Dig | New Belgium Brewing

good
good
Read the review
DigDig

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Spring

Added by WastingFreetime on 01-16-2012

Ratings: 1,080 |  Reviews: 236
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

I got a bottle of New Belgium's Dig that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I am always down to try a beer from New Belgium and I am interested to see how this American Pale Ale stacks up against their Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, so lets see how it goes. Best buy date of May 20th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good and is pretty fitting for this spring seasonal. It poured a nice lighter amber color that took on a bright and slightly orange amber color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and are very grainy, bready, and biscuity with slight caramel aroma. After that comes the hops which are pretty fruity, first they impart some nice citrus hop aromas with lemon rind sticking out the most, next comes the tropical fruits with mango sticking out the most. I really like the aroma of this beer, I liked the contrast between the biscuity malts and the fruity hops, it's nice and unique.

T- There is some nice balance in the flavor of this beer and it was similar to the aroma. It starts out with a good amount of medium sweet malts that impart some grainy, biscuity, and slight caramel flavor. Next up comes the hops which are nice and fruity, mostly citrus fruits show up at first with lemon rind still sticking out the most and some of those tropical fruits show up in the aftertaste with mango sticking out the most. It also had a nice amount of medium bitterness. I really liked the flavor of this beer, it had great balance and just the right amount of bitterness for a Pale Ale.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium bitterness. The mouthfeel was good, it worked well with this beer.

I really liked this beer and I thought it was a really good example of an American Pale Ale. This beer had great balance and was very true to style, with just enough hops for the style. It had very good drinkability, it went down way faster then I expected, it was refreshing and crisp, it wasn't filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention. I would be perfectly fine with drinking a six pack throughout the day. What I liked most about this beer, was just about everything, with the balance being one of the highlights of this beer. What I liked least about this beer was the fact that I can't buy it in Michigan, if I could it might be one of my go to American Pale Ales. I would for sure buy this again if I was somewhere where New Belgium was sold, but since they aren't available in Michigan, I doubt I will be having it again any time soon. I recommend this beer to just about anyone and especially if you are a fan of American Pale Ales. New Belgium came though with one damn good American Pale that I really enjoyed, I just wish I could buy it at the store, good job guys you are one solid Brewing Company and with beers as good this you can be sure that I am more than willing to try more of your different brews. When Comparing this beer to their Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, this beer comes out on top in every aspect and that makes Dig a better American Pale Ale.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. dated bottle: poured a clear, amber-gold with a small, sustained off-white foamy head.

Rather faint and restrained, there is a hint of mango fruity aroma with a more noticeable syrupy-malty aroma.

The initial taste has a soft, faintly buttery malt flavor that is complemented by mild hop bitterness that is short-lived. The hop profile is not very distinct with some hints of bittersweet tropical fruit. This comes close to an English style pale ale, but the restrained American hop profile is refreshing.

Light bodied ale with a clean, refreshing mouthfeel with zesty carbonation.

This is a good American pale ale that could have been improved with a more aggresive hop presence. This was not up to par with former spring offering, Mighty Arrow.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

4.88/5  rDev +32.6%

Wow, this is a GREAT APA!! Poured at a good temperature with a large, foamy, billowy, thick, golden tan head, that lasts a long time, and good lace. Color is a very clear orange amber with some nice bubble trails. Aroma is malt, hop, caramel, earth, spent grist, a little fruit and citrus. Flavor's much like nose, very well balanced with the bitter, sweet, and tang just right. Body is just right for this beer, a few round high points from hop and acid, full mouth. Finish is like flavor, quite short and extremely satisfying yet ready for more. Very well done.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Had this on the New Belgium tour at the brewery. Probably their best Seasonal beer yet. Made with Sorachi Ace, Cascade, and Nelson Sauvin hops.

Appearance: Brilliant amber, moderate white head of small bubbles remains and provides lacing.

Aroma: some malt, moderate lemon juice (not peel), and light tropical fruit with gooseberry

Taste: light malty, big hop flavors including lemon and mango, very slight sweetness (not bone dry),

Mouthfeel: moderately light body, creamy and crisp with a slight carbonic bite. Very light alcohol warmth.

Overall: a crisp, fruity, very refreshing lighter bodied beer with a nice balance of malt to match the Japanese/USA/New Zealand combination of hops.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium orangish copper hue with a pretty good one-inch head with good retention and lacing

S: Some burnt malts that are pretty toasty and bready; some faint citrus hop aromas finally peak through: faint pineapple, grapefruit, lemon rind, and mango--but like I said they're pretty faint

T: The hops are more prevalent in the flavors with a decent bitterness but the initial tropical flavors fade to a more slightly burnt, toast malt flavor

F: Medium body with pleasant stickiness but a bit thin on the back end

O: An okay pale ale but not balanced enough from the hop perspective; drinkable and pleasant but just not quite enoughh of what I like in my APA

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1214th Review on BA
Bottle to NB Globe
12oz

Best by: 5/6/12

App- A fairly dark orange color mixed with some darker ambers and some yellows. Had a small 1/2 finger of head with just a touch of cling to it.

Smell- Best part of the beer. Had a fairly vibrant citrus aroma with some good foresty pine balance, the nelson adds some good layered aromatics with some cascade making the final fruit notes.

Taste- Its okay. Thought it would be better. Had a fairly wet taste with a off balance sweet/spicy citrus note. Had a flavor that didnt always taste right to me. Something was lacking behind the profile.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a medium carbonation level. Residual malty damp citrus with grapefruit and pine.

Drink- After reading the hop additions on this one, I had higher hopes. Just didnt work for me. It was a bit cold in So. Cal today so might have been the wrong choice.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

Not as memorable as I hoped it would be with the Nelson S hop which I love..still a good solid easy drinking pale ale....biscuity maltiness....the signature New Belgium yeast strain is more restrained in this one and not as overpowering...still evident though which is good as it gives off a good dose of that biscuit impression.

The hops are slightly dry and not as juicy and tropical as I hoped for...a bit of lemon and orange peel.

Body is about perfect for the style...very easy drinking....nice pale ale...

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

clear copper with a nice off-white head that retains and laces well.

lots of biscuity malts with herbal hops. not getting much lemon/tropical fruit from the Sorachi Ace or Nelson Sauvin hops. I guess a bit of lemongrass and pith.

biscuity malts and a bit of sweet caramel start things off... the sweetness carries but the hops come into play adding a candy-type citrus flavor as well as some dried/sweetened tropical fruits. finishes biscuity, yet kind of crisp. good for the style.

lighter side of medium bodied with a soft carbonation and a crisp, yet sweet finish.

hmmm. It's pretty good. I would definitely never turn one of these down, though I don't see myself buying it or going out of my way for it.

Dig from New Belgium Brewing