Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

3.6
30%

Reviews: 1,992 | Ratings: 8,401
3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Great appearance. Bright copper with a long lasting white head and good lacing. Smell is faint, but decent. Toasted grain and a little yeast in there. Taste is very subdued and watery even, but also not bad. What is there has ok flavor I guess. The toasted bread is very evident, but pretty much everything else seems to be missing. There is a bit of an earthy mineral taste also, maybe from the water, maybe from hops. The finish is nonexistant. Surprisingly, the mouthfeel is very nice. Medium bodied for an amber ale, and very creamy on the palate. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad.

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Hilton Tavern, NN, VA
Color - nice amber with orange. Pleasant. Looks good
Nose - not much, dissappointing as i need an enticing nose. Not served too cold just no nose
Head - modest with some lace, not a main attribute, rather thin actually
Mouth- right for style. Very nice. A little fizzy.
Taste - hard to pin down. Some hops. No real depth. Darn
Finish - carbonation, not much alcohol whiich is fine, no real changes here
Overal - darn, I Expected more. Pleasant. Low abv to drink all night but nothing to write home about. Need to malt this up a notch but having said that I just ordered another. Chin Chin

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Clear copper with a pillow of rocky tan suds resting on top. Almost no smell, faint roasted malt and caramel. Tastes of light grainy malt, caramel and honey. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkable but pedestrian. A nice beer but, I don't get the hype over it, there are a lot better beers out there.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to russpowell for this one!

Best before 06Sep08:

Pours light amber with a thin off-white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of soft biscuity dough with light citrus. Mild.

The taste is biscuity. A slight bitterness balances a soft, almost toasty mild maltiness in the sweetish, pretty clean, finish.

Light-bodied and somewhat creamy.

Inoffensive, mild, biscuity. Not much to this one. Pretty mediocre overall. Not bad, but I can think of plenty other amber ales with more character.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Fat Tire. How did this phenomenon happen? My friends categorically turn up their noses when I crack my "expensive" beer. Still, these same BMC devotees would have paid me a ridiculous amount of money to bring this stuff back to Indiana in bulk. How the people at New Belgium bridged the eternal gap from piss-water to respectable amber ale appreciators is beyond me. More power to them.

Speaking to the bartenders at New Belgium's brewery, it was more than clear that Fat Tire pays the bills but is by no means the brewery's heart and soul. Still, the beer is head and shoulders above most crap out there.

Copper. Slight, clingy head. Biscuit bomb on the nose, with hints of gummy plasticene malt character.

The mouthfeel is a tad clunky and heavyhanded. The package is pulled in with a slight, light bitterness. I could drink this, but no more than one or two.

My ambivilance towards this beer is cancelled out by my philosophical advocacy of the brewery and the continued experimentation this beer funds.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A - pours a nice deep golden color with a off-white head that's built to last; coated my mug with a nice lacing that stuck around for a while

S - nose detects a hint of biscuity malts, but that's about it

T - immensely refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness; malts are more prominent than the hops, but the hops do kick in at the finish; a remarkably well-balanced brew that goes down nice and easy

M - on the thin side, but not to worry; the light to medium carbonation smoothed out eventually which allowed a pleasant creaminess to dominate at the finish

D - very good and extremely well-balanced beer, worth a shot.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours into the glass a crystal clear pale amber color with a meringue-like finger of frothy head. The lacing was generous.

The smell was sweet roasty malt, light caramel, faint fruitiness, and an earthy, nutty note.

The taste is a good sweet toasted malt base. Molasses, and dry nutty husk-like grainy flavor. Just enough hops to bring balance.

The mushroomy/nutty flavor is something you will either love or hate. I found it to be a very different. It's almost tastes like grains of paradise and the added dry nuttiness.

Moderate carbonation. Medium bodied. Dry "nutty" lingering mouthfeel.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A clear light amber body with a small white head that doesn't have impressive retention or lacing.

Smell has caramel sweetness and some hop bitterness.

The malt bill rules here, with caramel and some lightly toasted malt taking the forefront. A bit of hop bitterness in the back end, and maybe a touch of sourness throughout.

Light, moderate carbonation.

It's hard to believe I've never tried this beer before, but this was the first time. Fairly drinkable, decent beer. Seems like Yuengling for those who can't get Yuengling, which is a good thing.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Thin white head on a clear amber body.
S- A blend of hops a toasted caramel malts. Hard to pinpoint what kind of hops are in this. Kind of grassy and a few other off smells I can't pinpoint.
T- A lightly toasted caramel malt comes on to the tongue first. Light hop bitterness on the tongue. There is just a weird tang to this and I am not sure what it is. It just seems out of place. Not sure if it's the kind of hop or the way the malts are toasted.
M- Medium body with low carbonation.
D- It is alright. Nothing special but is a easy drinking beer.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

I didn't know if I'd ever drink this - it's something I imagined I would always pass over. But I got one for free, so of course I drank it.

Pours a kind of dark copper color, very clear, with a nice dense off-white head that sits around for a while. There's some decent lacing, nothing amazing, but this one looks nice. The smell is sort of subdued, but there's a crackery, kind of toasted bread type smell in there. A tiny bit of sweetness, some light esters, and some kind of chalky, grassy hops in the background. The taste comes across mostly with the toasted bread taste - not burnt you know, but lightly toasted. It's kind of sticky, and I can actually notice the presence of esters here. That sort of subtracts from the flavor that's present. The hops don't come across with a lot of flavor, but really come with a little bit of a feeling - not bitter, but just like a kind of hoppy mouthfeel or something. The malt can get kind of powdery and overbearing at times, almost making it taste dry when it's really kind of sweet. There's a kind of funny yeasty taste, too, but overall, it's fairly pleasant, and though there's nothing to wow you in here, it's not bad at all. The mouthfeel is kind of off though. The carbonation is nice, but somewhere between the huge amount of biscuit malt, the funny feeling from the hops, and the esters mixed in here, the feeling of the beer gets to be kind of off-putting. But overall, you can drink it fairly easily. The price is pretty good for a 22oz bottle, but I wouldn't say I would go after this again, but it was nice to visit once.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Had this on tap in a dark, crowded bar during a UFC fight. I'd been wanting to try this one, being a fan of most things Belgium and beery. Served in a pint glass with very little head. I tried repeatedly to get a whiff of the aroma, sticking my nose into the foam all I could get was a hint of something I couldn't place that was roasted. The color was nice deep cooper when held to the light. The taste was pleasant enough, a good balance of hops and malt with a smooth finish. I don't know what my expectations where, but they weren't quite met. I'll try it again, but Fat tire didn't crack my top ten.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

This is one I have many times without a review. Last night at a fantasy football draft the commish was proud that he had brought this one in for the guys. To be honest I was as well, since the typical beers offered are BMC.

A: Pours a murky amber brown hue with an average head. Some tinges of spotty lace are noted.

S: Huge malt aromas. Hints tons of biscuit and bread. Hints of caramel and dark fruit.

T: Malt to the max. Very biscuity with hints of caramel malt. Sweet summer fruits and a touch of brown sugar.

M: Medium in body and smooth. I think that may so many love this stuff.

D: I will be honest I drank six, not because I really like it, but it was the best being offered for the night.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

1 finger of foamy whit head that faded fairly quickly.
Light amber color. No visible carbonation Lots of sticky lacing

Musty aroma, grainy, light caramel.

Light malt flavor, not a lot of depth, light roasted flavor that lingers. Not really a hop effect but more of a roasted note.

Effervescent carbonation, light mouth feel.

Not very interesting. Drinkable but not exciting.

I've had this a couple of times and this is the first time I chose to think about it. Just not much there. I think it's a perfect gateway craft beer for folks...

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle courtesy of TJ - thanks man! Frankly, I didn't have high expectations of this one and didn't crack it until I needed some beer to go in a stew. I drank it for a while and added the rest to my dish.

Pours a rich amber with strong red highlights and an off-white head that left some slippery lace as it dropped to a thin film. Fairly standard appearance for the style. Strong toasty aroma, with lots of biscuit and a splash of caramel. Light acidity and maybe a hint of citrus. I prefer my ambers to be hopier than this, but as this is supposed to be Belgian-influenced I'm happy to cut it some slack. Flavour-wise this isn't going to make you stop what you're doing and let out a whoop of joy. It's a decent, easy-drinking beer, but it's a little flat and a little plain. If it were a bike ride it would be going down a country lane with endlessly flat farmland on either side. Pleasant, but without any real point of interest. Toasty biscuit dominates, with a touch of brown sugar in the middle, and that nagging acidity turning up in the finish where I hoped the hops would be. The medium-light mouthfeel makes this drinkable, but again does not mark this out as anything special.

Accessible and without any real defects, but also void of any real interest. The sort of beer that would be a gentle intro for non-craft drinkers, and would probably work well up at the cottage. Hard to believe that the same brewery also makes La Folie.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

My wife loves this ale. Can't really get it any closer than St. Louis ... anyway, this one is from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Pours a glowing amber color, with a substantial white head. Intricate lacing in the glass. Nose is warm malt, with hints of dough and spices. Palate is on the sweeter side; a good balance of sweet malts and bittering hops. This beer has a candy-like character to it that's nice as well ... like a toffee. Mouthfeel is medium/light, and finishes sweeter than drier. I like Fat Tire ... I can get it at Cardinals games, for one. A very good amber style ale ... a style I'm usually not real keen on.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

Well, I have heard enough about this beer from my Colorado friends, and I was finally able to give it a try. It has a bronzish copper look to it with a large foamy white head. But just from looking at it I could tell the body was going to be weak. It was watery looking. The smell was quite nice with a caramel toastiness. The flavor was all malts, no hops or yeast or anything else. I got a whole lot of toasted biscuit. It was good at first but wore on me quick. Really cloying imo. The biscuit flavor clung to my mouth. The body was really light which enabled me to drink this beer rather quickly. I could see how people who are used to the Bud Light's would get into this. It's light in body with actually some flavor. But it does nothing for me. Still this could possibly be a session beer once I get past the sticky maltiness.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a dark amber with a light head that quickly settles, leaving a thin lacing.

Definite roasted malt/nutty smell, with a bit of caramel and a little fruity undertone, maybe apple. Hops are barely detectable.

Malty and sweet. Nutty, caramel and molasses, and just a tad citrusy. Very well-balanced, hops and alcohol taste aren't really even detectable.Tart, but not bitter.

Light to medium-bodied. Nice creamy feel at first, but then too watery.

Easily drinkable since it's so light. Average ABV and no hops taste would make this a good session beer, but there's little that stands out.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My rushed pour yields an enormous frothing off-white foam-head. As it settles a bit, lacing is already evident. The color is classic red-copper of an American amber. Smells fruity at first, roasted malts and hay come through at second whiff. The taste is more subdued than the smell, a bit of black malt is thrown into the mix of bready and caramel. Some mellow grassy and spicy hops mingle with the mild red fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium or even light, but leaves a coating on the roof of the mouth nonetheless. Carbonation is understated like the flavor.

I am a bit biased against Fat Tire, because I have always thought it was overrated. Obviously not the best of New Belgium's offerings, but I did my best to review it impartially. Not my favorite amber, which isn't my favorite style.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

New Belgium has finally hit Indiana. So, I figured that if the shit was here, I might as well see what the big goddamn fuss is all about. I got the 1554 on Tuesday and was completely unimpressed. Fat Tire has fared a bit better.

Pours more orange than amber from the nice-looking little can. Big ass white head settles into a permanent ring with a good amount of lacing.

The smell is toasted caramel malt. Not the least bit assertive, though.

The flavor is just as mild as the smell. It's got a good toasty flavor to it, but there just isn't enough of that flavor to stick out.

Mouthfeel is too thin, but not terribly so. Carbonation isn't quite what I would call aggressive, but it's at least somewhat assertive.

Drinkablity is above average. I could easily throw a handful of these back in a sitting. This stuff doesn't live up to its cult status. At least it wasn't the letdown that Shiner Bock was. The next time I want an amber ale, I'm grabbing a Bell's.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a very clear, crisp golden color with a 1 finger white head. Quickly fizzed down into a spotty lacing. Notes of citrus, flowers, and orange peel on the nose. Overall, not much of a smell. Light/medium weight to the body. A quick, but very mild hop bite initially then..nothing. This beer doesn't really taste like anything to me. Dry finish with a bit of a malty aftertaste.

This is a pleasant beer I suppose, but it's lacking the flavor to make it stand out among the run of the mill ales. It would make a great session beer, and at 5.2% a 6 pack could probably have you feeling good. Just not my taste, though.

12 oz. bottle

Fat Tire is a beer that I have kept around as a "sharing" beer. Good one to serve to those that aren't beer people yet.

Pours a solid copper with a small white head that leaves quite a bit of lace.
Aroma is not very strong of anything, but you can certainly pick out sweet and grainy notes. Taste is very mild and smooth with mostly a bready middle and semi-dry finish.

I don't think of this as a stand-out beer in anyway, but it is something most people can enjoy.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a good medium aber hue with some darker qualities in the color than expected. Good bubbles and some better lacing than expeceted, along with the light foam retained throughout. The aroma is like Killians, only a peg or two higher. All right taste, but definetly overhyped in the Chicagoland area ever since it became available. Good malt character with a light cleaning effect from the hops. Not lot of hops mind you. Could be a sessionable beer. But I can't drink a "new" beer like this regularly when its so overhyped. A big hang up I know, but I can't help it.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is just a hair better than Amberbock from Michelob.

Seriously. New Belgian brewing Company? You all need to change your name. Belgium is where the BEST of the best beers come from.

The appearance is just like Amberbock, light caramel color, plenty of fermentation.

The smell. what smell? standard beer. just like any BMC I guess. I don't know, I didnt find it worth here to linger much.

Taste - See Amberbock. Watered down Ale. slight caramel flavor, some vague bitterness to balanced.

Mouthfeel - Beer. BMC. whatever.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Fat Tire is a nice approachable Amber Ale. Low in alcohol content, I like to give this beer to my friends who don't like hops. Nice golden brown in color, but very smooth and easy to drink.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A - An almost translucent red. Poured a fair sized pale head, which left some lacing. Simply stated: average.

S - Not much going in this department. I am getting some malts, a bit of nuts and some caramel.

T - A light malty brew that far surpasses the average beer that is widely available. The biscuity malts dominate the flavors while being followed by some sweet crisp notes.

M - Light-Medium bodied with a bit high carbonation for my liking in a red. The brew has an elementary amount of complexity in its progression, but nothing more. Not much horrific here, but nothing really going great.

O - Overall this is just about what I expected, an average beer. There are qualities that make this beyond the normal macro-brewed product, but due to my rather refined palette, I cannot help but notice the many imperfections in this brew.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing