Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

3.6
30%

Reviews: 1,992 | Ratings: 8,399
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Has a amber colored liquid with a slightly off white head.Not much laceing left behind but you can find lots of beading on the inside.

Smell: Has a woody/nutty aroma with some sort of over ripe fruit(perhaps oranges and grapefruit) A light malt character with no detection of hops or alcohol.

Taste: The flavors are much like the nose,subtle sweet and light malts,a little bready,the fruits seem to play a better role in flavor but its not enough to make me go crazy about this beer,period.Vague alcohol hints in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with low carbonation. Has a watery flow. Not much to get excited about here either.

Drinkability: I have had this beer before, it's easy find here in Texas.It's in almost every bar on draft but isn't much better. Just a good cheap,keep the buzz rolling,kinda beer.

Cheers2Beers

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear brown with little head and no retention. Low level of lacing. Smells of malt. Tastes of strong malt, nuts, and a slight hop background. Smooth body with tart (nutty) aftertaste. Overall, the strong malt and tart aftertaste make it hard to recommend.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty bland amber ale. Easy to drink but gets boring halfway through. I think there are better Amber Ales out there so I do not plan on picking this up again.

look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always wanted to try New Belgium as its new to our area and boy was I disappointed. It starts out looking good in the glass but it's a downhill from there and rather steeply I might add. Smells of wet dog fur - very musty and dank. The taste up front is solid and gets your hopes up only to disappoint with a stinging dry bland follow. If this is a benchmark from New Belgium my enthusiasm for another one of their offerings has fizzled just like their Amber Ale did half way through my pint. Just an average beer in a cool bottle and hyped beyond deserving.

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Well, I gotta say, I just don't like Ambers. The Fat tire amber ale is very common out here, and lots of my friends drink it regularly. In fact, that's where I had my last one, at a friends house.

Color is good, nice dark amber. Smells wheaty and grainy with a little hop. Tastes blands to me, not much in it to get me going, but like I said, I don't really like ambers. Mouthfeel is flat. Not a beer I will be looking to drink more of.

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

12 oz. bottle into pint glass -

A - Pours a clear golden amber color. A medium thickness head of 2 fingers forms, but dissipates quickly.

S - Faint hints of caramel malts with very subtle notes of citrus hops. Not impressive at all.

T - Same subdued caramel malt notes as on the nose. Small amount of bitterness but no distinct hops notes or esters.

M - Medium bodied, wet, and crisp. Almost ideal for the style, but highly carbonated.

D - Fat Tire probably serves better as an introduction to microbrews. That being said, there are far worse.

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into nonic glass, amber color, above ave. carbonation, 2 finger, then 1 finger long lasting head w/lacing. Smell was harsh/metallic, earthy hop to the extreme (normally favor this aroma/flavor), not exactly saying drink me. Some sweet malt up front, metallic taste returns, unpleasant hop finish. Some fruitiness as it warmed. (harshly bitter, no detectable flavor otherwise) No unique flavor components of any sort, overall. All over the board, ave drinkability. Very dissapointing, more so if this is allegedly in the Belgian style.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

I was quite unimpressed by this beer concitering it has gotten so muc hype over the years. It poured a nice amber color with a nice head that faded quickly and left little to no lace down the glass. The smell is nothing special, some sour citrus and stale bread scents float off of this brew. The taste was not to good either and was plagued by an overly-woody, oak like flavor that was not all that pleasing. This is not a beer I will be revisiting.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

Big foo-fraw about Fat Tire going on sale in the Richmond VA area - Decent sale price at Martin's Supermarket as a promotion. Two 22oz. for $6.00

Poured into a pint glass. Appearance does not strike me as an "Amber Ale" - More of a golden wheat color.

1-finger head that disappears quickly - minimal lacing.

The only way I can honestly describe everything else about this beer is that I'm not the slightest bit impressed, considering the amount of hype it has gotten. Fairly boring brew that for the life of me tastes like nothing more than *slightly* better version of a run-of-the mill adjunct lager. Smooth drinkability, but it also has a lingering, metallic aftertaste that I personally can't abide.

Not that it's truly offensive or "bad" ... it's just ... meh.

