Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 1,972 | Ratings: 8,328
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured a golden amber with a medium four-finger head with decent retention and nice lacing. Aromas of hops, bread, malt, cherries, cedar, apples, and sugarcane. Mild flavor with malty undertones and a little bit of pineapple. Disappointingly non-complex. Slightly sweet with a nice smooth mouthfeel. Has a lot of drinkability but lacks complexity.

3.96/5  rDev +10%

For the price, it's an excellent beer. I really don't have any complaints.

Appearance: Dark reddish orange. Looks like I'd expect from a fine amber ale.

Smell: Eh... the smell is kind of hard to detect at first. It smells like warm buttered biscuits... kind of... not a whole lot going for it in the nose section.

Taste: After the smell, I wasn't expecting much, but fortunately, I was completely wrong. This beer is very malt forward with just a hint of hops circling in the background. Just enough to give it that flavor without overpowering the malty earthy sweetness that makes this beer so good.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, not too thin. Nothing ultra impressive here, but definitely a good mouthfeel.

Overall: I'd recommend this for a session beer. It's relatively cheap, has good flavor and goes down smooth. I'd drink it any day.

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Deep amber with a frothy dimpled head
S- Malty bread smell
T- Sour apple, well balanced, sweet a little bit of spicy.
M- Very smooth, first bit seemed a bit flat, probably a poor pour.

I expected a lot coming into this beer and at first sip I was disappointed but it grew on me.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 20 oz mug.

About a half an inch, frothy-white, crystal head. Fairly good lacing.

Aroma was of a very pleasant, soft petal bouquet, almost fruity, and rose-petal-ish like scent.

Polished, crystal clear, fossilized amber in appearance. Cool and pleasantly carbonated. Taste was very faint, but easily drinkable. Spikes at a citrus-y pine in taste at first slowly melting into a drop of butter on moistened toast ahead towards the finish. The hoppy-pine taste lingering longer as the beer warms, and expressing more pale-ish tasting malts.

This was the best looking amber in color I've ever seen. The taste was nice, cool, faint and sessionable. I do agree with another viewer, "not horribly complex". But will definitely enjoy this beer again... possibly at a bbq on a nice humid summer day.

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow... just let me saw WOW! what a uniquely gorgeous beer!

A - sunset burnt orange in color. 1 finger head with heavy density. Nice and cream. Translusent enough to see the perfect amount of carbonation bubbles floating to the top to help keep the consistancy of the head. And B E A U T I F U L lacings! After it sits the fuzzes makes a ring that DOES NOT go away. After each gulp there are rings indicating where the beer was at in the glass and they stay there untill the end of the beer.

S - earthy notes and undertones. very foresty. very roasted.

T - First reaction is that the beer taste like a bonfire. The aromas that emmit from camp fires or char coals was the taste of this beer. very unique and yummy. A must try, to understand first hand the experience of this burnt fire woody beer. almost like bourbon.

M - perfect mouthfeel to make this an almost dangerous beer. medium bodied, with a very clean finish. Did not sit this beer down very long at all.

Overall this is a great beer. One just to be drinking, one for festivities, one for parying, one for good ole times. The name is very misleading of its quality.

3.86/5  rDev +7.2%

This is one of my favorites, it's almost like drinking liquid bread. A nice, yeasty and hoppy taste, it grabs the tongue and does not let go. Perfect pairing with a hamburger, fries, or a salty snack. Shares a lot of taste with Sunshine Pils, a heavy beer that isn't meant to be be chugged or drunk with speed. Take your time, enjoy the beer, let it breath, and take in the flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was "the" beer to be seen with in my neck of the woods last year, although I often wondered if anyone was drinking it. On paper, this is a great beer. In presentation, this is an excellent beer. In truth though, the taste I find sub-par.

The color is amazing, the head pours nice (I poured from a bottle), and there is some really light lacing down the side. However, I find this beer much too earthy tasting for me, and while it is decent, it is defiantly not one that I will try again anytime soon. To me this beer tastes like someone went half and half with a Michelob and a Yuengling Traditional, and I am not really crazy about either. I will admit that the taste does mellow out if you drink several of these, but I find that with most beer too.

Fat Tire is basically like having a friend that is a body builder, and when you get him to help you move you find out that it is all superficial and he sucks at using his muscles in a realistic way--it is a let down. I feel like if they spent more time on the beer rather than the label art and the advertising, this would have been better. I expected more out of New Belgium, because I generally like their beers, but the Fat Tire offering that I had reminded me that not every microbrewery can be Sierra Nevada. Man, I should go and get some Pale Ale to wash this earthworm flavor out of my mouth...

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - poured into pint glass creamy one finger head, with a good lacing left behind. Color is a beautifull copper color that is very clear no cloudiness.

S - Sweet malty hope scent, with a fresh baked Bread Smell to it.

T - very very very smooth. A fruity pine taste with virtually no bitterness. Kind of a biscuity finish.

M - Smooth silky feel with good carbonation. No bitterness and a semi dry finish

O - This is the first beer I have tried or reviewed from New Belgium, and I am enjoying this a lot. I picked up there sampler pack and can't wait to try the other ones. I believe this is a good one to start with if you are new to ales. Pick it up and give it a try for yourself

Enjoy

4.73/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm a big fan of New Belgium, and Fat Tire is probably their best beer. This is the only Amber Ale I drink. Great biscuity taste with a light mouthfeel.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a red/gold amber with a short-lived white head. Aroma is subdued - a bit of malt and slight hoppy acidity. This beer tastes extremely smooth and easy - nothing about it is on the fringe, just smooth simple maltiness with little hop flavor - light and somewhat bready. Slight carbonation, but smoothness helps thicken up the mouthfeel. The aftertaste, like everything else, is slight and short-lived, but not a turnoff. This beer is extremely easy to drink, but I found it to be too simple - just didn't have enough oomph in any way to keep my interest. Well done - but not my style.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

It'd been about eight years since I had my last one of these, so when I was in Albuquerque for a conference I couldn't wait to dive into one. I was reacquainted with this brew via the tap and it was as memory suggested, pleasant and enjoyable; no frills, just malty goodness.
Appearance: from the tap in a frosty mug - yes it was very appealing!
Smell: nice malt
Taste: delightful!
Drinkability: I had several and am a better person for it.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Reviewed: 1/19/09

Fat Tire Ale poured a golden, clear in appearance with a sweet, bisquity aroma. This biscuity tones that I got from the aroma carried over into the flavor. The mouthfeel of this ale was thick and slightly chewy. I could drink this fine brew all day long.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured with a modest head, good lacing. Head did not last long though, only a faint ring throughout the drink.

Yellow, orangish color, good carbonation.

A good, balanced beer. Malt is distinct, slight caramel flavor, finishes with a superb hop taste. Just the right kind for an American Amber. Smooth mouthfeel, very rich but, again, bery balanced.

4.52/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into a New Belgium goblet paired up with a Chipotle burrito.

a - Clear, dark orange with a half inch of head.

s - Pretty strong hops aroma with a bit of caramel.

t - Sweet, malty taste with the hops coming through at the very end.

m - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

d - Very drinkable. Its easy to see why this one is so popular.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance - Amber

Smell - Malty aroma

Taste - Malty with toasted semi-dry flavor

Mouth Feel - Crisp, light, enjoyable

Drinkability - Toasted malt flavor with very little hop bite. Extremely enjoyable beer where the focus is away from hop bitterness - put your feet up and enjoy!

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Fat tire really is an excellent craft beer. It pours a medium amber with some lacing. It's very sweet smelling with a hint of biscuits. The taste starts a honey and begins a citrus hop taste. Average mouthfeel that is medium bodied. It's very drinkable. I'd drink this beer again but i couldn't see drinking it too often as i'd prefer something with a little more body and a little less sweetness.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a clear orange-brown with a large, frothy, light tan head that lasted a good while. Fair lacing. Smell heavy caramel malt and light perfume hops. Can also detect a light alcohol/soy sauce odor and actually something very solvent like. Medium bodied with a creamy texture, soft carbonation, and a bitter finish. A long toasted cereal flavor that is lightly sweet and moderately bitter.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours clear amber color with a small off-white head that quickly disappears. Some lacing is left behind. Aroma is biscuity malts with some hints of fruit. Sweet bready/biscuit flavor along with some hops to balance it out. Medium in body. Good session beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It pours amber with a small white head. Some okay lacings. Not much of a smell to this beer, just some doughy malts. I really enjoy this taste, it's surprisingly toasty and malty for an amber ale. Certainly something different. It's light bodied and has low carbonation, it can pass for a session beer. I'm glad this beer came to the east coast lately, it's tasty and it's nice to have it as an option at a lot of restaurants that have no other craft beers on tap.

3.32/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People have been hating on this beer lately, but I suppose that happens with all craft brews that are marketed well and are, therefore, very successful. Anyway, I live in Mississippi, where New Belgium is unfortunately not sold yet. So, I had to pick it up in Memphis.

I got it in the can, as I am a firm believer that most beers (especially this one) taste better from a can. I don't know if it's the can conditioning, or the lack of sunlight reaching the beer, or the simple fact that it tastes colder, but I love it.

So, the beer itself is, in my opinion, the standard example of an amber ale. It's not as complex as a porter or an IPA, but it's not supposed to be. It's just a good, crisp, drinkable ale, suitable for tailgating at a football game, doing yard work, or just sitting at the house watching T.V. This beer would be my go to and I would keep it stocked if only it were available in my home state (hint hint New Belgium..)

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into pint glass.

Decent looking beer. orangish amber color with a small head. leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

aroma is all caramel malt. wish there was atleast a hint of hops on the nose. not getting much smell with this brew though.

average taste. nothing really sticks out in the taste of this beer to me. bready with some caramel taste. good bitterness to balance the beer out.

mouthfeel is slightly undercarbonated to me. but this is a pretty drinkable beer. nothing about it makes me want to go back for another sip though. not a very exciting beer at all.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into an American style pint glass out of a 12oz bottle. Provides a 1-finger white head which takes a little while to dissipate. There is decent lacing. The color is copper-amber-gold, and clear when held to the light. A little light in color actually I thought.

Smell is rich and malty- the chocolate malts definitely comes through with a lot of toasted biscuit. Hops are tucked away and come through somewhat earthy.

The taste is similar to the smell, with a lingering malty and somewhat phenolic tasting finish.

The feel of this beer is very nice, slightly slick and thick with a lingering chewiness on the palate.

Drinkability is a high, though a little malty in taste and feel compared to some other ambers, like Boont and Alaskan.

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%

Well I came across this beer at my better half's twenty year High School Reunion. One of her "clasmates" - afterall do you call them classmates after twenty years?? brought this in as an auction item to help raise money for the next reunion.

I bid $16 and ended up giving $20 for the Twelve Pack of cans.

Afterall being a Mountain Biker who could resist Fat Tire Amber Ale?

Appearance - kind of dark amber gold.. probably hence the "amber ale" title. DOH in my best Homer Simpson Voice.. I give it a 4.0 which is good.

Smell - hmmm.. its a crisp smell, if that makes any sense. Clean also... most of the Hoppy beers I drink do not impress me, but this.. hmmm I give it a 4.5.

Taste - Exceptional... currently in WV, Yuengling is all the rage.. this blows Yuengling out of the water - and at 5.2%. With the recent passage of the State's Craft Beer Law, I hope I find some places that start aqcuiring this beer.

Mouthfeel - I'm not sure I understand this quality. But holding it in my mouth, it feels crisp. Not like a cold Domestic, but not creamy like a Guinness. I can feel the carbonation. I like it. Good

Drinkability - I'm going with Exceptional, because I'm having a hard time saving two of these for my friends. This is excellent beer. I'm going to have to find more. (note I did save two for my pals)

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A-a nice deep golden amber with a thick foamy head that fades to a decent thick cap and leaves neat little rings as it dissappears.

S-pretty medicore, sweet malts, biscuity, piney hops in the background.

T-Malts up front with a nice biscuity flavor and a mildly bitter hop finish.

M-eh, nothing special. Its light bodied, a little dry but still refreshing. It didnt offer anything exciting or new but it didnt offend either.

D-An easy session beer, its light, doesnt fill you up like other american ambers. I didnt really feel this ale offered any complexity, but perhaps a good beer for a new drinker whos looking to get into craft beers.

Overall a tasty beer, nice and refreshing but still has a nice richness to it, enough so that i may get this beer again.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Crystal clear orange/amber color, nice 1/2" beige/blonde head which dissipates quickly, minimal/spotty lacing.
S: Toast, toasted malts, chocolate, caramel, crème brulee.
T: Malty, chocolaty/mocha, slightly hopped, floral.
M: Light to medium body, light CO2, nice slightly bitter hop finish.
O: I've had this beer many times before and felt it was time to do an official review - as I am new to this and this is now #8 for me. This is a good go-to for me. Great drinkability for any season or occasion and is a pretty solid beer. In the past I have paired it with a sidekick of orange cognac and the two play off each other quite well - it is a great chocolate/orange combo.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing