Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,028 | Ratings: 8,580
4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

Had on tap at Sonka's Irish Pub, Terre Haute, IN.

Poured a nice crystal-copper color with some very nice head and decent lacing. Sweet malty scent, with a touch of fruit in the nose. Great taste, a nice malty beer with enough hops, slight though they are, to keep it from being unbalanced; has a great sugar candy flavor in the finish that really makes it excellent. Goes down very smooth, quite a nice beer.

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber into pint glass

A - clear amber in color, 2 inch white head, strong retention. good lacing

S - bready/biscuit malts, slight bit of caramel, kick of hops

T - caramel and biscuit is big, but the hops balance it out nicely. well balanced but not overly complex

M - med bodied, a little dryness to it, not a bad thing though,

Overall - above average amber, well balanced, gets the job done, very drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: True to it's style, amber. 1 finger head.
Smell: Biscuty with a nice sweetness. Pretty mild but pleasant.
Taste: Malty with a mellow sweetness, some citrus notes with a mild hop bitterness towards the end.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a balanced carbonation and a light lingering bitterness after you swallow.
Overall: A very nice and tasty beer, and a fine example of the style. Sessionable and certainly a repeater.

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours Deep Amber color with 1 finger white head, and left wonderful lacing - is really quite beautiful in the glass. Would have gotten a 5 from me if I could have gotten a little more head out of it.

Aroma - is kinda of metallic - really have to dig hard to get some bready notes and just a touch of sweetness.

Taste - get some bready character upfront followed by just a bit of crystal malt sweetness but not too much. Not any hop bitterness from this one. Finishes in the sweet side.

Mouthful is on the thin side of medium and nicely carbed.

Overall, this is a great, easy drinkin', beer! One I could consume copious amounts of on a warm day at a bbq, taking in a game or just playing poker. There is nothing too complex or complicated going on with this one, and sometimes thats just what Im looking for. This brew disappears faster from my glass than any other beer I drink. This is my Bud Light! Too bad I have to go to Texas to get it though....

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

A friend left some of this in my fridge so I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass. POurs into a pretty amber color and has a head that reduces to a mist on the top.

Has a nice fragrant smell. Can smell fruits.

Has a really nice taste. Has tones of caramel, fruits and some malt. Has perfect amount of carbonation.

Has a perfect mouthfeel, not too heavy and not too light.

Has a decent drinkability.

If you haven't tried this beverage do yourself a favor and drink one on a sunny day, you won't regret it.

Reviewed: 1/19/09

Fat Tire Ale poured a golden, clear in appearance with a sweet, bisquity aroma. This biscuity tones that I got from the aroma carried over into the flavor. The mouthfeel of this ale was thick and slightly chewy. I could drink this fine brew all day long.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

I purchased this gem at the Navy Club in Seoul Korea. I think it made me a wee bit tipsy but I liked it none-the-less. Poured this nugget into a lager glass and accompanied it with some rye crackers and sharp cheddar. Made a nice little snack time libation. It is a nice copper colour in the glass. It gave me a brief amount of head but then transitioned to a small amount of lacing with steady stream of carbonation. I like the flavor. Not sure if I tasted biscuits as some comment. It has a little caramel malt flavor and some hoppiness. I tend to go for bolder hops but this is a decent "session beer" I could send back two or three with ease.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

yeah, yeah...the talk of the town recently as it seems to be the most coveted beer recently introduced to the east side of the Mississippi River.

A fantastic looking beer. A radiant golden orange color with a fluffy, menacing lacy white head. really grand looking stuff.

really grainy aroma. wheat and corn, with a very slight malt aroma. toasted marshmallows a bit, due to its sweet smell. but mellow and not outstanding.

initial hop flavor, but ever so slight. this moves to a impact of grain and yeast, balanced well. the toasted malt they advertise is barely noticible until the aftertaste, which fills your mouth with a vengence.

Creamy, filling feel with a touch of stickiness.

Here is the thing. I have been drinking this beer out of a can since its introduction here in Indiana and merely called it okay. After pouring it out, aerating the drink and being practically moved to tears by its appearance, I have an entirely different viewpoint of the beer. It turned from good to great. No exaggeration. So, don't be lazy, people...pour this beer out into a glass and be amazed at the difference.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

I am a bar manager in North Texas and have brought in copius amounts of american microbrews as guest beers on my taps to determine what might be the best sellers in a farm town flooded with patrons who have only been exposed to what me and my friend lovingly refer to as "horsepiss beers" (you know the ones), but I've found that transfering my customers to this delightful amber has been quite easy. My patrons love the tosted malts and the smoothness of the ale, but I've found out something that all the naysayers of this fine brew might like to try. I've given several of these brews out in pints until my distributor brought me some fine crystal brandywine glasses and before my eyes those who had once disliked the brew suddenly had a change of heart. I found that the plesent aroma that fat tire exudes is very important to the drinkability of the beer. This beer is made to please several senses at once and all go to the enjoyment of this beer.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle with a raised ring on the neck Best before date, ABV, and recommended serving temperature all clearly marked.

Appearance: Poured into my New Belgium globe (great all purpose glass, by the way!). Red orange color with a medium sized head.

Smell: Lots of biscuity malt and some bread and yeast mixed in. There is also just a hint of fruit.

Taste: The same biscuit found in the aroma definitely comes through in the beer. Malt dominated, with the hops in the background. Clean and crisp taste.

Overall impression: Does this beer deserve the cult status it has? Probably not. Is it a damned fine beer? Definitely. Great session beer, and no one but the most ardent beer geek or BMC fanatic will ever turn one down.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into an American style pint glass out of a 12oz bottle. Provides a 1-finger white head which takes a little while to dissipate. There is decent lacing. The color is copper-amber-gold, and clear when held to the light. A little light in color actually I thought.

Smell is rich and malty- the chocolate malts definitely comes through with a lot of toasted biscuit. Hops are tucked away and come through somewhat earthy.

The taste is similar to the smell, with a lingering malty and somewhat phenolic tasting finish.

The feel of this beer is very nice, slightly slick and thick with a lingering chewiness on the palate.

Drinkability is a high, though a little malty in taste and feel compared to some other ambers, like Boont and Alaskan.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured chilled from bomber in flared ale glass

A: three-finger head; amber color; clear; great lacing
S: very little smell--malty, very light
T: very nice, even taste; toasted barley; nicely balance hopping contributes to hearty flavor; overall semisweet
M: very bouncy, vibrant

A really good ale; the modest ABV belies its intense, nicely balanced flavor

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance- Pale Amber with a fluffy three finger head. Nice lace in glass

Smell- Hint of chocolate cherry and biscuit.

Taste- Medium sweetness with predominant flavors of chocolate cherry, biscuit maltiness. Hops are less apparrent among the malty qualities. Flavors are far less balanced in bottles than on draft.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied, very light amber for an amber ale

Drinkability- Bottles are quite drinkable. A good session beer. This beer is significantly better on draft.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

A: A bright and clear, deep golden colored beer with a a cream and slightly rock off white head. Some light lacing left on the glass.

S: A biscuit malt aroma with a light hops notes that a bit floral and earthy. Mild fruit esters of light colored fruit.

T: A malt dominated beer with good biscuit like malt flavors, a little bready and a touch nutty. There are light hop flavors reminiscent of an English Bitters with an earthy, floral British hops character and a moderately-low hops bitterness. The balance is pretty even, leaning just slightly to the malt sweetness. The finish is off-dry with a light spicy and hops bitterness finishing quickly in the aftertaste.

M: The medium bodied beer with a medium-strong level of carbonation.

O: An easy, crowd pleasing beer with great balance, it's kind of got a lot of an English Bitters profile but made as an American Ale styled beer.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Nice medium Amber, some yeast floating in it, which I believe is intentional in the canned version of this beer. Nice white head on top that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Malty, toasty biscuity.

T: Malty, slightly dry, with a wonderful nutty/ biscuit flavor. Delicious, but I think it does loose something in the can.. I have had this on tap, in a bottle, Bomber, and at the brewer, and I think the can is the weak link.. Still good, just not as good.

M: Highly carbonated, smooth, and crisp.

D: Definitely. Light, crisp and a solid amber. This beer fits many tastes, and though it gets heat on this site, I still think it is a great beer, and a gateway beer into the craft world. There was a reason we got a keg for our graduation party.. Fat tire, you aren't the best, but you will always have a place in my heart..

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Draft at the Tap Room in Vail, CO. My first experience with the much heralded fat tire came this past weekend. Nice clear copper color, faint white head, carbonation bubbles last and last. Smell was an interesting combination of malty richness, very slight hoppy undertones, and an uncertain earthiness. Taste was crisp and pleasant to start, nice carmel malts, then again a unique earthiness to finish. Tastes coated and lingered on the tongue. I guess I expected a more noticable hop profile, but it still was very good. Lived up to the hype for me. I wish it was available on the East Coast.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

My parents brought me this six pack back from a trip down south, I have never had anything from New Belgium before so lets give it a go. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer poured a nice light amber color with three fingers worth of thick white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed the rest of the time, there is also some nice lacing.

S- Typical amber aroma with the caramel malts sticking out the most with some grassy hops at the end.

T- Pretty similar to the smell but more bready and biscuity. There's a good balance of earthy hops on the finish that helps level out the tons of breadyness that comes from the malts.

M- Medium bodied and good carbonation.

D- This beer makes a good session amber. The combination of low alcohol and good flavors make this beer pretty drinkable. Three or four of these would hit the spot.

Overall I thought this was a nice amber ale and I am glad I tried it. Too bad I have never seen this at any of the local stores. This beer was a good first impression for New Belgium, I look forward to trying more of their brews.

Edit- I had a couple of really fresh bottles that were just a little better so I adjusted the score and gave the aroma a 4 instead of 3.5, this is a good an unique beer that I always try and get when out of state.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

pours a true amber color. 1 inch of offwhite head that dissipates quickly.
Smell is biscuity and malty. sweet
Taste is slight bitterness melded around a complex bread and caramel malt profile.
Mouthfeel is medium and lingers slightly afterward. reasonably clean finish but leaves you ready for another mouthful.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Beautiful copper color with thick foamy head which drops to a thin layer but leaves lots of lacing.

Smells malty with very little hop presence. Taste is the same with just enough hops to keep the malt from getting overpowering.

Nice creamy mouthfeel makes this a very drinkable beer... the ABV might not cooperate, but I could drink 12 of these right now!

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer has some sentimental value to me because it was my first New Belgium brew. New Belgium introduced me to the wonderful world of Belgian beer culture as well as the rapidly-expanding American microbrewing industry. Cheers to the NB. Anyway. This beer, while not their best, is a reliable one. I had my most recent one in a New Belgian snifter.

A- nice amber opacity. Some extra bubbles which linger on the edges of the glass, although not a big head.

S- malty hoppiness, molasses, maple syrup, chocolate, cough medicine.

T- very flavorful, lots of chocolaty maltiness, hoppy finish, but very smooth taste, not a hint of bitterness, but also not a sweet beer.

M- carbonated, almost nitro, silky, nice amount of faint hops lingering on the palate.

D- Very easy to drink, refreshing, goes down nice.

Thank goodness they finally started distributing to Southern California.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Honey golden in color; clear with an awesome head that leaves a beautiful sticky lace.

Biscuit malt aromas--very clean smell with a slight touch of hop. The flavoring also features biscuit malt and possibly some crystal malt. The hop is subtle but very much present. A very full but balanced flavor.

The carbonation is on the high side, but this counteracts the full body. Lingering bitter hops lasts long after the swallow. This is a very nice ale that would go well with a large variety of foods.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured with a modest head, good lacing. Head did not last long though, only a faint ring throughout the drink.

Yellow, orangish color, good carbonation.

A good, balanced beer. Malt is distinct, slight caramel flavor, finishes with a superb hop taste. Just the right kind for an American Amber. Smooth mouthfeel, very rich but, again, bery balanced.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

22 oz bottle, poured into a curved pint glass.

A-Light amber, clear. Puffy head that dissipates fairly quickly, lacing sticks around a little bit. Nice

S- toasted malts, a little bit of flowery hops and a hint of Belgian sweetness of sorts

T- light toasted malts, and nutty. The sweetness is just slightly "Belgiany" to me, but we're not talking like a Dubbel or anything. The malt taste is the very definition of biscuity.

M- light to medium, light carbonation. Not really slick, and not overly drying.

O- I really can see how this is a great "gateway beer" into the world of craft brewing. I'd have this anytime, anywhere.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to angelmonster for the opportunity.

Pours a golden/red hue with active and beautiful carbonation. The head didn't stick around too long but I blame this partially on my partial spillage when opening this bad boy.

Smells pretty hoppy. Floral, biscuit, spicy even. Complex, but not what I'd say something that makes me salivate at the thought of drinking.

Tastes like crackers, probably the biscuit taste that everyone mentions. A very crisp finish and light hop bitterness. Not very complex, but enjoyable and fitting of the style.

Mouth is thin and carbonation is high. Anything else would make this beer undrinkable.

I don't know how anyone could say this isn't drinkable, this in fact is damn near a textbook session beer. Shame I can't readily get it here.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Great looking beer with a transcendent golden amber color with a nice thick foamy head with lacing.

S: Nice crisp fresh smell for this amber ale. It has a slight caramel sweetness and smells of hops present as well.

T: Very simple taste but not at the expense of flavor. It features nice caramel tones with toasted malts along with fruity traces. Much more complex taste than anticipated.

M: Feels nice and crisp in the mouth with nice coating.

D: High, I can see myself drinking this alot more in the near future.

Final Thoughts: I have seen this beer all around lately and have been waiting to buy it. I'm glad I bought it. It is a simple beer that tastes good and is very drinkable.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing