Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This pleasing, two-part, potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.

Added by chumba526 on 08-06-2011

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ

A: The pour is very dark brown, almost black, with a small layer of tan foam.

S: The nose is lightly lightly tart. But, it's mostly just the kind of acidity you get in overly roasty beers. So, it smells just sort of like poorly made stout. A little bit of cocoa and coffee aroma on the back end.

T: It's pretty much the same story on the palate. There is a fair amount of roasted malt with just a mild fruit note. Again, it's mildly tart and acidic. Just very "meh".

M: The body is quite thin with only medium carbonation.

O: Very disappointing. I like the sour stout idea, but this one wasn't executed well.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

Murky brown, half-inch lasting head eventually dies. Toffee head with excellent lacing.

Dark fruits, raisin, grape.

Fruit is in the background. Foreground is a diluted (for 9%), ashy beer with no really interesting qualities.

Bit of sour on the finish, wouldn't call this a sour though (says it's a dark sour). If it's a stout it's not really championing that category either. Light mouthfeel, medium to low carbonation.

Good, but, I'm used to drinking world class baby.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Pours nice deep brown with very little head. There is only a thin ring of khaki head left along the edges of my CBS snifter.

S: This beer smells of malt, bead, plums, raisins, and just a touch of dark chocolate. It's extremely interesting.

T: The initial hit is sweet malt and soggy bread. But that first blast quickly shifts to sour, sour, sour. It's actually more like sour mixed with soggy bread. There is some notes of stone fruit in there but in all honesty, this beer reminds me of a boozier, more tart kvass. It's a bit wacky.

M: Medium bodied beer. It starts off nice and wet, but finishes sour and a bit dry.

O: I sincerely don't know what to made of this beer. Do I like it? Do I hate it? I'm not sure. Some of the flavors seem a bit off, and for that reason I can't rate it higher. I don't think it's terrible, but I won't be trying to score another bottle of this.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Picked this bottle up at Whole Foods on P Street a ways back. Shared at Jared's dinner party a week or so back. Wine glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a fairly-dark brown color with a short off-white head and a touch of lacing on the way down. The nose brings some light roast and chocolate. Pretty plain without any real indication of anything wild. The flavor is along the same lines. Really tame and plain. It doesn't have the alcohol I'd expect from a beer of this size, though it doesn't really have the flavor either. Boring.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Enjoyed a 1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. bottle of this brew w/ GeoffTheAleMan from Randall's Wine & Spirits in Fairview Heights, IL for $8.99. Poured from the Clutch Bottle w/ the Sun blowing wind onto the Symbol, all in gold into a 0,47l New Belgium Oversized Snift Glass and Does NOT have a Freshness Date on the bottle! (Strange for a Lips of Faith brew...)

Aroma- Strong prunes and chocolate that has been melted down starts out this aroma. Has a metallic backend though... Did not appreciate this characteristic! Otherwise, much different that what I had on-tap already!

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that has above par head retention. Body is the deepest brown you can get and opaque. Leaves thick lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Very roasty and has this chocolate flavor again! Light sour finish but the roastiness and malt overpowers this. Light hop bitterness in here as well. TOO complexed for what the style should be...

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Light Carbonation, and has a decent sour finish! Roasted malt plays a big part in the finish also.

Overall Impression- Much better then on-tap! Still not sure what the hell I'm supposed to be drinking, so this makes it tough to give it any good remarks... Wouldn't care if I never saw this brew again! Not a good one to let a friend try while they are trying to get into the "sour styles". I'm sure you all can agree with me on this one!

3.09/5  rDev -16.3%

I fear I may have popped this open a bit too cold. I love NB sour beers, so when I saw this, I had to pick it up. I think this misses the mark... and I'm not 100% sure what they were going for here. The beer isn't very stout and the beer isn't very sour. There's noting interesting in the blend either. You'd think that a beer like this would never err on the side of too boring, but this manages to do it. Strange. Served from a 22 oz. bomber into a Maudite snifter.

The beer is a blackened brown with almost no head. The lack of carbonation and head really detracts from the looks of the beer. This just doesn't have what I want.

The beer doesn't have a potent nose. There's a dirty and chalky element that comes from the stout. Not much along the claimed chocolate lines. There's a nondescript sweetness back there, but it's just not coming forth. Maybe I popped this too cols.

The taste is somewhat better. The stout portion is just too smooth. I want more bite. I want more black. I want more bitter. I get none of this. There's a hint of the beautiful NB Love in the background. I want more. This beer is a solid idea, but it keeps me wanting more. Thankfully, since it's well made, the beer is smooth and drinkable. There's not a strong booze presence. It's going down pretty quickly. However, the interest just isn't there. Maybe it reminds me of 1554 in that manner.

This beer let me down, but I'm not dreading finishing it. With the NB Love base, they surely could have done a lot more. Oh, well.

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A two finger tan head forms, and gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Some nice lace is left behind.
S: Not much in the nose. Roasted malt, dry burnt toast, light vinegar aromas.
T: Again, lots of roast, dry toast, and some chocolate comes through. More vinegary than the nose. Some acidic twang. An odd mesh.
M/D: A medium to full body with moderate carbonation. Alcohol is noticeable with some burn, add the odd mesh of flavors and this is a slow sipper.

Nice try, but misses the mark. I have had several stout/sour combos, and have never really cared for them. This is no different. Worth a try just to try something unique, but a one and done.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Pours black with two fingers of brown head that recedes into a thin layer with little lacing.

S: Roasted malts up front followed by some sweet creamy chocolate. There are some slightly acidic, sour aromas underlying the chocolate, but they're surprisingly faint.

T: Again, roasted malts hit at first with some smokey and bitter notes. A strong sourness follows, reminiscent of lemons. The finish is tart from the sourness and bitter from the roasted malts. The different aspects of this beer are a bit jarring.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a bit oily feeling on the palate.

O: An interesting and unique, but not particularly good beer. I like the idea of a sour stout, but the flavors just clash and never meld very well.

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Looks great. Dark brown. Several shades from black. 1 finger head that stays around a minute. Not much on lacing as it goes down. Looks thick and you can see bits of sediment.

S- Smells pretty much like a stout or foreign stout. Some mild roasted malt notes, with some mild chocolate and molasses notes. No detection of anything sour. Rather light on the nose.

T- Again, follows through with the smell. All characteristics being mild. Along with some bready notes and a tinge of lemon zest. Starts off stout and finishes with just a hint of a sour note that can be missed if you're not paying attention.

M- Med-light body with low carb. Not too thin. A little creamy. Has a nice dry finish.

O- A dark sour ale without the sour. Very disappointed with this brew. Maybe more time will make it more sour, but I don't think I'll revisit this one.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Served in a snifter at Plainfield's Tap House.

The Accidental Highway to Hell Tour continues on, and at a new venue no less! This stop pours a very dark black-brown topped by a finger of sandy dark tan foam. The nose comprises light roasted malts, very light pineapple, light red apple skin, dark chocolate, and light pumpkin seeds. The taste holds notes of red apple skin, very light roasted malts, chocolate, light pineapple, figs, and few beans' worth of coffee. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a smooth feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, though I applaud the originality and all that, I cannot say that I am a fan of this beer. The flavors don't quite meld together properly, and things end up too thin and whatnot. Just not my thing, really.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a pitch black color with a two finger head with crazy lacing into my bruery tulip. Aroma of smoky malts and coffee with a hint of infection. Taste follows the nose, slightly tart and very sugary. Smoked malts are there but the sweetness overpowers. This is not an easy beer to drink, it's under attenuated and not a great beer, I'm glad I tried this but I will never seek out this beer again.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle, New Belgium glass, "Best enjoyed by May 6, 2018".

Chocolate, funk, and cherry. It has a s'more and vanilla thing going on, making it smell like a hearty stout with a little something different going on.

Lots of chocolate, which quickly transitions to cherry, funk, wet dirt. The funk is enduring and has a dirty, wet character that I've never encountered.

It is certainly lighter that it's stout roots. Medium thin body and its pretty carbonated.

I'm pretty iffy about this one after tasting it. Perhaps it's me, perhaps it could develop more.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

EEYAAW. EEYAAW. EYAAAWW!!! I'am a rock n roll outlaw drinking CLUTCH poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

A light coffee colored, and creamy head is presented sitting on a very black body. Head falls normaly with some leopard like spotty lacing.

Bouquet is a faint barleywine like booze with some fruit. Bigger whiffs on my nose actually hurt. Mild cocoa, no sense of sour but mostly berry fruit.

Taste is weird. Berry slight sour but extremely thin for even an American stout. Wet, with flat box juice texture. Fruit dominant with little else to taste here. Finish has nearly no flavor. A basicaly thin weak box lunch juice grape.

Overall where's the malt? roast? Coffee? Chocolate? Hello? Hey I know it is mentioned as a dark sour but can i get a little something extra??? I'm not even minding the mild sourness (borderline tart) of this even though I am not a sour/stout fan, but there is nothing stout like in taste that is particularly enjoyable to me, this is not what I look for in a stout. Love the band, the beer not so much, it feels dyslexic and having an identity crisis. Maybe I am a bit harsh, I seem to keep drinking it as it gets to room temp. Perhaps this is my last dark sour review ever.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

This pours black with a short dark tan head with a little lace. On the nose there is coffee, chocolate, and sour apple, a strange combination that seems to work pretty well. In the mouth it's a very strange sensation, like a candy apple but with chocolate rather than caramel. As it warms, the tartness hits the tongue first with the chocolate coming later. Once it fades the tart apple comes back in for a long finish. The body is medium, or perhaps a bit thinner than that, but definitely within the range of what I'd expect.

Overall, this is a somewhat bizarre beer but it melds pretty well to my taste. I wouldn't go nuts to find this but for $6.99 sitting on the shelf I'll get this again.

EDIT - Had this again at a tasting on 21 January, 2012, and it was pretty lackluster in the taste department. The odd flavor combination just didn't work for me this time.

Lips Of Faith - Clutch Collabeeration from New Belgium Brewing