Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Chile Beer

Added by hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Reviews: 277 | Ratings: 1,013
4.71/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into wine glass. No head whatsoever. Black color with a slight cola appearance. Smell was fantastic - dark chocolate, cinnamon, and white pepper. Taste was incredible and rich. Basically tasted like quality ibarra - bitter and sweet with a kick of spice (cinnamon, paprika, white pepper, ancho) towards the finish. Body was well carbonated, and the spice left a noticeable heat over time. Overall, a fascinating beer with flavors and characteristics that surprisingly work tremendously well together in this dark beer.

4.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I only had a few sips of my husband's glass of Cocoa Mole beer, and I became instantly jealous that I hadn't ordered one either. It made my champagne cocktail just seem meh.

I've had other mole beers or chocolate-pepper beers, but this particular one has to be the best I've had. The cocoa flavor is dominant without being harsh or too malty. Then on the back end, you get a little bit of heat. But the beer is very smooth on the palate. As it warmed up, I started to taste some fruitier flavors - currants and raisins. The next time I see this beer on draft, I'm definitely going to get my own glass.

4.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I may be biased in this review. I had this brew GABF week in 2012 in NB's private tasting room. They served it with fresh, locally made Belgian waffles. (yes, the perfect pairing!) I got to meet many of their Brewers and spent most of a Friday sampling oddities along with Felix and Oscar from their oak foeders. The new release is still great! It pours a dark brown with red highlights. Great medium brown lacing. The aroma is chocolate, cinnamon, smoke and malt. The taste is very balanced and dry with a hint of vanilla. Very little heat. The chipotle peppers contribute smoke and the cinnamon punches up the round maltiness. Mouth feel is perfect, between a dry and oatmeal stout. There is a bread-like character to this beer. However, it doesn't scream Fat Tire yeast like some of their other brews like Ranger ect. Very little hop character. Bitterness seems to come more from the cinnamon than the hops. But my guess is it's hopped with low alpha english hops. The beer was out of production for several years. It tastes as good as I remember. I highly recommend it. I've attempted to recreate it on a home brew scale, but I always miss it slightly! Thank you, New Belgium, for bringing it back!

4.67/5  rDev +17%

22 oz. bottle. Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Smallish biege head when poured vigorously into the glass. No lacing. Clear brown with ruby highlights when backlit.

Aroma of cinnamon and spicy chilies with cocoa and chocolate malt.

Taste is rum raisin with caramel and sweet chocolate. Cinnamon is assertive but not overdone. Sweet but countered by the chili heat and dark fruit. Complex brew that paired well with spicy fish tacos and beans.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body.

I was surprised to find that chili beers are a great change of pace. My favorite Mexican dish is chicken mole enchiladas so I really enjoyed this one. Hotter than Samual Adams chili bock but not nearly as hot as Sigda's from Coopersmiths. New Belgium concocted a recipe that incorporates a traditional Mexican flavor into an awesome ale. Well done!

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Presently, this is the #1 Chile Beer here on BA by a country mile. As a matter of fact, I don't see any catching up to it for a long time.

Served in a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A: This poured much darker than I was expecting: Imagine the darkest, burnt brown you can imagine without the beer being black. The head started out at about a finger, but then settled into a bunch of mocha colored clumps.

S: Wow.... This is VERY different!: Sort of a cross between spiced pulled pork and cinnamon apples. Have you ever been to IKEA? You know that distinct smell of furniture and Swedish snack bar, right? That is this brew in a nutshell.

T: I still got cinnamon apples, wood, cocoa, and more Mexican weirdness. The aftertaste I got more pine wood than anything. Still, the IKEA comparison is absolutely the perfect one to my mind. Maybe instead of pork (like I got on the nose), the brewer(s) at New Belgium were actually thinking Swedish meatballs. lol

M: I just burped a moment ago and it actually burned my throat. This brew is also spicy in the "hot" sense, which makes it multidimensional to my mind. The lacing was substantial and the cinnamon apple component lingered in a rather divine way.

O: This was one of the most memorable beers I've tasted in the last year or so. No flaws and not a trace of booze detected. I WILL try this beer again in the future... many more times.

4.66/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The bar I was at didn't have the best lighting, but it looked pretty dark with tannish head. Pretty good lacing going on as well.

S: A LOT of spicy cinnamon nutmeg going on here. Definitely picked up on the chocolate and some cacao. Good toast from the malts and a bit of carmel. Nice wood/smoke when settled.

T: Basically everything in the nose but a little bit of the wood/smoke is more present, but in a great balance.

M: Medium-full bodied. Very nice level of carbonation. Finish stays pretty much the same as you get in in the taste.

O: A great beer. I'll definitely be going back for more.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was saving my 100th review for the BCBS I bought on Black Friday, but this beer was so good that I couldn't hold back. A sort of premature ratulation, if you will.

Got a growler filled at the local bottle shop. Enjoyed all 32 oz.!

Very dark beer with a creamy head and good lacing. This beer was a lot like a great chocolate stout or porter with a peppery kick. Some cherry and cinnamon notes. The finish is spicy, and it lingers...and lingers...and lingers. I loved it.

Full bodied with little carbonation.

This beer was a lot of fun.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

On-tap at Taste of Tops in Tempe, AZ.

A: Dark brown in the glass but a beautiful deep, brownish red when held up to light. A bit of lace and a bubbly ring of white foam around the edge. Foamy, quickly-fading off-white head when swirled around the glass.

S: Lightly roasted malt, cinnamon, fruity-holiday spice, chocolate. Awesome.

T: Fantastically unique. Fruity, malty, spicy. Complex yet simply delicious. Great stuff.

M: Smooth with tons of flavor. Easy to drink. Leaves a pleasant taste on the palate. No alcohol presence whatsoever.

O: An amazing beer. Great cold straight out of the tap or warm after some time sitting. The hype is real on this one. Easily the best Chile Beer I've had although it seems to fall into another style. New Belgium really knows how to brew these "Lips of Faith" beers. I would without hesitation order this again.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Dark, coppery brown; black tea.

S: Heavy cinnamon, faint chocolate.

T: An initial cinnamon kick with a wash of chocolate. The heat from the chilies builds gradually and then suddenly dissipates, leaving behind a chocolate stout aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, characteristic of a brown ale.

O: The creativity works for this one. This is what I had expected from Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Where Dogfish Head approximated a recipe analyzed from clay pots, New Belgium instead delivered what may have been the common ideal of a beer brewed with cocoa, chillies, and other assorted spices. Nicely done; certainly worth revisiting.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First Review on BA so here goes...

Bought a 22 oz bottle from a local liquor store in Nashville, poured into my Jolly Pumpkin snifter after refrigerating overnight. Best served by Jan 2017 on bottle, poured Aug 14th.

Awesome looking bottle, as well as idea for a beer. Foamy, creme colored head poured over the darker, amber colored porter. There's definitely a slight kick from the peppers, but it mixes well with the cocoa and reminds me a bit of a South American Guinness.

It smells great, strong and not anything like a lighter, cheaper ale. Feels like Cinco de Mayo with every sip. It was $11 for the 22oz bottle, so I probably won't be buying another bottle anytime soon, but it was definitely worth the experience. Cheers!

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer is completely wicked. There's a light pepper spice with a minimal warming sensation along with light chocolate and more prenounced cinnamon notes. An excellent sipper beer to be enjoyed slowly. The smell is wonderful too. I really hope this beer comes back one day.

4.59/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer as it combined some heat with some cocoa and cinnamon. Everything works in this experiment as the heat backed the stout like beer and the spices added some sweetness. The Mexican flavour aspect is unique and very cool. I would love to get a bottle and pair it with some Mexican food.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottled 02/26/12

A: A nice dark amber/brown pour. Good-sized soda-like tan head. Very fizzy, fades fairly quickly. No real sign of lacing, maybe a dot here and there at best.

S: A bunch of cinnamon with some cocoa mixed in. A touch of vegetal chile pepper but barely there. There is however, some discernible heat from the chiles.

T: Up front there is some chile pepper flavor with some caramel. Turns into cinnamon and then the chile heat joins it. Cocoa strong in the middle but strongest in the finish where it almost stands alone briefly. Nice strong bite from the chile peppers in the middle and through the finish, but nothing obnoxious or overpowering. Goes quite nicely with the bitter cocoa and sweet caramel in fact. A bit of smoky heat lingers between sips (chipotle?). This is unbelievably good.

M: Medium bodied, decent carbonation seems to heighten the chile heat a bit.

O: This is one hell of a chile beer. Great combination of chile heat, bitter cocoa and caramel to sweeten it all up. Very drinkable and well balanced. Easily the best crafted chile beer I've had. By a long shot.

Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
Tasted side by side with Chocolate Sombrero

A ~ Pours translucent cocoa brown with a red hue to it. Thin white head fizzles away quickly. We shined an LED through the beer & it a great Red color, with the light passing through, while chocolate sombrero was Opaque, & more of a mud color.

S ~ Cocoa Powder with an Oatmeal-like backbone...Cinnamon whispers through. Authentic Cocoa scents. Hints of Chile deep in the Nostrils.

T ~ Raw Cocoa, Cinnamon & Bold Chipotle smokiness with a lingering Guajillo & Ancho spiciness. Cinnamon reappears on the finish with slightly sweeter Chocolate notes.

M ~ No booze heat for the ABV. Tingly & Spicy with such a smooth & elegant expression of Chile peppers. Every Chile plays a note here, & you can really feel it on the palette.

D ~ Well Done! This really is one of the best Chile beers I have ever had. The expression of Chiles melds so well with the Cocoa & parallels the light cinnamon notes. Highly recommend. This outshined Chocolate Sombrero, & Clown Shoes is one of my favorite breweries.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bottle purchased while in Denver back in February. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A darkish reddish brown with about a 1 finger head with larger off white bubbles. Even leaves a solid sheet of lace as I drink the beer down.

Smell: I said, "Ohh, that smells just like mole sauce from Red Iguana." My wife, who does not like beer at all, said, "It smells less like fizzy dirty water." Especially after it sits for a few minutes, the smell intensifies a little. Nailed it.

Taste: This has got to be one of the most original beers I have ever had. This one reminds me so much of mole negro sauce from the Mexican place near our home. It starts out with the cocoa, followed by some spices and then a little heat. The "burn" goes all the down the throat. The alcohol is well hidden for a 9.0 ABV beer. I cannot give it a five because I would not want to drink this everyday, but New Belgium really nailed this beer. Kudos for experimenting!

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. Finish is long but not overwhelming.

Overall: A very tasty experiment. I really enjoyed this beer and will look for it again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A – Pours a deep ruby brown with sand colored two finger head of small bubbles, which fades quickly. Lacing is epic, completely ringing the glass with each sip taken.

S – Wow. Strong aroma. Getting Baker’s chocolate, cinnamon, chiles. This literally smells like a good mole sauce that I get at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Nice.

T – Follows the nose almost precisely. Chocolate flavor is more of the “semi-sweet cocoa” variety. Mild to medium heat from the chiles, especially after about half the bottle or so. Cinnamon flavor also stands out. Hints of black pepper, and pine nuts. Lurking underneath all this is just enough bitterness to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Finishes with lingering heat and mild alcohol burn. Overall flavor profile is rich. Tasty.

M – Big and chewy. Mild carbonation, which works well since there’s already so much tingling on the tongue already.

O – This beer truly delivers what’s advertised; a mole infused beer. Milder chocolate and more chile heat than other “chocolate chili beers” that seem all the rage lately. For those not familiar with mole, this one may be a little brash and “hot”. For those who enjoy mole like myself, I would say you might find this beer a treat. I’m getting this again.

22oz bottle.

Pours a

Smelll is full of cocoa powder and cinnamon, very sweet but with a light chile kick. Also some vanilla and an interesting underlying sugary sweetness. Very unique nose.

The taste is peppery up front with lots of sugar underneath - vanilla and cocoa adding to the complexity. The finish is a mix of ancho chile burn and cinnamon sweetness.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated and lively on the palate with the peppers mixing well with the sweetness.

I have to say, this is one of the best of the Lips of Faith series. Complex, spicy, drinkable and, most of all, extremely tasty. Fantastic beer.

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent mouth feel. The chilies don't over the layers of flavor. Toffee, slight coffee, and mild chocolate comes in. The chilies give the perfect kick.

Bottled on 12-21-2011. Poured into a tulip glass

Red brown cola color, small head, small bubbles, some lacing on glass.

Wonderful smell - like biting into a piece of Belgium chocolate with a subtle spicy note (definitely recalls Mexican hot chocolate). complex - Some roasted toasted layers too.

Hit first w/ chocolate taste up front (though less in comparison to the smell) - some herbal and roasty flavors layer in their as well. Fruity alcohol ending, with a small lingering spiciness that heats up. Great taste, some what sweet but balanced with heat.

A bit slick, perfect amount of carbonation, plays well off spices.

Quite enjoyable - esp as a after dinner valentines treat. Wouldn't drink it every day. Unique, better than other spiced beers that I've had.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer pours a dark brown with a ta head. The aroma is very complex. It leads with cinnamon, followed by dark chocolate, banana bread, and cream. The flavor is well blended and balanced. It is neither sweet nor spicy. I get cayenne and bell pepper flavors, as well a rich sweet bread flavor, and a nice dark chocolate flavor in the background. The mouthfeel is thinnish, but if it were thicker it may be unpleasant. This is a really well done lips of faith release.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

This is the third bomber I've had of this beer. It is exceptional.

Pours a cherry hued brown with little foam formation and no lace. The nose on this beer is insane, probably in my top five noses. cinnamon, cocoa, chili, sugar, coffee (just the slightest), grain, malt; these come together and honestly remind me of cinnamon toast crunch cereal - fucking awesome. Great cinnamon and cereal flavor with a good sharp burn at the rear of the palate. Really dig this beer. I'm worried about it's aging potential, so I'm drinking the shit out of it while I can. Medium bodied with prickly carb and an off dry finish. Really hope this becomes an annual release, they really hit it out of the park here.

thanks mike! enjoyed on 8/8

a - pours purple with thin bubbly head.

s - smells crazy. spices cinnamon pot pouri with some cocoa. lots of sweet nutmeg like candy. WILD and different.

t - mmm...tastes nice. chocolate with cinnamon. some spicy pepperiness. peppers.

m - prickly carbonation. the peppers and spicy heat. tickles my mouth. spicy heat that works.

o - extremely unique. spicy, cinnamon and chocolate. the peppers and heat really is a wild combo. for a chile beer, this one works!

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Dark clear amber with lovely head retention. Complex nose with nicely balanced cocoa, cinnamon spice, and dried chili. Sweet and smooth and full bodied but drinkable. Good platform for the interplay between chocolate and spice. Love the chili, I'm not usually a fan of chili beers but this is fantastic. I think they used dried chili which gives it a sort of sweet, grassy, almost herbal flavor up front and a slightly harsh heat in the back. Not too hot though, and the caramel and chocolate malts even it out. Obscenely drinkable for the style and for the ABV.

22 oz bomber poured into a New Belgium globe

A- Dark brown with a two finger off-white head. When it is held up to the light it is a deep ruby red.

S- Cinnamon! Cocoa, peppers, spices. Well balanced, reminds be of a sweet breakfast and a spicy dinner.

T- Follows that nose, again well balanced, nice heat from the peppers in the finish, 9% ABV is not noticeable at all.

M- Medium body, smooth, creamy.

O- This is a great beer that I find easy to drink, but I could see how the pepper heat could be a turn-off for some. I would compare this to something like a chocolate covered jalapeno, but not as hot. This has a great kick from the peppers but the taste is not driven by the peppers. Definitely will stock up on this.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

This is my first beer review - I love this beer so much that I had to weigh in! It is unique and delicious, one of the best that I've had. The pervasive flavors are cinnamon and chocolate, and there's a spiciness that gives you a gentle kick in the head between sips. I stocked up on it, the spicy/chocolate combo will go great with grilled food this summer. I have a few friends who "don't like beer", though they've enjoyed some of the things I've poured for them - this one will definitely be added to that playlist.
The Lips Of Faith series rarely disappoints, and this is another wonderful addition to their canon.

Lips Of Faith - Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing