Fat Tire Amber Ale | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
Fat Tire Amber AleFat Tire Amber Ale

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by kbub6f on 10-07-2000

3.6

Reviews: 1,986 | Ratings: 8,373
4.36/5  rDev +21.1%

I don't even know why I tried this beer many years ago as this isn't my favorite style of beer. Having said that this is one of my favorites! Full of flavor and easy drinking.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light amber with a small head that disappeared rather quickly. Smell is like all good amber/reds with a bit of hops.

Taste is a well balanced amber with a bit of hops finishing of the flavor. Mouthfeel has a good bit of carbonation that finishes of clean and a bit dry.

This is one of those classic beers that you can find everywhere, everybody can drink and enjoy, is fairly cheap, and makes a great party drink since you can drink several of them easily. I usually have a few of these in the fridge for all of my friends that haven't quite taken the full plunge into beer advocacy.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

One of favorite all-around beers. When New Belgium was only available in several states I used to bring back cases from Texas to share in North Carolina with friends and family.

Appearance: Amber
Smell: Biscuits and hops
Taste: Bread and malt
Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp
Drinkability: Great beer and it has always been on o my favorites.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Dull orangish-tan body, with an average head that stuck around the edges until the end. Decent lacing.

Smell was very fresh, and, as another reviewer said, subtle. A little bit of hops, a little bit of malt.

Taste was very pleasant, but not remarkable in any particular way; a good balance of malt and hops.

I really enjoyed the mouthfeel; a solid fullness, but not heavy, and when you swallow it down it leaves you strangely both satisfied and wanting more.

Nothing here is really incredible, but everything comes together to make a very good, extremely drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

So, I was first obsessed by, then burnt out on this beer, and I've poo-pooed it for years now. But, I thought I'd give the little guy another chance, so I picked up a bottle of it tonight

A- Nice amber red. thin, fast dispersing head. Crystal clear.

S- Real toasty, Molasses, German dark bread.

T- Nice maltyness, flavors of toast and biscuits. Slightly nutty. Barely perceivable hops. Saltines?

M- Light, but has some lingering body. The taste of biscuits stays on the tongue long after the sip is done.

D- I'd like to nominate Fat Tire as the new standard for American session beers. This goes down incredibly easy, and packs a lot of flavor. It's not a flavor that I'm always in the mood for, but neither is Pliny the Elder or Mikheller. Doesn't deserve all the "meh" that it often gets from beer snobs (notice I said "snob" and not "geek").

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Sadly where I'm from we can't get New Belgium, so I always try to pick up a six pack when I can/

A- Moderate head that dissipates quickly. Moderate lacing with three or four lines on the pint glass I poured it into. Color resembles that of peach tea exhibiting a reddish pink hue.

S- Primarily rich malt initial smell with a very slight hint of hops appearing at the end.

T- Nice dry biscuit taste makes itself known immediately. Like in the smell a slight hint of hops bring up the rear, and make themselves most know in the aftertaste.

M- Clean feeling, but the flavors of malt cling to the inside of the mouth after it's gone.

D- Very light and easy to drink.

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into an American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of dense, sticky head on top.

Smell: Definitely some toasted grains on the nose, with a body of sweeter, butterscotch malt notes and finished off by just the slightest bitterness from the hops.

Taste: Follows the nose incredibly well. Flavors of crusty bread hit the tongue right away, but fill out to a body of caramel and toffee flavors just ever so lightly accented with a perfect earthy hoppiness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick mouthfeel with little carbonation and an incredibly smooth finish.

Overall: I love this beer. It's an incredibly smooth and easy to drink session ale, but has all the deep flavor complexities I want when drinking a beer. I always keep it stocked and it is my go to beer when I go to a gathering of friends. Simply impeccable.

4.83/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Flat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium
Look: it is honestly orange with a slight haze to it. I am not sure why they call it an amber ale.
Smell: Sweet, malty, toffee, biscuit, caramel
Taste: Again, sweet, malty, toffe, biscuit and caramel. It tastes almost exactly like the Erie Brewing Rail Bender Ale. It tastes like an old ale, or Scotch ale to me. It is surprising with the slightly lower abv.
Overall: I can not dislike this beer because to me it tastes like one of my favorite beers which is the Erie Railbender ale, but it has less alcahol in it.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank a big 22oz. offering on tap in Tempe AZ after competing in Ironman Arizona. Maybe this is somewhat biased, because I have had no beer in a few weeks, but after getting past the poor presentation by the restaurant I was in, it was very refreshing. Biscuity malts and a moderate body were the highlights of this offering. Some fruity flashes were present along with a moderately dry finish. This was the perfect pairing with my post race burger and fries dinner. Not a big beer, but good at what it was intended for, I could drink this all night!

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber hue with a modest head and a good amount of bubbling. Head dissapates slowly. The aroma has a strong sweet malt character with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Flavor is malty, quite toasty and sweet. It reminds me of a roasted marshmallow or a smore. There is a hint of hops at the end to balance it out nicely. Mouthfeel is good. It is medium bodied and I could easily drink a couple more of these. Very tasty.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a true amber color. Nice to see that from a beer claiming to be amber ale. Very little head, no more than a cm or so with a gentle pour into a pint glass.

Smells nice and balanced, hops and malt both evident.

I like this beer. It tastes good. Hoppy initially with malts creeping in the aftertaste. I have always thought this beer had a hint of marijuana taste to it, as strange as that sounds, although hops is related to marijuana somehow.

Feels a bit thin, but this is nice for this type of beer and compliments the tastes very well.

I could drink as much of these as available. In fact, I have today off and plan on taking down this sixer by the end of the night. 7 hours to go.

Beer is go(o)d.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

A: amber orange with medium creamy white head with moderate retention and a minimal amount or lacing

S: warm, toasy malt aroma balanced with a floral hoppy aroma with a hint of fruit aromas

T: warm toasy malty flavor, not bready more like a flacky biscuit, also a hint of hopps to balance the brew

M: smooth with just a touch of carbonation

D: very nice, i'll take it as a summer or winter beer

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Crystal clear amber color, with a low to moderate head that settles fairly quickly. Leaves light lacing down the glass as it is drunk.

S - Biscuity, with a bit of caramel as it warms up. A touch of earthy hops on the back end.

T - Meh. A flat taste of maltiness that delivers on the biscuit aroma. Not much of a hop balance to it, and a bit cloying.

M - About what I'd expect from the style, the carbonation is pleasant, and the body is fairly balanced.

D - Pretty drinkable if it weren't for the lack of balance. I could throw a few of these back, but the slight cloying character of the beer would wear on me with each serving.

Overall, not too much to write home about. I'd take it over a Budweiser, but not something I'll be seeking out again.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

consumed 08-05-2009, 22oz bomber into pint glass.

appearance: pours a medium amber color with a nice fluffy 1.5 finger head. Head slowly went down.

smell: a nice nutty and hoppy aroma with good malt backbone.

taste: right away i noticed the hops, but nothing major like in an IPA. This was followed by a nutty/cinnamon/chocolate finish. Lots of malt character in this one. I was surprised at the somewhat complexity of this brew.

mouthfeel: rich & creamy with just enough carbonation. i'd say a light medium body.

drinkability: very easy to put these down.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a fresh 6-er. I've been drinking this beer for 10 years and I've gone through loving it and hating it. I think its certainly unique and I respect it as a very tasty brew.
A- nice clean beer with a wonderful amber color. Head is sparkling white.
S- um, this is my one qualm - smells a bit like a bad heineken. Just not enticing and slightly sharp and sour.
T- really love the belgian overtones here combined with the caramel notes. Pretty darn unique flavor that spans a couple of styles. I find it difficult to call this an amber ale. Finishes well dryer than an amber/red and than I seem to remember it from years past.
M- tasty and well carbonated.
O- Great job. Good for one 12 oz beer, but not much more. Wish we could work on the aroma a bit.

4.31/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First time drinking this delicious brew. Pours an inviting copper red with a 1 inch head that persisted a brief but respectable time. Smells of sweet grains. Taste deliciously simple with a mildly sweet yet hoppy balance. I could drink this all day. Slight effervescence that makes the finish pleasant and clean. Definite do over.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

A: A nice copper color. Clear. Decent head that dissipates quickly, but the lacing is nice.

S: Caramel notes and roasted malts.

T: A nice clean tasting beer without being hoppy. Had a great red ale profile and flavor.

M: Moderate amount of carbonation.

D: Easy to drink.

Will buy plenty of this and may become a mainstay in the household.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

A-Pours a dark amber with a one finger creamy head which fades rapidly.

S-Grassy, perhaps a bit of citrus. Nothing special.

T-Slightly nutty at first followed by a toasty biscut-like flavor. A bit of citrus lingers at the end. I'm not going to say that it's overtly boring, but nothing in the flavor draws me in. Overall, there is nothing offensive about this beer's flavor, it's just average.

M-Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel.

D-Good drinkability, but nothing about this beer compells me to have another. Perhaps that would be different during the summertime.

Out of the "Hipster College Student Beers" this is the best I've tasted. This beer is certainly better than the BMC crap most people drink, but it didn't live up the hype for me.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Medium amber beer poured into a pint from tap. Decent head that is very frothy

S- Malty, nothing special at all, maybe a little papery

T- Full body but no outstanding qualities to report on, does finish a bit smokey

D- Despite what it lacks, I could actually drink a few of these. Where this beer lacks flavor it does a pretty nice job in making up for it with its richness. Can't give it a score for integrity but I might be willing to overlook that (to a reasonable extent) because of how easily this went down. Was a great accompaniment to my fish & chips

2.12/5  rDev -41.1%

This beer is available everywhere here, and is often the only micro. And when it is....I drink bud. I really hate this beer. The aroma is funky. Not like rich malt, and although it used to, now has no hops or interesting esters to balance the funky aroma that I suppose is toasty, but for some reason comes off kinda vomit like to me. The taste starts off decent but ends with this lingering, cloying sweetness that just dosnt have the richness to be pleasent. Just flat, boring, and unpleasant to me. Like drinking unfermented wort. It needs something there to balance it. Just seems to sit on the tongue.

At least it is pretty.

But, if New Belgium can continue to sell tons of this stuff and be able to keep brewing the intense stuff like their trippel, la folie, mars, etc (not to mention the upcomming collaboration with a certain belgian brewery of some fame), more power to them.

Love the brewery....hate the beer.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a pint glass, about an inch of head. The beer is very clear, almost suspiciously too clear. Very nice rich earth smell, hints of citrus and something else I can't quite place, but it smells good. When it first hits my mouth I can taste chocolate malt, followed by a fruity hopness, with a slightly bitter after taste.

This is a great beer if you're just getting into craft beers and not sure where to start. Give this beer a try to get your bearings. I've heard a lot people and I include some of my friends, say that they don't care for this beer. They can never really place why they don't like it though. I'll admit the first time I had this beer, I didn't care for it that much. Over the years though it has grown on me, and it's not my favorite or even in my top 10, it's still a really solid beer.

4.11/5  rDev +14.2%

From a 22oz bottle marked "Commemorative-Taking Flight in NC"
Copper pipe color with a flax colored 2 finger head. Bubble a bit fizzy-not like pop(soda) but definitely active. Clinging lacy strands of foam stick around. This brew is clear as a spring day.

Smell is mild but appealing sweet and malty with just a little snap of floral in the background. Not super expressive; not a bar- it-all-in-your-face style. More like a quick glimpse of thigh and lace that coyly intrigues you to want more.

The taste is what happens behind those closed doors--after you've been together for 5 years. It's good, it makes you want more, but it's not gonna leave you gasping for breath or hunting for you clothes later. Malts take charge with hoppy lightly floral background notes. Somewhere in the mix is a bit of toasty caramel, but this was like finding Waldo--I really had to pay attention to pick it out.

Good carbonation prickled my tongue and the slightly oily mouthfeel made it even easier to down this quickly. Smooth, with a dryish finish, I had no recourse but to grab my glass again almost as soon as I had set it down.

To me, this was balanced and a good idea of what I could expect from this style. Honestly, my bomber when down way too quickly.

Tasty, easy to drink, enjoyable and refreshing. Right on the money for this style, I think. Fat Tire will be a staple--even if I "have" to buy it in bombers. Thanks for giving NC a Fat Tire, New Belgium!

3.96/5  rDev +10%

12 oz. bottle, poured into pilsner glass.

A: Nice Amber color, not entirely clear, but not quite cloudy. Off-white to tan head, but not much of it. Leaves a little lacing.

S: I sniffed, and detected something unexpected, something I couldn't immediately identify. Sniffed again. Yep, I knew that smell, but still couldn't place it. On a long, open mouth inhale, it hit me - strawberry jam on bisquits. OK, maybe nobody else got this impression, but once I pegged that aroma, it stuck in my head every time I lifted the glass (and I happen to love that smell - not the cheapo manufactured strawberry crap or the grocery store berries that are picked green - this is the smell of jam made from home-grown, fully ripe berries.) After I got past that first impression, I identified sweet malt, bisquit, ripe fruit and a little citrus.

T: Rewarding taste. Reinforced my strawberries on biscuits impression, but this is all beer, no fruit beverage here. Nice balance of hops to malt, but with a little lingering sweetness on the tongue.

M: Medium body, slight tingly sensation from the carbonation, fairly dry. Good back-of-the-mouth effect.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. I enjoyed this a lot, and will come back to it. I'd like to try it on tap. I could keep this in the fridge for enjoying with friends when I run short on home brew.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance- A really nice clear amber-to-copper color, with a 2-finger creamy off-white head. Great lacing on the glass.

Aroma- Grains, slightly sweet malts, a little toast. I don't get much hops at all, but I poured it at 40F. Grape nuts.

Flavor- More grains, some "mineraliness." Biscuit.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, medium carbonation.

As unique as I think that this beer is, I think that New Belgium has some much better offerings.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Been seeing this at the distributor for a long time and always found an excuse to pick something else up, but wanted to try something other than a stout or IPA.

Purchased a 12-pack of cans and sat on the back porch with my lady and a younger male friend. In the glass it was a pleasant amber color as advertised. Nose quality very good, and from the first sip the impression was that hit everything right in the sweet spot, so to speak. Flavor, carbonation, aftertaste were all quite desirable and easily left us all wanting another. A great session beer, paired well with food and lent one a great appreciation of the chirps and peeps of all the little creatures enjoying their final warm evening of the year. Will definitely buy again, and anxious to try other offerings from New Belgium.

Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing