Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 1,984 | Ratings: 8,368
2.06/5  rDev -42.8%

"Not impressed" seems to cover it. I had this on tap out West, but I drank it after I had been drinking some glorious Sierra Nevada, fresh as I ever get it in New York. So this hop-less amber was a big disappointment. Nice red color though, but I wasn't taking pictures of this beer. If you drink Fat Tire, make sure you don't do so after drinking some wonderful hoppy beer. Otherwise all you get is a cloying sweet taste that was too much for me to even finish it. Skip this amber for many other worthy examples.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

I've had Fat Tire many times before but felt compelled to review it after the great experience I had today.

Bought from the Charleston Beer Exchange for $4.99 for a growler fill. New Belgium promo where they were giving away glasses, bottle openers, decals, and they even threw in a free frisbee for me when I told them I drove 30 miles to come get this special.

A- Dark Copper color with a slight head. Looks great in my free New Belgium.

S- Sweet malty with a bit of hops

T- I'm normally a hop head, but the sweet maltiness of this beer is absolutely delicious. I don't know the technical terms, but a sweet "bready" flavor to this is how I'd describe it.

M- Feels great going down

Overall I love this beer. It's strange, I drank it a few times a while back but wasn't too impressed, but a couple of months ago I gave it another chance and have been drinking it steady ever since. Two thumbs up to New Belgium and CBX also for this great promo offer.

Bottle poured into a mug. Pours a beautiful medium amber with an inch & a half head. Nice sticky white lacing. Smells biscuity and malty. The taste is medium bodied, with biscuit, malt, and a hint of nuttiness. Mouthfeel is very nice...medium bodied. Very drinkable...not too weak, not too strong. A nicely balanced, highly drinkable beer. Nothing overly special, but I would definitely buy if craving an amber.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Hard to tell drinking out of a bottle... While not ideal, obviously, it seemed like a better option than the available plastic cups.

Smell: Mild hints of peppery malt, not especially noteworthy. Made me want to continue, but more out of curiosity than from anything it offered up.

Taste: Maltier than the smell suggested, and thankfully so. Early, bready, malt flavor, with a distinct earthy undercurrent.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with better than average carbonation. Starts strong and finishes stronger, a little thin in between. Clean malt aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. Any complexity it has gets lost after the first one or two, but no reason not to continue. It's a shame New Belgium doesn't distribute this to Northeast U.S.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

One of my favorite beers! The toasted slightly yeast like flavors really come through. I definitely prefer to have it on tap or poured into a glass rather than from the bottle because it becomes a different beer altogether when it has time to breathe.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. This is the first day NB is available in NC. It's a great day!

A- Poured golden amber into the glass with a rising tan-white head that settles back into the liquid after a few sips. Very inviting.

S- Beatiful malty aroma that makes me salivate.

T- Simply delicious. Malt predominates, but it dosen't overpower. Nice subtle hop flavor finish.

M- Rich and creamy. So good.

D- Very drinkable. Every sip leaves you wanting to come back for more. Would be a fantastic beer to look forward coming home to every day.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 750ml bottle. Thin, lingering layer of head. Foam sticks to the glass. Very clear in appearance.

Smell was malty and slightly sweet.

Taste overall was somewhat bland for me. A little hoppy with a bit of malt and maybe some sweet coming through.

Mouthfeel was decent. Not much to the aftertaste on this one, nor was the alcohol very apparent.

Drinkability was decent.

Overall, a fairly good beer but nothing special. Maybe the amber style isn't particularly for me but oh well.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

Light Amber in color, with medium to semi-thick lacing. Head showed decent retention.

Bready malt and floral like smell. Some kind of sweet fruitiness.

Taste was somewhat disappointing though. Watered down Biscuity malt with a slight bitterness.

This beer has good drinkability because it's somewhat "light" tasting, and easy to knock back a few.

Overall, it isn't my first choice in Amber Ales, but something worthy of drinking again at some point.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This to me is the craft beer of craft beers... if you like craft beer this will probably be your first beer if you're just now getting into it. I must say it's a good beer to drink, I still prefer a samuel adams, but it isn't overly impressive. I enjoy a good amber ale but this just wasn't kicking it for me, perhaps I've let my tongue stray to the stronger beers but this a damn good beer to have with dinner if you aren't looking to over power your taste buds and just have a decent beer with dinner.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

A - pours a nice deep golden color with a off-white head that's built to last; coated my mug with a nice lacing that stuck around for a while

S - nose detects a hint of biscuity malts, but that's about it

T - immensely refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness; malts are more prominent than the hops, but the hops do kick in at the finish; a remarkably well-balanced brew that goes down nice and easy

M - on the thin side, but not to worry; the light to medium carbonation smoothed out eventually which allowed a pleasant creaminess to dominate at the finish

D - very good and extremely well-balanced beer, worth a shot.

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

This beer poored a amber/bronze color with a nice white head. It smelled of toasty malt with a nice biscuity note that it is known for.

The taste was well balanced between the malt and hops that made it very refreshing, and just what you would expect from the aroma. The body was decent, and it had a slite bitterness at the end. Overall it was pretty good.

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. ("Now Voluntarily available in Tennessee" edition) bomber into a pint glass....

Appearance:

Pours out a nice medium brown with a hint of red with a frothy white head. Nice lacing forms as well down the glass.

Smell:

I smell a sweetness from the malt, almost fruity, as well as definite yeast.

Taste:

Toasted malt, tastes like warm bread. A slight bitterness in the aftertaste, but not that much.

Mouthfeel:

Fantastic. So smooth in the mouth and goes down easy. Carbonation is perfect. Perfect score in this area for me.

Overall, this is a fantastic session beer. Not the best beer in the world and some would say overhyped, but I think it deserves all the praise it gets. Well balanced, sooo drinkable, and down right tasty. Bravo New Belgium.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Reviewing this on the first day New Belgium is avaliable in North Carolina. Pours an off white puffy head. Left a bit of offwhite lacing.The color is a trasparent light copper. The carbination is fairly high. Smell has a slight hoppy scent too it with a bit of maltiness in there, not overly impressed. Taste has a big malt forward base, not really much in for hops exept a touch of like refreshness at the end. The taste almost reminds me of High life with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel is alright, had a bit of consistency and has pretty clean aftertaste. Overall I was a bit disapointent with this one. It wasnt bad but didnt stand out If I want this light high carbinated malty taste Ill get a high life for a quarter of the price. I just hope the rest of new belgiums offerings to NC are better.

4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

4.49/5  rDev +24.7%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

New Belgium's flagship brew is the best American Amber on the market today (at these of those that are somewhat mass marketed). This beer mixes a great craft flavor with a drinkability not often seen with beers of this complex flavor. Much better on tap than in the bottle, but either way is still an enjoyable experience.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Through the beginning of college I always hated the Coors light and Bud light everyone had at parties. So one day I decided to pick this up as it looked a bit more appetizing.

From bottle poured into glass.

Amber color, not horrible looking. Very small head that disappeared very quickly.

Smell was actually pretty good in my opinion. Hints of malt and very small overtones of fruit.

Taste was good as well sort of chocolaty at the front with a small carbonation bite at the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel was fine until I sessioned this beer to which it eventually gave me a film around my mouth. Not too pleasant.

Overall a good choice of beer if you absolutely can't find any micro-brews and you have to go to Wal-mart.

4.94/5  rDev +37.2%

A - Good, but really, who cares about color.

S - So good, this is the perfect mix of sweet caramel malt and hops.

T - Balanced and effervescent, the taste is almost like there are herbal elements to the beer.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink a six pack so easily.

Whould I buy it again: Absolutely
Would I recommend it to a friend: Absolutely
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: Absolutely
Would my wife drink it: Yes
Overall: This is my favorite beer, hands down. It has the perfect balance of malt and hops. Very effervescent and so drinkable.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Poured a red-amber with a nice thick foamy head and lace.

Nose- Some sweet malt hits first. Fairly yeasty with bread crust elements. Just a wee bit of bitter hops towards the end. Maybe some orange.

Taste- Some grains and yeast here. Caramel and toastiness dominate. I suppose one could say "biscuity".

Mouthfeel- Pretty crisp, somewhat thin in its body, but when combined with the thick head yields a nice round texture.

Overall- Not what I'd call a life changing beer, but one of my go-tos when I'm out and nothing else sounds good. Always a pleasure to drink.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very good beer and good representation of an amber ale. Bought at Sam's Club in 22 oz. bottle. Poured into a Sam Adam's pint glass. Nice head with nice lacing. Goes down easy with a nice taste. Would be a nice step-up for a mega brewery beer drinker. Highly recommend.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a clear light amber color with a good sized white head that diminishes quickly into a ring. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma is biscuit and caramel malts. Taste is similar with biscuit and caramel malts along with a slightly grainy finish. Finishes with a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to light with good drinkability.

If I can't drink at least 6....I don't really want to drink the beer. To many craft beers are to thick sugared up and over hyped....virtually undrinkable. The real trick in brewing is making a great tasting drinkable beer....and this is definitely one of them. One of my favorites! Great malty biscut like flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Very enjoyable.... I could drink 12 easily. Note: Isn't it interesting that the most popular beers are ranked the lowest......go figure. Beer nerds know more than any one I suppose.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a generous head that gives off herbal and hoppy aromas, with slight malt undertones. This gives way to a very balanced flavor profile. Rather dry, with a subtle but still sharp hoppiness. It does indeed have a biscuit like flavor that can be appreciated in the after taste. What this beer does well is that there are no offensive or overpowering flavors. You could argue that it is on the bland side because of that. It's a very easy drinking beer, but one that you can still savor and sip. This is a beer that anyone could enjoy. At $15 for a 12 pack, this beer really is an accessible craft beer.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

This beer always gets mixed reviews. Out on the east coast it's very cult-y and people seem to swarm to places where it's available. I guess that's what limited distribution can do for a brand.

Anyhow, while in Colorado (where this is on tap at seemingly every bar) I knocked back a few Fat Tires. Overall, I think it's an interesting beer. It has a very bready and biscuity aroma and flavor. Some definite caramel malt sweetness and minimal hop flavor or aroma.

It's a unique and different flavor from many other amber ales out there. I'm not sure if it is the malt makeup or the yeast strain, but there is something unique here. Definitely worth trying, although not an everyday drinker for me.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This pours a light amber color (as the style name would suggest). Roughly an inch of head.
S: Bready malts in the nose, but not strong at all. Doesn't smell bad, just not enough aroma to go around.
T: The first thing I noticed is the maltiness of this brew. This beer leans on the malty side and could probably use a little more hops to balance it out.
M: Good mouthfeel. Smooth, creamy, and goes down easy. A slighty crisp finish.
D: Easy to drink. A decent session beer.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing