Lips Of Faith - Kick | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Lips Of Faith - KickLips Of Faith - Kick

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Wild Ale

New Belgium and Elysian are together again with Kick, a rich and tart pumpkin cranberry ale blended with wood-aged beer for a uniquely complex harvest season sour.

Added by GilGarp on 08-10-2011

Reviews: 209 | Ratings: 422
2.01/5  rDev -47.2%

S: Cranberry tartness with some pumpkin spices. Unfortunately, sort of smells like bile with this combination.

L: Hazy, light orange, not much head.

T: Tastes similar to how it smells. Tart cranberry malt with some spiciness. Touch of lactic acid near the finish. Quite sweet finish with a touch of lactic sourness.

M: Medium high carbonation, medium mouthfeel.

Not that good, flavors just don't work. Tart and sour don't work with pumpkin, i got flashbacks of college and bile pouring out of my mouth.

2.29/5  rDev -39.9%

Thanks goes to wisconsinality and KHM for plunking down the ducketts for this bottle. Split into tulips.

A: Rather clear rusty amber orange hue. Solid amount of beige head. Soapy lace left behind.

S: Not much to pick put here. Faint tartness from the cranberry and a bit of malt sweetness. No pumpkin or spice to speak of.

T: Very blah. A mild hint of sourness that could honestly be my imagination playing with me. After that all I get is a bland malt bill that reminds me of weak home brew. No cranberry or pumpkin.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation.

O: To say I'm disappointed with this one is an understatement. I had high hopes from NB combining to awesome flavors. Sadly it fell amazingly flat in my opinion.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Tangerine colored beer with a small white head.

Smells sour with a mushroom or mildew funk. Faint pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Some vanilla and some oak but mostly sour.

Starts out quite sour. A little mushroom taste but I have a hard time tasting anything except the sourness it is quite strong. Just plain sour, yuck.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, this is a drain pour. If I wanted something this sour I can suck on a lemon.

Addendum. I didn't actually drain pour this and tried it again after a few other beers. And....it still sucks. Yes I know Poo Pooing a popular beer isn't politically correct but in my Opinion...This beer just plain sucks.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is 2012's sour pumpkin ale made as a collaboration between New Belgium's Kim Jordan and Elysian's Dick Cantwell (also see my review of He Said by Cantwell.) It was made with 75% ale with pumpkins and cranberry juice, and 25% ale aged in wooden barrels. I couldn't find out if there was any wine or booze in the barrels. I tried this ale last year at a brewclub meeting and really hated it, but kept my bottle hidden away in the hopes that it would improve with age.

Aroma: Sour as anything! Layered with acetic (vinegar) sourness and wild yeast sourness. There is a musty forest floor aroma as swirled. No spicing noted. Some pineapple aromas as it warms.

Appearance: Deep golden color with a slight haze. Small white head with large bubbles.

Flavor: Sharp bitterness up front and a strong sour zing. I taste the pineapple esters from the Brettanomyces. Tart cranberry and an astringent earthy note. This has a very thin body and ends dry and raspy on the tongue.

Overall: I'm not a huge fan. There isn't much to this other than SOUR! Lacks complexity that I look for in sour beers and I don't get much pumpkin through that tartness. I do like it better than last year (dumped) but still didn't have more than half a glass before I let it go. A bit disappointed with New Belgium and Dick Cantwell for this one--it should have been amazing based on most of their other projects.

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

An autumn offering on the Lip of Faith series. These seem to be coming out more frequently.

Pours a bright, light, clear orange/reddish color. Soapy, loose, splotchy white head. Looks like soda.

Slightly sour, lactic aroma. Tannin. Didn't detect any malt or hops. That's strange for me, but this is a fruit beer...I guess.

Cranberries dominate here. Tannin, tart. Fruity and floral. Some hints of spice, but nothing that evokes pumpkin from me. A bit vanilla and wood. Puckery a bit on the feel. Sweet. Somewhat fungal aftertaste with lactic acid jumping around

I hope this is an experimental beer and they improve on it later. It's just not very good to me. drain pour

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured an amber orange color with a little bit of the cranberry reddish color peeking through. It had a thin white head that faded down to a scant lacing after a minute or so.

The aroma has very tart, sour cranberry thing going on. It's a little sharp with some vinegar notes definitely present. I don't find it a pleasant sourness though unfortunately. The vinegary, tart cranberry flavor didn't work for me at all.

The taste shows more of the sharp, tart, sourness to it right off the bat. Midway the cranberries start to come out with bringing more of a dry, tart, fruity flavor with it. It's a little vinegary in the finish as well. Again the flavors just didn't work for me at all unfortunately.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Overall I didn't really care for it. The sourness seemed to lack any real depth or character beyond the sharp, tart cranberry flavor. It seemed a little vinegary to me as well and almost felt more like a beer gone bad rather than an intentional sour. I usually love sours and American wilds, this one however isn't one that I enjoyed unfortunately.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

I allowed this one to mellow for about a year and it obviously did not do any good. The appearance was the of a nice red tinted ale. There was not a significant amount of head. Bearing in mind that two fruits are identified with this brew, there was a strong cranberry aroma. This aroma was very honest based on the taste. Shockingly, this tasted like a cranberry juice sparkler. It made mean wonder if Ocean Spray gets any of the royalties on this one.There were vanilla notes and some woodiness, but no attention grabbers. The sour in the cranberries really comes through in the aftertaste. This certainly did not taste barrel aged, and came across as an imitation of a sour. I did not notice any pumpkin.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

New Belgium Brewing Lips Of Faith Kick is tart.

It poured dark straw with a short-lived two-finger bubbly white head. It left a strong and thick web of lace on the glass. The aroma was metallic. I'm not sure whether "tart" is a flavor or feel, but that's all either the taste or mouthfeel had -- mouth puckering tartness.

2.72/5  rDev -28.6%

Enjoyed on-tap at Harry's Hofbrau in San Jose.

Sits an opaque pale tangerine color with hardly any head on top. Sour orange aroma with some cranberry and maybe cherry. Orange taste kicks this off followed by sour sugar and cranberry. Some pale malt is in there somewhere. A bit mouth puckering and sweet. Feels thin and dry, lightly carbonated. Delicate mouthfeel.

This is almost great, but not quite. I expected a little more complexity in the nose. There needs to be a bit more balance to the sour sweetness. Then again, I'm not much of a Supplication fan either, so take that as you will. I really enjoyed the cranberry, but I didn't get any pumpkin in this at all. Which isn't really a bad thing in my opinion. I just found it strange that the orange characteristics completely supplanted the pumpkin characteristics. I'm a little confused and bitter about this beer, despite the fact that this beer should have been a little more bitter than it was.

2.79/5  rDev -26.8%

appearance: pours a clear, pale amber, moderately carbonated, creamy foam, dissipating into a creamy film of lacing on the glass.

smell: cranberry notes are predominant, not much particularly discernible in the undertones except for a light maltiness.

taste: begins tart and tangy with the taste of the cranberry juice coming forward, notes of pumpkin lie in the undertones of the taste, but yields to a sharply tart dry-hop bitterness in the finish.

overall: unique, but hard to assess otherwise on the overall; part of it comes off as an ale that just has cranberry juice added to it, but part of it comes off as a pumpkin ale with an atraditional infusion that seems to enhance the flavor; trying to stay somewhat neutral on this one, you're going to love it or you're going to hate it.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Pale amber.

S: The smell is quite subtle. Hints of oak, tartness, and a fruity (almost candied) sweetness.

T: Mildly tart, cranberry candy with a hay-like aftertaste. There is no hint of actual pumpkin flavor but a strong resemblance to a thinner, sweeter pumpkin ale.

M: Thin, with a slight syrupy feel on the tongue.

O: Had this on tap a few months back and I remember it being slightly better and more tart. Regardless, it's a fairly enjoyable fruit brew but could use a bit more sourness to balance the flavor.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a hazy orange-golden with a white head an nice lacing. A tart and slightly sweet funky aroma with a comparable flavor profile. The tart side of the cranberry shows itself in the front a little sweeter in the rear with some flavor of fresh, raw pumpkin peaking through if I looked for it. Mildly funky throughout. The pumpkin works mosty in the mouthfeel, giving it a nice meaty medium body to this. Overall, a decent brew. Nothing earth shattering that I will rush to try again but enjoyed getting to try it.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Look: Orange in color and no head at all

Smell: Hint of cranberries and sour funk

Taste: The beer starts out with the sour funk but it is very mild and then the cranberries take over and it's sweet overload and I found that a bit too much. The beer finishes with off with a pinch of pumpkin

Mouthfeel: Is a bit thin and medium to low carbonation

Overall: Not very impressed

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

A little underwhelmed with the beer- almost taste like it went bad- albeit I see the reviews are calling it a very sour beer. The beer poured well, nice 1" frothy white head over a light amber cloudy beer with some good carbination. You can smell and taste the sourness. It taste like unsweetened lemon to me, with perhaps the cranberry bitterness at the end. With that said, the 8.5% ABV is hidden in the sourness. I really did not like how the Frambozen from New Belgium went so sour, and this is very similar.
Note that I am not big on sour beers, so if that is your thing- then drink away.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Pretty standard-looking beer in appearance, not at all betraying its wild, experimental origins. (75% ale brewed with pumpkin and cranberry, 25% ale aged in wooden barrels) Thin white head, doesn't last long, and the color is a gold of nearly total clarity, and with just a shade of red within it. Gobs of lace, and whole sheet of the stuff.

Weird, smells kind of lager-y, with no real hint of the pumpkin or wood, but a definite generic sourness seems to be the cranberries poppin'. I don't mean this to be insulting, but it has that kind of ho-hum smell that various Magic Hat experiments have. Just sayin'.

I'm getting a bit of wood in the flavor, and a lot of tart cranberry, and just a bit of a vanilla kiss (more like a peck) and more fruity characteristics, like green apple and gooseberry. But I get none of the pumpkin, and that's disappointing. There's a sweet spice character that reminds me of the same sort of spices you get in a pumpkin ale, but really, that pumpkin flavor, as subtle as it may be, should really be here. It's not. Lemon rind pucker in the finish. Body is light and crisp, although also pretty sticky, which keeps that tart/sour citrus rind thing riding out for a long time. An almost vodka-like character to the alcohol, not eye-poppingly hot like that, but a clean and breezy warmth that draws the comparison.

Worth a try, because it's a damn original idea, but really, you're all tasting pumpkin in this? C'mon now. Maybe I just lost my mind because of the 12 pumpkins leering at me from the bottle (I love a quality higher ABV pumpkin ale, I do), and didn't consider the cranberry or wood character enough. Thought it was an amazing idea, and it still is, but I'm afraid the Great Pumpkin isn't ever gonna show in Kick, Linus. Good grief.

[I always try and drink most beers a degree or two under the recommend temp...I want those flavors to pop like a mother. After some warming I got a fleshy, earthy tone that may just be the pumpkin peeking through...so, okay Linus, maybe you saw that Great Pumpkin behind the cloud cover, peeking and leering and teasing...but still...]

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Had a glass of this one from my wife's bomber. Poured a clear orange amber with a small lasting amber head. Aromas of straw, sour citrus, light pumpkin, light barnyard and light cranberry. Palate was light bodied and crisp with a tart finish. Flavors of straw, sour citrus, sour apple and light spice with a crisp tart lingering sour citrus finish.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Clear, reddish-golden color. Head dwindles to a ring around the inside of the glass.

Aroma of sour cranberries, red wine, grapes.

Flavor begins with cranberry tartness. Fades into cherry candy essence and adjunct-style maltiness.

Mouthfeel is very strange. At first, the body of the beer seems light due to the tartness. Then an odd meatiness and tannin-laden tongue coating descends upon the palate, rendering all flavors void and unable to be enjoyed.

Disappointing in general. Whatever phenomenon is taking place in this beer that leads to the thick, tongue-coating, mucus-generating chemistry - it needs to be remedied. Something is not quite working out in this experiment.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

I must say I'm a little bias when reviewing this beer. I was in the mood for and thought this would be a normal pumpkin beer. I didn't read the label close enough.
Pours a golden yellow with an inch plus quite head. Looks like a light IPA.
Smells tart fruity with a hint of pumpkin spice.
Tart cranberry with a very confused and lost pumpkin spice note. Dry finish.
I prefer a touch tighter carbonation in my sours, but not bad.
I'm still mad this isn't a traditional pumpkin beer. Would it kill anyone not on the east coast to brew normal pumpkin ales?

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Nice amber color with a modest head and some creaminess in the carbonation. Seems like a very simple, tart light beer. It's a nice accessible sour flavor, but nose is still vinegar. Very light body. Not much malt flavor comes through the acidity. A tasty fruitiness, but if it's cranberries as advertised it just accentuate the sharpness to the point of tedium. It may be the power of suggestion, but in the aftertaste I do get a hint of squash or pumpkin. Fortunately no pie spice.

If you've ever tasted Elysian's bottled beers you may wonder why New Belgium would pick them for a collaboration. This one seems like a lot of trouble (not to mention expense for the purchaser) for a minimum of pleasure.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

I have been drinking my fair share of fruit beers lately and have enjoyed them for the most part. This beer unfortunately, didn't do it for me.

A: From a hard pour into a standard pint glass came a 1 finger, soapy white head that exhibited some lacing. Body of the beer displayed a transparent orange core with yellow edges.

S: I detected a high level of citrus, damp cranberries, some herbs and subtle malts.

T: Strong tart opening that did fade nicely, although what it faded too wasn't anything special. I couldn't taste much pumpkin or spices until the after taste due to the overwhelming white wine flavored front. Honestly, this tasted more like a Riesling, with a slightly malty aftertaste, than anything else.

M: Light, thin.

O: Not a beer I would recommend to a friend.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Pour hazy straw color and golden in color, nice white head to it.

S- Smells like steamed vegetables, some belgium yeast in the background, really not that pleasant. Just hint of cranberry in the background.

T- Some of the sweetness of the pumpkins come through, The most pronounced flavor is the cranberry flavor that is tart in taste. The tartness is really savory, and the yeasty flavor is pronounced too, but pretty mild.

M- Strong carbonation, mild mouth-feel, not much to say.

O- Overall I would not rate this a pumpkin/Halloween beer. There are some nice qualities but overall I'm rating this beer as a pumpkin beer, that is sour. What it is a nice cranberry sour.

3.17/5  rDev -16.8%

Bottle. Pours a slighlty cloudy amber copper color with a slight collared head. Slightly lemon and cranberry notes in the nose. Medium mouthfeel with carbonation. Some pumpkin notes but pretty slight, which I like, along with cranberry. Not as sweet as expected. Overall, I was rather let down by this one. Just not as good as I thought it would be.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Crystal clear and radiant pumpkin orange, with a small head that leaves sparse lacing. The aroma brings some squash flavors, along with a touch of alcohol, malt, and spice. The flavor is spicy, mostly cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg. Pumpkin pie, but a bit too sweet. The cranberry flavor is there, but sweetness prevails over tartness. An overall lack of a cohesion. A bit cloying, I can't imagine drinking much more than a snifter sized portion of this. Sweet and fruity, with moderately low carbonation. Ok stuff, but I wouldn't seek this out again. I have had it twice now, and been unimpressed on both occasions.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, on to the beer:

Looks pale orange in the glass, giving a little bit of lacing. The nose features some apricot and a hint of nail polsih remover. Its taste is sweet and sour with some nail polish remover. Cranberry is hinted. Still, the overall flavor is a little rough at times with its sharpness. Call it an okay beer.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Enjoyed on tap at Rustico in Alexandria for the introduction of New Belgium to DC!

Clear yellow pour without much head. The smell is fruity and spicy. Pumpkin and cranberries certainly come out. Very sweet. Light, simple taste. Fruits, spice, alcohol. As the beer warms maybe
a hint a Brett is coming thru. Carbonated well. Alcohol is certainly noted. Dry finish. Nothing special. Sort of an off putting aftertaste.

Lips Of Faith - Kick from New Belgium Brewing