Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 1,986 | Ratings: 8,373
4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

This pours a beautiful amber color with a two finger white head. The head falls unevenly like many belgians. I smell caramel aromas and some light hints of hops. The aroma is fairly strong and it makes me want to drink it immediately. I have no choice but to give in. The initial taste is exceptionally smooth with no flavors dominating over others. It has a nice caramelly buttery taste that is balanced well with hop floral aromas/tastes. The taste is very full bodied and finishes very clean. I would consider the drinkability high for this beer compared to other ambers, of which I am generally not fond.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

Nice looking beer in the glass, copper colored with a nice fluffy head. The head melts slowly and leaves a good ammount of sticky lace on my glass.

Very nice smell, malty and floral with a bit of hops.

Very tasty, too. Sweet and malty up front with a nice hop flavor on the finish.

For such a good beer, it has a very thin and fizzy mouthfeel. I wasn't sure if I should give this a 2.5 or a 3. Maybe my expectations were higher because this is such a well made beer, so I figure it's at least average.

This is a pretty drinkable ale. It has a robust flavor that won't overpower or be overpowered by good food. I like it.

3.07/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a shaker at the Granfalloon in KC, MO. The beer managed to put up some very thin but persistent off-white surface lacing, over a clear tawny/amber body. The nose had just a little caramel and toffee, with a slight bit of graininess and hops, but it was all very weak. The taste was lightly toasty, bready, touched by caramel, with minimal hops. The mouth was medium-thick, with fine but tingly carbonation. Overall, an easy drinker, but with little character. Still, I'd like to have a session with it and see how it fares in that manner.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Amber to pale amber in color, and clear. Nice large head. No carbonation.

Sweet malt with floral hop aromas interlaced. Nectar sweetness. Light to moderate.

Same nectar malt sweetness with the understated hop florals. Mild bitterness.

Mild oral foamation and carbonation.

Nice and refreshing, fairly light. A classic.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a true amber color. Nice to see that from a beer claiming to be amber ale. Very little head, no more than a cm or so with a gentle pour into a pint glass.

Smells nice and balanced, hops and malt both evident.

I like this beer. It tastes good. Hoppy initially with malts creeping in the aftertaste. I have always thought this beer had a hint of marijuana taste to it, as strange as that sounds, although hops is related to marijuana somehow.

Feels a bit thin, but this is nice for this type of beer and compliments the tastes very well.

I could drink as much of these as available. In fact, I have today off and plan on taking down this sixer by the end of the night. 7 hours to go.

Beer is go(o)d.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

It's been a couple years since I've had one of these, time for a revisit. It's one of those beers I've taken for granted, as it's so readily available here. Poured a 22 oz. to a standard pint.

A: Pours a perfectly clear copper/amber, with many vigorous carbonation streams at first, then settling into an easier pace. A frothy 1-1/2 finger head.

S: Sweet caramel and toasty malt. Biscuits, too.

T: Caramel and nuttiness, with that same buttered biscuit flavor. Very little bitterness. Just enough hops to keep it clean and decently balanced.

M: Smooth and slightly crisp, with little aftertaste.

D: Very easy to drink...nothing complicated nor terribly special, just a tasty beer, worth having one (or more) of.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

From notes. I drank alot of this while in the Colorado Springs area....not that it is the best but one of the only good decent things that is available in this part of Colorado where you can't find great divide of avery.

A-Clear bubbly amber...lighter than expected....short white head....with nice retention and lace.
S- Caramel malts, and slightly musky hops...very clean smell.
T- Caramel malts...light hops that create a very clean finish.
M- Light to medium bodied....bubbly smooth....good intro to craft beer.
D- Sessionable....maybe too much hype...just does not meet the build up that everyone has given it...I wonder why I don't hear more about 1554.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

22 oz bomber received in a trade with b0ldfacelies.

Reddish-amber body, thick white head, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Nose is sweet, malty and slightly dusty smelling, (sounds weird, I know).

Flavor is sweet malt. Husky and slightly astringent. There's that grainy/dusty thing again. It's kind of an anti-quencher. No hops or tartness to speak of. Bready and quite bland. It's not bad, but not really my favorite type of brew.

Mouthfeel is medium with slight astringency.

Drinkability is low to me. The dryness/dustyness kills my desire for more. One bomber will be more than enough.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

6 oz taster poured from large brown bottle.

Appearance: Clear amber with a nice, thick off-white head.

Smell: Malty aroma, mostly caramel, hits up front with a mild roasted grain background.

Taste: This beer definitely sways to the malty side. Caramel and bready mostly. Very little hops detectable. It finishes with a pleasant roasty taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with excellent carbonation. Nothing offensive to report.

Drinkability: This is a rather simple brew that is easy to drink. Sometimes, simple is good.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a good medium aber hue with some darker qualities in the color than expected. Good bubbles and some better lacing than expeceted, along with the light foam retained throughout. The aroma is like Killians, only a peg or two higher. All right taste, but definetly overhyped in the Chicagoland area ever since it became available. Good malt character with a light cleaning effect from the hops. Not lot of hops mind you. Could be a sessionable beer. But I can't drink a "new" beer like this regularly when its so overhyped. A big hang up I know, but I can't help it.

4.59/5  rDev +27.5%

This beer produces a giant head that leaves walls of sticky, sheet-like lacing. Color is new-penny copper and aromas are light grassy hops and grain. Smell is very fresh.

This is a pretty simple beer, just toasted malt sweetness with spicy and grassy hop bitterness but damn I will never get tired of this long-time favorite. Its just the right balance of smoothness, flavor, light and dark tastes. Great stuff. Light mouthfel with low carbonation. I have consumed great quantities of this beer in the past, and one day hope to do so again.

3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

Bought this on a recent trip to Omaha, heard so many good things about it that I thought I would give it a shot, 12 oz bottle, best before 15DEC06 and marked 20188 066128 1102, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear light copper with a 1 ½ inch sand colored cloud like head that collapses down after several minutes, laces like Swiss cheese

S—sweet and sour, more sour than anything, some bread tones, not to my liking, actually, a little dirt aroma as well

T—sweet, buttery, biscuit, some fruitiness, very strong flavor, finishes on the dry side

M—smooth, medium/light bodied, good carbonation

D—glad I tried it, but not something I would have on a regular basis. I really don’t like the smell.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

About twelve years ago, I met Fat Tire, and I haven't been the same since.

The appearance is a strikingly transparent amber, and the head's retention is fabulous. As for the smell, imagine walking past the best bakery you can imagine, and they're making up a batch of cinnamon scones. The taste is great too, and absolutely unique in the sea of the 27 trillion other micro-ambers I've consumed in the past twelve years. That having been said, I can see how some could find the "biscuity" character a little overbearing

The moutheel is crisp, yet substantial on the palate, with a numbing afterglow that makes me think of novocaine. The drinkability is second to none, and I'm convinced that a negative review of this beer finds it's roots in a determination to deride it. If nothing else, the simple fact that this beer has brought such an incredible number of folks over from the dark side should earn this beer a lifetime acheivement award.

Also, I had the pleasure of visiting the brewery when I was in the Denver area for my recent birthday, and I couldn't recommend the tour more highly. Their business practices, and their success are as inspiring as their beer. You must go to Fort Collins. While you're they're, check out Coopersmith's Brewpub.

It warms well too. In fact, it's warming me as I type. How's my speling?

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

2006 vintage. Served in a pub glass.

Pours a dark amber with large white head that last throughout drinking. Moderate amount of lacing. Large amount of tight carbonation.

Smells very yeasty/bready. Moderate citrus hop smell with vague cinnamon and ginger.

Initially, there is a slight sweet maltiness that progresses into a dry hop citrus finish. There is a slight peppery taste to the finish. The flavors are kind of muddy; not very distinct in the presentation. The bready/yeasty flavors seem to dominate.

Light plus bodied, properly carbonated. Not watery. At times, slightly too astringent in the middle and the finish. I noticed this much more with the bomber vs the 12 ounce bottles. I don't know why, but that's what I found. I almost didn't drink the 6 pack for the bomber.

Easy to drink. Sessionable. Uncomplicated beer. I was somewhat disappointed in the taste since I've been wanting a fat tire on reputation for almost 2 years now.

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

Had this on tap tonight at a pizza joint here in Austin.

I am normally a huge craft beer fan, but this one just doesn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong, not a bad brew, but the overwheling earthy flavor of this beer, especially early on, just doesn't quite do it. That said, I have tasted worse beers out there, but I probably won't be drinking this brew again.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a nice amber color with a nice head. Smells of sweet malt a floral hops and sort of a wierd smell I can't place, kind of like my dog smells. Taste is good. Nice malt pressence as well as some fruit, also a little hops. Mouthfeel is fine and this is pretty drinkable. Pretty solid brew.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a reddish/orange color with a medium creamy white head. Head dissipates quickly leaving a collar of foam. Lots of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma of sweet fruit and malt.

Taste is of sweet malts, some spiceyness and light hops.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and lightly cleansing. Not much going on. Was expecting more with the carbonation level.

Overall, it is farely drinkable but not one I would go out of my way to have again. Lacks depth and character.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz brown bottle

Fat Tire Amber Ale was a clear amber color with an off-white head. The head had good retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was sweet crystal malt and a little toasty. The taste was malty and sweet upfront with a more balanced finish. The body was medium with medium carbonation. Drinkability was good. Overall it's a good beer and would make a good session beer.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer pours dark amber red color with a light head that retains well. It smells like malted fruit with a sweet grain sent. The taste is malty and sweet with a little bit of an after taste. It has a light crisp feel with a smooth quality that makes it easy to drink. In all I would say this is a very easy to drink amber. For those who are new to the world of good beer this is an easy cross over. It’s a good beer but it is easy to drink for those who are not used to flavors in their beer.

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Pours a slightly dark amber, topped by a thin white head. Aroma consists of a hint of malt and not much else. Flavor has a hint of malt sweetness and finishes dry. Bitterness is subdued. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and the beer seems very astringent. Almost leaves a woody aftertaste as well. I've tried this beer 3 times at 3 different locations in the last month, and every time, one is more than enough. Not a bad beer, just not anything memorable either. I'd recommend a Breckenridge Amber instead.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Looking at my review from this beer on tap, it is much better from the bottle.

It has great head, easy to create and thick. Nice retention.
Smell is inticing. Very biscuity.
Taste is balanced. Malts are very smooth and easy on the palate.
Clings to the mouth decently.
Easily a sessionable beer. An amber ale to relax with.

You have to give fat tire a try. At $13 dollars a 12 pack it's a great great pickup.

This is sort of a no frills amber ale. It's a kick back brew. I take it for what it is. I rate it that way as well.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottle pored into a mug. this pores a clear copperish color. nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

i'm just getting over a cold so it's a little hard to catch all the aroma. this smells like a freshly baked batch of cookies. chocolatey, biscuity, doughy, bready, and some earthly hops.

taste is just about the same as the smell.

full bodied and slightly thick.

great beer. easily drinkable and something that won't hurt the macro crowd as well.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Brown in appearance. Very nice head. This is a great october beer even in Texas when it's 85 degrees. I personally like this beer served a lot colder than recommended. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm cooking on the grill and watching my Cowboys lose.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Presentation: 22oz bomber, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Orangish amber on the lighter side. Pale, almost white head with a thin lace.

Aroma: light malt dominates with a slightly fruity background.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The slight fruitiness in the aroma is even less apparent in the taste, but the malt is moreso. Biscuity and toasty, especially in the finish. Balanced well by the hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat light and very smooth.

Notes: This is a good crossover beer to get others into craft beer. A good session beer, as it's easy to drink. But overall, it's nothing special.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Harvest orange brown color. Small to medium head with little to no lacing. Best described buy bottle as toasty and biscuit like. Fantastic burnt crust kind of taste with earthy woody undertones. Medium carbonation with a slight bite. Very drinkable.

One of those beers that you can't get enough of. Everytime i taste this beer i find new flavors.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing