Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 can:

Appearance: Pours amber with a 1 fingerish off-white head that leaves for the most part after a few minutes.

Smell: Kinda smells like a moldy basement with some brown sugar sweetness. There's also some faint hops and malt in there. Trying to be nice about this, but up front there's some kind of off putting odor reminiscent of mold, weird. I'm also getting some salt? Sorry, but this is one of the most bizarre, off-putting smell-wise beers I've ever had(and I've had Ta Henkett...).

Taste: Beginning hop bitterness fades into a semi-sweet, malty ending. Nothing too fancy, but not bad. One thing I really like about this beer is how the aftertaste rolls off of your tongue. That said, you could call it a crisp finish that ends clean, with the palate reset and ready for more(or, perhaps another brew). A palate wrecker, it is not.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with not much carbonation. It's definitely (dare I use the AB term)drinkable.

Overall: I know this beer has a cult following and it's by no means bad. It's just that for me, personally, it kind of has the taste/feel of a lager, not an ale. It's sessionable as hell and I'm sure it's pretty good on tap, but as a beer with dinner type of beer, this just wouldn't be my first choice. It's above average with a good/or lack of? aftertaste. Gotta give em' credit for that.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

Being a new beer drinker and only accustomed to such attrocities as Budweiser and Coors Lite, I was ready to embark on an adventure to find out what a real beer was. Many of my long time beer drinking friends and several websites recommended Fat Tire Amber Ale. Boy, was I glad they did. It was an eye-opening experience. I definitely recommend Fat Tire for a beginner beer.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%