Lips Of Faith - Super Cru | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Lips Of Faith - Super CruLips Of Faith - Super Cru

3.4

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 159 | Ratings: 314
3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance:
Poured into a Surly pint glass. Under 2 fingers of head, which disappeared completely before I actually took my first sip. Clear golden amber color actually looks very nice.

Smell:
Sweet malt, a bit of pear, a bit of apple, tiny hint of banana. I would definitely describe it as more fruity than hoppy, and a little tart. It kind of reminds me of a belgian beer.

Taste:
Yes, the fruit still comes through strong. Semi-sweet, but not as sweet as I had come to expect. Not tart at all. Very far from bitter, and definitely smooth. It has an aftertaste which just makes me think of a saison with a little black pepper or chile. It's an interesting taste to be sure.

Mouthfeel:
Not stepping into any new grounds here. Just a bit of heat, doesn't coat the mouth, but lingers for a little while. Medium or so carbonation.

Overall:
A solid beer in my opinion. It's not going to make it's way onto my favorites list, and at the price I probably won't buy it again. However, I don't regret spending the money to try it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a nice golden orange with a thick head that is leaving fast.

This beer smells, oddly enough, like a sauvignon blanc. Sweet and fruity with lots of Belgian yeast. Unfortunately the taste was not as good. You can definitely taste the pear and yeast, but I feel like the double fat tire base is what is killing the taste.

I had to sort of force the rest of this beer down since the flavor was absolutely not doing anything for me.

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- looks like carbonated scotch, low head and it dissipated quickly
S- tad of pear, a bit of clove and nutmeg, sweet
T- Oooh God it's delicious, definitely can tell the higher alcohol content
M- thick, tingly and surprisingly carbonated compared to the head (looks flat but you can feel the carbonation)
O- This is great "sitting around drinking" beer. Good with a cigar or during a cookout.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from bottle into New Belgium globe.

A: Pours a translucent amber orange with a finger of head that slightly dissipates leaving a full coating across the glass. Strong carbonation coming from the middle of the glass and just trickling up at the sides. Tight thin bubbles.

S: Smells of belgian yeast, some fruit and bread. The smell is not overpowering. Not sure I'm picking up any pear juice in the nose.

T: Ooo this beer just took a turn for the worse. Lots of malt, and yeast, in fact too much almost as it overpowers the beer. Has a bit of an off flavor which I don't know what it is.

M: Moderate to heavy carbonation, bubbles continue coming up rapidly throughout the entirety of the beer. Finish is dry, coats your mouth with a stickyness of malt.

O: I don't know what New Belgium was thinking, this is their 20th anniversary beer? I was sooo excited for this beer, as New Belgium makes some amazing lips of faith beers, but I feel like they could've done something more special for their anniversary. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad beer, definitely not a drain pour or anything, I just was expecting more. I'll finish the bomber but that will probably be the last time I have this beer.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at bc's pizza and beer in Clovis ca

A: very pretty amber luster 1finger of head only a little lacing

S: fermented juicy juice!

t: herbal fruity, very wine like, hops linger in the back but present lots of alcohol

m: not quite a sipper but not a pounder and I like the carbonation reminded me of sparkling wine

O: I think I see what they are doing with this beer it's a of beat ale that plays with the pallet but enjoyable but not sessionable

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A deep gold, if not light copper. Like tupelo honey. Somewhat translucent with a little sediment probably from the Saison yeast.

Smell: Very fruity, bready smell. Very reminiscent of its older cousin, Fat Tire. Has a subtle hint of the funk that comes from a lot of Belgian-style beers, but at the backend of the nose. The fruit and earthy qualities are the immediate and best reaction to the nose.

Taste: Decently balanced for how much is going on in the beer. It has a lot of characteristics indicative of a lot of styles. That’s its greatest weakness. I’m not certain the Amber backbone is paired extremely well with the pears and other fruit flavors. But it is certainly still a pleasure to drink. The spices and gingery tastes, common in many Belgian strongs, linger after the liquid has actually left your mouth for a long time. It’s a very strong finish. A little bit of the 10% abv comes out in the taste. But it’s a charming booziness, much like a favorite Uncle on Thanksgiving.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Very easy on newcomers to Belgian styles. Won’t be grossed out by too much flotsam. Has a lightness and crispness to it that will pair well with a summer day.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer for what it was. Again, the balance is a little weird in the taste. Definitely an improvement on a pretty boring beer: Fat Tire. I wouldn’t go out of my way to look for it, but I would probably buy it again if it popped up and my pocketbook was feeling heavier than normal. I don’t think I’d really like to drink more than one at a time. So, grab a 22 oz. and share it with a friend.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Amber/gold with a light head.
s - Sweet, it smells like honey
t - Reminded me of mixed fruit juice. A little tart, not super exciting but very, very individual. It taste like clover honey.
m - syrupy and crisp.
o - one of my favorites. Easy good drinking. Sweet and tart, one of a kind.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Aged for 1 year on my closet floor. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy amber color. Not much head.

N: Sweet malts, some pear. At this point I'm worried that the beer will be too sweet.

T/M: Some sweet malts up front. Hops and pear have faded into this really nice, tannic-tasting pear flavor, like pear peel. Boozy.

O: I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It aged really well.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bomber into New Belgium globe glass.
A- Copper amber color with slight head that dissipates quickly
S- Fat Tire with a belgian twist
T- Malty start with pears and a heavy alcohol bite to finish. Belgian yeast very apparent and the saison shows through
M- A bit heavy. Leaves a lingering film
O- A good beer. Not the greatest but appreciate New Belgium thinking outside the box with their Lips of Faith series

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last