Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Reviews: 2,030 | Ratings: 8,585
Photo of
3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz. bottle

Clear, dark gold/amber color. Medium sized, creamy, ivory colored head.

Mild earthy scent. Caramel. Yeast & bread dough. Hops are AWOL.

Taste has coffee notes, but fairly mild. Overall, more sweet than bitter. Caramel. Not much hops, just a bit at the finish -- grassy/herbal.

Medium + in body. Medium carbonation. Overall, very refreshing.

Very easy to drink. Nice session beer. Not as balanced as I would like an amber to be, even given my hop preference.

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. The label has an old-style red bicycle, leaning against a tree. Listed as best before 01JUN07. I cracked this baby open with a Fat Tire goblet shaped bottle opener a friend gave me just today.

Appearance: Pours with a 1/2 inch almost white head. This settles very slowly into a 1/4 inch coating of dense foam with a ton of lacing. The beer itself is a medium amber and perfectly clear.

Smell: Slightly metallic, bready malt aroma.

Taste: A little toasted/burnt flavor upfront, in a pleasant way. Hops are not as present as I would have expected. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is excellent.

Drinkability: Very nice. A malty beer, just my style. I have heard a lot about New Belgium's flagship beer, so it is nice to finally try it.

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a DFH shaped pint. Dated best by: 13JUL07. Three fingers of off white head lingered on a clear amber body.

Smell was wet hay. Manure (?) in a positive, farmhouse kind of way. Husky grains after it warmed further.

Taste was honey doused biscuits. Sweetness up front turned to a mild bitterness with a relatively short finish.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Body was medium/thin.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

This is a standby when from the local supermarket with a bad selection.

A- One finger head that lacks retentions and translucent caramel color.
S- I actually love the smell of this beer. It smells floral and earthy at the same time. Hoppy sweetness.
T- Like it smells. I used to think the taste was like peanuts but I now associate that taste with biscuits, well, because thats a much better description. Hops and sweet, not too much of either. Too much of an alcohol taste for such a quenchable beer.
M- Decent- Crisp, well carbonated and slightly sticky
D- I like this beer when I can't get more serious craft beers. I love recommending it to friends who only drink the macro beers. Very sessionable, I find myself drinking one or two more of these than beers with more depth.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

Deeo golden color with a nice two finger head that quickly goes away but the lacing goes on forever.
Good crbonation is eveident.
Mouthfeel seems to be very good...full, amost oily in feel.
Good balance between the malt and hops.
Very fruity flavor...no bitterness on the palate

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I did this review of Fat Tire, it had been so long since my previous bottle, I had nearly forgotten just how good this beer is. It pours a light amber w/ ~1/2" of frothy head, maintains decent glass stick throughout the session. Nice aroma of toasty, caramel malts & matching tastes. Very smooth beer that has a bit of richness but is not overly thick. A real easy drinking beer that goes down way too easy. This was the first New Belgium brew that made its way to Nebraska, and my life is better for it.

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%

Average amber appearance, light head that fades quickly. Rich smells of sweet malts, similarly to the taste. Taste is delicious: smooth and sugary (but not overly so), with a slight taste of citrus at the end. It's quite smooth, lightly carbonated, feels great to drink. Light enough to have many, but heavy enough to not taste watered down.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

This is your starter brew, folks. If anyone is resistant to craft brews, this is definately a step in the right direction. The taste is a bit weak and the appearance is that of a macro, but that is what you need. Smells very good, some quailty malt and very slight hint of sugar and hops. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy like hot cocoa. Very drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this beer while in California at the Yard House as well as at Riptide in Mission Viejo. I really enjoyed how smooth and light it was. I am extremely disappointed that it is not available anywhere near I live. It is definitely a beer that I would seesion with.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

I remember having this in Colorado several years back, and I can't get it in Florida, so upon figuring out that I could actually mail order beer, I ordered some stuff. Among that stuff was a couple bottles of Fat Tire.

Appearance - Pale amber, formative head, not much lacing.

Smell is pretty distinct for a lower alcohol amber ale. A spicy citric aroma, kind of like an orange spice tea.

Taste....oh yeah, I remember this. I was sitting at a bar in Boulder and had this with a cheeseburger, and thought it a distinctive taste. Kind of *tastes* like the air inside of a fat bike tire, if that makes any sense....and I actually don't mean that as a negative. Kind of a pleasurable chocolate and rubber mustiness, yes, it's all coming back to me. Rather unconventional...weird....but it works. Moderately alcoholic in the finish...I can actually taste some alcohol, which I also find odd for a 5.6% brew. Pairs well with grilled foods, salads, pretty much anything.

Mouthfeel is just right for this style.

Well, this is an oddball beer. This isn't going to be everyone's bag, but among its adherents (and I suppose I can count myself as one), this is very drinkable, and a nice session beer.

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

One of the first beers i enjoyed in america, in bottle or tap, always a good fall back beer! ...The rich smell is what i noticed first, then the pour. Nice and quite ruby-tanned . Good taste and good after taste, quite an enjoyable brew, and the price, not bad at all for 2 bucks a big bottle!..very nice bitters too...I also like the fact that alot of bars that serve only BMC products will usually have this too !

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fat tire was the first "micro" i remember trying. Pours a beautiful copper color with a nice white head that settles quickly, leaving some foam on the surface. Smells of malt and yeast, maybe some kind of pear or apple. Tastes of malt, maybe some citrus. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Very easy to have a few of....

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Pours brownish-amber (duh!) with a thick foamy white head. Nice.

S: Matly sweetness, a lot of apples with a slightly bready undertone.

T: Like smooth apple cider, a hint of citrus in the finish. Finishes clean and slightly sweet.

M: Thin, lightly carbonated.

D: Good beer, a nice dinner drink or just something to relax with.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle to pint glass.

fat tire pours a bright orange body with (macro) yellow highlights and a thick, quickly sinking, pearly head, leaving wonderful lace down the glass. nose is yeasty of the belgian sort with bready malts and slight, spicy hops. the taste is much bolder than the smell, exhibiting a rich, roasted quality and slight frutiness. it is also quite nutty and somewhat bitter in the finish. mouthfeel is good, low carbonation and not overly thick, but for some reason, it sticks a bit in the back of the throat...
overall, not bad, but decidedly not what i'm looking for.

2.61/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Has this beer changed that much or is it just me? I don't remember it being anything exciting or interesting. I remember a light beer with some balance from caramel malt. Now it is somehow less. I used to be able to drink it, now there is no point.

The last glass of this I had was light and overly citric, grapefruits and lemons. Beyond that it didn't taste like much of anything. Dried out a bit on the finish.

Light in body, not very good, a bit sad. I guess I'll have to try this one more time, but not unless I get it free.

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

Was excited to find this on tap at a pub in LA.. it seems it was a popular beer everywhere out there, even though it's from Colorado I think.

Regardless, I wasn't terribly impressed. There wasn't much to smell, and even less to taste. I kept taking sips looking for any soft of flavor, but kept coming up short. It was definitely a red ale, but a very mild one at that. Low in carbonation as well. Not much to report on this beer I'm afraid, and I even had another just to make sure - yet had the same experience. Great in color I must say, but lacking in all other areas. Not worth trying.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Bought this Beer today at a corner Liquorstore in North Hollywood. I have never seen it before, so I thought I would give a try. Bottle looks fancy and from what I read it is a good buy for the most part. Here's what I thought:

A - Brownish orange color. About 1/4" head that vanishes quickly.

S - Rich citrusy smell, typical Amber Ale.

T - Strong, distinguishable flavor. Almost chocolatey. Aftertaste lingers for about 1 minute. Not a potent aftertaste, pleasently skunky at first. Overall Rich tasting beer, mild hoppy flavor. (makes me happy).

M - Good for summer days. Not the best with some foods (i.e. picnic salads, fish), but pretty good for burgers and BBQ's.

D - Very drinkable. Aftertaste does not ruin the overall Quality.

Overall a good beer. Refreshing yet full bodied.
Cons - First sip a little "too" potent, but by half the beer I was acquianted.
Pros - Easy drinking, smells great. Presentation overall attractive.
Rating - Great Quality (A-)

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours to a decent white head that persists and leaves considerable lacing. Orange-amber color and brilliant clarity. Aroma is malty, slightly toasty and fruity. Flavor is a blend of toasted, nutty malt, sweet pale malt and mild hop flavor and balancing bitterness. The flavor does have some alcohol sweetness, fruit and "Belgian twang" (for lack of a better description). Finishes toasty and slightly bittersweet.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Traxx, the bar in the Union train station in LA.

A nice clear amber color with a loose, fluffy white head, that is transiently regeneratable throughout the drink. Faint whiffs of pale and crystal malts are apparent, giving off a nice caramel nose. The taste is pretty sharp with the carbonation but has a nice subtle sweetness to it, with a mild ending that isn't too astringent. Mouthfeel is light and sharp initially with the high carbonation but smooths out towards the end, giving it a pretty good drinkability. Won't be the most exciting beer ever, but within the context of an amber ale, it is quite solid.
___

5/15/09

Had at Philippe's on tap in Los Angeles. Was sweeter than I remember it. Very biscuit and honey-like.

4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

if it weren't for how overpriced this is, i would almost say that this is my new session beer of choice. however, i find that 9 times out of 10 this is to expensive. maybe if it was closer to $7 for a six rather than $9-10.

a lighter bodied ale that has mild hoppiness and has a very nice malt complexity to it.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a classic Colorado ale, and one that deserves more credit than it gets. In fact, I think it's become fashionable to bash this beer because it's become so iconic. Pours a nice caramel with a creamy egg shell head. Smells of yeasty bread. Taste is well balanced with a nice hint of hops and some sweetness. Very drinkable, hell you could drink it all day and night.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance - Poured a very light amber colored liquor. About 1 fingers worth of frothy head. Disappeared very quickly. Lacing was excellent.

Smell - Most of aroma was yeasty and malty. The hopes were not very present in the nose.

Taste - Taste was dominated by yeasty flavors.

Mouthfeel - This beer had an excellent mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - I think this beer was very drinkable. Definitely a session beer. I had about 3 of these from bottles.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing