Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 1,972 | Ratings: 8,328
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

A-Pours a dark amber with a one finger creamy head which fades rapidly.

S-Grassy, perhaps a bit of citrus. Nothing special.

T-Slightly nutty at first followed by a toasty biscut-like flavor. A bit of citrus lingers at the end. I'm not going to say that it's overtly boring, but nothing in the flavor draws me in. Overall, there is nothing offensive about this beer's flavor, it's just average.

M-Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel.

D-Good drinkability, but nothing about this beer compells me to have another. Perhaps that would be different during the summertime.

Out of the "Hipster College Student Beers" this is the best I've tasted. This beer is certainly better than the BMC crap most people drink, but it didn't live up the hype for me.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

'ESPNZone' in the 'New York - New York' in Vegas. Light crystaline amber in color, no discernable head, foam rings held at each swallowing interval all the way down the giant mug. Smelled slightly of apricot on the nose, sweet. Mildly hoppy, sweet malts, very clean and smooth. Very drinkable even in the huge mugs we had. Server brutally chilled so that may contribute to the drinkability and dryness.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Medium gold color, small head. Aroma is malty and slightly sweet. A nicely malty medium bodied amber ale. Smooth taste with a touch of hoppyness. Good balance. Nice flavor. Mouthfeel is full. Great taste. Simple flavor, very nice. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is malty, no bitterness.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz brown bottle. I like bottles that are different from the normal smooth bottle.

A - Light amber color, with creamy white head.

S - Sweet maltiness, and a floral aroma

T - Sweet malts and a hint of hop bitterness. There comes that floral hint again. Toasted grains to finish.

M - Thin and watery. Good carbonation.

D - Drinkable to say the least.

I've had this many many time. I finally decided to put my thoughts on paper because of one strange day when Fat Tire would not leave me alone. I had one after a stressful day in mid afternoon. Went out to eat at Applebee's and there in the window greeting me was the Fat Tire neon sign. Had one with dinner. Then on the way home an empty Fat Tire bottle on the sidewalk! So of course I naturally had another waiting for me in the fridge. Fat Tire was calling to me!

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

It may have been all the people that made a really big deal about Fat Tire, by the time I had it I really was not impressed at all. Don't get me wrong its not bad its just everyone made it seem to be so much more.

A- A slightly red goldish color. Small amount of foam build. Mild Carbonation.

S- A very mellow smell, mild amount of malts, has a more sweet smell.

T- A good balance between hops to malts. Still on the light side with a nice sweet hint to it.

M- Great drinkability, pretty light and mellow with a nice kick from the hop and malt balance.

A good beer just was hoping to get a little more out of it.. Cheers though!

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours transparent golden orange body with a bubbly white head.

A nutty, toasted bready malt smell fills your nostrils.

Although it is quite malty there is a hint of hop character. More of the same from the aroma with the nut(kind of pecan like) and toasted bready malt.

Light-medium bodied that is crisp and slightly refreshing.

A sessionable beer but one I’m not going to put back more than 12 oz of.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice meduim copper with a nice off-white head and vigorous bubbles.

Aroma: Lots of roasted malt, with slight hop tones.

Taste: Malty palate, with a good hoppy bitterness in the finish to give good balance.

Mouthfeel: Dry and refreshing. Wonderful balance of malt and hops.

Drinkability: A solid beer, but becoming one the I go back to less and less. Just not exciting enough for me.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Off white greyish head with a mahagony amber body, fairly clear and clean.

S: Sweet breads, a little fruity.

T: Biscuity, sweet malt profile, toasted grains. Bit of caramel and red apple. Not a lot of hops to speak of just a touch of bittering hops.

M: Medium to light body with a smooth carbonation.

D: Well, its much better on tap than it is the bottle. Not sure where the reputation of this beer came from, but it certainly isn't worth. So be it.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Started drinking this beer years ago. Poured a deep red color with a very small white head, no carbonation really. Nose was off, malty a little, not much hops and even grainy I thought. Lightly hopped, nice malt and it went down easily. Overall a decent Amber.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

[Best served in an Pint glass]

The pour was a sparkling clear light copper with an average (1-2 finger) foamy white head that diminished in a few minutes and had OK lacing.

The aroma was of a biscuit malt, a mild herbal hop and a doughy yeast with mild hint of citrus, caramel and was a little nutty.

The taste was lightly malty with a hint of caramel in the beginning and took on a very light bitter and crisp flavor with a small citrus note at the end. The flavor faded rather quickly after the swallow leaving almost nothing behind.

Mouthfeel was just a bit above light in body and creamy yet watery in texture with a prickly carbonation.

Overall a decent tasting brew, nothing overly special but quite drinkable none the less. Would make a great session beer.

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Great appearance. Bright copper with a long lasting white head and good lacing. Smell is faint, but decent. Toasted grain and a little yeast in there. Taste is very subdued and watery even, but also not bad. What is there has ok flavor I guess. The toasted bread is very evident, but pretty much everything else seems to be missing. There is a bit of an earthy mineral taste also, maybe from the water, maybe from hops. The finish is nonexistant. Surprisingly, the mouthfeel is very nice. Medium bodied for an amber ale, and very creamy on the palate. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad.

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Hilton Tavern, NN, VA
Color - nice amber with orange. Pleasant. Looks good
Nose - not much, dissappointing as i need an enticing nose. Not served too cold just no nose
Head - modest with some lace, not a main attribute, rather thin actually
Mouth- right for style. Very nice. A little fizzy.
Taste - hard to pin down. Some hops. No real depth. Darn
Finish - carbonation, not much alcohol whiich is fine, no real changes here
Overal - darn, I Expected more. Pleasant. Low abv to drink all night but nothing to write home about. Need to malt this up a notch but having said that I just ordered another. Chin Chin

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Clear copper with a pillow of rocky tan suds resting on top. Almost no smell, faint roasted malt and caramel. Tastes of light grainy malt, caramel and honey. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkable but pedestrian. A nice beer but, I don't get the hype over it, there are a lot better beers out there.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to russpowell for this one!

Best before 06Sep08:

Pours light amber with a thin off-white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of soft biscuity dough with light citrus. Mild.

The taste is biscuity. A slight bitterness balances a soft, almost toasty mild maltiness in the sweetish, pretty clean, finish.

Light-bodied and somewhat creamy.

Inoffensive, mild, biscuity. Not much to this one. Pretty mediocre overall. Not bad, but I can think of plenty other amber ales with more character.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Fat Tire. How did this phenomenon happen? My friends categorically turn up their noses when I crack my "expensive" beer. Still, these same BMC devotees would have paid me a ridiculous amount of money to bring this stuff back to Indiana in bulk. How the people at New Belgium bridged the eternal gap from piss-water to respectable amber ale appreciators is beyond me. More power to them.

Speaking to the bartenders at New Belgium's brewery, it was more than clear that Fat Tire pays the bills but is by no means the brewery's heart and soul. Still, the beer is head and shoulders above most crap out there.

Copper. Slight, clingy head. Biscuit bomb on the nose, with hints of gummy plasticene malt character.

The mouthfeel is a tad clunky and heavyhanded. The package is pulled in with a slight, light bitterness. I could drink this, but no more than one or two.

My ambivilance towards this beer is cancelled out by my philosophical advocacy of the brewery and the continued experimentation this beer funds.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A - pours a nice deep golden color with a off-white head that's built to last; coated my mug with a nice lacing that stuck around for a while

S - nose detects a hint of biscuity malts, but that's about it

T - immensely refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness; malts are more prominent than the hops, but the hops do kick in at the finish; a remarkably well-balanced brew that goes down nice and easy

M - on the thin side, but not to worry; the light to medium carbonation smoothed out eventually which allowed a pleasant creaminess to dominate at the finish

D - very good and extremely well-balanced beer, worth a shot.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours into the glass a crystal clear pale amber color with a meringue-like finger of frothy head. The lacing was generous.

The smell was sweet roasty malt, light caramel, faint fruitiness, and an earthy, nutty note.

The taste is a good sweet toasted malt base. Molasses, and dry nutty husk-like grainy flavor. Just enough hops to bring balance.

The mushroomy/nutty flavor is something you will either love or hate. I found it to be a very different. It's almost tastes like grains of paradise and the added dry nuttiness.

Moderate carbonation. Medium bodied. Dry "nutty" lingering mouthfeel.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A clear light amber body with a small white head that doesn't have impressive retention or lacing.

Smell has caramel sweetness and some hop bitterness.

The malt bill rules here, with caramel and some lightly toasted malt taking the forefront. A bit of hop bitterness in the back end, and maybe a touch of sourness throughout.

Light, moderate carbonation.

It's hard to believe I've never tried this beer before, but this was the first time. Fairly drinkable, decent beer. Seems like Yuengling for those who can't get Yuengling, which is a good thing.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Thin white head on a clear amber body.
S- A blend of hops a toasted caramel malts. Hard to pinpoint what kind of hops are in this. Kind of grassy and a few other off smells I can't pinpoint.
T- A lightly toasted caramel malt comes on to the tongue first. Light hop bitterness on the tongue. There is just a weird tang to this and I am not sure what it is. It just seems out of place. Not sure if it's the kind of hop or the way the malts are toasted.
M- Medium body with low carbonation.
D- It is alright. Nothing special but is a easy drinking beer.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

I didn't know if I'd ever drink this - it's something I imagined I would always pass over. But I got one for free, so of course I drank it.

Pours a kind of dark copper color, very clear, with a nice dense off-white head that sits around for a while. There's some decent lacing, nothing amazing, but this one looks nice. The smell is sort of subdued, but there's a crackery, kind of toasted bread type smell in there. A tiny bit of sweetness, some light esters, and some kind of chalky, grassy hops in the background. The taste comes across mostly with the toasted bread taste - not burnt you know, but lightly toasted. It's kind of sticky, and I can actually notice the presence of esters here. That sort of subtracts from the flavor that's present. The hops don't come across with a lot of flavor, but really come with a little bit of a feeling - not bitter, but just like a kind of hoppy mouthfeel or something. The malt can get kind of powdery and overbearing at times, almost making it taste dry when it's really kind of sweet. There's a kind of funny yeasty taste, too, but overall, it's fairly pleasant, and though there's nothing to wow you in here, it's not bad at all. The mouthfeel is kind of off though. The carbonation is nice, but somewhere between the huge amount of biscuit malt, the funny feeling from the hops, and the esters mixed in here, the feeling of the beer gets to be kind of off-putting. But overall, you can drink it fairly easily. The price is pretty good for a 22oz bottle, but I wouldn't say I would go after this again, but it was nice to visit once.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Had this on tap in a dark, crowded bar during a UFC fight. I'd been wanting to try this one, being a fan of most things Belgium and beery. Served in a pint glass with very little head. I tried repeatedly to get a whiff of the aroma, sticking my nose into the foam all I could get was a hint of something I couldn't place that was roasted. The color was nice deep cooper when held to the light. The taste was pleasant enough, a good balance of hops and malt with a smooth finish. I don't know what my expectations where, but they weren't quite met. I'll try it again, but Fat tire didn't crack my top ten.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

This is one I have many times without a review. Last night at a fantasy football draft the commish was proud that he had brought this one in for the guys. To be honest I was as well, since the typical beers offered are BMC.

A: Pours a murky amber brown hue with an average head. Some tinges of spotty lace are noted.

S: Huge malt aromas. Hints tons of biscuit and bread. Hints of caramel and dark fruit.

T: Malt to the max. Very biscuity with hints of caramel malt. Sweet summer fruits and a touch of brown sugar.

M: Medium in body and smooth. I think that may so many love this stuff.

D: I will be honest I drank six, not because I really like it, but it was the best being offered for the night.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

1 finger of foamy whit head that faded fairly quickly.
Light amber color. No visible carbonation Lots of sticky lacing

Musty aroma, grainy, light caramel.

Light malt flavor, not a lot of depth, light roasted flavor that lingers. Not really a hop effect but more of a roasted note.

Effervescent carbonation, light mouth feel.

Not very interesting. Drinkable but not exciting.

I've had this a couple of times and this is the first time I chose to think about it. Just not much there. I think it's a perfect gateway craft beer for folks...

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle courtesy of TJ - thanks man! Frankly, I didn't have high expectations of this one and didn't crack it until I needed some beer to go in a stew. I drank it for a while and added the rest to my dish.

Pours a rich amber with strong red highlights and an off-white head that left some slippery lace as it dropped to a thin film. Fairly standard appearance for the style. Strong toasty aroma, with lots of biscuit and a splash of caramel. Light acidity and maybe a hint of citrus. I prefer my ambers to be hopier than this, but as this is supposed to be Belgian-influenced I'm happy to cut it some slack. Flavour-wise this isn't going to make you stop what you're doing and let out a whoop of joy. It's a decent, easy-drinking beer, but it's a little flat and a little plain. If it were a bike ride it would be going down a country lane with endlessly flat farmland on either side. Pleasant, but without any real point of interest. Toasty biscuit dominates, with a touch of brown sugar in the middle, and that nagging acidity turning up in the finish where I hoped the hops would be. The medium-light mouthfeel makes this drinkable, but again does not mark this out as anything special.

Accessible and without any real defects, but also void of any real interest. The sort of beer that would be a gentle intro for non-craft drinkers, and would probably work well up at the cottage. Hard to believe that the same brewery also makes La Folie.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

My wife loves this ale. Can't really get it any closer than St. Louis ... anyway, this one is from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Pours a glowing amber color, with a substantial white head. Intricate lacing in the glass. Nose is warm malt, with hints of dough and spices. Palate is on the sweeter side; a good balance of sweet malts and bittering hops. This beer has a candy-like character to it that's nice as well ... like a toffee. Mouthfeel is medium/light, and finishes sweeter than drier. I like Fat Tire ... I can get it at Cardinals games, for one. A very good amber style ale ... a style I'm usually not real keen on.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing