Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,023 | Ratings: 8,561
3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this beer while in California at the Yard House as well as at Riptide in Mission Viejo. I really enjoyed how smooth and light it was. I am extremely disappointed that it is not available anywhere near I live. It is definitely a beer that I would seesion with.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

I remember having this in Colorado several years back, and I can't get it in Florida, so upon figuring out that I could actually mail order beer, I ordered some stuff. Among that stuff was a couple bottles of Fat Tire.

Appearance - Pale amber, formative head, not much lacing.

Smell is pretty distinct for a lower alcohol amber ale. A spicy citric aroma, kind of like an orange spice tea.

Taste....oh yeah, I remember this. I was sitting at a bar in Boulder and had this with a cheeseburger, and thought it a distinctive taste. Kind of *tastes* like the air inside of a fat bike tire, if that makes any sense....and I actually don't mean that as a negative. Kind of a pleasurable chocolate and rubber mustiness, yes, it's all coming back to me. Rather unconventional...weird....but it works. Moderately alcoholic in the finish...I can actually taste some alcohol, which I also find odd for a 5.6% brew. Pairs well with grilled foods, salads, pretty much anything.

Mouthfeel is just right for this style.

Well, this is an oddball beer. This isn't going to be everyone's bag, but among its adherents (and I suppose I can count myself as one), this is very drinkable, and a nice session beer.

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%

I like this beer a lot; it is one of my favorites. It is smooth, not overpowering, easy to drink, and has a good body. Its not too sweet like other New Belgium brands nor is it too bitter or too strong. Overall just the right balance of everything. A dark beer with light beer drinkability.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

One of the first beers i enjoyed in america, in bottle or tap, always a good fall back beer! ...The rich smell is what i noticed first, then the pour. Nice and quite ruby-tanned . Good taste and good after taste, quite an enjoyable brew, and the price, not bad at all for 2 bucks a big bottle!..very nice bitters too...I also like the fact that alot of bars that serve only BMC products will usually have this too !

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fat tire was the first "micro" i remember trying. Pours a beautiful copper color with a nice white head that settles quickly, leaving some foam on the surface. Smells of malt and yeast, maybe some kind of pear or apple. Tastes of malt, maybe some citrus. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Very easy to have a few of....

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Pours brownish-amber (duh!) with a thick foamy white head. Nice.

S: Matly sweetness, a lot of apples with a slightly bready undertone.

T: Like smooth apple cider, a hint of citrus in the finish. Finishes clean and slightly sweet.

M: Thin, lightly carbonated.

D: Good beer, a nice dinner drink or just something to relax with.

4.6/5  rDev +27.8%

The description on the bottle is quite accurate. Biscuit-like aroma and flavor are a direct result of the yeast used by New Belgium Brewing. Pay close attention to the serving temperature and try to pour into your favorite beer glass rather than drink from the bottle. The aroma gets me every time. I think the bitterness is very appropriate for this style of brewing. This is a very well constructed amber ale.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle to pint glass.

fat tire pours a bright orange body with (macro) yellow highlights and a thick, quickly sinking, pearly head, leaving wonderful lace down the glass. nose is yeasty of the belgian sort with bready malts and slight, spicy hops. the taste is much bolder than the smell, exhibiting a rich, roasted quality and slight frutiness. it is also quite nutty and somewhat bitter in the finish. mouthfeel is good, low carbonation and not overly thick, but for some reason, it sticks a bit in the back of the throat...
overall, not bad, but decidedly not what i'm looking for.

2.61/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Has this beer changed that much or is it just me? I don't remember it being anything exciting or interesting. I remember a light beer with some balance from caramel malt. Now it is somehow less. I used to be able to drink it, now there is no point.

The last glass of this I had was light and overly citric, grapefruits and lemons. Beyond that it didn't taste like much of anything. Dried out a bit on the finish.

Light in body, not very good, a bit sad. I guess I'll have to try this one more time, but not unless I get it free.

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

Was excited to find this on tap at a pub in LA.. it seems it was a popular beer everywhere out there, even though it's from Colorado I think.

Regardless, I wasn't terribly impressed. There wasn't much to smell, and even less to taste. I kept taking sips looking for any soft of flavor, but kept coming up short. It was definitely a red ale, but a very mild one at that. Low in carbonation as well. Not much to report on this beer I'm afraid, and I even had another just to make sure - yet had the same experience. Great in color I must say, but lacking in all other areas. Not worth trying.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Bought this Beer today at a corner Liquorstore in North Hollywood. I have never seen it before, so I thought I would give a try. Bottle looks fancy and from what I read it is a good buy for the most part. Here's what I thought:

A - Brownish orange color. About 1/4" head that vanishes quickly.

S - Rich citrusy smell, typical Amber Ale.

T - Strong, distinguishable flavor. Almost chocolatey. Aftertaste lingers for about 1 minute. Not a potent aftertaste, pleasently skunky at first. Overall Rich tasting beer, mild hoppy flavor. (makes me happy).

M - Good for summer days. Not the best with some foods (i.e. picnic salads, fish), but pretty good for burgers and BBQ's.

D - Very drinkable. Aftertaste does not ruin the overall Quality.

Overall a good beer. Refreshing yet full bodied.
Cons - First sip a little "too" potent, but by half the beer I was acquianted.
Pros - Easy drinking, smells great. Presentation overall attractive.
Rating - Great Quality (A-)

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours to a decent white head that persists and leaves considerable lacing. Orange-amber color and brilliant clarity. Aroma is malty, slightly toasty and fruity. Flavor is a blend of toasted, nutty malt, sweet pale malt and mild hop flavor and balancing bitterness. The flavor does have some alcohol sweetness, fruit and "Belgian twang" (for lack of a better description). Finishes toasty and slightly bittersweet.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Traxx, the bar in the Union train station in LA.

A nice clear amber color with a loose, fluffy white head, that is transiently regeneratable throughout the drink. Faint whiffs of pale and crystal malts are apparent, giving off a nice caramel nose. The taste is pretty sharp with the carbonation but has a nice subtle sweetness to it, with a mild ending that isn't too astringent. Mouthfeel is light and sharp initially with the high carbonation but smooths out towards the end, giving it a pretty good drinkability. Won't be the most exciting beer ever, but within the context of an amber ale, it is quite solid.
___

5/15/09

Had at Philippe's on tap in Los Angeles. Was sweeter than I remember it. Very biscuit and honey-like.

4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

This american take on a belgiun ale has become a cult favorite in the rockies. The appearence is a deep amber with a foamy head. As for taste, this beer stands in a class of its own with a yeasty, irresistable flavor. This is truly a brew for all occasions.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

if it weren't for how overpriced this is, i would almost say that this is my new session beer of choice. however, i find that 9 times out of 10 this is to expensive. maybe if it was closer to $7 for a six rather than $9-10.

a lighter bodied ale that has mild hoppiness and has a very nice malt complexity to it.

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a classic Colorado ale, and one that deserves more credit than it gets. In fact, I think it's become fashionable to bash this beer because it's become so iconic. Pours a nice caramel with a creamy egg shell head. Smells of yeasty bread. Taste is well balanced with a nice hint of hops and some sweetness. Very drinkable, hell you could drink it all day and night.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance - Poured a very light amber colored liquor. About 1 fingers worth of frothy head. Disappeared very quickly. Lacing was excellent.

Smell - Most of aroma was yeasty and malty. The hopes were not very present in the nose.

Taste - Taste was dominated by yeasty flavors.

Mouthfeel - This beer had an excellent mouthfeel. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - I think this beer was very drinkable. Definitely a session beer. I had about 3 of these from bottles.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Pretty amber beer, often passed over by 'beer geeks' as a 'gateway' beer. So a revisit of all the times I've had it at Joe's party, or pulled out of an ice tub at Lisa's house, etc...is necessary.

Nice grassy hop nose that's really mild but inviting. Very mild but tasty beer, easy to drink down and leaves a sweet aftertaste that makes the grassy nose of the next sip and ever better balance.

It is true it's a gateway beer, easy to drink but with a stronger flavor than most widely available macros. You can find it on tap just as easily if not more so out her in Portland, and it's a good beer to help spread the appreciation of different beers to a new convert. Can't beat a buck for a bottle of this beer either.

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Thanks to bm0095 for the bottle, had been wanting to try this for a while.

Pours a c;ear. clean amber with a sall white head that quickly faded leaving some soft white clingy lace. There was no real smell to this, maybe the slightest bready smell, but really nothing at all. The taste was about the same, bland. Again slight hints of bready, but no real strong flavor or body, almost thought it was a macro. I was really not impressed with this, as New Belgium has a pretty good rep, maybe I just need to try one of their bigger beers.

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

After trying New Belgium's Fat Tire Ambler Ale at several bars, generally with meals, I found it available at a Chicago grocery chain.

Poured a rich dark copper color with a nice vibrant head. Small bubbles were consistently small and dissappeared shortly. As advertised it has scents of "biscuit-like malt flavors" that are quite pleasant. Fat Tire is rather smooth. I prefer this beer with meals. Their web site suggests having this beer with grilled foods, and my experiences have been with pub burgers which this beer compliments greatly.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

I am a bar manager in North Texas and have brought in copius amounts of american microbrews as guest beers on my taps to determine what might be the best sellers in a farm town flooded with patrons who have only been exposed to what me and my friend lovingly refer to as "horsepiss beers" (you know the ones), but I've found that transfering my customers to this delightful amber has been quite easy. My patrons love the tosted malts and the smoothness of the ale, but I've found out something that all the naysayers of this fine brew might like to try. I've given several of these brews out in pints until my distributor brought me some fine crystal brandywine glasses and before my eyes those who had once disliked the brew suddenly had a change of heart. I found that the plesent aroma that fat tire exudes is very important to the drinkability of the beer. This beer is made to please several senses at once and all go to the enjoyment of this beer.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle, it is a bright copper brew with fairly thick off-white head that subsided quickly but left very nice lace. The aroma is biscuity malt that is fairly one dimensional, with a taste that closely follows suit. Beyond the toasty biscuit flavor is a slight hop bitterness,a bit of astringency and a hint of alcohol as well. The mouthfeel is a little thin, pushing this closer to blandness, but leading to a high level of drinkability as an easy going session ale. Not bad, but I'm not sure why it garners such a popular reputation, although I tend to prefer more robust tasting beers...

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a light amber color; a bit straw-like in hue. Nice thick creamy slightly off-white head that lingers for quite a while.

Smell: Has a somewhat warm aroma of yeasty malts and some florals. I think a bit of fruit smell is present too, but the yeast is quite pungent (a bit too much so).

Taste: Very much like the smell, with a strong yeast flavor. But it does have a bit of hops as well to counter it.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and a tad bit chewy. Very smooth and with a light tingly feel.

Drinkability: Definitely a drinkable beer that goes down fine and that is easilly managed (alcohol and taste-wise).

Certainly doesn't live up to the hype I've heard over the years. Not a bad beer, but it's like they're trying too hard to make a "special" amber ale. I'm obviously not too keen on it, but I'd consider having it again with friends or at a bar. But those who enjoy beers with a very yeasty malt flavor may enjoy this.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just what the doctor ordered after another long day at work, on to the beer:

Poured into a chalice, it features a dark red body and a puffy two-finger head. Bread/biscuit notes and hop aroma play a big part of this ales flavor. It drinks fairly well, but be careful if you're drinking a bomber of this, as this does have an underlying kick.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I've heard from many people how great this beer is. So when I finally made it to the West Coast I had to find it. While in Cali I came across it and I was very pleased with it.

After the first sip I was hooked! Its a great beer to sip slowly. I am kind of picky when it comes to beer but this one will be one that I will have again.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing