Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,000 | Ratings: 8,439
3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

Bought this on a recent trip to Omaha, heard so many good things about it that I thought I would give it a shot, 12 oz bottle, best before 15DEC06 and marked 20188 066128 1102, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear light copper with a 1 ½ inch sand colored cloud like head that collapses down after several minutes, laces like Swiss cheese

S—sweet and sour, more sour than anything, some bread tones, not to my liking, actually, a little dirt aroma as well

T—sweet, buttery, biscuit, some fruitiness, very strong flavor, finishes on the dry side

M—smooth, medium/light bodied, good carbonation

D—glad I tried it, but not something I would have on a regular basis. I really don’t like the smell.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

About twelve years ago, I met Fat Tire, and I haven't been the same since.

The appearance is a strikingly transparent amber, and the head's retention is fabulous. As for the smell, imagine walking past the best bakery you can imagine, and they're making up a batch of cinnamon scones. The taste is great too, and absolutely unique in the sea of the 27 trillion other micro-ambers I've consumed in the past twelve years. That having been said, I can see how some could find the "biscuity" character a little overbearing

The moutheel is crisp, yet substantial on the palate, with a numbing afterglow that makes me think of novocaine. The drinkability is second to none, and I'm convinced that a negative review of this beer finds it's roots in a determination to deride it. If nothing else, the simple fact that this beer has brought such an incredible number of folks over from the dark side should earn this beer a lifetime acheivement award.

Also, I had the pleasure of visiting the brewery when I was in the Denver area for my recent birthday, and I couldn't recommend the tour more highly. Their business practices, and their success are as inspiring as their beer. You must go to Fort Collins. While you're they're, check out Coopersmith's Brewpub.

It warms well too. In fact, it's warming me as I type. How's my speling?

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

2006 vintage. Served in a pub glass.

Pours a dark amber with large white head that last throughout drinking. Moderate amount of lacing. Large amount of tight carbonation.

Smells very yeasty/bready. Moderate citrus hop smell with vague cinnamon and ginger.

Initially, there is a slight sweet maltiness that progresses into a dry hop citrus finish. There is a slight peppery taste to the finish. The flavors are kind of muddy; not very distinct in the presentation. The bready/yeasty flavors seem to dominate.

Light plus bodied, properly carbonated. Not watery. At times, slightly too astringent in the middle and the finish. I noticed this much more with the bomber vs the 12 ounce bottles. I don't know why, but that's what I found. I almost didn't drink the 6 pack for the bomber.

Easy to drink. Sessionable. Uncomplicated beer. I was somewhat disappointed in the taste since I've been wanting a fat tire on reputation for almost 2 years now.

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

Had this on tap tonight at a pizza joint here in Austin.

I am normally a huge craft beer fan, but this one just doesn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, not a bad brew, but the overwheling earthy flavor of this beer, especially early on, just doesn't quite do it. That said, I have tasted worse beers out there, but I probably won't be drinking this brew again.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a nice amber color with a nice head. Smells of sweet malt a floral hops and sort of a wierd smell I can't place, kind of like my dog smells. Taste is good. Nice malt pressence as well as some fruit, also a little hops. Mouthfeel is fine and this is pretty drinkable. Pretty solid brew.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a reddish/orange color with a medium creamy white head. Head dissipates quickly leaving a collar of foam. Lots of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma of sweet fruit and malt.

Taste is of sweet malts, some spiceyness and light hops.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and lightly cleansing. Not much going on. Was expecting more with the carbonation level.

Overall, it is farely drinkable but not one I would go out of my way to have again. Lacks depth and character.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz brown bottle

Fat Tire Amber Ale was a clear amber color with an off-white head. The head had good retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was sweet crystal malt and a little toasty. The taste was malty and sweet upfront with a more balanced finish. The body was medium with medium carbonation. Drinkability was good. Overall it's a good beer and would make a good session beer.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer pours dark amber red color with a light head that retains well. It smells like malted fruit with a sweet grain sent. The taste is malty and sweet with a little bit of an after taste. It has a light crisp feel with a smooth quality that makes it easy to drink. In all I would say this is a very easy to drink amber. For those who are new to the world of good beer this is an easy cross over. It’s a good beer but it is easy to drink for those who are not used to flavors in their beer.

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Pours a slightly dark amber, topped by a thin white head. Aroma consists of a hint of malt and not much else. Flavor has a hint of malt sweetness and finishes dry. Bitterness is subdued. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and the beer seems very astringent. Almost leaves a woody aftertaste as well. I've tried this beer 3 times at 3 different locations in the last month, and every time, one is more than enough. Not a bad beer, just not anything memorable either. I'd recommend a Breckenridge Amber instead.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Looking at my review from this beer on tap, it is much better from the bottle.

It has great head, easy to create and thick. Nice retention.
Smell is inticing. Very biscuity.
Taste is balanced. Malts are very smooth and easy on the palate.
Clings to the mouth decently.
Easily a sessionable beer. An amber ale to relax with.

You have to give fat tire a try. At $13 dollars a 12 pack it's a great great pickup.

This is sort of a no frills amber ale. It's a kick back brew. I take it for what it is. I rate it that way as well.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottle pored into a mug. this pores a clear copperish color. nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

i'm just getting over a cold so it's a little hard to catch all the aroma. this smells like a freshly baked batch of cookies. chocolatey, biscuity, doughy, bready, and some earthly hops.

taste is just about the same as the smell.

full bodied and slightly thick.

great beer. easily drinkable and something that won't hurt the macro crowd as well.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Brown in appearance. Very nice head. This is a great october beer even in Texas when it's 85 degrees. I personally like this beer served a lot colder than recommended. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm cooking on the grill and watching my Cowboys lose.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Presentation: 22oz bomber, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Orangish amber on the lighter side. Pale, almost white head with a thin lace.

Aroma: light malt dominates with a slightly fruity background.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The slight fruitiness in the aroma is even less apparent in the taste, but the malt is moreso. Biscuity and toasty, especially in the finish. Balanced well by the hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat light and very smooth.

Notes: This is a good crossover beer to get others into craft beer. A good session beer, as it's easy to drink. But overall, it's nothing special.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

I had this brew on tap at the Friday's in the Dallas, TX airport. Poured a light orangey amber color. Clean white head dissipating rather quickly. Had some good lacing around the pint glass. Smelled of roast malt with hints of coffee a mild hint of some hop citrus. Had a really surprising taste, smooth roasted almost chocolate malt flavor followed by a nice hop finish. Subtle fruit tones. I enjoyed two pints and almost missed my boarding call because I was enjoying some football and a great tasting beer. There is a very interesting balance of flavors and impressive overall. I would certainly like to try this beer again. Very complex and as it warms has an array of flavors to unfold. Extremely drinkable. Well made and tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

This was served on tap at the DIA. It has a light amber color with a small head, which is well retained and leaves a decent lace. It has a mild smell altogether, but it's mostly malty with a faint trace of hops. The taste is dominated (and I mean dominated) by earthy hops with the malt present, but very much in the background. The finish is strongly hoppy bitterness. It has a medium body with moderately low carbonation.

This is a decent session beer for hopheads I think. It's a bit strong on the hops for my taste, a little too bold for what I look for in an American Amber Ale.

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into nonic glass, amber color, above ave. carbonation, 2 finger, then 1 finger long lasting head w/lacing. Smell was harsh/metallic, earthy hop to the extreme (normally favor this aroma/flavor), not exactly saying drink me. Some sweet malt up front, metallic taste returns, unpleasant hop finish. Some fruitiness as it warmed. (harshly bitter, no detectable flavor otherwise) No unique flavor components of any sort, overall. All over the board, ave drinkability. Very dissapointing, more so if this is allegedly in the Belgian style.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours out very clear with the look of an Iced tea.
Smells like Tadpole water. Mabey a hint of orange yeast. No alcohol is present in the nose.
Damn, this one is hard to describe. Almost taste like 2 day old tea.
It is like you are drinking stinky air.
It is not a nasty aftertaste, in fact it is a nice aftertaste compared to the gross flavor.
I suppose you could session this beer, but with the lack of flavors in the thing it is best to try it and leave it.

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

Pour: draught to pint glass. Amber bodied beer with a half inch of head that likes to hang out, slowly letting its thick body dissipate into some nice lacings. No bubbles coming up through the beer.

Nose: Cardboard, peanuts, soy sauce, some light hop undertones, waxy. Boring and un-beer like.

Mouth: Chili pepper taste, Play-Dough, slightly sour, nutty, and a strange after taste like jarred jalapeños. The mouthfeel is good, but obviously does not improve the flavor!

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Light copper color with thin/slightly creamy head
S- Toasted biscuity smell with hint of citrus/grass hops
T- Definite biscuit taste but also some flower/wheat taste as well
M- Medium bodied nice aftertaste
D- Easy to drink and seems to work well in warm as well as cold environments

Fat Tire is one of my favorites. I've been drinking this since it first came out when we lived in Ft Collins. It has slowly moved East in its distribution and has finally appeared in Chicago but alas we are moving to Atlanta. I hope it is available there sometime soon. The flavor and body just feel right to me. It has a medium body with a slight red tint and a nice slightly creamy head. There is enough hop flavor to cut through and let you know they are there. Easy to drink and equally good on a warm summer day or a cool fall evening.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

a - amber color, pretty clear, big white head with little retention and good lacing

s - not a strong aroma, a little bready maltiness

t - pretty smooth tasting, quite malty, not much bitterness evident, actually tastes a lot like a macro to me, fairly uninteresting

m - ample carbonation, light-bodied

d - would be a good session beer, but the taste just doesn't interest me enough to keep on drinking it

I was a little disappointed with this one. Tasted a lot like a macro lager such as Budweiser to me. Could use a bit more hoppiness to take it up a level as the taste was pretty one-dimensional and that one dimension was not anything special. If price was equal, I would choose this over a macro, but otherwise, I'll probably pass.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fat Tire Amber Ale pours a light amber color with a thick, fluffy white head. Aroma is biscuity, but not exactly what I was expecting. I kept thinking that I smelled carob. This carob like flavor was also in the taste. Otherwise, the flavor of the beer was dominated by biscuity flavors. Not really what I expect in an amber ale, but decent. Worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Got this via trade with Csims. Definitely a treat to have way out here in NH. I've had it a couple of years ago in Texas on tap and this definitely brought back good memories.

A - Wonderful amber color, nice off white head that dissipates quickly.
S - Caramel and toasted malt and biscuit.
T - Not much of a caramel taste, toasted biscuit flavor and nice light malt sweetness with enough hops to keep it balanced but not far into the hops side of a brew. Bitter it is not.
M - almost medium bodied. very crisp and clean going down.
D - From experience, a very drinkable brew that goes great with a variety of foods. Last night's drink was with a steak salad, prior TX sessions were with lot's of great tex-mex barbecue.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bomber. This poured a crisp and clear golden orange color with lots of fizzy carb bubbles moving on up to form a HUGE fluffy off white head. Great lacing. The aroma was incredibly bread land biscuit like with lots of malt. The hop aroma was light. The taste is really quite sweet and malty. The doughiness is nice but this is perhaps a tad too sweet. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth and tingly. This is a very nice brew to chill out with. It could be a bit more balanced with a tad more hops. This could be a nice session beer, i just wish it was not quite as sweet. Thanks go to my brother for getting me this.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Its crystal clear and a light copper color. It has a nice off white head that laces well.

S - A bready cardboard aroma starts off this beast. It blends witha fruity, spicy caramel, mix. And maybe some corn muffin aroma.... I know but that is the closest thing I can think of.

T - The taste is Malty, toasty, nutty, bready and not too many more words with a "y" on the end. Maybe some of that classic belgian yeast compund that give the yeast aroma.

M - Light, almost thin, and has that sharp carbination feel at first. Leaves the mouth woth nothing afterwards. Doesnt dry out and not real bitter.

D - Very drinkable.