Twisted Spoke 15th Anniversary | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

"65% Ale aged in a wood barrel, 14% ale with cherries added and ale, 21% ale brewed with Coriander and 100% Aged in apple flavored whiskey barrels." The beer was hand-bottled August 26, 2010.

Added by Sean9689 on 12-12-2010

Endless thanks to Todd Leopold of Leopold Bros. Distillery for this amazing treat!

Pour is hazy strawberry/amber with an incredible effervescence. Even though the bottle rested for almost 24 hours before I removed the cork very slowly, it still shot out, and, unfortunately I lost a bit this precious nectar when it overflowed.

The nose and flavor mirrored each other, and were very complex. Featured were esters of barnyard funk, horse blanket, apples, grapes, cherries, limes, currants, figs, and dates all overlayed with a remarkable sour tartness.

The finish is very dry which allows the aforementioned flavors to continue to bloom in the mouth for quite awhile, and also makes the next sip irresistibly compelling.

Overall, this is very reminiscent of RR's Consecration, if it had been blended with Compunction, although I love it even more than either of those.

Wow squared, New Belgium, you knocked this one right out of the Park!

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

cannot thank mike enough this one with me. one i never thought i would get ahold of finally finds its way into my hands. split and poured into a tasting glass. Glad to have shared this with myself at my nightly tastings in my living room with my wife and my cat.

golden yellow color. A little white head on top, maybe a quarter of an inch but it stayed on top for damn near the entire session, really looked quite nice I have to admit. Light rings of lace on the side of the glass and a really nice and very bright color to it.

Beautiful. Like a funky masterpiece. Loads of tart apple notes, hints of sour grapes, lots of fruit all over the place. Bright, with a touch of light citrus notes bouncing around as well. Very well put together I have to admit. Really am like where this one is going. As I let it warm it opens up even more. So bright and complex, yet simple. Huge tart and sour notes just pucker your lips and leave you in amazement of the flavor you are experiencing. It was like that times ten. I was floored. Clean, crisp, super funky and tart, I was beyond impressed here. One of the best tasting beers, let alone sour beers that I have ever come across. It was really that damn good. Say what you will, but wow. Nice long drawn out close to it really lets that flavors absorb on the palate and that taste, which wonderful sour taste just will not fade and hangs in your mouth forever. Not much else I can say, but wow.

Twisted Spoke 15th Anniversary from New Belgium Brewing