Belgo Belgian India Pale Ale | New Belgium Brewing

Added by iSip on 10-07-2011

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

Best by 04APR12

Pours a nice golden ale with a finger of fine, white foam. Excellent clarity. Smells of classic belgian yeast with hint of funk and earthy hops. No citrus, or fruit in the nose for me, yeast and earthy, grassy hops.

The yeast is what takes me first, with a medicinal quality in it and an odd, obscure flavor I remember, but can't finger. It reminds me of the aftertaste of some kind of medicine it seems I keep gravitating toward. I don't really get any kind of hop presence, but my tongue is perplexed by the aforementioned flavor.

Medium on thin with moderate carb and some decent slick on the finish. This beer has the one flavor that kills it for me overall in this beer, wish I could pinpoint it, but nonetheless, it's a no go for me.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

The beer is slightly cloudy, probably from the yeast. I poured it slightly heavy so perhaps that is what created the nice head. But it looks pretty decent/ nice.

It smells wonderful. I love when a good yeast can come through like that. Especially with the hops being so prevalent.

he taste is a lot more bitter hop than yeast. The belgian yeast is a little more of an after thought. Still a nice touch. I feel like the alcohol is coming through quite a bit.

Overall this beer is pretty decent. I probably wouldn't go pick it up at the store over any of the other beers I like to get somewhat regularly, but would enjoy this in a mix pack or if someone offered me one.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Golden copper with a 1 finger head that leaves a light lacing around the glass. High clarity within the beer's body. Looks like a solid ipa. Thought it would have been a little more "spicy" looking.

Aroma - Light citrus with some farmhouse funk. Some spices pull through and smells a little more like a Belgium than it looked

Mouthfeel - Crisp, light, refreshing.

Taste - Surprisingly funky. Definitely hop forward and can taste the Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe and Cascade hops like a good west coast ipa. The back end is funky and dry like a farmhouse ale. Dig that straw bready dryness. No booziness at all.

Overall - I felt like I was mixing 2 different beers here. Impressed with the balance between hoppiness and funkiness. Very crisp and refreshing. Very sessionable even with the higher ABV. It is usually a hit or miss with New Belgium and I would definitely hit this again.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a New Belgium chalice it deliver a substantial head that left good lacing as it dissipated. Dark amber in appearance.

this reminded me more of NB's Abbey than it did of an IPA. To me, the hops were there but not a substantial part of the ease profile. Here the Belgium yeasts are the dominant taste and they deliver,

I was going to try to follow this with another IPA for a taste comparison but I put that one back as I didn't think I could appreciate it after the Belgo, although I did treat myself to a second Belgo.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

BB April 22, 2013

Beer is golden in colour with a large white head. Dissipates at a relatively slow pace leaving a bunch of sticky lacing.

Hops and Belgian yeast are immediately noticeable in the nose. Very floral, a bit soapy and a bit of citrus. Light fruit scents are strong, along with lots of sugar. A very very sweet smelling beer, to the point where it smells a little bit like fruit-flavoured candy. However, with this reservation, generally a very nice smelling beer.

Rather similar to an pale wheat ale. Huge bubblegum flavour with surrounding bitterness, especially at the end. The sweet bubblegum flavour and the bitterness do not mingle very well but remain remarkably distinct from one another and are not complimentary. The beer has a soapy flavour to it, and some grapefruit flavour is present. Some spice and other fruit flavours are there as well.

Moderate to high carbonation, good for the style. Medium bodied. Dries out the mouth quite a bit, and feels a bit sticky.

Overall, this beer has some good qualities, but the taste is only average for a Belgian IPA. It is not nearly in the same league as gems such as Lupulus or Duvel Triple Hop. The Belgian and IPA aspects are not well integrated but seem to be in conflict with one another.

Belgo Belgian India Pale Ale from New Belgium Brewing