Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,008 | Ratings: 8,501
4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

This is one of the first beers I had after I started drinking beer. Because of this, it will always be one of my favorites, even though I have found better beers after it.

The beer pours a very lovely deep gold-brown color, with a slight haze, almost like a wheat beer. There is a slight head that doesnt last long and very little lace. The smell reminds me of fresh baked biscuits. The taste is bready with a hint of some some sort of citrus. Overall it is a very drinkable beer from a great brewery. Of everything I have had from New Belgium, I've yet to be disappointed.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

6 oz taster poured from large brown bottle.

Appearance: Clear amber with a nice, thick off-white head.

Smell: Malty aroma, mostly caramel, hits up front with a mild roasted grain background.

Taste: This beer definitely sways to the malty side. Caramel and bready mostly. Very little hops detectable. It finishes with a pleasant roasty taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with excellent carbonation. Nothing offensive to report.

Drinkability: This is a rather simple brew that is easy to drink. Sometimes, simple is good.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Got in trade thanks to Ben4881!!
12oz to standard pint, pours a golden amber brown, white head fades

smells nicely malty, very light hops, smooth, biscuity

tastes of nice roasty malts, almost porter-y, chocolate, slightly bready, hops are barely there but add a nice bitter finish, great flavor, a nice amber!

mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated, easy to drink and sessionable

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%

I literally only tried this beer because of the label. Man was I surprised. The smoothness and the color were incredible. I enjoyed it in the bottle but I loved it in a pint glass poured from the bottle. The taste was extremely smooth and not bitter at all. Not thick nor over powering by any means. The taste also lingered and felt like it became more enjoyable long after the gulp until the next sip. This beer definitely it one I will search for in future endeavors.

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I’m not gunna lie. I first tried this beer when I was like 12 and it was something I sampled several times throughout my teenage years. I drank it only seldom in my adult life, but wanted to drink it again while I generate my review for it in order to ensure the most accurate review. It gives this beer a nostalgic component that might increase its overall score by a half point or so. So keep that in mind.

Look-It pours a perfect amber color (and is clear) that the Brewers really nailed. The head is off-white and 2 fingers foamy, but then settles down to a thinner layer.

Smell-The aroma is biscuit, fruity, a pinch of yeast and herbal hops that are almost imperceptible.

Taste-This crisp and drinkable beer brings joy to your body as it fills your mouth with a pleasant smoky breaded malt-forward, but inconspicuous flavor where the hops are mild and herbal.

Mouthfeel-This beer is crisp, smooth, and with mild carbonation. I would say that this brew is well-balanced and subtle. This beer is not loud and obnoxious. It is perfect and it is mild.

Overall-Like I said, this beer has a nostalgic component for personal reasons, but it is such a great go-to beer that I can’t help but give it praise. The components are all humble and quiet, but if you listen then you’ll pick up on a chorus of beauty and flavor that is unlike any other amber ale. And lastly, I must say that in the world of Amber ales, this beer has the most perfect color that the name demands.

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At my local home brew supply shop yesterday, I ran into a New Belgium Rep. by the name of Dallas. Really nice guy- he shared some samples of Fat Tire with us as well as some merch. I'd never seen Fat Tire in a can before, so I thought that was really cool. I'll be perfectly honest- I've had Fat Tire a couple times previously and I've never really enjoyed it that much...my palate has expanded so much since then, so let's give this another shot.

A: Really nice head on the pour....about half an inch. The retention was ok, and it's laced well thusfar. The pour was a rusty amber...a fat rusted tire haha.

S: A bit estery almost. Maybe some apricot on the nose. It's weird to say but the smell really seems to match the color. A bit rusty--and a lot of malt on the nose. Some caramel as well.

T: It doesn't assault your taste buds from the get go. There's a really long lingering taste of caramel malt, though, and that's what I taste throughout. A malty brew.

M: Medium carbonation and a really smooth beer altogether. Nothing really sticks out and, as i said before, assaults your taste buds. It's got a good mouthfeel.

D: A very drinkable brew which explains fat tires success. It's enjoyable the whole beer through.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/2 inch head, clear, amber in color

Smell: caramel malt and some bread

Taste: caramel, bread, and small hops towards the end

Mouthfeel: light body, very sweet with a small bitter backbone, medium carbonation

Drinkability: An amber that is a bit on the sweet side. Not complex, but tasty. This one goes down way easy. I could do a six of these.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to Tom Wood for this one!
Pours a great color, light Amber with some orangey hues coming through with the light.
A nice foamy head forms and lingers with active carbonation, bubbles constantly rising.
Aroma-sweet like apricots with some hay like aromas-very pleasing.
Mouthfeel- sweet malty flavor, medium hops with no bite. A slight chocolate flavor at the end of the finish when the tongue is pressed to the roof of the palate. I know this Amber is their flagship but it is very tasty, satisfying and quaffable. This could be my go-to brew if it were available here.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

A creamy white head over a translucent amber body. Great lace and average retention. Smells of warm biscuits and caramel malts, floral hops. Hints of fruity esters and Belgian yeast. Biscuit and caramel malt flavors with an underlying hop bitterness. Light sweetness. Lean body, smooth in the mouth with a lingering slight bitterness. Very drinkable.

A great session beer. This is definately an American-Beligan hybrid, and therfore in my opinion deserves very high marks within the category of American Amber Ale. Despite its rapidly increasing distribution and what I can only guess must be exponential growth in production, this continues to be a solid brew and a wonderful specimen for beer reeducation. I hope the wider distribution is foretelling a mass shift in American tastes. Thank the gods for New Belgium.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

A--Poured from 12 oz bottle to pint glass. Reddish-orange and clear with a noticeable amount of bubbles ascending. Small, realtively light-colored head

S--Pleasant toasty, malty scent.

T--Welcoming biscuity taste, as advertised. Simple but not boring. Mellow maltiness with a barely detectable hop finish for balance.

M--Moderate carbonation, but it isn't trying to cover anything up. Kind of a dry mouthfeel--but in a good, clean way.

D--Hell yeah! An approachable session beer for just about anybody. I can see why this is so popular.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to an imperial pint.

Nice light brownish-red color with a 1/2 inch head with nice lacing.

Nice floral smell with hints of fruit and maybe a bit of caramel.

Tasted a hint of fruit, almost banana-like to me, nothing overbearing or overwhelming. Can taste the malt a bit and once again possible caramel.

Smooth brew, with a little carbonation feel and a bit of warmth when swallowing.

All in all a really great session beer as many others have said, nothing to bold, but not bland, just a really nice Amber Ale.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Looking at my review from this beer on tap, it is much better from the bottle.

It has great head, easy to create and thick. Nice retention.
Smell is inticing. Very biscuity.
Taste is balanced. Malts are very smooth and easy on the palate.
Clings to the mouth decently.
Easily a sessionable beer. An amber ale to relax with.

You have to give fat tire a try. At $13 dollars a 12 pack it's a great great pickup.

This is sort of a no frills amber ale. It's a kick back brew. I take it for what it is. I rate it that way as well.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this on vacation in Emerald Isle, North Carolina.

I really liked this beer, even though Amber's aren't really my cup of tea.

Nice body, not too bitter. Full flavored enough to have a good 6 pack in 1 sitting. Great Summer beer. Wouldn't recommend over the winter though. Hopefully they will start distributing this into Pennsylvania.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a classic Colorado ale, and one that deserves more credit than it gets. In fact, I think it's become fashionable to bash this beer because it's become so iconic. Pours a nice caramel with a creamy egg shell head. Smells of yeasty bread. Taste is well balanced with a nice hint of hops and some sweetness. Very drinkable, hell you could drink it all day and night.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a dimple pint. The color is more golden but slightly amber, with a wispy, ringy white head. The smell is caramel sweetness with a touch of noble hopping. The taste is dominated by caramel, with a sweet honey flavor as well, but well-balanced by a Tettnang/Hallertau hop that provides a presence without being overpowering. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, some could say this is a bit cloying, but I think it's balanced just correctly, and as such this is such a nice session beer that I could easily drink this all day

Thanks to BlueMooner for this bottle. I imagine that people in the western part of the US, with Fat Tire's ubiquity, would be absolutely surprised that Fat Tire is so sought after by people east of the Mississipi where we don't see a drop of it. It's a shame that we don't see it out this way, but I could see myself drinking this one on a hot summer day....a terrific sessioner, and I see just why it's such a hit...one I'd enjoy having again.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Drank on tap at New Belgium BC. 19 IBU, made with Willamette, Goldings, and Magnum hops, Pale, C-40, Munich, and Victory malts. Clear, light caramel forming a thin white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is fruity, biscuity, toasty, grainy with light must and apples. Taste begins with floral hops, delicate brown toasty malts, and a earthy finishing bitterness. Crisp, extremely brisk mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation and lightly dry finish. The bottled version takes awards for looking nicer, but the draft version has a smoother mouthfeel and more aromatic complexity.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Fat Tire is a great beer in my opinion. Its deep copper color and biscuit aroma with a hint of berry stand out as in no other beer. The taste is a very smooth and fine blend. Its carmel and biscuit flavor are really something. A full bodied beer. Another great beer by New Belgium.

Good stuff this is!

When I turned 21, this was my first beer (although it was on tap then). Delicious!

It is, of course, a dark beer. Completely opaque in a stein. Forms a nice frothy head.

The smell is spectacular. Dark, malty, slight ester notes, and generally delicious.

The taste is, well, delicious (notice a theme here?). As most others have said, the hop presence is not very strong. Malt and biscuit are the predominant flavors here, as well as a hint of mushrooms. It's also very... toasted. My father says the taste is far too burnt for his liking (although, take into account that all he buys is Icehouse or Busch).

Mouthfeel is quite good. Carbonated well enough.

This is a spectacular beer. This beer is the reason I never got into macro brews. Before I turned 21, my father gave me O'douls and (one) Busch beer, so I should have turned out liking the swill put out by BudMillCoor. However, I did not, and have this beer to thank for that. In a word, delicious.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Pale copper color, good head and lacing.
Mostly malty aroma, toasty, biscuity.
Great balance though in the flavor. More biscuity from the malt, but also a good hoppiness too. A good mouthful gets a solid bite, but small sipping shows off more of the floral nature.
The balance of the beer does it for me, making it a very sessionable beer.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a golden color with a substantial head. A strange smell... still pleasant but unexpected. Taste was very good, I would definitely consider it a summer beer best enjoyed in the heat. It was not too hoppy or too malty. It's not a beer I would drink more than four of at a time, but relatively light enough to be enjoyed in quantity. Great beer.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Crystal clear golden honey body with a white froth of a head similar to seafoam. Looks pretty good from here.

Some musty earthy malt, caramel, and a rich chocolate and hazelnut aroma that reminds me of Nutella...mmm.

Tastes just like it smells. Initially an earthy hop bitterness, then malt sweetness that slowly fades to a creamy oatmeal finish.

Mouthfeel is thin-medium, and it doesn't hurt it at all. Carbonation is spot on though. Super-easy drinking as well. This is my definition of a perfect session beer.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Enjoy By 4/6/14. 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a beautiful transparent copper with great clarity; fluffy white head that slowly fades leaving great lacing and retention. The aromas are full of caramel malts. Lots of bread. Hints of toffee and butterscotch. Some corn is in the mix as well. The flavors are crisp and refreshing. Very earthy. Slightly sweet. More caramel. Healthy amount of malts. Hops are very subtle. More corn. More butterscotch. Mouthfeel is awesome. It's medium-bodied but creamy and fluffy with active carbonation. It's extremely smooth and very drinkable.

This is a great example of a traditional amber ale. It might not be adventurous to some, but the craftsmanship takes this one over the top. It's very "food friendly" too.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz brown bottle withn the famous fat tired bike on the label.
Appearance is pretty darn good nice clear amber coloured beer, with a largish off white head that shrinks but still persists.
smell is malty..it actually starts to smell like fresh baked biscuits..pretty good.
mmm i like the taste it has a rather creamy consistancy..but i tatse the chocolate type malts and some slight hoping behind actually very nice.
Very creamy smooth on the tongue for an amber..its pretty cool stuff.
An exceptionally drinkable amber..and its even better on tap..good stuff.

got a 650ml bottle and poured it into a small glass

A- The design on the bottle as well as the beer was excellent. Beer poured a nice dark amber color that reminded me of maple wood. Decent head with many different sized bubbles

S- Smells good with a sweet malt carried by a hint of fruits(mostly grape)

T- Tastes excellent with a balance of fond malts and a hint of fragrant hops and light fruits

M- Feels excellent with a smooth medium body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks good with a refreshing aftertaste

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

amazing this is the best beer i have had. i want all my friends to try it i love this and everything about it. amazing this is the best beer i have had. i want all my friends to try it i love this and everything about it. amazing this is the best beer i have had. i want all my friends to try it i love this and everything about it.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing