Belgo Belgian India Pale Ale | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by iSip on 10-07-2011

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%

A: It has a nice golden appearance, with a fluffy white head. The lacing is very nice. Substantially clear.

S: I get immediate hop scents, in the form of mostly citrus. There's a funky smell to this, borders on mold. I'm not saying it's moldy, just that there is a smell...it doesn't have a rotten or bad smell...it just has this presence that mold smells like. I don't pick up too much of that "Belgian yeast" scent or esters.

T: The flavor is a bit heavier than other Belgian IPAs. There is a lot of grain flavor in this beer, with some background of candy-like flavors. The hop bitterness is towards the back, and not overpowering. The taste seems to be a bit unbalanced though. I appreciate that the alcohol is hidden in this beer.

M: The mouthfeel is a bit thicker than what I expected. The bitterness is good in the mouth, and the carbonation is good as well. The beer just does not feel dry enough. It's unfortunate.

O: Overall I thought it wasn't too bad of a beer. The beer tastes like a close approximation of a Belgian IPA, but just doesn't quite hit the mark. I probably wouldn't drink it again. It's better than many beers out there, but it just tastes unfinished!

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a clear honey color with two fingers of white head that fades into a dense cap with good lacing.

S: Belgian notes dominate the nose, bursting with aromas of bubblegum, candy sugar, and pears. There are some floral and citrus notes towards the finish from the hops.

T: Bubblegum, candy sugar, and light Belgian spice notes up front followed by grapefruit and pine flavors from the hops. The finish is grassy and lightly bitter with a sweet Belgian aftertaste.

M: Medium body with highish, frothy carbonation, this beer is fairly crisp and clean.

O: A good beer, all around, and at a solid price. Definitely one of the better Belgian IPAs I've had, though I'd like a bit crisper body and more hop presence in the nose.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Draught served in a shaker pint, half finger head.

Blood orange in color, maybe it was the lighting, carbonation was not overdone, but not perfect.

S: Floral, hoppy, and boozy

T: Hops, herbs, piney notes, and a boozy, bitter finish

M: Perfect, not watery at all.

Overall, not a bad beer at all. Definitely sessionable, but not my first choice at all. IPA's still are not my thing, but naturally I have understood why they are so popular.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a gold color with a nice one finger off white head. Excellent lacing on the side of my snifter glass. It's fairly clear in appearance. The nose is really nice- peach, pear, spice, hops- really extremely balanced, and very nice. The flavor is the same profile, but it's not as complex as the best Belgians in this style. Feel is nicely carbonated, with a very dry fruity finish. Overall, this is a solid beer, but you can find better in the style. Cheers.

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a clear, dark gold with a persistent albeit flat head. Complex, spicy, grassy aroma with notes cinnamon fades to an aroma of cooked canned vegetables. Tastes a little better than it smells. Nicely peppery and spicy hop flavors mingle well with Belgian yeast esters, but the lingering aroma of cooked cauliflower lingers and spoils it a bit. I do appreciate the lean body and dry finish though.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a sixer today, on sale at local grocery.
I really like this style and the Hubulon Chouffe is my standard to judge by.
Pours a Super-foamy amber tone. Tons of head, this is a very carbonated brew. Looks great.
Smells of peppery yeast upfront.In a big way.Soured banana, pear, pepper,clove, bread, sweet citrus, funky tart and sweet all in one.Not detecting so much in the way of hoppiness upon initial smell.A second smell takes care of that-citrus, bitter hop note, grapefruit, nice hoppy bite. This beer really needs a few minutes to open up.
Flavor is upfront fruit-think pear, citrus, banana, accented by a nice note of grain, pepper, coriander, hoppy on the finish. I pick up on a nice earthy rustic, yet "american" hops flavor overall.
It is a really nice balance of Belgian mustiness, sweet malty fruitiness mixed with the citric bite of American hops. Carbonation is medium, finishing with a nice tingling spice.
Good brew, good to see New Belgium is still creating good beers

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours golden with cap of white foam.

S: Banana and clove phenols with a dash of weak citrus hops.

T: Same here. Citrus hops are there for a flash then get lost in weak Belgian-y yeast.

D: Not particuarily enjoyable, but the carbonation is about right and the alcohol is well hidden.

Overall: I have not had many good beers in this style. They too often lean too far on the funky, or hoppy side. This is a bit too yeasty, with little solid hop character.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

A-Good looking mix of Belgian and Pale Ale, slightly cloudy. Nice bubbles on the top and the bubbles lace the glass.
S-Earthy smell, not my favorite but OK
T-Better then the smell, good hoppy bitterness but muted by the Belgium yeast. It like the hops start to kick in but then fall off. Think of it as an IPA that is less "edgy."
M-Clean, long lasting, just right.
O-New Belgium does a solid job of making consistently good brews. I flew with one of their sales reps and he comped me a free beer so I try and pick up a 6 pack from time to time. This is a solid beer for pizza to make every bite of a good pie, a great experience.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Got a six pack of this stuff, and the little bastards keep foaming up on me. I guess that just indicates a good yeast presence in the bottle.

looks great. Finger of head which slowly subsides. Brilliant orange color, and pretty clear.

The belgian character overpowers the hop aroma for me, but that may be because my beer intake focuses on the hoppier beers, and I'm used to it. Smells good.

Good taste. Sweet fruity taste of the belgian yeast balances well with the hops.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for me. I would ideally prefer something a bit thicker, maybe the Stone Cali-Belgique. Good carbonation though.

Overall, I like this beer. Very drinkable, and probably one of New Begium's better creations since they started using more hops. (They have the Belgian part down, that's for sure.)

I recommend it. I've had better Belgian IPAs (again, stone), but for the price and availability, this is a really good beer.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Best by date is 4/8/12.

A. Pours a clear golden copper with a two finger width off white head. Dissipates at a moderate pace, leaving a bubbly layer of foam and speckled lacing.

S. Some hops are present here, but I'm really noticing the earth, funky yeast. The two blend together in an odd way, but it seems to work as far as i can tell.

T. Bitter hops up front and then it smooths out into the earthy yeast fla or. There is a strong malt body as well.

M. Medium bodied, fairly well carbonated.

O. This is my first foray into Belgian IPAs. I did enjoy this, but I don't know that it's a style I would reach for very often. Still, a nice brew.

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%