Cocoa Molé | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Chile Beer

Added by hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Ratings: 1,018 |  Reviews: 277
4.8/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at Hops on Birch in Flagstaff, AZ. Pours nearly black with a small head that fades into medium lacing. I spent quite a bit of time looking at this beer before tasting it because it looked so damn beautiful. Smelled of cocoa obviously as well as upfront chile notes as well as minimal roasted malts and hops. Taste was AMAZING. Chocolate flavor, chile flavor, and some coffee notes as well. The spices added to the beer made my lips burn but in a good way. I had to drink this one slowly because of how delicious it was. The feel was on the smoother side with a bit of an acidic bite but that didn't detract from the greatness. Overall this is the best beer I've ever had by New Belgium. I highly recommend it.

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

I've been wanting to try this one for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger and grab a bottle off the shelf. But, when I saw it on tap tonight at Mekong in Richmond, VA, I knew I had to give it a shot. And I was not disappointed.

A- Very dark pour with no head.

S- Nice sweet smell with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. I can tell this one is going to be sweet.

T- So much complexity in this beer. I let my girlfriend taste it and watched her face go through at least 5 different expressions after she tasted it, so I knew it would be good. Hit me with a cocoa flavor at first with a hint of cinnamon. Sweet, but in a good way, and then a lingering spicy finish. Reminds me of a mexican chocolate.

M- Very smooth with a little bit of a tingling at the end as a result of the spiciness.

O- I was very satisfied with this beer and could easily see it becoming one of my favorites. Sweet, but not too sweet, and a nice spicy tingly finish. Oh, it's 9% ABV? who knew!

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing is my favorite beer. It was my first encounter with a Cocoa flavored beer, but it remains the best I've yet tried.

The beer doesn't look that great, and when I tell my friends how much I love it they doubt me when they first take a look at it.

But if you like the taste of Molé, this beer rocks it. I think that my loving Molé in Mexican food heavily influences why I love this beer.

If you really like Molé, you should really enjoy this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful flavor, the spiciness is only felt on the back of the throat about 2 seconds after swallowing and it's not overpowering at all. Incredible achievement for this style.

4.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 release drank in Feb 2015. Sweet then spicy. I'm a sucker for peppery or smoky porters, Mexican food and spicy foods, so that is part of my affinity. Very smooth and as good as I remember it from the last release a few years ago.

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing