Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

Reviews: 1,997 | Ratings: 8,419
4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

I love Fat Tire. Once I am more adept at examining beer critically, I will know why it is that I love it so much, and update my review then.

But for right now, I will say that it is because of the following reasons: Its rich, nutty aroma; its creamy feeling like that of a decadent, chocolate cream pie; its luxurious, opaque amber appearance and sustained, light-brown head; and its completeness of taste in that it stimulates sweet and bitter simultaneously and in precise balance between the two without lingering a second in excess.

Did I mention that I love Fat Tire.

With Respect for Beer,

4.49/5  rDev +24.7%

First off big thanks to Dros and Willy for getting this beer to me from North Carolina all the way to Maryland via 14 hour drive.

What a interesting beer. Pored from a bottle into a pint glass after letting it sit in the freezer for 20 minutes. Once the head settles theres a thin tan lacing that lasts for the duration.

The taste threw me off the first time I tried it. The second time I came to it I was a little more mature. After tastes a little sharp when chilled too much, after letting the room temp warm it up it transforms into probably my favorite beer yet. The taste resembles some sort of sugar with a strong aftertaste. Wish I could give a more educated review on this one to do it justice, but really this is a great beer to try if you can get it.

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Poured a red-amber with a nice thick foamy head and lace.

Nose- Some sweet malt hits first. Fairly yeasty with bread crust elements. Just a wee bit of bitter hops towards the end. Maybe some orange.

Taste- Some grains and yeast here. Caramel and toastiness dominate. I suppose one could say "biscuity".

Mouthfeel- Pretty crisp, somewhat thin in its body, but when combined with the thick head yields a nice round texture.

Overall- Not what I'd call a life changing beer, but one of my go-tos when I'm out and nothing else sounds good. Always a pleasure to drink.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

New Belgium's flagship brew is the best American Amber on the market today (at these of those that are somewhat mass marketed). This beer mixes a great craft flavor with a drinkability not often seen with beers of this complex flavor. Much better on tap than in the bottle, but either way is still an enjoyable experience.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Through the beginning of college I always hated the Coors light and Bud light everyone had at parties. So one day I decided to pick this up as it looked a bit more appetizing.

From bottle poured into glass.

Amber color, not horrible looking. Very small head that disappeared very quickly.

Smell was actually pretty good in my opinion. Hints of malt and very small overtones of fruit.

Taste was good as well sort of chocolaty at the front with a small carbonation bite at the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel was fine until I sessioned this beer to which it eventually gave me a film around my mouth. Not too pleasant.

Overall a good choice of beer if you absolutely can't find any micro-brews and you have to go to Wal-mart.

4.94/5  rDev +37.2%

A - Good, but really, who cares about color.

S - So good, this is the perfect mix of sweet caramel malt and hops.

T - Balanced and effervescent, the taste is almost like there are herbal elements to the beer.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation.

D - I could drink a six pack so easily.

Whould I buy it again: Absolutely
Would I recommend it to a friend: Absolutely
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: Absolutely
Would my wife drink it: Yes
Overall: This is my favorite beer, hands down. It has the perfect balance of malt and hops. Very effervescent and so drinkable.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very good beer and good representation of an amber ale. Bought at Sam's Club in 22 oz. bottle. Poured into a Sam Adam's pint glass. Nice head with nice lacing. Goes down easy with a nice taste. Would be a nice step-up for a mega brewery beer drinker. Highly recommend.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a clear light amber color with a good sized white head that diminishes quickly into a ring. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma is biscuit and caramel malts. Taste is similar with biscuit and caramel malts along with a slightly grainy finish. Finishes with a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to light with good drinkability.

If I can't drink at least 6....I don't really want to drink the beer. To many craft beers are to thick sugared up and over hyped....virtually undrinkable. The real trick in brewing is making a great tasting drinkable beer....and this is definitely one of them. One of my favorites! Great malty biscut like flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Very enjoyable.... I could drink 12 easily. Note: Isn't it interesting that the most popular beers are ranked the lowest......go figure. Beer nerds know more than any one I suppose.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The look and smell of this widely available brew are pretty nice. Clear copper with a slim head. Caramel and biscuity notes are present in the smell which gives you fair warning of the maltiness of the taste. Very bready taste and its not bad. What gets me is that the finish isnt clean and tends to leave almost a film on my tongue and roof of my mouth. Still wont turn one down at a party.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a generous head that gives off herbal and hoppy aromas, with slight malt undertones. This gives way to a very balanced flavor profile. Rather dry, with a subtle but still sharp hoppiness. It does indeed have a biscuit like flavor that can be appreciated in the after taste. What this beer does well is that there are no offensive or overpowering flavors. You could argue that it is on the bland side because of that. It's a very easy drinking beer, but one that you can still savor and sip. This is a beer that anyone could enjoy. At $15 for a 12 pack, this beer really is an accessible craft beer.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

This beer always gets mixed reviews. Out on the east coast it's very cult-y and people seem to swarm to places where it's available. I guess that's what limited distribution can do for a brand.

Anyhow, while in Colorado (where this is on tap at seemingly every bar) I knocked back a few Fat Tires. Overall, I think it's an interesting beer. It has a very bready and biscuity aroma and flavor. Some definite caramel malt sweetness and minimal hop flavor or aroma.

It's a unique and different flavor from many other amber ales out there. I'm not sure if it is the malt makeup or the yeast strain, but there is something unique here. Definitely worth trying, although not an everyday drinker for me.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This pours a light amber color (as the style name would suggest). Roughly an inch of head.
S: Bready malts in the nose, but not strong at all. Doesn't smell bad, just not enough aroma to go around.
T: The first thing I noticed is the maltiness of this brew. This beer leans on the malty side and could probably use a little more hops to balance it out.
M: Good mouthfeel. Smooth, creamy, and goes down easy. A slighty crisp finish.
D: Easy to drink. A decent session beer.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

A: golden amber in color, weak legs and moderate head that dissipated after a few minutes

S: biscuit malt, barely discernable hop aroma

T: malty and slightly earthy with weak lingering spicyness and a light sweetness throughout

M: light and airy though as it warms, it leans towards medium bodied.

O: First impressions is it is a malty ale , very sessionable with a light hoppines. Not something I would go out of my way to get but a drinkable pint with low complexity.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I think this is an incredibly underrated beer. Now, in my experience, it does have a somewhat subtle flavor that doesn't always come out. But when it does, it's amazingly toasty and scrumptious, sort of like some sort of pastry. It's hard to describe; it's unique.

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

Had on tap, 3/24/2016. Malty but not really in a good way. I would rather drink a PBR, High Life, Miller Light, or basically anything else. Trying to be fair, not sure if it is the style or just my taste in beer but totally nasty. If I was at home would have been a total drain pour.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

appearance- average look...really nice honey brown color, minimal head that faded quick.

smell- surprisingly faint, sweet, honey, flowers, hops

taste- nice carbonation, mild hoppy bitterness, slightly sweet.

drinkablity- easy to drink I think even a very hot day, a lawnmower for devoted hop heads.

This is a good standby if you are out to eat and the restraunt mainly has american macros. Easy to come by down here. But not first choice if I'm in a bar with a 100 beers.

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Had this on tap in Clear Lake on Nasa Road 1 in the bar at the Holiday in near Hwy 3.

not much on the aroma at all, hard to pick up anything other than a faint malt.

Taste was smooth, but the finish left a taste faintly reminiscent of french fries for some reason. I originally got it for my wife because I was drinking. St. Arnold's Amber Ale. She didn't like her Fat Tire so I swapped glasses with her. After 2-3 drinks of the Fat Tire I gave it to a buddy who ended up finishing it off.

Mouth feel was as expected. Finish was short but as described above.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: copper, clear amber color, not much of a head, fairly flat.

S: no strong scent, a hint of sweetness, caramel some faint hops.

T: smooth malty caramel flavor, not bitter a bit sweet but not over the top sweet, well balanced.

M: crisp, easy to drink, smooth

Overall: I enjoy this beer and am always bummed when I run out as it is not distributed in our area and I have to wait until I go or I know someone going to Georgia. It is an easy drinking beer that is not overwhelming or filling, pairs well with many foods. It is one of the sweeter beers I enjoy on a regular basis though the sweetness it not overly done.

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

The beer pours a dark-ish amber color into the glass with only about a finger or so of head at the top which dissipated quickly.

The only smell that really stands out is a nice sweet malt aroma.

Mouthfeel is alright, and I really enjoy the taste of this. Nice and refreshing maltiness that I liked immediately.

This is an all around tasty beer thats good for putting a few down on a relaxed night. I like malty ales and this is one that goes down smooth and has very little problems with it. It might not be exceptional, but it sure isn't sub par.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Aroma was the first thing that hit me - distinctly Belgian, very pleasing. Color is a light/bright amber. Creamy head that leaves behind some lacing. The taste, while not bad, was a slight let down - The lovely aroma had me expecting some Belgian 'funk' to be present in the flavor, but it was missing. Instead the flavor is sort of typical American Amber. Not bad at all, but not up to expectations either.

Note: I'm in a hotel room without any proper glassware. Drinking out of a "rocks glass".

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a classic Colorado ale, and one that deserves more credit than it gets. In fact, I think it's become fashionable to bash this beer because it's become so iconic. Pours a nice caramel with a creamy egg shell head. Smells of yeasty bread. Taste is well balanced with a nice hint of hops and some sweetness. Very drinkable, hell you could drink it all day and night.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a standby when from the local supermarket with a bad selection.

A- One finger head that lacks retentions and translucent caramel color.
S- I actually love the smell of this beer. It smells floral and earthy at the same time. Hoppy sweetness.
T- Like it smells. I used to think the taste was like peanuts but I now associate that taste with biscuits, well, because thats a much better description. Hops and sweet, not too much of either. Too much of an alcohol taste for such a quenchable beer.
M- Decent- Crisp, well carbonated and slightly sticky
D- I like this beer when I can't get more serious craft beers. I love recommending it to friends who only drink the macro beers. Very sessionable, I find myself drinking one or two more of these than beers with more depth.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Thanks to my wife for picking up a sixer while in Denver. We don't get any New Belgium offerings in Michigan. Well, I guess Fat Tire lived up to its hype. It was a bit paler than amber in color, and had a nice roasted chocolate aftertaste. The malt was fine and I really coundn't taste the hops, but their presence was detectable. One thing to note was that the first bottle was mildly carbonated (which I like), and the second bottle was a bit more fizzy (which I don't like).

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

I enjoyed this out of my home Kegerator, drawn on tap at 36* into a frosty mug taken straight from my freezer. It had a beautiful copper color and a three-finger head that made its way onto my upper lip, since I could barely wait to drink it. It was absolutely delicious.

This beer for me strikes a nice balance between the everyday lagers and the heavier ales and craft beers that I enjoy. I love the spices and the drinkability. It is a wonderful Autumn/Winter brew for my Kegerator; it is a substantial enough seasonal offering without being too heavy or over the top.

Many dismiss it as pedestrian, mainstream, or just the gateway to craft beers, but I respectfully disagree. I have a two-tower Kegerator, and it has firmly established a position on one side for the Fall season.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing