Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration) | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration)
3.7/5
Good

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Wild beer with brettanomyces.

Added by mcallister on 08-02-2010

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a bottle to try.. in the mood for some sour.. read it isn't so sour...

- Clear bubbly rich copper.. quick fizzing couple fingers of head down to a nice large spot in the center, and a rather nice little ring of lace...

- Some nice tart and herbal characteristics.. fresh, zingy, zesty lemon and grassy hop.. light grain and bready biscuity malt present.

- Subtle sour funk notes, light caramel, bready grain.. zesty herbal qualities.. esters... overall not too bad.. might turn out much more funky and sour over time in the bottle.. maybe 6 months to a year.

- Light bodied.. slightly syrupy.. drying..

- Overall quite drinkable fresh.. and guessing it would be even better in time. Certainly decent though now.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is grain, grass and hibiscus flowers. The flowers are the dominant aroma. There is very little tartness or sourness in the aroma which is disappointing. The flavor is also disappointing. I get a lot of wheat and toffee malt, as well as quite a bit of hibiscus and other floral notes. There is a grain component to the flavor as well as some very light tartness. I don't get any of the lacto sourness that I was expecting, especially since the label specifically mentions lactobacillus. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a bad beer by any means, but I was expecting a sour beer and that is not really what this is. This beer tastes about like a flowery version of the Imperial Berliner Weiss that New Belgium released earlier this year. I think New Belgium and Allagash could do better than this.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

On tap at The Dray.
A - bright Amber
S - definitely some floral notes there with a hint of apricot, and maybe a bit of Brett.
T - hibiscus and a slight tangy apricot flavor. Was hoping for a bit more sourness like the other beers in this series , but only has very mellow tartness.
M - good carbonation with a strange aftertaste I can't quite put my finger on.
D - for this much alcohol content it is more drinkable than you would expect but I am not going to order another glass.
Overall a bit of a disappointment, bur worthy of a try.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a fluted goblet. Poured a clean, clear medium amber color with1/2 inch of white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma had a bit of fruitiness (peach? apricot?), a bit of spiciness and some nicely grainy malt. The flavor didn't have near as much fruit as the aroma had led me to expect. There was a bit of a sour tang, a touch of sweetness and just a hint of grain.

The body was a bit thin, but still decent. Drinkability was OK, perhaps a bit easier to drink than most sours/wilds. Overall, not a bad beer, not a great one. Give it a shot if you see it.

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

On-tap at Beachwood

A: The pour is a clear amber color with a thin off-white head.

S: The nose is really cidery. Lots of apples, some white grapes, flowers, and some metal. There are perhaps some sour cherry notes as the beer warms up.

T: Gah, intensely metallic with apples, light cherries, and some definite cough syrup (which becomes more pronounced as the beer warms up). Maybe some banana flavors in there too, and a mild malty sweetness.

M: The body is light to medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: What a let down. I've enjoyed most of the New Belgium beers I've had, but this was not something I cared for at all. I'm glad I just got a small pour rather than splurging on a bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a deep amber with two fingers of white head, solid thick lace.

S: Strong malty nose mixed with the hibiscus makes it very flowery. Pungent, interesting smell.

T: Hibiscus is heavy giving and herbal flowery tea like undercurrent to the beer. Fairly sweet malt, red apples, with notes of leather (Brett?) and lactic acidity. Unique flavour, though I don't taste the endive.

M: Full-bodied, a very firm and brilliantly sructured beer. Soft carbonation overall, with the mild acidity mentioned.

D: Unique is a very good description, I have never had anything quite like it. Also compared to the other Lips of Faith beers in the series it is on the inexpensive side which I was happy to see. Well worth a pickup.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

22 picked up at the COOP over the holiday weekend.. Poured into my Delirium goblet while listening to some tunes and putting a trade box together.

Off white 1/2" head has nice lacing, but somehow nearly no retention.. the brew is a very nice orange copper.

Nose shows lite acetic apple cider and some background cherry.. minor funk with something that I can only describe as tea leaves.

Red apple skin with some astringency.. earthy mid palate and bits of leftover toasty elements... not really "sour", just a bit off. The wild notes are there, and show with warmth.. nice musty funk as the temperature rises... dank hay and dry basement.. still it seems the lite maltiness and sorta juicy fruits come back on the finish....

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one.. Shared one with Sammy... another with the brother... this one is not leading me any better...

Nothing is really wrong with the end product, but it is still a big mash-up from front to back and never gels..

4/3.5/3.5/4/3.5

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Rose amber color and very bright. Bone white head with large bubble structure and somewhat poor retention.

S: Spicy and herbal with a little bit of fruit (strawberry?).

T: Interesting beer... better than the smell and lack of protein might lead on. Herbal bitterness meets and mildly tart meyer lemon. Sweet fruit in the finish along with some spicy notes. This is sort of maybe one of those unfocused beers where too much is happening at once, however I will say I don't think that any of the flavors really work against one another. While it complicates itself its rather good. Like journalist writing a good piece which is just too long to fit into the space given.

M: hits the back of your throat.

D: medium plus

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: This beer pours a clear copper color with pinkish hues throughout. A little under 2 fingers of head forms, and the retention is pretty good. Lacing ends up being fine and fairly abundant.

Smell: Biscuity malts up front with tart green apples, lemon zest, slight cherry notes. Also, some slightly funky notes and grassy, barnyard scents. Nothing really takes control in this beer. There are quite a few different scents, but nothing makes it stand out.

Taste: Green apples, cherry and some lemon zest start off. Following is a very slight amount of barnyard funk and sourness at the finish. It's not a bad taste, but I feel about the same way about the taste as I did the smell.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Between light and medium bodied with quite a lot of carbonation. It feels pretty decent on the palate. I find this beer pretty drinkable, it's not too heavy with some nice flavors involved. Overall, nothing that gets me too excited.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance:

Tonight I deiced to break out one of my coolest but impractical glasses that I have in the cabinet, my Kwak Belgian bubbled flute in a wooden holster. I happen to come across this glass when I was buying a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin and it was sitting on the shelf for a measly $2.00, so I couldn't resist the temptation for such a unique glass. I proceeded to pull the cap off this very decorative bottle and was greeted with a loud hissing swoosh sound. On the pour I decided to tilt the glass very hard because the slender neck of this tends to really amp up the head and foam. As I finished up I was left with a one finger thick tan head and the color appears to be a copper amber tone almost like a Duracell battery. As I hold the glass up to the light there is absolutely no haze and this is pristine clear and I can see right through the other side. On the swirl there is not much viscosity going on here, seems pretty thin.

Smell:

Right of the start, I am reminded of very floral Marzen lager with some biscuit notes. Green apples, pear and spice seem to be the dominant aromas here maybe followed by a little pepper. As my glass warms up a bit the lacto and brett funk starts to shine through more, almost like acidic grapefruits and a little funk like a musty basement. In the finish I am finding something strange that reminds me of fluff marshmallow.

Taste:

Hmm..a sharp citrus note starts this complex ale off. This reminds me of Russian River Redemption that I had last week with just a touch more caramel and toffee notes. Very floral spices that I can't put my finger on but they seem to work very well here. Wet earthy undertones, followed by barnyard hay and alfalfa then once that glides over your tongue a nice quick burst of sourness puckers my mouth. In the finish I can taste some wood from the barrel and cranberries that really make everything come together very well.

Drinkability:

Overall, this was a great beer to end my holiday with because it wasn't to heavy nor to light and it really was perfect for after dinner. I was super excited to receive this beer as a extra so another big thanks to Amanda for hooking me up with this. I would definitely say that this could be a nice easy sour for beginners because its not eye watering like some of them out there. I really wish we had the opportunity to buy New Belgium beers here in Pennsylvania because the Lips of Faith series would always be in my fridge. If you get the opportunity to give this beer a shot got for it because I think it fly's under the radar and is very enjoyable.

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%

A: light copper in color with great clarity. Head is minimal, as well as lacing.

S: granny smith apples and bing cherries create a tangy sweet bouquet.

T: semi sweet, semi sour, 100% delicious. Cherries take over, and join with vanilla and orange zest.

M: semi-full body, with a slight creaminess.

D: I feel that this is closely related to a flanders red ale. I would prefer this over duchess any day!

3.17/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from bottle into stemmed Tulip glass

A - Strong amber/red color to the body of this beer; half finger beige foam formed during pour; not much lacing that didn't stick to the sides of the glass for very long; less than average amount of carbonation

S - Deep grassy smells; spices do come up like coriander and lemon; malty; complex blend of ingredients, with the hibiscus and endive to make a flowery scent of a quality beer

T - Hibiscus and endive come up at the front and follow all the way through to the end; still feels a bit messy with too much complexity of ingredients; lemon zest; aftertaste is a bit much of hibiscus and endive; dry and very sour

M - creamy feel; bubbly and effervescent on tongue; flavors really don't pick up until the back of the month and disappear very quickly; aftertaste is strong, probably from the sour-tart feel

T - The beer has a very funky taste to it; I expected it to be a bit better, not much bite and kind of a mess; this beer might be from a bad batch or could be skunked; I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't have another one

4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured In: Wine Glass
Purchased at Barriques

Appearance: The pour is an amber color with a finger of head that dissipates quickly. I wasn't expecting a long lasting head given the presence of lactobactillus and the higher ABV. The lace on the side of the glass is practically non-existent. The beer looks slightly effervescent.

Smell: The nose has a nice floral aroma with some pepper and apple mixed in as well. The brettanomyces is definitely present, and it's playing really nicely with the lactobactillus. There's a nice acidic edge in the nose mixed in with a bit of barnyard funk.

Taste: The palate starts out with some bitter pale malt that quickly goes away. The brettanomyces and lactobactillus really do this beer wonders. It doesn't have a very strong brett flavor, nor is it extremely acidic, but the acidity is cutting out nearly any sweetness that would sit in this beer, which not being a fan of sweets I applaud. There's some apple and cherry flavor that comes through, both being tart. The brettanomyces gives the beer a nice funky edge, though it's very faint.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied. Carbonation was perfect right upon opening the bottle.

Drinkability: I shared this bottle with some family members, but I could definitely go through this bottle myself. The combination of flavors and the carbonation level is perfect. This was an excellent beer.

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into an etched New Belgium tulip glass from a 22 ounce bottle.

A: Deep amber, almost crimson hue with a creamy off-white head that retains very nicely. Lacing is sticky, and coats the inside of the glass.

S: The aroma is definitely funky, with some citrus, wood, and extremely floral notes, along with just a hint of a grassy character.

T: Very unique flavor. Malt provides a backbone with some caramel and biscuit, but it's overpowered by some barnyard funk, citrus, apples, and some floral, grassy notes. Tart, but not so much that it leaves the mouth in pain like some wild ales.

Notes: This is a medium bodied brew of the wild style, and by wild, I mean it. The endive brings out extra grassy, vegetal flavor, and the hibiscus definitely provides a floral element to the beer that even certain hops couldn't express. Very tasty, and easy to drink. Could be my favorite of the LOF series so far.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed this in a large wine glass. A wonderful pillowy white head 3 fingers high formed and stayed on the scene for a while. Eventually settled to a thin ring of foam in the glass. Sticky spider web lacing is all over the inside of the glass as you enjoy.
A slight haze in the straight amber beer.

Wow, this is a barnyard smelling beer. Earthy, funky with a lot of wood notes. Green apple and very perfume like which I assume is the hibiscus.

Pretty interesting beer. Certainly a lot going on. Very dry and crisp with green apple and pear flavors. Lots of funk in the flavor as well. Not as tart or acidic as many wild ales. Definitely more subdued in this category, but the funk seems to step forward. Very earthy. A bit like dirt. The wood is very pronounced as well.

Dry, dry.. crisp.

Interesting... Not classic, but interesting.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Clear, coppery pour with a fine, offiwhite head. Bubbly. Decent lacing.

S: Funky, fruity, brett, yeast. Not as much funk as I'd have thought.

T: Juicy Fruit gum, slight brett bitterness, as little sweet, p[erhaps from the lactobacillus, vinous, nicely bitter finish balances against the sweetness well.

M: Nice carbonation, dry finish.

D: Nicely done, though not as over-the-top as I was hoping.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

An amazing, refreshing, interesting sour. Golden and spritzy in appearance. Smells funky, tart, appley, lemony, woodsy (cedar). Taste is lightly tart, lemony, like a sauvignon blanc perhaps. Drinkable as all get out. Delicious. I must get more! Also a great starter sour/wild for those who are new (as I am). It was a hit with a tasting group of 8 people. Everyone liked it.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

Body is a pretty blonde color with some amber highlights and a fairly lively carbonation. Sweet malt and sour yeast provide an interesting interplay on the nose, with good notes of tropical fruit in the background. Palate is also a sweet-and-sour dichotomy of sweet pale malt, candi sugar, and tropical fruit balanced by the sourness of the brett and endive. A distinct vegetal note (from the endive, I guess) adds some depth and is interesting, but not too distracting. Finish is a nice sour fruit flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

22oz bomber into a tulip glass pours an almost crisp dark orange with a thin diminishing khaki head. Aroma is a decent blend of sweet fruits and Belgian spice. The taste is a nice amount of tart fruits with a nice amount of spice alongside, interesting balance. The beer is medium bodied with a nice subtle dryness. This is a very interesting beer, one I certainly could see myself having again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Poured into a New Belgium tulip glass a clear rosy red hued brownish color with a white head. The aroma instantly reminds me of a Belgium white beer (although I know it is not) with hints of some sour tpe fruit flavors. Hmm the taste is kind of interesing, starts off with a subtle tartness and then transitions to a more soft fruit and floral type taste, fruit flavors remind me of apple, pear, and cherry. Ends rather dryly. For 8.5% the alcohol is not very apparent. Not overally funky or tart but easy drinking and decently tasty. Nothing too extreme though. Some lace.

4.09/5  rDev +10.5%

A= The pour is a nice deep amber color that verges onto brown toward the center of the glass and has a nice bubbley white head rise out of it before falling to a ring around the glass.

S= Great smell. Sort of a clean sour note to it if that makes any sense. It has a funky earth tone to it taht I'm attributing to the Hibiscus and Endive. Really plesent smelling without being outragously sour smelling. There's actually a lot of complexity in this guy. With a swirl a little alcohol aroma comes out more and is intertwinded with the fruity earthy sour notes so make it a little more harsh.

T= The taste is interesting. Not nearly as sour as it could be. A very light sour actually with a strong earthy vegetable sort of flavor to it. There is a good amount of funk to it as well. A little woodiness comes through and the sour notes sort of stick to the roof of your mouth for some reason if that makes sense. Very interesting.

M= Dirty and raw feeling. I love it. Sort of a rough finish that lasts in your mouth.

D= Pretty good. This is a decent brew. I wish it would have soured just a little more. On the sour scale I would call this a soft sour and my preference is more of the mid ground. Worth checking out however.

New Belgium Vrienden:

-Poured a golden amber color with a finger width of head, whick quickly dissapated. Quite clear with just a touch of haze in the glass. The bottom of the bottle was quite clean (more on that later). Overall in appearance it was quite nice.

-Smell: Smell was somewhat sweet with a bit of the brett/lacto on the edge, a little funky and a little acidity on the nose to start. As it warms the nose loses some of its sweetness and the funky notes come out a little bit further.

-Taste: Light and crisp on the tongue with a reserved sour bite halfway through the sip. Quite a bit of residual sweeteness at cool temperatures converting to just a bit of alcohol heat as it warms. My thoughts, after the first sip, were: "where are the herbs?" I could note some subtle hints, and really that's the way it should be in most cases, but with there being large labeling of the special ingredients (and for an American audience) I would have expected them to be a bit more present. The base beer feels like a strong golden style, which was quite well executed. The brett and lacto have definately had their go at the beer, but could really go longer to build up some further flavor and carbonation. The mouthfeel was solid, with no dropoff in flavors or watery feel.

-Summary: If I had to pidgeonhole this one, it would be 'beginners sour'. It is quite strong at 9% and certainly includes a great deal of interesting elements that almost *over* blend to form a unified flavor. The result is something which is very enjoyable, but is overbuilt from the description on the bottle. I congratulate New Belgium on crafting a well balanced flavor...but this is not only a sour, it is a collaboration with Allagash -- and that changes some expectations. I do not much feel that the Allagash style is represented in the presence of the New Belgium hands. Part of this, I think, is that these were not aged for terribly long and I do not believe were bottle conditioned. Both of these would have seriously helped out the flavor. I noted above that the beer was very clear all the way to the bottom. In a sour I want that last bit to be murky and mean....it means that the bugs have had time to do their part in the flavor, if it is pretty and clear then I worry that I am still drinking it too young. I would be very interested in letting this one age for a time and see how it develops.

I certainly didn't expect an Oude Brune, Flanders, or Lambic from this one. I expected more of an Eric's Ale + Allagash big flavors with a good deal of herbs and reserved sour. It missed this mark a bit. HOWEVER! I still liked this one a lot; as a starter sour it hits the mark and I would certainly buy more just to see how it ages and as a pre-cursor to further sours over the course of a session night.

-Pairing: Given the reserved sour but high alcohol %, food pairing can get interesting. Cutting the acid with a fat would be a good idea, as well would be pairing it with a more distinctly flavored meat. Ripened cheeses, lamb (no mint..), venison. On the other hand, stay away from starches and this one, I believe that they would cover the flavor and act against one another to the detriment of both. Given the opportunity, I would enjoy this one with a Nicoise salad.

B+

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a ruby brown color with half a finger of white head. Nice bright looking beer.

Smell is sweet malt with a hint of lacto sour and brett funk just slightly coming through. sweet slight caramel malt is prominent.

taste is carmalized mid roast malt, hint of sugary sweetness. very moderate sour note that comes through, and just a hint of barnyard funk from the brett. overall a bit sugary sweet overwhelming the interesting lacto and brett flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate to high carbonation with substantial mouthfeel. Well crafted here.

Good flavors in this beer but a bit to much sweetness up front makes me only want one of these. Would love to see if this beer developed into an amazing beer with some age on it for the bugs to do some more work.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

Picked this up on a whim recently. It is pretty cool to see allagash anything in MN.

A. A very clean looking beer. Such a light amber color that it appears watery. I know the style can result in many different hues, but this seems very light.

S. Herbal, slightly musty. Maybe a hint of tartness. I don't really know what an endive is, but the overall aroma is very nice.

T&M. Funk and tartness match the aroma - present but not strong at all. More complementary. It is too bad, because there isn't too much to complement. Malt aspect is that of a standard Belgian pale, with a strong herbal/floral characteristic. I am wishing for more funk and a drier finish.

D. This is a good beer, but not a great one. One thing that can be said is that the alcohol is very well hidden. Again, I wish it was a bit more than subtlety funky though. I think it is pasturized, so age probably wouldn't help. Maybe I am wrong?

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

Found this puppy just sitting at my local while I was looking to buy my case of this years Boulevard BBQ. I was pretty stoked to find it. I love Allagash beers and I think that some of New Belgium's Sours are the best available. 2 of my favorite beers of 2010 have been Allagash Odyssey and Eric's Ale. Both breweries do some fantastic beers and I was stoked to hear that they were going to do a collaboration brew and it was going to be available with limited distribution.

Poured a 22oz bomber into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a old copper with a 3 finger head that leaves very evenly distributed lacing down the sides of the glass. It always throws me off to see a funked beer pour something that's perfectly translucent. To me, funked beers should pour hazy. I really wish they would leave them unfiltered, allowing the buggies to do some damage after it was bottled. The nose is a collage of aromas that brett can produce. Up front is musty closets, old hay, damp earth, a bit of barnyard intermingled with fresh flowers and a subtle malty sweetness. Really top notch. The flavor profile is a bit more subdued. The brett comes through with musty clothes and dry grasses. There is just a hint of a lactic tang. Either the hibiscus comes through or the hops, but there is a definite floral flavor. Just a bit of malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is a bit watery for me. I would have expected the brett to dry it out a little more. If you toss out the aroma, this beer is just average. The aroma is fantastic.

Lips Of Faith - Vrienden (Allagash Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing