Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

3.6

Ratings: 8,814 |  Reviews: 2,062
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Picked up a bottle of Fat Tire when I saw that the store carried a large variety of New Belgium Brewing Co.’s beers available in singles. The bottle had a “best before” date of 01-25-04. The beer poured a clear orange/amber color with lots of carbonation rising to a thin ¼” white head. The head had good retention and left some sticky lace down the sides of the glass.
The smell was fruity-sweet. Light caramel malt and aromatic hops were evident. The taste was less sweet than what the smell might indicate but was still enjoyable. Some grainy malt flavor was picked up initially before toffee and nut flavors played across the palate. The finish was modestly bitter and nicely balanced the maltiness from up front. The feel was light and smooth, despite the rather vigorous action of the carbonation, and dry.
I found Fat Tire to be one of the better ambers I’ve had yet. It has a nice malt flavor that is well matched by the hoppy finish. Definitely an amber ale I’d get again.

Pours a golden amber with a frothy white head. Nice and lacy. Smell is fruity and lightly yeasty. Light mown hay aromas.

Tastes fruity and very bready. Some citrusy undertones. Nice crispness in the finish. Really it's all about that bready flavor with the fruitiness from the yeast. A crisp lightly bitter finish. Light and refreshing. Much more substancial than most amber ales. A good session beer and very well done taken for what it is.

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle, standard pint glass

A - somewhat gentle pour yields about half an inch of forthy and fuzzy very light tan colored foam. the beer is crystal clear, gold in color.

S - big bready malt, honey covered biscuits, cinnamon, nutmeg...one of those distinctive beers that has a smell all to itself.

T - following the nose, first with dominating biscuity malts, freshly baked sweet bread sprinkled with powdered sugar, sweet. lightly spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe some pumkin or squash. minimal but present herbal earthy hops for a small kick in the finish.

M - light bodied, almost a little watery. moderate carbonation, finishes crisp and just slightly oily.

D - easy to see how this is appealing to the masses, and a great "intro" to craft classic. strong but friendly flavors...resfreshing, i wouldnt mind drinking this whenever possible, more than most of the BMC swill out there. compliments some freshly baked zucchini bread rather nicely.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a slightly amberish copper with an almost two-fingered head that quickly recedes while leaving a bit of lacing.

aroma is of bready malts, caramel and butter. some slight earthy hops and fruity esters present themselves as well.

caramel covered fruits hit first with some nuts, bread, biscuit, and a touch of floral hops.

light-ish medium with an abundance of carbonation and a lingering sweetness.

I can see how its a gateway. though, I don't think I would have ventured further if this was what I was exposed to. too sweet with not enough complexity. one and done with this beer.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Finger's width of head that quickly recedes. Leaves a thin ring around the surface and spots of lacing clings to the glass with each sip. Color is a clear bright coppery amber.

Smell is mildly sweet. Hints of chocolate, tobacco leaf, and hints of ginger. Taste has a lot of chocolate characteristics that finishes with a mild mineral after taste.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a scrubbing carbonation. This is very drinkable. I suppose I have just overlooked Fat Tire just because it is so available. Won't make that mistake again.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Copper colored ale with a small white head on top, crystal clear, decent lacing, lots of carbonation. Aroma is bready, cracker-like almost, with a hint of herbal, earthy hops. Taste follows suit with the nose. Definite biscuit malt character in this one, slightly sweet in the middle, woody, earthy hops, and a dry finish. Very, very easy to drink, lower end of medium bodied. This is the beer I credit with getting me into craft beers. Still does the trick for me. Nothing special, but tasty indeed.

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Decent beer, especially for the summer. Easy drinker with some flavor.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

This was the beer that did it for me. This was the first non-macro I ever had the privelage of trying at the tender age of ~17. Even though it was the beer that sowed the seeds of my advocacy, I tended to pass it up in favor of shitty beer for several years to follow, except for on special occasions since I didn't know any better at the time (beer is beer before you are old enough to buy it yourself). Eventually the Fat Tire faded into near obscurity after eventually developing an infatuation for wheat beers such as Boulevard or Blue Moon. Recently though, my new roommate this semester noticed that I seem to almost never buy the same beer twice asked me if I had drank Fat Tire, which he drinks like friggin' juice when he has the opportunity to have it (since you can't get it here in Iowa). Now it seems that every time I go back home (just across the river from Nebraska) I have to pick up some of this just on principle, just so I can enjoy a good beverage with my otherwise macro loving roomies.

Alright, now that the reminiscing and all that sentimental bullshit is over with, let's talk about the beer. It pours to a pale amber with a thin film-like white head. Now that my beer horizons have extended this is not really all that impressive looking. It used to seem very unique when I first had something other than a fizzy yellow beer. The smell is VERY biscuity. Not really anything else worth noting in the smell since the biscuit malts are so powerful.

The taste is also dominated by biscuit malts, but there is also a hint of fruitiness in the background. I can't help but agree with my roommates that this tastes more like juice than beer, but it doesn't have enough depth of character for me. Nonetheless, it is a very intriguing beer for a brewery to have as a flagship. I will continue to drink this when it is available to me, but my main priority is to drink the other beers offered by New Belgium that I haven't already had, such as the Tripel, 1554, and seasonals. Hopefully we will get New Belgium in Iowa soon, as I heard we are supposed to have it soon (at least Fat Tire and other more easily accessable brews like Sunshine wheat).

1.91/5  rDev -46.9%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Clear copper with a pillow of rocky tan suds resting on top. Almost no smell, faint roasted malt and caramel. Tastes of light grainy malt, caramel and honey. Light bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkable but pedestrian. A nice beer but, I don't get the hype over it, there are a lot better beers out there.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing