Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

3.6
30%

Reviews: 1,992 | Ratings: 8,401
2.88/5  rDev -20%

Pours a slightly dark amber, topped by a thin white head. Aroma consists of a hint of malt and not much else. Flavor has a hint of malt sweetness and finishes dry. Bitterness is subdued. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and the beer seems very astringent. Almost leaves a woody aftertaste as well. I've tried this beer 3 times at 3 different locations in the last month, and every time, one is more than enough. Not a bad beer, just not anything memorable either. I'd recommend a Breckenridge Amber instead.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Looking at my review from this beer on tap, it is much better from the bottle.

It has great head, easy to create and thick. Nice retention.
Smell is inticing. Very biscuity.
Taste is balanced. Malts are very smooth and easy on the palate.
Clings to the mouth decently.
Easily a sessionable beer. An amber ale to relax with.

You have to give fat tire a try. At $13 dollars a 12 pack it's a great great pickup.

This is sort of a no frills amber ale. It's a kick back brew. I take it for what it is. I rate it that way as well.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottle pored into a mug. this pores a clear copperish color. nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

i'm just getting over a cold so it's a little hard to catch all the aroma. this smells like a freshly baked batch of cookies. chocolatey, biscuity, doughy, bready, and some earthly hops.

taste is just about the same as the smell.

full bodied and slightly thick.

great beer. easily drinkable and something that won't hurt the macro crowd as well.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Brown in appearance. Very nice head. This is a great october beer even in Texas when it's 85 degrees. I personally like this beer served a lot colder than recommended. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm cooking on the grill and watching my Cowboys lose.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Presentation: 22oz bomber, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Orangish amber on the lighter side. Pale, almost white head with a thin lace.

Aroma: light malt dominates with a slightly fruity background.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The slight fruitiness in the aroma is even less apparent in the taste, but the malt is moreso. Biscuity and toasty, especially in the finish. Balanced well by the hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat light and very smooth.

Notes: This is a good crossover beer to get others into craft beer. A good session beer, as it's easy to drink. But overall, it's nothing special.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

I had this brew on tap at the Friday's in the Dallas, TX airport. Poured a light orangey amber color. Clean white head dissipating rather quickly. Had some good lacing around the pint glass. Smelled of roast malt with hints of coffee a mild hint of some hop citrus. Had a really surprising taste, smooth roasted almost chocolate malt flavor followed by a nice hop finish. Subtle fruit tones. I enjoyed two pints and almost missed my boarding call because I was enjoying some football and a great tasting beer. There is a very interesting balance of flavors and impressive overall. I would certainly like to try this beer again. Very complex and as it warms has an array of flavors to unfold. Extremely drinkable. Well made and tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

This was served on tap at the DIA. It has a light amber color with a small head, which is well retained and leaves a decent lace. It has a mild smell altogether, but it's mostly malty with a faint trace of hops. The taste is dominated (and I mean dominated) by earthy hops with the malt present, but very much in the background. The finish is strongly hoppy bitterness. It has a medium body with moderately low carbonation.

This is a decent session beer for hopheads I think. It's a bit strong on the hops for my taste, a little too bold for what I look for in an American Amber Ale.

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into nonic glass, amber color, above ave. carbonation, 2 finger, then 1 finger long lasting head w/lacing. Smell was harsh/metallic, earthy hop to the extreme (normally favor this aroma/flavor), not exactly saying drink me. Some sweet malt up front, metallic taste returns, unpleasant hop finish. Some fruitiness as it warmed. (harshly bitter, no detectable flavor otherwise) No unique flavor components of any sort, overall. All over the board, ave drinkability. Very dissapointing, more so if this is allegedly in the Belgian style.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours out very clear with the look of an Iced tea.
Smells like Tadpole water. Mabey a hint of orange yeast. No alcohol is present in the nose.
Damn, this one is hard to describe. Almost taste like 2 day old tea.
It is like you are drinking stinky air.
It is not a nasty aftertaste, in fact it is a nice aftertaste compared to the gross flavor.
I suppose you could session this beer, but with the lack of flavors in the thing it is best to try it and leave it.

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

Pour: draught to pint glass. Amber bodied beer with a half inch of head that likes to hang out, slowly letting its thick body dissipate into some nice lacings. No bubbles coming up through the beer.

Nose: Cardboard, peanuts, soy sauce, some light hop undertones, waxy. Boring and un-beer like.

Mouth: Chili pepper taste, Play-Dough, slightly sour, nutty, and a strange after taste like jarred jalapeños. The mouthfeel is good, but obviously does not improve the flavor!

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Light copper color with thin/slightly creamy head
S- Toasted biscuity smell with hint of citrus/grass hops
T- Definite biscuit taste but also some flower/wheat taste as well
M- Medium bodied nice aftertaste
D- Easy to drink and seems to work well in warm as well as cold environments

Fat Tire is one of my favorites. I've been drinking this since it first came out when we lived in Ft Collins. It has slowly moved East in its distribution and has finally appeared in Chicago but alas we are moving to Atlanta. I hope it is available there sometime soon. The flavor and body just feel right to me. It has a medium body with a slight red tint and a nice slightly creamy head. There is enough hop flavor to cut through and let you know they are there. Easy to drink and equally good on a warm summer day or a cool fall evening.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

a - amber color, pretty clear, big white head with little retention and good lacing

s - not a strong aroma, a little bready maltiness

t - pretty smooth tasting, quite malty, not much bitterness evident, actually tastes a lot like a macro to me, fairly uninteresting

m - ample carbonation, light-bodied

d - would be a good session beer, but the taste just doesn't interest me enough to keep on drinking it

I was a little disappointed with this one. Tasted a lot like a macro lager such as Budweiser to me. Could use a bit more hoppiness to take it up a level as the taste was pretty one-dimensional and that one dimension was not anything special. If price was equal, I would choose this over a macro, but otherwise, I'll probably pass.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fat Tire Amber Ale pours a light amber color with a thick, fluffy white head. Aroma is biscuity, but not exactly what I was expecting. I kept thinking that I smelled carob. This carob like flavor was also in the taste. Otherwise, the flavor of the beer was dominated by biscuity flavors. Not really what I expect in an amber ale, but decent. Worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Got this via trade with Csims. Definitely a treat to have way out here in NH. I've had it a couple of years ago in Texas on tap and this definitely brought back good memories.

A - Wonderful amber color, nice off white head that dissipates quickly.
S - Caramel and toasted malt and biscuit.
T - Not much of a caramel taste, toasted biscuit flavor and nice light malt sweetness with enough hops to keep it balanced but not far into the hops side of a brew. Bitter it is not.
M - almost medium bodied. very crisp and clean going down.
D - From experience, a very drinkable brew that goes great with a variety of foods. Last night's drink was with a steak salad, prior TX sessions were with lot's of great tex-mex barbecue.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bomber. This poured a crisp and clear golden orange color with lots of fizzy carb bubbles moving on up to form a HUGE fluffy off white head. Great lacing. The aroma was incredibly bread land biscuit like with lots of malt. The hop aroma was light. The taste is really quite sweet and malty. The doughiness is nice but this is perhaps a tad too sweet. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth and tingly. This is a very nice brew to chill out with. It could be a bit more balanced with a tad more hops. This could be a nice session beer, i just wish it was not quite as sweet. Thanks go to my brother for getting me this.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Its crystal clear and a light copper color. It has a nice off white head that laces well.

S - A bready cardboard aroma starts off this beast. It blends witha fruity, spicy caramel, mix. And maybe some corn muffin aroma.... I know but that is the closest thing I can think of.

T - The taste is Malty, toasty, nutty, bready and not too many more words with a "y" on the end. Maybe some of that classic belgian yeast compund that give the yeast aroma.

M - Light, almost thin, and has that sharp carbination feel at first. Leaves the mouth woth nothing afterwards. Doesnt dry out and not real bitter.

D - Very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

received this bonus bottle in a recent trade with nlmartin. thanks nate!

pours a pale amber colour with a quarter inch of fairly dense head. the head quickly drops to a thin layer on the surface and a ring of lace around the glass.

aroma is nice. bready and nutty malt. kind of smells like rye bread. just a hint of dried fruit, like dates or prunes.

taste is interesting. bready and biscuity malt. toasty. definite toasted rye bread flavour. no trace of hop flavour or bitterness. kind of peppery spice to it too. it's strange, but i get a distinct flavour of milkbone out of it. i haven't tasted one since i was a kid, but i definitely get that character.

mouthfeel is good. it feels kind of big with moderate carbonation.

drinkability is pretty good, but i'm thrown off by the milkbone character. i'll have to try another one of these sometime to see if it's an odd bottle or not.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a modest white head that hangs around for a while and leaves some splashes of lace

Smell: Beguiling aroma of toffee, perhaps a touch of candi sugar and a floral quality

Taste: Starts out with a biscuity taste that, after the swallow, is joined by more caramel malt; a slight balancing effect from the hops but this is primarily a malty beer; odd aftertaste that is slightly tart

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Easy to drink but I'll put this in the Shiner Bock category as being hyped beyond its quality; nevertheless, I would drink this over Shiner Bock any day

Thanks, oxymoron, for the opportunity

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Container Volume: 650ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: Sullivan's (Harvard)

Cost: ~$2.50

Head: 1/8th "

Lace: decent

Color:
Reflected- yellow
Transmitted- deep red tones

Aroma: biscuits and fruit

Mouthfeel: light to med

Palate: adjusts well

Taste:
Start- crips not sharp
Middle- apple
Finish-

Comments: It actually does have a rich buttery biscuit taste.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y

4.38/5  rDev +21.7%

A great session beer...Nice color, not too sweet, and not too strong. I kinda wish the hops flavors and aromas were a little more pronounced, but very good overall. I'll take this any day over any macro-brewed swill. Budweiser be damned, I'll take Fat Tire!!!

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to Solomon420 for the chance to try this one.

A: Pours a see through amber copperish color with not much head. No retention. Nice lace.
S: Wheaty malt notes with a slight background of caramel sweetness. Floral armoas are detected also.
T/M: Interesting. Very smooth and easily drinkable. Caramel malt notes with a slight floral hop presence. Light body, but there is a slight butteryness to it. Slides through the mouth finishing dry and leaving a wheatyness on the back of the tongue. Not much going on in this one--somethings there, but its just not screaming.
D: Pretty drinkable. I can see this being a good session beer. Unfortunatley it's not a regular east of the Great River.

1.92/5  rDev -46.7%

Bottle says best before 29 Sept 06. It's exactly a month before that date, and I'm now wondering if it's too late, or if I just have a bad bottle.

I've had Fat Tire before, both bottled and on tap, and this is NOT what I remember. Even served some from a different bottle at a tasting I hosted just a few days ago and enjoyed it much more.

The beer is beautifully amber, deep in color with a pleasant effervescence. But when I raised the glass to my nose I was repulsed by the odor of – sorry to be crass – vomit.

After backing away from the glass and letting it sit a spell, I came back to give it another whiff, and the unpleasant smell had given way to something a bit more tolerable, though for the life of me, I can’t put a name to it. Maybe molasses, a little caramel, a bit like a biscuit. But there’s still something skanky lurking under there.

I hate to waste beer, I really do, so before giving up on this one without tasting it, I grabbed some saltines to clear my palate and hoped for the best.

I take a sip and again, I’m baffled. I just don’t remember this beer tasting this way. It’s not awful – it’s just not great. While the mouthfeel is actually nice enough, the taste is just off.

I don’t know what else to say. Drinkable on tap, but the bottles seem to lack consistency in quality.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer has some sentimental value to me because it was my first New Belgium brew. New Belgium introduced me to the wonderful world of Belgian beer culture as well as the rapidly-expanding American microbrewing industry. Cheers to the NB. Anyway. This beer, while not their best, is a reliable one. I had my most recent one in a New Belgian snifter.

A- nice amber opacity. Some extra bubbles which linger on the edges of the glass, although not a big head.

S- malty hoppiness, molasses, maple syrup, chocolate, cough medicine.

T- very flavorful, lots of chocolaty maltiness, hoppy finish, but very smooth taste, not a hint of bitterness, but also not a sweet beer.

M- carbonated, almost nitro, silky, nice amount of faint hops lingering on the palate.

D- Very easy to drink, refreshing, goes down nice.

Thank goodness they finally started distributing to Southern California.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

This is one fine beer. I'd heard so much hype about it that I was hesitant to even waste my time. My duh.

Pours a nice-looking orange-gold, with a huge frothy foamy head of miniscule bubbles. Even the foam tastes great. The foam gradually dissipated into separate but still foamy islands.

Taste-- very nice, malty up-front, little carbonation annoyance, nice bouquet, hint of hops but not very bitter. A nice bouquet of flavors that are subtle, not overdone. It's more of an ale than amber, nearly bordering on ale with some amber to it.

It's not overly filling or bloating, so this would be a great one for session. I missed my chance to try it on-tap while traveling throughout the northwest USA (or at least I've forgotten if I had any), but I will be sure to grab this at the next available tap I see.

Definitely "way up there" on my list of more or less traditional US beers that are actually worthwhile.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing