon had two fingers of dense, tawny head with fantastic retention. Where did this humidity suddenly come from?!? As it slowly fell, as foam is wont to do, I was left with some generous lacing in its wake. Color was an orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity and I just remembered that I wanted to ask for a Lovibond scale at SAVOR, dang it! Nose was redolent with pine hops and I was happy that it was hoppy. More truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and perhaps I have become jaded in my hophead ways, but this did not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. It was plenty hoppy with a caramel malt backbone evident on the tongue, but I was not aroused as I was with the earlier Shift. It could also be that I had it as a Want for so long that it took on mythic proportions ... I dunno. Finish was super dry and as I think about it, this was a pretty darn good IPA, and in a CAN no less. I'd best take my own advice and kwicherbichen.

4.25/5  rDev +11%