Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,007 | Ratings: 8,495
3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

This is one I have many times without a review. Last night at a fantasy football draft the commish was proud that he had brought this one in for the guys. To be honest I was as well, since the typical beers offered are BMC.

A: Pours a murky amber brown hue with an average head. Some tinges of spotty lace are noted.

S: Huge malt aromas. Hints tons of biscuit and bread. Hints of caramel and dark fruit.

T: Malt to the max. Very biscuity with hints of caramel malt. Sweet summer fruits and a touch of brown sugar.

M: Medium in body and smooth. I think that may so many love this stuff.

D: I will be honest I drank six, not because I really like it, but it was the best being offered for the night.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

1 finger of foamy whit head that faded fairly quickly.
Light amber color. No visible carbonation Lots of sticky lacing

Musty aroma, grainy, light caramel.

Light malt flavor, not a lot of depth, light roasted flavor that lingers. Not really a hop effect but more of a roasted note.

Effervescent carbonation, light mouth feel.

Not very interesting. Drinkable but not exciting.

I've had this a couple of times and this is the first time I chose to think about it. Just not much there. I think it's a perfect gateway craft beer for folks...

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle courtesy of TJ - thanks man! Frankly, I didn't have high expectations of this one and didn't crack it until I needed some beer to go in a stew. I drank it for a while and added the rest to my dish.

Pours a rich amber with strong red highlights and an off-white head that left some slippery lace as it dropped to a thin film. Fairly standard appearance for the style. Strong toasty aroma, with lots of biscuit and a splash of caramel. Light acidity and maybe a hint of citrus. I prefer my ambers to be hopier than this, but as this is supposed to be Belgian-influenced I'm happy to cut it some slack. Flavour-wise this isn't going to make you stop what you're doing and let out a whoop of joy. It's a decent, easy-drinking beer, but it's a little flat and a little plain. If it were a bike ride it would be going down a country lane with endlessly flat farmland on either side. Pleasant, but without any real point of interest. Toasty biscuit dominates, with a touch of brown sugar in the middle, and that nagging acidity turning up in the finish where I hoped the hops would be. The medium-light mouthfeel makes this drinkable, but again does not mark this out as anything special.

Accessible and without any real defects, but also void of any real interest. The sort of beer that would be a gentle intro for non-craft drinkers, and would probably work well up at the cottage. Hard to believe that the same brewery also makes La Folie.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

My wife loves this ale. Can't really get it any closer than St. Louis ... anyway, this one is from a 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass. Pours a glowing amber color, with a substantial white head. Intricate lacing in the glass. Nose is warm malt, with hints of dough and spices. Palate is on the sweeter side; a good balance of sweet malts and bittering hops. This beer has a candy-like character to it that's nice as well ... like a toffee. Mouthfeel is medium/light, and finishes sweeter than drier. I like Fat Tire ... I can get it at Cardinals games, for one. A very good amber style ale ... a style I'm usually not real keen on.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

Well, I have heard enough about this beer from my Colorado friends, and I was finally able to give it a try. It has a bronzish copper look to it with a large foamy white head. But just from looking at it I could tell the body was going to be weak. It was watery looking. The smell was quite nice with a caramel toastiness. The flavor was all malts, no hops or yeast or anything else. I got a whole lot of toasted biscuit. It was good at first but wore on me quick. Really cloying imo. The biscuit flavor clung to my mouth. The body was really light which enabled me to drink this beer rather quickly. I could see how people who are used to the Bud Light's would get into this. It's light in body with actually some flavor. But it does nothing for me. Still this could possibly be a session beer once I get past the sticky maltiness.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a dark amber with a light head that quickly settles, leaving a thin lacing.

Definite roasted malt/nutty smell, with a bit of caramel and a little fruity undertone, maybe apple. Hops are barely detectable.

Malty and sweet. Nutty, caramel and molasses, and just a tad citrusy. Very well-balanced, hops and alcohol taste aren't really even detectable.Tart, but not bitter.

Light to medium-bodied. Nice creamy feel at first, but then too watery.

Easily drinkable since it's so light. Average ABV and no hops taste would make this a good session beer, but there's little that stands out.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My rushed pour yields an enormous frothing off-white foam-head. As it settles a bit, lacing is already evident. The color is classic red-copper of an American amber. Smells fruity at first, roasted malts and hay come through at second whiff. The taste is more subdued than the smell, a bit of black malt is thrown into the mix of bready and caramel. Some mellow grassy and spicy hops mingle with the mild red fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium or even light, but leaves a coating on the roof of the mouth nonetheless. Carbonation is understated like the flavor.

I am a bit biased against Fat Tire, because I have always thought it was overrated. Obviously not the best of New Belgium's offerings, but I did my best to review it impartially. Not my favorite amber, which isn't my favorite style.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

New Belgium has finally hit Indiana. So, I figured that if the shit was here, I might as well see what the big goddamn fuss is all about. I got the 1554 on Tuesday and was completely unimpressed. Fat Tire has fared a bit better.

Pours more orange than amber from the nice-looking little can. Big ass white head settles into a permanent ring with a good amount of lacing.

The smell is toasted caramel malt. Not the least bit assertive, though.

The flavor is just as mild as the smell. It's got a good toasty flavor to it, but there just isn't enough of that flavor to stick out.

Mouthfeel is too thin, but not terribly so. Carbonation isn't quite what I would call aggressive, but it's at least somewhat assertive.

Drinkablity is above average. I could easily throw a handful of these back in a sitting. This stuff doesn't live up to its cult status. At least it wasn't the letdown that Shiner Bock was. The next time I want an amber ale, I'm grabbing a Bell's.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a very clear, crisp golden color with a 1 finger white head. Quickly fizzed down into a spotty lacing. Notes of citrus, flowers, and orange peel on the nose. Overall, not much of a smell. Light/medium weight to the body. A quick, but very mild hop bite initially then..nothing. This beer doesn't really taste like anything to me. Dry finish with a bit of a malty aftertaste.

This is a pleasant beer I suppose, but it's lacking the flavor to make it stand out among the run of the mill ales. It would make a great session beer, and at 5.2% a 6 pack could probably have you feeling good. Just not my taste, though.

12 oz. bottle

Fat Tire is a beer that I have kept around as a "sharing" beer. Good one to serve to those that aren't beer people yet.

Pours a solid copper with a small white head that leaves quite a bit of lace.
Aroma is not very strong of anything, but you can certainly pick out sweet and grainy notes. Taste is very mild and smooth with mostly a bready middle and semi-dry finish.

I don't think of this as a stand-out beer in anyway, but it is something most people can enjoy.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a good medium aber hue with some darker qualities in the color than expected. Good bubbles and some better lacing than expeceted, along with the light foam retained throughout. The aroma is like Killians, only a peg or two higher. All right taste, but definetly overhyped in the Chicagoland area ever since it became available. Good malt character with a light cleaning effect from the hops. Not lot of hops mind you. Could be a sessionable beer. But I can't drink a "new" beer like this regularly when its so overhyped. A big hang up I know, but I can't help it.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is just a hair better than Amberbock from Michelob.

Seriously. New Belgian brewing Company? You all need to change your name. Belgium is where the BEST of the best beers come from.

The appearance is just like Amberbock, light caramel color, plenty of fermentation.

The smell. what smell? standard beer. just like any BMC I guess. I don't know, I didnt find it worth here to linger much.

Taste - See Amberbock. Watered down Ale. slight caramel flavor, some vague bitterness to balanced.

Mouthfeel - Beer. BMC. whatever.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Fat Tire is a nice approachable Amber Ale. Low in alcohol content, I like to give this beer to my friends who don't like hops. Nice golden brown in color, but very smooth and easy to drink.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A - An almost translucent red. Poured a fair sized pale head, which left some lacing. Simply stated: average.

S - Not much going in this department. I am getting some malts, a bit of nuts and some caramel.

T - A light malty brew that far surpasses the average beer that is widely available. The biscuity malts dominate the flavors while being followed by some sweet crisp notes.

M - Light-Medium bodied with a bit high carbonation for my liking in a red. The brew has an elementary amount of complexity in its progression, but nothing more. Not much horrific here, but nothing really going great.

O - Overall this is just about what I expected, an average beer. There are qualities that make this beyond the normal macro-brewed product, but due to my rather refined palette, I cannot help but notice the many imperfections in this brew.

01.11.10 at Fid's.

A: a nice, clear copper

S: sweet and nutty, like pecans

T: not feeling it right now, because of the high carbonation. Can't tell what it tastes like, but it definitely smells better than it tastes

M: too fizzy

D: it's okay; would prefer to have something else

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a super clear light orange color with a 2 inch off-white head. Smells of biscuit like malts and citrus zest hops. Taste is of water logged biscuits with a muted citrus zest finish. I don't know why this tastes very watery. There is no bitterness on the palate after each sip but there is a slight citrus twang. Mouthfeel is slightly flat which makes for a medium bodied drink. Overall, this is an average amber ale. Fat Tire is probably the most popular New Belgium beer and I wonder if they changed the recipe to suit more mass palates. From what I remember this was way better overall in the past.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

New Belgium Fat Tire Ale: I was at a charity event and my choices were Fat Tire, Corona, Coors Light and Bud.  It did make me realize the Fat Tire is served everywhere, and therefore is no craft brew.  Well, congratulations to New Belgium!  You have made it big.  I think the clever name is a key part of the success of this beer, now let's try the goods!  The body is a deep amber with a good off white head and big malty aroma.  It looks like a craft brew for sure.  The flavor is mostly malt up front, and carries a lot of spice - I get nutmeg and cinnamon, throughout.  Here comes the "flavorings" debate.  OK, I do add lemon to my wheat beers, a big no-no for most of you.  But here I am on the other side of the fence, the spicy flavors are not my cup of tea.  To finish, the ubiquitous Fat Tire is a good beer, and probably begins the craft brew journey for many...

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Fat Tire was served from a 12 oz bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a very attractive shiny and metallic clear amber, and was topped by an ample and resiliant off-white head that left thick and sticky lacing. The nose presented sweet bready malts and a robust, textured grassy-herbal hop bouquet. The taste matched the nose closely, opening up with bready grassy sweet malts with a touch of herbal spice in the transition to a nice orange-tinged crisper and lightly bittered finish...obvious Belgain pale elements.. The body was overly light and fluffy. Fat Tire is an interesting take on the amber style, with nice flavors, but it ends up being overly sweet for my tastes.

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Clear medium tone amber color. Nice 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates quite quickly. Minimal retention, but some decent lacing.

Mild malty notes. Little bit of bready yeastiness. Sweet-tarts. Slight fruity sweetness.

Pretty light in the flavor department. Toasty malts with light caramel sweetness. Citrus fruits. Very mild hop notes. No aftertaste whatsoever.

Light to medium mouthfeel. (Not as thick as I'd like.)

I totally see why this is so popular among the masses. There is nothing in this bottle to offend the pallete. Unfortunately, there is nothing to excite it either.
Would I ever refuse a bottle of this? No.
Would I go out of my way to get it? Not at all.
[Probably my least liked product from New Belgium.]

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

this is another beer that i used to like, but totally ruined by trying a lot of other beers.

-amber obviously, but not much context. you can tell that it is made in huge batches. pretty good lacing though

-smells like tortilla chips...which isnt necessarily bad

-a decent, characteristic nutty taste

-its fine

-ok. again, i ruined this beer for myself which is okay by me

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

This one was brought to my tasting last night. The beer poured a golden color with a thin cover of head over the beer. The nose on this was not good. We came up with old socks in grandma's attic as the description. It was just not good smelling beer. The flavor was full of biscuit malt, with a bready taste. The body was fairly thin and drinkabilit was just average. I could have one, but probably not more than that.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

a - amber color, pretty clear, big white head with little retention and good lacing

s - not a strong aroma, a little bready maltiness

t - pretty smooth tasting, quite malty, not much bitterness evident, actually tastes a lot like a macro to me, fairly uninteresting

m - ample carbonation, light-bodied

d - would be a good session beer, but the taste just doesn't interest me enough to keep on drinking it

I was a little disappointed with this one. Tasted a lot like a macro lager such as Budweiser to me. Could use a bit more hoppiness to take it up a level as the taste was pretty one-dimensional and that one dimension was not anything special. If price was equal, I would choose this over a macro, but otherwise, I'll probably pass.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

This was my first exposure to locally distributed beers. Seems a bit lighter than most ambers, a fair amount of yeast is present. Very bready. Fairly bright tasting with a distinct flavor and relatively nominal smell. but theres much more to beer out here, as big a deal as it is. Still shining bright in the declining red beer market though. Easy drinking and easy to find.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

A - a dark amber color, with about a 1 inch head, that left quite a bit of lacing till the last drink.

S - nothing special slight caramel.

T - taste is balanced, with some notes of sweet honey.

M - mouthfeel was fairly light.

D - a drinkable beer other than being a little pricey on tap.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a clear golden amber, topped with a one finger off-white head, left webs of lacing.
A bit spicy nose, toast and biscuit.
Toasty, a bit of a spicy floral note, bread, with caramel.
Light bodied.
This was one of the beers I was looking forward to on my trip to Denver, I had heard a lot about it, but sadly it was just a little better than average to me.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing