Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by mkorpal on 02-26-2011

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.47/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

was told by the bartender at falling rock that this was like a cherry based la folie, but he was absolutely wrong. its not lactic at all like the la folie, its only moderately sour, and most of that is in the nose from what must be a bit of brett. any sour flavor comes from sour cherry juice, and this felt like a glass of spoiled koolaid to me rather than a special sour beer. if its other fruit than cherries in here, its lost on me. it looked like cough medicine, smelled similar, and finished long and sweet. a glass was more than i cared to drink really. it had a syrupy texture and left the teeth coated with sugar. the cherry seemed artificial and in way way way too heavy of a dose. maybe some age would do this good, but i thought it was a pretty weak effort, especially since the lips of faith beers have all been so incredible lately. this is definitely one to skip unless you like cherry jolly ranchers in your beer.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%

I had this on-tap at Max's during Baltimore Beer Week. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark red color with light coming through at the edges. There is a finger of off white head that has a hint of pink to it. The head fades quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet natural raspberries along with some malt. Mildly buttery.

Taste: The raspberry dominates, but this beer isn't too sweet. The finish is a bit tart. The buttery note that showed up in the smell doesn't show up here.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The raspberry really dominates and doesn't leave room for much else. Good beer if you're in the mood for raspberries.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Pours a light layer o pink hued white head. Color is a dark raspberry pink.

Aroma: Mainly raspberries. I get a little Belgian background flavors. Maybe a bit of spice.

Taste: Again, all raspberries. Not sour, but more like raspberry puree. A little oak and a light amount of tart. A hint of spice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Dry. Ends a bit sticky.

Overall, this was a decent beer, but nothing I would go crazy over. Just a whole lot of raspberries. Pretty easy to drink, however.

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a small nonic, the pour was a deep, dark red color, clear with a tan head that had a tinge of red and leaves behind splotchy, sticky lace.

S - Sour raspberry -- strong enough to mostly mask the malt flavors.

T - Sweet, but not objectionable. As anticipated from the nose, it is quite heavy on raspberry flavor. Minimal sourness, and a light malt background.

M - Near medium body has good feel and medium carbonation. The 8.5% ABV is not obvious.

O: a very good dark fruit beer: easily recommended as a dessert beer.

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Graciously served by the staff at The Fred a dark mahogany-hued body, reddish at the edges, and capped by a small, beige head.

Smell: A fruity, reasonably tart nose, as one would expect, smelling of ripe raspberries, again, as one would expect. Little hints underneath the berries of middling, modest malts and sweet-scented golden syrup.

Taste: A big sweetish sip of just-juiced raspberries and, while tart, it's not overly tart. In fact, let's just call the entire thing 'gently' tart. Scaffolding of dark bready malts, though relatively light in flavor. The purported 8.5% ABV is nowhere to be seen. Drying, soft finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: It's good and I cheerfully downed my goblet, but it's no New Glarus Raspberry Tart. Then again, what is?

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

another big growler that we opened up for the party last night, this was actually well received by my wife as well. poured into a snifter and enjoyed on 5.14.11

deep and dark purple pour with a huge head of purplish and pink tones that seemed to never stop climbing. just a huge, huge beer that left soo much lacing on the sides it was incredible.

aroma is deep grapes and hints of acidic notes. warming brings out more sugary notes and hints of a berry like tartness that continue to help it evolve but this was by far and away dominated by the grapes. flavor was no different as each sip was a mouthfull of muscat that had a nish and smooth conistency and a light sour finish that left the palate dry and looking for more. really nicely done and an interesting beer for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

Following the description given to me by the bartender (which I can't really remember right now), I had to try this one. It pours a dark ruby-tinted black-brown (it's possible this stuff is actually purple, but the light's not all that bright in here...I can only call it as I see it) topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose is composed almost entirely of dank-ish raspberry, though some dark greens make quick appearances every now and again. The taste holds notes of rich raspberry, light blood orange, light tart ruby red grapefruit, and very light cocoa in the back. This raspberry taste is one of the freshest I've ever experienced in a beer. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a decently smooth feel. Overall, another enjoyable offering from the Lips of Faith line. Right on.

4.11/5  rDev +9.9%

Rating this as a fruit beer, as it's not a lambic, nor is it advertised as one. 40% raspberry juice, 60% imperial dark ale. Served in a New Belgium goblet at Fountainhead.

A - I've never seen a beer that looks quite like this one. Pours with two-plus fingers of creamy dark pink foam that settles to a thick cap and leaves behind splotchy lace. The body appears black, but reveals ruby transparency when held to the light.

S - Reminds me of raspberry yogurt, with a mild lactic character but not much acidity. The heavy raspberry aroma is backed up by caramel, chocolate, and butterscotch malt flavors.

T - Quite heavy on the raspberry juice - somewhat tart, but very sweet and ripe. Minimal sourness, and a light roasted malt and chocolate finish that evokes a decadent dessert platter. Could use a bit more sourness for balance.

M - Creamy, medium body, medium-low carbonation, and a roasty dry finish. The 8.5% ABV is a bit of a shocker.

D - I had no problem finishing my goblet with the well-hidden alcohol, but I don't think I'd want more than one in a session. If it's still on-tap next time I'll definitely have it again though. Quite unique, and will probably be a big hit with the ladies.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color, but with red and rose hilights. Head retention is pretty good in this beer and there is pretty good lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, as I pick up considerable raspberry chocolate, with undertones of vanilla and cherry. The flavor profile replicates the nose, except I was surprised by the sour component. My initial reaction wasn't very positive, but the beer grew on me over time. The intermix of sweet and sour is actually pretty nice, and this beer certainly delivers plenty of flavor. Oddly, mouthfeel is probably this beer's weakest link. The beer drops off on the finish, which surprised me given the amount of flavor I picked up. Consequently, the finish is a bit short, with the sour winning out over the sweet component of the flavor profile.

An interesting beer, but not sure this is one I'll want to try again any time soon.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Edit: This beer should not be any where close to a Lambic category... it is definitely a fruit beer... a good fruit beer, but "lambic" is laughable.

Hefty pour into a big goblet at Bitter Creek.. astonishingly pink head.. No kidding, seriously pink foam.. It is dark in the restaurant, but as close as I can tell, the brew is clear and deep red wine burgundy... it is still brown down along the stem of my goblet, but the glass is no doubt deep red.

Nose is a raspberry overload... tart and mildly tannic... a bit of something that I can only describe as cocoa.. but the fruit blows everything else off the plate.

Flavor is pungent tart berry essence from front to back... just enough malt sweetness to help tie things together and then the berry notes come back swinging on the finish... a bit tannic twinge toward the bottom of the glass... No EtOH.

This is an after dinner beer... I've made the mistake of trying to pair it with Poutine and later with Fish and Chips.. bad for me... I can see it being a sipper for a while... order it early and let it warm up while you eat... and then have a sip or two while you digest.

Body makes me think 6%... carbonation is pretty nice, but I expect no less from my Bitter Creek.

Very nice fruit beer.. 12oz is waaay too much. I would definitely like to see this one bottled, but honestly, I would probably only buy a few... It would be too much very quickly on my palate.

4/4/4/4/3

3.37/5  rDev -9.9%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a deep deep red with a small light pink head. Solid head retention, limited lace.

S: Real nice pure raspberry fruit, not Raspberry Tart, but nice.

T: Some good raspberry flavour, but no real malt strucutre, a bit sugary. There are some good points, but I expected more.

M: Medium-bodied, cloying at times, fairly smooth, no acidity. The 8.5% was nowhere to be found, so that's a plus.

O: This is a fruit beer, and an OK one. Actually reminded me of Great Divide's raspberry beer a lot. Needs some balance, I blended it with Petrus Aged Pale to add some acidity and that made it a much more balanced and pleasant drinking experience.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

On-tap at Closed for Business in Charleston, SC.

Pours a deep purplish-ruby color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of medium malts with large amounts of lightly tart berries and red grapes.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Moderately sweet medium malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by mildly tart berry and grape flavors. Midway through the sip the fruit flavors turn darker with hints of plums, fading out into a mildly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn't have any problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was a bit let down by this beer as most other NB sours are nothing short of fantastic. Still, a decent beer that's worth a shot if it comes around and one that is certainly worth a shot to see for yourself.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Shared with mikesgroove during the Growler Party this weekend! Served from growler into a Southern Tier tulip. Poured a deep dark purple with a two finger light purple head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grapes, earth, and a bitter note. The flavor was of sweet malt, grapes, earth, and grape pits. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. I really liked this one out of the growler better than when I had it on tap if I'm honest. The bitterness on this one was a little off-putting, but it could have come from the seeds of the grapes used to make this one. At least that would be my guess. Very easy drinking for an 8.5% brew which is kind of scary. A definite worth trying for any Fruit/Veggie fan out there.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Truly unique looking beer. A black beer almost dark purple looking at times. Has a huge pink head that had good retention and left some chunks and fat lace on the side.

S - Raspberry, cream, smells a lot like raspberry yogurt. I don't get any real tart notes off of this, but it smells like a nice fruit beer.

T - To start with, this is not a lambic. From what I understand it is a blend of 40% raspberry puree and 60% black ale. It definately tastes like a raspberry fruit beer, but it is a really good blend. It reminds me a ton of raspberry yogurt, and the malts are a good compliment to it. Very different, but good.

M - Full bodied, with appropriate carbonation to keep it from getting too sticky.

O - Very interesting beer, while I'm not in love with it, it's still very good and pretty easy to drink. I'd recommend trying this to anyone, as it's quite different and unlike anything I can think of having before.

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a dark, ruby red with a frothy white head. Smells of tart raspberries and that's about it. The palate is much the same - raspberries dominate everything from the start to finish. I was hoping for a little more complexity, however what was there was really good. It reminds me of a to Ed down blushing monk that I had a couple of weeks ago. I would highly recommend this to lovers of raapberries and raspberry beers. To everyone else, it is worth a shot.

Lips Of Faith - Ooh La La! from New Belgium Brewing