Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Ratings: 8,676 |  Reviews: 2,043
1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

Had on tap, 3/24/2016. Malty but not really in a good way. I would rather drink a PBR, High Life, Miller Light, or basically anything else. Trying to be fair, not sure if it is the style or just my taste in beer but totally nasty. If I was at home would have been a total drain pour.

1.8/5  rDev -50%

1.8/5  rDev -50%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.82/5  rDev -49.4%

This beer is slightly bitter and has very little flavor otherwise. I expected more from this beer, given how much I’ve heard about it and how often I see it around. If you don’t want your beer to interfere with tasting your food, this would be the one for you.
There’s nothing offensive about it. It was really quite disappointingly neutral. An amber ale is supposed to have more flavor I think.

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

I have never enjoyed Fat Tire from a bottle so I tried it recently off a tap. It still does nothing for me. It is just not a good beverage. It smells a little off and funky. It tastes very flat and almost spoiled and leaves a very nasty after taste. I struggled to get a pint down. As the "flagship" beer of an excellent brewery this beer should be avoided; sample the other treats New Belgium has to offer.

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

Before we start, I will say that this beer is much better on tap. But we're reveiwing the bottle here. Pours a pale amber with a decent head. Try not to smell this beer if you can avoid it. Smells like a compost pile. The flavor is just off. Skunky and unpleasant. In the mouth it feels like beer, but you don't really want it in your mouth because it taste so off. Not really drinkable at all. New Belgium makes much better beer than this.

1.88/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Smells sour. Taste sour. Not my style.

1.9/5  rDev -47.2%

1.9/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

1.91/5  rDev -46.9%

1.91/5  rDev -46.9%

A - A huge frothy white head sits on top of a clear copper brew. The hed dissipates in minutes leaving thin rings of lacing at every sip.

S - THIS is the fat tire which I have heard countless rave over? It smells of very stale grain with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg underneath. A touch of dry hay keeps it hopped. Seriously, this smells pretty awful.

T - The taste, though not great is not nearly as unpleasant as the smell. The flavor has a dry light grain, not a hint of sweetness, with an intense carbonated water aftertaste accompanied by some hay and a bit of a cinnamon presence. Not good, but drinkable at least.

M - Thin, extremely highly carbonated - it actually tickles my throat, neither drying nor particularly thirst quenching.

D - Well, I can hold my nose on the sips, so it is just a little unpleasant. Last time I listen to the masses. I'm really sad to have bought a whole six pack of this. I will not have this one again (after the other five bottles) - at least it is nice to look at . . .

1.92/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

1.92/5  rDev -46.7%

Bottle says best before 29 Sept 06. It's exactly a month before that date, and I'm now wondering if it's too late, or if I just have a bad bottle.

I've had Fat Tire before, both bottled and on tap, and this is NOT what I remember. Even served some from a different bottle at a tasting I hosted just a few days ago and enjoyed it much more.

The beer is beautifully amber, deep in color with a pleasant effervescence. But when I raised the glass to my nose I was repulsed by the odor of – sorry to be crass – vomit.

After backing away from the glass and letting it sit a spell, I came back to give it another whiff, and the unpleasant smell had given way to something a bit more tolerable, though for the life of me, I can’t put a name to it. Maybe molasses, a little caramel, a bit like a biscuit. But there’s still something skanky lurking under there.

I hate to waste beer, I really do, so before giving up on this one without tasting it, I grabbed some saltines to clear my palate and hoped for the best.

I take a sip and again, I’m baffled. I just don’t remember this beer tasting this way. It’s not awful – it’s just not great. While the mouthfeel is actually nice enough, the taste is just off.

I don’t know what else to say. Drinkable on tap, but the bottles seem to lack consistency in quality.

1.93/5  rDev -46.4%

This is cheap beer. It tastes like it was massed produced with cheap ingredients and was pretty disappointing for a $5.99 bomber. I'm glad I split it with someone so I only had to drink half. It had decent mouth feel and appearance, but the rest was rather disappointing.

1.97/5  rDev -45.3%

I have got to tell you that I've had a fat tire on many occasions. And every single time I drink it, I feel like I'm drinking putrid lake water. I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but it's just horrible.

You're going to hear everyone rave that's is amazing belgian beer. OHHHH save me that crap. This is just tap water with a little wheat in it.

Anyone who likes this nasty beer needs to stick with their lite beers they get off on.

good nightnow!

1.98/5  rDev -45%

Pours a small white head that falls fast into almost nothing. Smells sweet and has some spices in the smell. Has a brownish amber color that's very clear, almost golden. Taste reminds me of kit kat bars. Not desirable. Taste is a little woody. It's sweet flavor at first reminds me a little of an Oktoberfest. Mouthfeel is ok, a little harsh on the carbonation. Overall, I think I am happy to just try this, but I won't have too many more of these.

1.98/5  rDev -45%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Color is amber, but not far off from that of a "fizzy yellow" American lager. Nice 1" white head which quickly settled to just a thin layer. Nice lacing.

S - Not much to smell here.

T - Reminds me of Leinenkugel's amber, but perhaps a little more bready. More like a watered-down Sam Adams Boston Lager. I can drink Sam's, but this is tough.

M - Thin and solvent-like. Somewhat astringent. Average carbonation.

D - I have only two bottles of this stuff left and I am tempted to give them away. I just don't care for this stuff.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of the style, but this recipe needs work.

1.98/5  rDev -45%

L - Light copper color, good carbonation, no head to be found.

S - Biscuity malt, slight toast.

T - Bready malt, and not much else. Aftertaste is somewhat redeeming with a slight caramel.

F - Light and thin on the mouth feel

O - Going to preface this by saying Ales are my style of choice. This however is seriously underwhelming. I expect much more out of an ale than what this could provide. Entirely undeserving of a 80+ rating here on BA. Lager swillers looking to branch out might enjoy this.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing