Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

firstprev| 5901-5925 | 5926-5950 | 5951-5975  | next → last
Ratings: 5,971 |  Reviews: 1,315
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

best before july 2010

pours bright golden orange with a big 2+ finger pillowy head that had great retention

smell is nice and light floral grapefruit and other citrus hops

taste is much like the nose - this ipa is not overpowering my taste buds - clean floral citrus hops with a light malt backbone

mouthfeel is light crisp yet smooth and creamy - the perfect amount of carbonation

drinkability - this has session ipa written all over it - and it has the taste to back it up to boot

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear pale orange-yellow with a large white head, and good lacing.

smell is of grapefruit, hops, malt, citrus, some floral notes, and some caramel.

taste is smooth, citrus, hops, and dandelion, ends a little tangy on the tongue and nicely bitter.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz single picked up today at the COOP... Poured into my Delirium goblet.. 2 finger head dies slowly leaving nice sheets of lacing... the brew is dark gold with hints of orange.

Nose has a nice mix of grapefruit.. citrus.. and good herb.. lite pale maltiness..

Good bitterness out of the gate.. all the above hop flavors with just enough sorta bready malty essence... pretty damn dry on the finish with a sorta catty hoppiness that lingers for a bit... Medium body with an effervescent yet mild carbonation...

I am surprised I liked this one as much as I did... but I have a question, is there a "house" malt that New Belgium uses in alot of it's beer... sorta toasty... biscuity.. etc.... I get it pretty heavy in Fat Tire... I would guess a Biscuit or maybe Victory malt.

Anyway... this was pretty nice.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

22 ounce bomber from LaBodega in Riverside, CA in late January 2010. I hadn't heard of this one before, but let's give it a go!

Pours a pretty golden color with lots of head anda steady carbonation keeping it active.

Floral, light juniper oils, and orange peel in the aroma, followed up by a stronger version in the flavor- well played.

Easily drinkable- almost too drinkable. A very nice example of a US version of the fabled IPA, not too heavy, but solidly built. Recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Clear and gold; a nice slow forming, steady head with great retention and nice lacing

S: Strong blend of hops: citrus rind, grapefruit, subtle pine characteristics; this is a fresh hoppy dominated smell but a subtle grain quality is present as well

T: Nice bitterness up front, pine quality dominates but there is another subtle spice/ herb quality prevalent that I can't quite pinpoint

F: Pretty even, balanced mouth feel

D: A very drinkable and delicious hoppy, American IPA

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Hmmmm, i am honestly, pleasantly surprised. When i saw that NB was doing an IPA i was not sure it would come out well since they have their style, but its actually really good.

It pours a a clear medium orange/gold color with a thin foamy head. Nice lacing.

Smells of a large bouquet of floral hop spiciness, citrus, pine, the usual IPA stuff. I didn't sense much maltiness or alcohol smell from this beer. Its hoppy, but not pungent/in your face. I would think someone who is not used to or someone who likes IPA smells may actually find this pleasant.

The taste was hoppy and citrusy and just bitter enough. Slightly sweet, smooth finish. Unlike some other reviewers, i dont find it dry at all. Nice tasting burps, if that makes sense.

Very good mouth feel. Smooth rolling carbonation, slight bitterness. All that i like in IPA's.

I find this very drinkable, and session-able. depending on cost i can see this becoming a contender with Racer 5 for this style of beer. I will definitely buy and drink this again and again. Good work NB.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Bottle sampled at the Old Chicago. I had asked my server, Chelsea, for my tab and while I was finishing up a game of trivia, she brought this bottle over to me. A free sampler from the local distributor.

From my notes:

It was a crystal clear medium gold colour with about an inch of foam. Typical of NB beers, there was some nice lacing.

The smell had a lot of floral hop spiciness with a touch of biscuit malt in the background. The hops did dominate in a big way.

The taste was spicy, hoppy, and some sweetness from biscuit malt. I don't know, for an IPA this diden't hit my palate very well. And talk about dry. Wow. Usually dryness is a nice thing to have in an IPA and causes me to want more but the one bottle was all I wanted.

Fairly light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability? Like I said, the one bottle was enough. This one isn't in my comfort range for the style at all and overall, not a very easy drinking beer.

Edit: April 27, 2010

I picked up a 22oz bottle to try this again and I'm glad I did. Nice hop flavours here with some grape fruitand pine and some nice grass. Malt is hiding in the background but does enough to make it noticed. Nice bitter and short aftertaste and makes this quite drinkable. I guess the last time I tried it my mood just wasn't right. Scores adjusted.

3.37/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at around cellar temp. Golden color with a tinge of orange, fluffy off-white head. Aroma is immediately Simcoe, but its character is well-balanced with the other hops here. Sometimes Simcoe-heavy beers are catty but not this one. Candied grapefruit and some skunky weed, resin. I like this aroma quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't really translate into the flavor. Pale malt shines through up front, which is always a bad sign. The hops dominate the aroma but fade to an afterthought in the taste. Still I get a little citrus and a faint but distinct melon note. Nice long bitterness but also some astringency. Not a sweet beer at all, which is a good foundation for my ideal IPA, but the hops just never show up. Another victim of the laughable "well-balanced IPA" paradigm I guess. Dry finish, but again, in an astringent way. Easy to drink but uninteresting.

4.07/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Decent amber color. A little bit of haze that is probably attributed to the dry hopping. Very little head poured out on this one but there is a small film on the top of it.

Smell: Hops up front. Very grassy and perhaps even floral smelling hops. Earthy as I'd expect to come out of New Belgium.

Taste: Much more of the floral from the hops hits you as you begin to sip this. The malt is absolutely evident in this one as well as there is a definite sweetness underneath. Perhaps it's just in my head, but many of the New Belgium beers have the same malt characteristics because this reminds me a bit of their 2 degrees below. The finish is bitter and spicy. It leaves a feeling that's I would describe as peppery. Not that it tastes like pepper but that's how I'm reminded.

Mouthfeel: I'm always looking for a good balance of bitter spicy feel and creaminess in my IPA's and this brew isn't too far off. I'd be interested in trying this on draft. Still, as far as IPA's go this one is about normal when it comes to this category.

Drinkability: The malt throws me off on this one as I'm not a fan but the blend of hops makes up for it. I could, and will, drink several of these. If you're a hop head you can count on this one to satisfy you. If you're just breaking into the hoppy beers this is still one you'd want to try.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Served on tap into a pint glass.

A - Clear, straw-gold color with a steady stream of bubbles. Finger-sized, bone-white head that disappears in a few minutes but resurrects quickly with a swirl of the glass. Leaves sticky lacing down the glass.

S - Strong smell of fresh floral, grassy and pine hops. The citrus hops emerge after a few minutes. The hops are very fresh and fragrant. I can smell them in my nose as I hold the beer in my mouth. There is a little toasted malt, but this is really about the hops.

T - Taste follows the smell and with a strong, fresh floral hops. The hops are strong but mellow, more floral and spicy than bitter. There is also that sweet, biscuit malt taste. They are well balanced. It tastes like Fat Tire malt combined with Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest and Wet Harvest hops (at least, how I remember those hops).

M - Medium bodied. Feels wet and not sticky. It is light for the style, but pleasant.

D - Very drinkable. Hop smell and taste is strong, and would satisfy hop heads, is also mellow/fresh and not overwhelming or bitter. I could drink several of these.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

bottle supplied to me as a sample-thank you.

bottle pours an attractive and incredibly clear golden beer, 1 solid finger of white head which produces some lacing. really stunning. this beer already supplants some of my so-so feelings towards new belgium-while i'm not a hater, they make well-crafted beers. they just seldom wow me. this beer has me at hello. aroma is less impressive, but well executed nonetheless. a blend of grassy and citrus hops kicks things off-mostly grapefruit, mild pine, and sweet green grass, followed by a gentle, sugary malt. nothing earth shattering, but quality and pleasing.

flavor is about as solid as the aroma. a clean and sweet new belgium malt, that is light, crackery and moderately sugary, follows a mix of grapefruit and pine flavored hops. incredibly gentle, unassuming, but hits all the IPA signatures. again, nothing to rave about, but well executed. body is on the the extreme light end of medium bodied. it could stand some oompf on this end-perhaps. part of the appeal is in how smooth, gentle, and unassuming this IPA is.

quite drinkable. i only have a 12oz. pour and yet i can easily see into the future. this could easily be a starter for the novice who wants a solid, well-crafted IPA, but may be frightened by a more assertive and bitter offering. this beer screams session if an IPA should truly be sessioned.

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

I picked this up at whole foods fresh off the truck.. Looking at the bottle there is a unfiltered cloudiness in the lower 1/3 of the bottle.. While pouring I noticed quite a strong floral hop aroma very impressed in this from NB.. The first taste was exceptional there was three levels of of flavor, from instant bite to a strong malt in the middle, then a bitter finish.. Overall very impressed in NB for this one they made it thier way with thier own malt and house yeast.. A

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured out of 12oz bottle. Live review for once!

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden straw color. Nice one and a half finger white head that dies down rather quickly. Skirted lacing as I drank away.

S- Nice citrusy hops in the front of this beer (pineapple upfront). Lighter sweet biscuty caramel malts in the backend of this.

T- First off let me say there is that New Belgium "malt" in there. I don't know how to describe it but I could pick this out of a blind test for being New Belgium because of that taste. Anyways, other than that nice big citrus hops in the front end of this. Bigger citrus flavors like pineapple and the like than what the aroma brings on. There is a light bitterness in the back end of this beer which I expected and balances it out for the most part. Light sugary taste as well from the citrus hops in the middle to tail end of this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Nice citrusy hops left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Light hop resin left on the teeth and tongue as well. Clean tasting throughout the entire beer. Nice mouthfeel.

D- This is a very drinkable IPA. To be honest I am quite shocked that it is from New Belgium. I can only hope this is a new trend with them. Good IPA for people who love Fat Tire and know nothing else of craft beer. This could be my go to IPA if the cash flow is low.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Carrie for the sample bottle!

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a thick white head that retains very well. Lacing is good, and after the head has settled, the beer leaves it's mark on the side of the glass.

S: Very West Coast-style aroma. Grapefruity, floral and piney. The biscuity malt note longer in the backround.

T: Much more mellow on the palate than in the nose. Some citrus, grass, and juniper notes, and honeyed malt in the back. The finish is very soft. Bitter, but very clean.

M: Medium bodied, crisp, and thirst quenching.

D: This is an impressive IPA. It's got the bitterness, citrus, and all that goes into beers of this style, yet it is mellow enough that it could easily be a session beer.

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Out of a 12 oz. pre-release bottle,

A: Pours goldenrod with a pillowy white head, some good lace.

S: Balanced mix of pine and citrus oil, picked up some Simcoe notes in there too.

T: Pine off the bat and mild bread malt, definitely a West Coast feel. Very prominent white grapefruit pith comes in, not my fave type of hop bitterness, but overall a good complexity with the hop character.

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation on the palate, finish on the thin side for me.

D: All in all, a solid effort. New Belgium always has well made products. This is by no means going to make me ditch the San Diego hop efforts, but should be an inexpensive IPA making it something I'd pick up now and again.

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

Very nice beer from our friends at new Belgium. 70 ibu's but you don't get that tipical hop hit that you would expect. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy this brew and the fact that new Belgium is doing something new is awsome. I think more and moe breweries need to start doing more hoppy, ipa high alcohol beers. Bang for your buck I say.

4.14/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. As it seems most people posting are liquor store employees. This muddy copper colored beer poured off with a fair amount of head that reduced down to rim of the glass lacing. The aroma that lofts from the beer is citrus and a clean hop smell. Really aromatic. The taste is that of a clean hopped beer both during the brewing cycle and a dry hop flavoring. The tones of grapefruit lead through toward the aftertaste of the brew. A slight amount of a watered down taste also peaks through. Overall a averaged IPA. It will be interesting to see if this takes off or if it actually just stays like the abby, blue paddle and mothership wit.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Retail sample, pre-release. The benefits of working at a liquor store...

Pours a murky golden amber--next to impossible to decant off the sediment at the bottom of the bottle--topped by a large and lasting rocky off-white head. Large sheets of lacing left behind. Beautiful.

Big and citrusy on the nose, light on the bitter grapefruit but big on juicy sweet orange. Not really any malt character to note, but with hops like these I can live with--and, indeed, expect--that. Fresh and clean and delicious.

Malt comes through in the palate, showing up as a lightly toasted grainy breadiness, but it's still quite subtle. Bitter hops quickly succeed the malt, and themselves are quickly succeeded by fresh hop flavor, showing bright orange, fresh leaves, and a touch of earthiness. Finishes mild with just the slightest lingering hop bitterness.

Light to medium bodied and somewhat thin, not surprising given the overall lack of malt character. Moderately firm and drying. Thinness of body is verging on watery, but manages to stop just short. Quite drinkable.

A well-made IPA, quite sessionable, and what I'd expect from New Belgium. Why they didn't do this earlier I don't know, but at least this presumably long awaited beer lives up to what it should be.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Received this today at an awesome local beer store as a throw in. Thanks John!

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with nice and fluffy white two finger head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell is dominated by grassy hops. The most fresh grass (lawn kind) smell I've experienced in a beer. Citrus is present as well. Really fresh and crisp smelling.

The hops are more subtle than the nose suggested. Still nice grassy and citric hop presence. Some buttery taste backs it up. Really clean and refreshing taste.

The feel is kind of buttery as well. It's about medium bodied, but feels kind of buttery, greasy slick. A little flat feeling. Hard to explain. Finishes really clean.

Drinkability is awesome. This one sampling won't last more than a few minutes. Really well crafted IPA. I would have to say this is the best beer I've had from NB thus far. Looking forward to this one being available soon.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Pre-release sample courtesy of my favorite pub. Pours a golden color with a thick white head. Huge cascade/grapefruit aroma. Very surprising for NB to use so many hops. Very well balanced with a fair amount of bitterness. Only thing that was really disapointing was the body which was on the lighter side. Still a very drinkable session IPA.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours pale golden with a pillowy white head.

Nice aroma, integating pine and citrus very well. Like a slightly amped up Mighty Arrow.

Similar palate with a wave of grapefruity and piney hops and a bit of raw grain that could probably be smoothed out to improve it.

The carbonation is a little on the rough side but not so much that it's a turn off.

Overall, a solid offering from a brewery that should have had a hoppy beer a long time ago.

firstprev| 5901-5925 | 5926-5950 | 5951-5975  | next → last