Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Ratings: 8,676 |  Reviews: 2,043

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A - An almost translucent red. Poured a fair sized pale head, which left some lacing. Simply stated: average.

S - Not much going in this department. I am getting some malts, a bit of nuts and some caramel.

T - A light malty brew that far surpasses the average beer that is widely available. The biscuity malts dominate the flavors while being followed by some sweet crisp notes.

M - Light-Medium bodied with a bit high carbonation for my liking in a red. The brew has an elementary amount of complexity in its progression, but nothing more. Not much horrific here, but nothing really going great.

O - Overall this is just about what I expected, an average beer. There are qualities that make this beyond the normal macro-brewed product, but due to my rather refined palette, I cannot help but notice the many imperfections in this brew.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

Fat Tire is a super accessible beer and my introduction into the world of craft beers a few years ago. It's got a special place in my heart. I picked up a six pack and I figured I'd give one a review.

Appearance: A deep but clear amber coloring with a distinct redness towards the top. The head is one finger and just tan enough to say otherwise. Mild carbonation. Attractive and simple

Smell: Malt stands first with a roasty character in the rear. There's a tart hop somewhere but it comes and goes.

Taste: Malty, a lightness makes it super drinkable. Hopiness is almost completely covered.

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing. The carbonation cuts all weight the beer has.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

Had on tap in a pint glass.

Arrived with a one finger off-white head and a clear, medium copper body.

Aroma contained some light caramel and nuts along with a floral hop aroma. It wasn't very strong, though, and I thought there was a slight metallic note.

Flavor was quite nutty and biscuity with floral hops quickly following. A little sweet with a mild bitterness and sticky finish. Mouthfeel could have been a little bit fuller.

Overall a pretty average beer but a step above macro lagers. A great gateway beer into the craft brewing world.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. The beer is a beautifully clear copper amber color. A frothy off-white head sits on top and dissipates to a thick film. Lots of sticky lacing. The beer smells fruity, nutty, and crisp. The taste is very complex for an amber ale. I get banana peel, toasty biscuits, and floral fruits. Also a hint at nuts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a clean finish.

Overall, this is quite simply a well-made tasty amber ale unlike most ambers out there due to the belgian component: lots of floral and fruity notes. A really nice beer to have year round. I particularly like it in warmer months for some reason.

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer is a weird one. My first 5 or 6 times drinking this I thought it was the best beer in the world. I loved the toasty caramel taste and smell. I also really thought it had a good color to it. What makes it weird is it got old to me. The taste got old. The smell got old. I hardly drink this anymore, but I will have it every now and then. Mostly will drink it during winter. For people just starting to get into craft beers this is a good one to start with, but it may get old to drink after a while.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%