Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 2,000 | Ratings: 8,439
4.31/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First time drinking this delicious brew. Pours an inviting copper red with a 1 inch head that persisted a brief but respectable time. Smells of sweet grains. Taste deliciously simple with a mildly sweet yet hoppy balance. I could drink this all day. Slight effervescence that makes the finish pleasant and clean. Definite do over.

4.36/5  rDev +21.1%

I don't even know why I tried this beer many years ago as this isn't my favorite style of beer. Having said that this is one of my favorites! Full of flavor and easy drinking.

3.96/5  rDev +10%

Had this in a trade, 12oz bottle
A:pours a nice reddish orange, white head
S:has a very unusual smell, malts and molasses, almost nutty, not much hop aroma
T/M:The taste is different than the smell, very smooth and balanced, slightly sweet, with no harsh aftertaste

Overall i wish it was easier to get this beer, Its a good change, and i love New Belgium, Bring back Springboard Ale

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass

A: poured an amber color that was on the orange side there was a finger sized head white in color that did not last to long, little lacing.

S: somewhat sweet perhaps a citrus note, some malt and bread as well

T: malt and biscuit a distinct roast flavor is present there is also a cereal and grain taste there as well

M: Light in the mouth, drinkable but not watery, there is a very distinct bubbly body to it, it goes down smooth

O: it has a full taste that is enjoyable and rich but it is very drinkable not weighing you down after one or two it is not the best beer in the world but it is a solidly good one. you dont have to regret drinking it because it is so precious you were saving it for an event instead this is a beer you can enjoy again and again.

3.42/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Fat Tire Amber Ale
New Belgium Brewing, Colorado
---from bottle to pint glass---

Appearance
Bright and clear copper color, two fingers of ivory head, good lacing.

Smell
Smells very sweet, grainy, biscuity, good light hoppy smell.

Taste
Almost all malt here, grainy and biscuity, small touch of citrusy and tart hops at the end.

Mouth-feel
Light body, grainy flavor lingers – reminding you that you’re drinking a beer, but nothing more

Overall
Nothing inspiring here, easy to drink, a good beer to introduce non craft brew drinkers to. A toasty beer that won’t overwhelm your taste buds…

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

Burnt orange color from the tap, I enjoyed it very much. Drinkable but it lacked a smell that should acompany such a tasty colorful beer. Maybe I had a stuffed nose. The best part is the taste, fine quality ingredients, not too strong, nor too weak. It's not something to write home to mom about but a should not be passed up on your beer tour.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Roadhouse Bar & Grill.

A: An amber colored beer with lots of carbonation. A milky whitehead slowly dissipates as it is consumed.

S: Smell is not intense, but sweet malt can be whiffed throughout.

T: Sweet malt taste can be enjoyed throughout with a hint of hop flavoring. The carbonation also helps this one taste great throughout. This beer is definitely reminiscent of a belgian ale, but not as yeasty or having intense alcohol flavor.

M: Light and very carbonated. Not thick, but what you would expect from an ale.

D: Easily drinkable as the ABV is only 5.2%. A definitive, easy session beer.

I had this one in a bottle after I first moved back to the mainland. After hearing much hype form a close friend, I had to try it. I was not impressed during my first session with the beer. But as I gave it more time, I began to really enjoy it. It really grew on me. And now that I had it on-tap, I really can say this is a great brew and a good choice from those who are locked in a bar or restaurant who only sells the usual suspects. So much so, that when I finished my initial 16oz pint, I then ordered a 32oz to enjoy with the rest of my dinner.

Good hop aromas with hearty malt. Dark amber with good, rocky, head. Tastes of caramel malt balanced with earthy hop bitterness. Finishes clean. Medium body with good carbonation. Really enjoyed the canned version over the bottle. Someone told me that they added add'l yeast to each can, but I can't confirm. As always, a good beer.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Thick, frothy head. Red golden color. Good lacing on glass.

S: Sort of bready. Mostly malt sweetness. A faint hoppiness. That I'm having a sort of hard time pinning down.

T: Tastes like roasty biscuits. The malt is all bread. Not a lot of sweetness, thankfully. Earthy hops in the back of the mouth. Pleasant, but nothing too exciting.

M: Most of the bite feels like it comes from the carbonation. But it's still nice and smooth.

D: A good session beer. There's not a lot of reason to take your time with this one, however.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Light, clear, brown, almost orange. Bubbly sporatic head. Lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Kind of a dark malty smell. Sweet. Light hoppy presence. Slightly bitter.

T- Thin consistancy. Light presence of nutty flavors. Easy to drink.

D- Not bad. I would consider this a good session beer.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Light amber, copper in color. Two finger, creamy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a bit of lacing.

S- Grassy, grainy aroma with slight hints of floral and hops.

T- Smooth taste with a bit of hop bitterness that gives way to a large biscuity malt flavor. Leaves you with a toasty, sort of buttery finish.

M- A bit thin, but has a nice creamy feel to it. Moderate carbonation.

D- Medium-light body makes this beer easy to drink. However, I would be more inclined to drink this if I were a bigger fan of the taste

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

22 oz bottle with freshness date poured into pint glass

A- Very very clear amber color- Nice head, decent lacing

S- Interesting- Smells like unbaked bread and musty moldy slightly over-ripe fruit

T- All malt- Lingering aftertaste

Overall- Disappointing- Where's the hops?

1.82/5  rDev -49.4%

This beer is slightly bitter and has very little flavor otherwise. I expected more from this beer, given how much I’ve heard about it and how often I see it around. If you don’t want your beer to interfere with tasting your food, this would be the one for you.
There’s nothing offensive about it. It was really quite disappointingly neutral. An amber ale is supposed to have more flavor I think.

2.72/5  rDev -24.4%

Average beer. Better than the adjunct/light beers but not quite at the level of many of the other craft beers out there. Hits the mark for an Amber Ale but didn't amaze me. Good beer for an afternoon session.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours from tap into plastic cup at local bowling alley bar. Looks and smells like a lager much more than an amber. Almosy zero head. Aroma is generic beer smell with mild malty notes. Flavor is not as pronounced as i would expect from an amber. Mildly hoppy, malty, smooth but could benefit from more bitterness and hoppy notes. Overall a good beer but taste like a fancy budweiser with a few added hops.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light amber with a small head that disappeared rather quickly. Smell is like all good amber/reds with a bit of hops.

Taste is a well balanced amber with a bit of hops finishing of the flavor. Mouthfeel has a good bit of carbonation that finishes of clean and a bit dry.

This is one of those classic beers that you can find everywhere, everybody can drink and enjoy, is fairly cheap, and makes a great party drink since you can drink several of them easily. I usually have a few of these in the fridge for all of my friends that haven't quite taken the full plunge into beer advocacy.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

One of favorite all-around beers. When New Belgium was only available in several states I used to bring back cases from Texas to share in North Carolina with friends and family.

Appearance: Amber
Smell: Biscuits and hops
Taste: Bread and malt
Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp
Drinkability: Great beer and it has always been on o my favorites.

4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

I live on the East coast, so this is not something I can easily get my hands on. I have heard from several of my fellow beer aficinado's that this is certainly a favorite out west, so when I got the chance to try it, I was all over it. I think I was expecting too much from it...

Beautiful amber color when poured into a glass. Very clean smell, almost sweet, and a solid head with small to medium sized bubbles/lacing.

Taste was a very nice balance of malt and hops... I think a relatively strong hoppy aftertaste compared to other ambers, but not at all unpleasant.

This brew goes down easy. Not too strong, so you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you as you will be following it up with another, and another.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Dull orangish-tan body, with an average head that stuck around the edges until the end. Decent lacing.

Smell was very fresh, and, as another reviewer said, subtle. A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt.

Taste was very pleasant, but not remarkable in any particular way; a good balance of malt and hops.

I really enjoyed the mouthfeel; a solid fullness, but not heavy, and when you swallow it down it leaves you strangely both satisfied and wanting more.

Nothing here is really incredible, but everything comes together to make a very good, extremely drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

So, I was first obsessed by, then burnt out on this beer, and I've poo-pooed it for years now. But, I thought I'd give the little guy another chance, so I picked up a bottle of it tonight

A- Nice amber red. thin, fast dispersing head. Crystal clear.

S- Real toasty, Molasses, German dark bread.

T- Nice maltyness, flavors of toast and biscuits. Slightly nutty. Barely perceivable hops. Saltines?

M- Light, but has some lingering body. The taste of biscuits stays on the tongue long after the sip is done.

D- I'd like to nominate Fat Tire as the new standard for American session beers. This goes down incredibly easy, and packs a lot of flavor. It's not a flavor that I'm always in the mood for, but neither is Pliny the Elder or Mikheller. Doesn't deserve all the "meh" that it often gets from beer snobs (notice I said "snob" and not "geek").

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Sadly where I'm from we can't get New Belgium, so I always try to pick up a six pack when I can/

A- Moderate head that dissipates quickly. Moderate lacing with three or four lines on the pint glass I poured it into. Color resembles that of peach tea exhibiting a reddish pink hue.

S- Primarily rich malt initial smell with a very slight hint of hops appearing at the end.

T- Nice dry biscuit taste makes itself known immediately. Like in the smell a slight hint of hops bring up the rear, and make themselves most know in the aftertaste.

M- Clean feeling, but the flavors of malt cling to the inside of the mouth after it's gone.

D- Very light and easy to drink.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%

A heavy grain and malty taste, light hop middle, with a hint of caramel. a beer that grows on you the emptier the bottle becomes.

Taste Rating in Words: You look at your fence-line, there are vines growing everywhere, you hate vine, you grab the clippers, as you approach the fence flowers begin to bloom. You aren't happy about the vines but the flowers look pretty nice, the battle will continue in the fall.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank a big 22oz. offering on tap in Tempe AZ after competing in Ironman Arizona. Maybe this is somewhat biased, because I have had no beer in a few weeks, but after getting past the poor presentation by the restaurant I was in, it was very refreshing. Biscuity malts and a moderate body were the highlights of this offering. Some fruity flashes were present along with a moderately dry finish. This was the perfect pairing with my post race burger and fries dinner. Not a big beer, but good at what it was intended for, I could drink this all night!

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber hue with a modest head and a good amount of bubbling. Head dissapates slowly. The aroma has a strong sweet malt character with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Flavor is malty, quite toasty and sweet. It reminds me of a roasted marshmallow or a smore. There is a hint of hops at the end to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is good. It is medium bodied and I could easily drink a couple more of these. Very tasty.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing