Ranger | New Belgium Brewing

Added by brownbeer on 12-30-2009

13%

Ratings: 5,962 |  Reviews: 1,315
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Re-reviewing this one after many months since the first couple of them I had. Best-by date on this first bottle from the variety pack is November 29th, 2015. Old scores for reference: Look 4.5, Smell 4.25, Taste 3.5, Feel 4.0, Overall 4.0

Pours light golden, with it taking on a nice shiny darker golden-bordering-on-orangeish color once in the glass. Pretty clear, with a nice bunch of bubbles constantly rising up from the bottom of the glass. My pour generated a pretty good-sized head of foam, not quite reaching the rim of the glass but not far off either. Said foam is very nice-looking, too -- white and fluffy and thick, and it takes a bit for it to even start shrinking and seems to hold up really well, leaving trails along the sides as it goes, and even bigger trails once I start drinking more and more. Even near the end of the glass, the majority of the foam (in the form of a thin layer on top with a slightly thicker ring around the edges) is still intact.

Smell is nice too. You can smell the hops even from a few inches away. However, it doesn't seem to stand out quite as much as it did when I first had it -- I guess this being my first ever IPA, the "blast of hop smell upon opening the bottle" effect was a bit more of a surprise then than it is now. Taking a closer sniff, there's a piney sort of smell right off but it blends into a fruitier smell partway through; sort of shifts from mostly pine at first to "grocery store fruit aisle" or something along those lines. I don't remember picking up this fruitiness the last time I had one of these, so it seems either this is a fresher bottle than what I had that time or my senses have gotten a bit better at picking out different smells in beer (or both.) Can't really detect much in the way of malty smells, maybe the faintest hint of a breadiness hiding somewhere behind all the hops? Yeah, I think there is just a bit of a sort of dusty bread kind of thing right there on the end. The hops are definitely the most prominent thing here, though.

Taste... why the heck did I only give this a 3.5 in this category the first time I had it!? Okay, yeah, I'm thinking I definitely just hadn't developed a taste for super hoppy beers yet at the time. Like the smell, it's primarily piney to start out with. There's a bit of a fruitiness in the flavor too, but not as much as the smell. After the initial pine/slight fruit blast, things shift to become a little more earthy, reminding me somewhat of "forest smells" -- like when you're walking around and stepping through really rich soil and dead leaves and such and you get the slightest bit of a damp, leafy kind of smell as your movement jostles things around a bit on the forest floor. I remember being reminded of walking in a pine forest when I drank this one before, and that description definitely still applies. Detectable bitterness is actually near zero to my current taste buds, which is really surprising considering that when I had this one before it was almost too bitter for me to handle -- I mean, it's definitely a bitter beer rather than a sweet one, no doubt about that, and I am noticing the bitterness more as I get further and further down the glass (those first few sips were "all hop flavor, very little bitterness" but it's shifting as I drink more)... but my tongue isn't being overwhelmed by pure bitterness this time like it was the first time. There's just a bit of a stronger leafy bitter flavor showing up right at the end, almost leaning into a slight spiciness after a while, as I get down to around the 1/3 mark of the glass. I'm noticing that this almost spicy kind of thing begins to show up in the smell right around the end of the glass, too. Aftertaste is almost none at first, slowly building up to a leafy bitter later on and then a slight breadiness similar to what's faintly detectable in the smell once that fades. Burps are fruitier, reminding me of the fruity aspect in the smell.

Mouthfeel is just as nice as I remember it being -- "fizzy, but it works" still applies. There's a lot of bubbles, but they come across as soft and add to the feel of the beer, rather than coming across as prickly and not so pleasant. Just feels really nice going down, especially on the first few sips when the foam on top is thicker. Only the slightest "bite" from the hop bitterness on the end, too, just enough to let you know it's definitely there.

Overall, I'm glad I ended up having a chance to revisit this one thanks to the fall Folly pack -- it's a pretty tasty beer (more so than I remembered it being the first time; as I've said multiple times in this review, I guess I just hadn't quite developed a taste for IPAs yet at the time), and it's both widely available and pretty affordable in most stores that stock it. The mouthfeel is also really nice, actually even better than some of the IPAs that I'd rate higher than this one in the flavor department.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

4.26/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I take Sam Adams Rebel over this one. It's a good option but not too impressed. So many great IPAs out there that this isn't on my wants list

3.64/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +26%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

Like drinking an evergreen forest.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%