Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Doodler on 11-02-2011

3.4

Poured part of a 22 oz. bottle into a Rogue Dead Guy Ale pint glass which produced a golden yellow brew with a smidge of haze and a snow white half inch of head that dwindled almost as soon as it was poured. Minor ringed lacing around the glass.

The smell is very unique, although it's definately a Belgium Ale smell. Shaken with the glass under a coaster the smell is BOLD ... I don't know a description for it. It's not malt, or fruit, or sugar, it's just a BOLD aroma. Uncovered, the brew smells like Belgium crystal sugars.

The flavor is earthy yeasts, crystal sugars, and minor malts. Minimal tartness, medium dry on the tongue, with medium low carbination. This is my 1st Saison/Farmhouse Ale and my 6th Belgium Style brew and I've come to the conclusion that basically, of the styles that I have tryed, there is just to friggin much crystal sugars for me. They remind me more of wine than beer. Don't get me wrong, I am amazed at the brewing, fermenting processes that these "brews" go through. The multiple yeasts and fermentation temperatures, the ageing and bottle conditioning is amazing, but damned; the crystal sugars just overwhelm these brews TO ME (but then....I am a redneck).

I loved Alagash Four, Westmale Trappist Dupple, and St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but while the other 5 Belgium styles that I have tryed were very complex. it all came back to the crystal sugars. Even with an open mind, alot of these "brews" are beyond what I would consider joyful drinking. The sad part for ME is that every time I go to purchase beer, it seems like some other brewer is on the "Let's brew a Belgium" bandwagon.

Ok getting down off my bandwagon. To me this brew misses on the fruity aroma and flavor. I picked up no spice and the bitterness was on the low side and the touch of sweetness was more like a shovel full.

Perhaps more cellering would make this an outstanding brew, but as I drink it right now it is a C brew at best.

Lips Of Faith - Prickly Passion Saison from New Belgium Brewing