Lips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style WeisseLips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse
3.46/5

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 97
Reviews by Georgiabeer:
3.97/5  rDev +14.7%

Interesting beer. At 7% abv, it is certainly "Imperial" for Berliner Weisse, one of the lowest abv styles, but not all that much stronger than a solid single IPA. I'm not a big fan of doubling everything, no matter the style, but although this is is not a traditional Berliner, it is pretty tasty. I like the Berliner Weisse style quite a bit, but I've found many of them not nearly lactic enough. Berliner Kindl Weisse is more my style, with a very sharp lactic attack that can be softened (or not) by adding flavored Woodruff or Raspberry syrup. I think the "softening" of the style, like that of the recent Bell's version that actually boasted that it was soft enough that it didn't need the "additives" is a major step in the wrong direction. I enjoy the style super sharp without the additions, and I think others could acquire a taste if given a chance. Instead we get beers like 1809, which while highly rated is far, far too soft.

So where does this one fall in the spectrum. Well, to be fair, it is much sharper with lactic notes than something like 1809, but on the other hand, it has far more malt and a bit of sweet tang going on as well- let's call it sweet-and-sour Berliner Weisse. I like the fairly strong lactic presence, but surprisingly, I like that touch of sweetness as well. I guess, in essence, you are getting a touch of the sweetness that accompanies the syrup additions, along with the sharp lactic notes of a true Berliner Weisse. I think this approach works better than the dumbing down of the style seen so frequently. At least the play of the lactic versus the sugars is preserved, and there are some nice lemon notes to cu the sweetness and heavier citrus flavors as well. It has the appropriate effervescence, but is a bit darker than a standard Berliner, and the head is a good deal too faint. There is also a bit of graininess in the smell and flavor, but its a wheaten sort of graininess and doesn't really bother me. I enjoyed this, but I still prefer my Berliner Weisse straight-up rather than pre-sweetened. Call this one the Champagne Sec of the North.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Not too familiar with this style but gonna do my best to review it.

Poured gently to avoid much of the bottle conditioned suspension form a 650mL bomber. Color is clear and pale, straw coloration like lemon and honey, second pour is slightly hazy. Tiny fizzy head killed by the wheat and alcohol in a matter of seconds. Small amount of yeast floats in suspension. Looks more like lemon and honey tea than beer.

Smell is rather like juice, grains, apple, lemon rind and predominant white grapes on the nose follows by a slight tartness and noticable alcohol.

Tastes much like the nose, almost like white wine, very sweet. The alcohol is actually well hidden. Wheat followed by muscat juice, lemon tartness with vinegar. Drying finish with wheat, more lemon and subtle maltiness to balance it out. Quite refreshing.

Fizzy slightly biting carbonation that works for this beer as well as a slightly heavy body for weisse beer.

Not sure what all the disappointment is about this beer, not exactly a great looker but it has a balanced tartness as well as a refreshing flavor. Rather sweet but lacks a syrupy mouthfeel and not at all cloying. Good if not great venture into something different.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

From tasting notes. L: Hazy straw color with a quickly dissipating thin white head. S: Citrusy aromas. T: Rich tartness and lemonsy sourness is tempered by above average malt. F: Light, tart with above average carbonation. O: Big, refreshing and tart.

3.77/5  rDev +9%

Bomber with 6/16/2010 date stamp. I do not know if this is a best by or bottling date. I wish I did know, however. So let us now begin another adventure from the clearance cooler at the local liquor store! Yeah. I tend to find equal parts hidden gems and horrible experiences in the clearance cooler, and I cannot deny the random "take your chances" approach thrills me. But enough about me. This is about the BEER.

A. Pale yellow straw grass color, rather translucent with only the tiniest tinge of haze to it. I find myself wondering if the clarity is normal for the style, given that there is supposed to be lactobacillus fermentation going on here. Nearly no head at all. The carbonation even doesn't last very long. After 15 minutes of sipping, smelling, and observation it has become absolutely dead flat.
S. Now we're talkin'. Lemon yogurt smell all the way to the bank. I don't, however, smell the floral tones at all which the brewery claims this brew to have :( Just yogurt. I can, however, smell the pale wheat malt ever so faintly hiding behind the tartness.
T. Mmmmm. Its tastes like baby's first Flemish. A Flemish for beginners, if you will. Very light sourness, very light malt, mostly lemon and wheat with a yogurt backburner. I'd rate it higher but I have a personal preference for the more heavy-duty sours. So this seems sort of Mickey Mouse to me. However, I have no idea if this lightness of sourness is normal for the berliner weissbier style. For all I know, it just might be.
M. No complaints here.

Overall, this adventure in the land of clearance has gotten me intrigued enough to purposefully keep an eye out for further examples of this style to try. I want to try them and then think about this one with a new perspective, perhaps.

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Hazy sunny yellow with a fizzy white cap that quickly sizzles itself away. It does leave decent lacing, however.
The nose brings tart lemon wheat nose, along with a slap of olive brine salty funk. It's more than a bit weird, but I'll give it a general pass here.
It begins through the mouth with a sweet-tart, lemon bar doughy fruitiness, topped with powdered sugar, which grows increasingly towards corn syrup as it progresses. The briny olive/pickle note returns, bringing a discordant saltiness. Toasted wheat cereal notes pick up as the funky saltiness fades, with a couple late shrieks from lemon juice and vinegar, and a fuller white grape juice sweetness.
Semi-brisk, rampant upfront carbonation peters out over time, leaving a too-fat half-glass of lemonade, wheat flakes, kero syrup, olive brine, pickles, vinegar, and cheap, flat champagne.
This had some promise early on, the lacto-funkiness was a bit weirdly expressed and overly salty/briny. But it was the lingering heavy syrup/grapejuice sweetness that killed it.
A bomber is way too much, because it's flaws become far more pronounced as it warms. Ultimately, it betrays its base style. It's neither brisk nor refreshing, and over time, this becomes a chore.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

22oz Screen printed bottle
Bright, clear gold, with a fugitive misting of white head.
Smells immediately fruity and sour. Sour white grapes, green apple and maybe a bit of cherry? Ever so slightly funky, just a bit of farminess and swiss cheese sharpness. The malt comes off like Kix cereal, mixed with Sour Patch Kids.
The flavor opens with a good bit of sweetness, which manages to remain a bit cloying throughout. Wheaty sour in a sugary, kid's cereal manner, moving quickly into sour fruit of all sorts. Sour, Welch's white grape juice mostly, with green apple and lemon in a syrupy, candy-like form. Strange. The body is fuller than I expected, the finish not particularly dry because of it, with an effervescent carbonation. The malt flavor comes through like Kix cereal, as I'd gathered from the aroma. The overall impression is one of processed, artificially sweetened flavors, even though I know it's not. If I could sum this up in a sentence, it would be Berlinerweisse meets American Malt Liquor.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a thin layer of off-white head over a slightly cloudy light-straw colored liquid. Smells lemony, acetic, fennel seed, salty, light cherry sour. Brisk, almost margarita-like.

Tastes malty sweet with lactic and acetic sour players. Not the crisp weisse I was expecting, as the sweet is predominant. Lemon, crisp watermelon rind, and mild acetic. Wheat and pils malt. Md-light body and medium carbonation. Could use a bit more CO2. Dry finish with minerally and wheat aftertaste. Has a fine carb sting on the tongue on the swallow to help beat off the malt, but still could use more.

Well, how to rate this one. There is currently no imperial weisse style, so do I judge to weisse or double weisse? I guess it's not fair to judge to weisse, which should be dry and puckering. 2x weisse should have some malt sweet to it, as this beer does. I just wish it had a bit more complexity.

3.82/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear light yellow with a smallish white head that quickly goes to a thin collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - tart sour fruits and some floral spices.

The flavor is sweet and tart and sour citrus fruits and wheaty malts and some brett. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, not very complex but I liked it. It's very refreshing and I like the sour fruits and brett. I think it was a bit better on tap from what I recall.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

A clear gold colored beer with only slight head formation. Much darker than most.

Smell is lightly sour with peach and apple scent. I detect a little sour grape and no hops.

Starts out sweet and sour with no strong flavor. Not really sour just tart. Not strongly flavored, at best it tastes like a really light pear cider. Could be more complex but it isn't bad.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is OK. This needs something more to be more interesting.

2.33/5  rDev -32.7%

First thing is first, this is one of my new favorite styles of beer and I like it because 1. Its light in body 2. It has a moderate tartness and 3. Its low in alcohol. Those three things I love about this style are all SHIT ON BY THIS BEER. An "Imperial Berliner Style Weisse" is an oxymoron like Renaissance man or Criminal justice....saying those words in proximity just doesn't make any sense...I have to eventually write a serious review otherwise my review of this gross, grainy, flat, mess of a beer will be deleted by moderators, so here I go.

Beer served on draft. Beer is yellow and hazy with a thin white head of wispy little bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation appears low. Looks OK.

Aroma is grainy and wet, not a lot of lactic in there but I guess I can find it.

Should I be able to taste alcohol in any kind of weiss beer? Maybe a wheatwine or something like that but this si just fucking gross. Its hot and sweet at leadoff, minimal sourness on the midpalate and a finish that is like grain husks. Sour mash eh? I hate it.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a nice pale straw color almost a mild lemon yellow. There is a thin 0.5 inch head that recedes fairly quickly and leaves a slight soapy ring around the glass.

S - Slight tart yogurt notes. Some nice lemon zest and slight bready malty sweetness. Lemon meringue also comes to mind. Slight sweet wheat notes as well. Pretty straight forward aroma.

T & M - Taste starts off with some mild sweetness that then has some delicious yogurt tartness. There are some nice slight lemon notes that are mild and deliciously mixed in with some malty and wheat sweetness. Bread notes intermingle and play very well with the slight tartness. Nice light buddy with some mild carbonation that actually makes the beer more appealing.

O - Pretty good and mild intro to the style. Not bad at all. Good wheaty flavor balanced with the tartness.

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

22 picked up at the COOP today by the wife... Thanks Babe.

I am not very familiar with Berliner Weissbiers, so I am just gonna do my best.

Short lasting 1/2" stark white head looks pretty wimpy... the brew is a crystal clear glowing straw golden.

Nose is light lemon grass with a hint of something floral.... more pale maltiness than I was expecting.

Flavor is a tad on the mild side... again what I would consider too much malt for the style.. but it is "imperial" ... lemon is soft... some other sort of fruitiness is in there that I'm having a hard time identifying... pale malts are more of a crackery element... honestly, I was hoping for more of a lactic punch..

Body is obviously on the heavy side for the style, but still retains about a medium .... I also think it could use more carbonation.

Pretty drinkable even given the bigger ABV... I will certainly buy it again, but nobody should think this is any where close to a proper Berliner.

Are we really at a point where everything must be made bigger and badder?

4/3.5/3.5/3/4

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

A hard pour produces a 2cm off-white head that quickly fades into the beer. Tiny amounts of lacing remain on the sides of the glass, practically nothing. The beer itself is a dark golden-orange in color, transparent, and with moderately active/visible carbonation.

The esters coming from this are so intense that it's a huge, virtually inseparable mash of old apple cider vinegar, souring/infected/rotting apples, pears, candy sugar, some indistinct solvent.

This is an undeniably sweet take on the style, but there's no denying the sourness and tartness present as well. What first hits me is some sweetness, which is quickly submersed by the sourness and tartness, which while not overwhelming, is very much present. This fades, over the course of about thirty seconds, to some malt flavors, and then the tasting is over. Aftertaste is very enjoyable for me, something like ghostly, but well-soured, apple cider.

Mouthfeel is comfortable, a medium amount of carbonation for a moderately heavy (as in middle of the road) heaviness. Finish is dry, as expected, from the sour bacteria. Clean mouthfeel, though, no noticeable grit on the palate.

I'm not hugely enjoying the scent of this beer, but I truly find myself enjoying the aftertaste, and I find the taste good as well. At first, I was thinking this would be a miss on my first smells and sips, but over the course of the bottle, find myself generally enjoying it. The beer has its peaks and troughs, but generally comes out on top.

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse from New Belgium Brewing