2.59/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass

A: Carbonation is high and was a little difficult pour the first time, almost spilled.

S: Smell is earthy, bread-like, big malty character too with a tinge of hops.

T: Strong earthy and biscuit like tones. I am not a fan of the big malty flavors of this brew. I know American Amber tends to have that, but I think they went a little overboard with it. Its not a bad beer but I wont drink it if I can avoid it.

M: Carbonation is pretty high and tingles my taste buds. The brew was kinda thick, just as an ale should be.

D: It becomes more drinkable as it warms but the taste alone just puts me off.

I just can't understand why some people have come to define this brew "godsend." Some may say if I don't like the style then I shouldn't have reviewed it. I defend my review in the fact that I have an open mind to every brew and that every good beer deserves a good shot. I have indeed found a few American Amber Ales but I think Fat Tire Amber Ale appeals to a certain characteristic, and only that characteristic.

Cheers.

2.59/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted at the Whole Foods in Novato, in their tasting area. Poured into a small pint style glass.

A: Nice hazy amber color. Good head with good lacing. Looks is all this beer really has.

S: Very faint. i could hardly smell anything. What I did smell was a light caramel sweetness and not much else.

T: Bland. All the flavors sort of meld together and become muddled. Very light.

M: On the lighter lighter side. None of the palate coating caramel maltiness that I enjoy..

O: This is a good beer to give people to introduce them to craft. It will not overwhelm anyone with flavor.

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

22 oz bottle with freshness date poured into pint glass

A- Very very clear amber color- Nice head, decent lacing

S- Interesting- Smells like unbaked bread and musty moldy slightly over-ripe fruit

T- All malt- Lingering aftertaste

Overall- Disappointing- Where's the hops?

2.61/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Has this beer changed that much or is it just me? I don't remember it being anything exciting or interesting. I remember a light beer with some balance from caramel malt. Now it is somehow less. I used to be able to drink it, now there is no point.

The last glass of this I had was light and overly citric, grapefruits and lemons. Beyond that it didn't taste like much of anything. Dried out a bit on the finish.

Light in body, not very good, a bit sad. I guess I'll have to try this one more time, but not unless I get it free.

2.61/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A little bit of tire/rubber on the nose on a base of malts. Color is a good-looking amber, tending toward golden.

Mouthfeel starts pretty flat, and then picks up from the carbonation. Not much to the taste experience. Some of the same rubber undercurrent. A little bit of bitterness on the second half. Ends with biscuity malts. Flavors start to come together a little more on subsequent sips, but flits away a little too quickly for me. Aftertaste feels like it is stuck in my throat.

Overall: B-

2.62/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance - Thanks to Chuck's for this. A nice carbonated tangerine orange. Bubbly with life. A thin soap-like head that laces to the glass nicely.

Smell - The morning smells of fresh, light citrus fruits. A bit of orange and lemon. Not too strong of a smell.

Taste - I must admit that I am a little let down by the taste. This is a very average amber ale. No unique or outstanding flavors really shine here. A bit of citrus and lemon with red ale properties. Decent.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A flat and carbonated mouthfeel. Light-bodied and appears a bit tasteless at times. Not dry, but not succulent either.

2.62/5  rDev -27.2%

Borderline blonde-amber (lighting was a little low, granted) with a fizzy but rapidly dissipating head.

I must say, I was not too impressed with the smell, and it tasted like a watered-down IPA.

It went down alright, a little watery, but overall, it was drinkable.

2.62/5  rDev -27.2%

pours a one and a half finger head and a light copper color. the head is creamy white and fairly dense. earthy, musty smell that is not very appealing, like a cross between tea and fresh mud. heavy on the mud. substantial mouth feel. the slick hangs around a bit. medium carbonation. i taste the mud as well. at least it is sweet mud, as there is ample evidence of malt along with it. i am not getting past that aroma. this just apparently is not my beer as i have read a sampling of other reviews but cannot agree. ps; i know i have a distaste, or should i say dis-smell, for fuggles as an aroma hop and i am pretty sure that is what is going on here with the earthy aroma, so if you don't have this personal dislike, disregard the above review.

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a dark gold sorta color. The beer poured a off white head that was really nice. The smell was terrible like rotten fruit or something. The taste was watery with a bunch of clashing horrible flavors banging each other. I will never buy this beer again

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz bottle dated best before 01JUL12. Served in pint glass. Beer is a medium orange amber with lots of fizz but very little head. Aroma is of biscuity malt/yeast.

Flavor is pretty flat, however. A little bit bitter, a little bit chalky, a little bit skunky/lagery. Highly carbonated on the tongue. I don't appreciate any Belgian inspiration here. The strongest flavors are of toast and biscuit, with an underpinning of nondescript hops, neither floral nor citrusy.

Highly overrated IMO, and not nearly as good as many others from New Belgium.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a clear amber with a nice poofy white head. Nose is malty and bread. Flavors are thin, but very typical amber. Slight bitterness and missing that rounded, fruity, slightly hopped, smoothness. Mediocre at best. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

A-Pours a nice head with a nice bit of lacing. Soft golden honey color with a bit of murkiness.

S-Has that yeasty, bread bread smell that overwhelms anything else. Slight hops with almost no malt.

T-The New Belgian yeast continues to dominate, the soft malt comes in more for this one, but even then, this beer doesn't scream amber to me.

M-Very pleasant, soft but complex flavors that allow the beer to sit well.

D-Fat Tire is a beer that I believe is brewed to be drinkable while not being overly impressive in flavor.

2.67/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: The beer pours as transparent rusted honey. The head is uneven with patches of bubbles. This is way too carbonated and in my opinion the appearance doesn't hold up well in the amber category.

Smell: The ale smells like warm biscuits smothered in butter. There are hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. I am thinking of excess and lack of subtlety when I taste this beer. I feel the brewers were exuberant about making something original in taste but forgot to take quality into consideration.

Taste: My immediate impression is of soggy graham crackers sprinkled with nutmeg and ginger. It leaves a peanut butter aftertaste in my mouth There is no balance in this beer. The spice flavors are overpowering and artificial tasting, while the hop languish in the mix. Fat Tire is extremely dilute. I don't want to drink any overly carbonated craft brews again. I have had good New Belgium beers before.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is watery, bland, and forgetful.

Overall: I like some New Belgium beers, but I find it hard to understand why Fat Tire is so popular. I don't understand the hype.

2.67/5  rDev -25.8%

Well to DC New Belgium!

Best by 11 Dec 2011.

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Poured a melted Jolly Rancher orange-red.... more on the orange side come to think of it. Nice fluff to the cottony head, with retention to boot.

S: Malty, biscuit-like, with a slight bit of crisp hoppiness. It delivers a fair amount of aroma, but not too much.

T: Not diggin it... I got sort of a stomach acid-like taste to it, with a somewhat chalky palate profile in place of the usual hop fruitiness found in a lot of ambers. Have you ever tried stale brown sugar before? This is honestly the best descriptor.

M: The carbonation was fine, but after a couple of sips, I honestly didn't care any more. The lacing was cobweb-lke.

O: When the world ends, this beer will survive, along with Yuengling Lager... and Sam Adams Boston Lager.... and AB products... and countless other brews that non-craft beer people constantly bring up when the subject of craft beer is mentioned.

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

I have heard things about Fat Tire. I heard it was great. I'm gonna find that person and ask them what was wrong. I was very unimpressed with this brew. It looked great after the pour, but the taste was weak. It had no real special taste to it. The beer went dwon easy, but it struggled to make it past my mouth. I'm not a slammer of beers, so I'm gonna say i got a bad batch and I'll have some when i want to encounter this again. Until then, I'll can just say this Fat Tire was flat. (Pun, I know. Don't hurt my karma, it's all I got left in this world.)

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonick pint glass. It pours a medium copper color with three fingers of head that die off to a small collar fairly quickly. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly grassy with some hops present, and a good dose of maltiness. Fairly balanced, but just a little light. The taste is very grassy, a little flavor of rice, even though I doubt it's used in the brew. Fairly malty, but tasted adjuncty. The mouthfeel is fair, a little light. The drinkability suffers some from the taste, but isn't too bad. I expected more in the taste from New Belgium. I don't know why this has suck the cult following that it has.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing