Cocoa Molé | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Chile Beer

Added by hopfacebrew on 01-20-2012

Reviews: 277 | Ratings: 1,016
4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer defiantly smells strange, though, I don't think it's bad. I defiantly get this sweet sorta cocoa aroma coming off of it, but I also get something that I can only describe as "meaty" as well. Overall the beer's aroma is sweet, the meatiness comes from the chillies, I'm sure.

Cocoa Mole pours a really deep rusty brown color with red highlights - it is also perfectly clear. The head is off white and nice and foamy and looks like it will stick around for a little while.

When tasting Cocoa Mole, my first reaction was to conjure Keanu Reeves and say "Whoa." There is this impact of wonderful chocolate at first, i mean it tastes exactly like a chocolate bar. Then, in the finish there is this slight burn that I get at the back of my throat that lingers into the aftertaste. I was right, the beer smells infected, but it tastes perfectly good. In the aftertaste, you can defiantly taste the chipotle and ancho chiles doing their work. It's not unpleasant, just enough heat to let you know that they were part of making this beer. Quite a surprising taste, pleasing too.

Mouthfeel on this one is nice, carbonation is right there at a moderate level and the body is right on the boarder of medium/full, leaning more towards medium. All in all this is a great beer! The alcohol is WELL hidden within the mixture of chocolate and chile. Drinkability would seem high because the alcohol isn't present, but the flavor is so potent that I can't imagine anyone wanting to slam these down. Excellent beer.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

This is my first beer review - I love this beer so much that I had to weigh in! It is unique and delicious, one of the best that I've had. The pervasive flavors are cinnamon and chocolate, and there's a spiciness that gives you a gentle kick in the head between sips. I stocked up on it, the spicy/chocolate combo will go great with grilled food this summer. I have a few friends who "don't like beer", though they've enjoyed some of the things I've poured for them - this one will definitely be added to that playlist.
The Lips Of Faith series rarely disappoints, and this is another wonderful addition to their canon.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A-pours a dark brown with an off-white head that dissipated relatively quickly. Its appearance is somewhere between porter and a brown ale.

S-Smokey, cocoa, spicy, and malty

T-Much like the nose with cocoa and a hint of coffee up front and then some smokiness with a spicy finish as the chile burns the throat. Complex and delicious.

M-Seemed somewhat thin but I don't have much experience with this style but it was nice.

D-A friend of mine split a bomber with me and I felt like that was about as much as I could drink. Its complexity combined with its smokey and spiciness make this a sipper for me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. The Lips of Faith series in my experience has been great. I recommend this.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Dark brown, good head and lacing

Smell: Chiles, cocoa, dark fruit, cinnamon

Taste: Chiles, though not too much heat, cinnamon, cocoa, dark fruits, malts, brown sugar

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, full body

Overall: An excellent beer, not quite as good as Victory at Sea Mole, but still excellent. A little sweeter than I think it should have been but otherwise great

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Deep ruby in color, almost opaque until you hold it up to the light. At that point, there's lots of visible carbonation feeding a 1.5 finger off-white and bubbly head. It disapates slowly and sticks around for the whole drink. Lots of things going on with the aroma, with an intoxicating and aromatic spiciness that is of cinnamon, chocolate, and caramel with a touch of some chile pepper in the background. The combination is very interesting, at times remeniscent of (don't laugh) dog food with a certain mustiness, but once you delve into the nose a bit more, the spices come out at full blast. A bit bready in the malt to serve as an under the radar backbone of the aroma.

Rich flavors come out in the taste, full of spices like some sort of holiday seasonal with cinnamon and sprucy notes in the front. A smooth chocolatey and caramel middle makes for the maltiness and smooth mouthfeel. In the back the most interesting part of this beer makes itself known pretty emphatically: a definite spicy heat that can only be from a pretty sturdy usage of hot chile peppers. While it is definitely a key and prominent aspect of this beer, it is by no means overwhelming. It accents the other flavors almost flawlessly, making for a cinnamon-like burn while playing off the chocoate and caramel malts. It is its own flavor and yet it remains a part of the overall picture as it works its way across the palate in reverse. Nothing is very subtle in this beer, but nothing is quite overpowering either, a nice balance to have in these off-the-wall types of beers. I'm definitely surprised at how much heat made its way through the beer, aided, I'm sure, by the high ABV which has to be accenting this heat and possibly magnifying it slightly. The aftertaste is probably my only problem with this beer, tasting a bit like old, overcooked vegetables, possibly the chiles? It lingers on a little too long for my liking, but does make me want to take another sip, if only to dispel of this weird taste. The mouthfeel is smooth until the end, where the heat makes you forget about the mouthfeel for a minute. Maybe wouldn't have hurt from a bit more of a cleansing carbonation bite or tingle? It might help in removing that lingering aftertaste.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this beer. The fact that its so unique and interesting makes it easy to like for me, and I can get past the touch of heartburn the peppers are causing me. The drinkability is limited since the flavors are so unique but rich, but a perfect beer for sharing and examining its different attributes. Certainly not a beer for timid palates, but for those with a taste for the extreme and different, this is a perfect example. Definitely a conversation starter.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

A- pours a russet garnet color with a short lived finger of light tan head. Some light lacing.

S- this smells awesome. Sweet malts blend with spice, savory pepper, and subtle smokiness from the chipotle. There's also toasty characteristics and cocoa on the finish with a hint of cinnamon.

T- the cocoa and sweet toasty malt fleshes out in the beginning. Spice and cinnamon blends in the middle. Finishes with pepper flesh, subtle smoke and pepper seed heat on the finish.

MF- rich full mouthfeel with a medium body and average carbonation.

D- good drinkability if your a fan of peppers. If not it might not be for you. This would be one hell of a food beer.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a deep brown, ruby when held up to the light, clear. One inch head that dissipates very quickly to next to nothing. Interesting spices in the aroma. Cinnamon and cardamom most prevalent. A little heat over a dark brown ale malt bill. Thin chocolate taste fades quickly to cinnamon and other spices I can't pin down. Heat sticks to the roof of the mouth and throat. It's a warming feeling, not too hot. Unlike most beers with heat, I seem to enjoy the spiciness in this one. Hides ABV well. Medium feel, dry finish due to the heat.

Despite my inclination to dislike this beer, I kinda like it. This is a salsa beer, but in the best way. I actually like heat in a beer! It's not overpowering, but it's there. Take a hint Ballast Point, be more subtle! Not something I'd like more than a couple times a year, this is definitely a good beer and worth trying. Now if we can get New Belgium to make horchata...

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. While I got cinnamon and cocoa in the aroma, there was also something like artificial chemical flavor in there. Not that they used something artificial, buy maybe something got extracted in disproportionate concentration to other things and just tasted, well, worse than it smelled, and not very good. While the base beer is supposedly porter, this porter could have benefited from more body and sweetness. There was a cayenne pepper-like burn to the finish, and I think some sweetness would have helped. If you took away the spices, this would be a poor porter, IMO. My 9 bucks could have been better spent.

Enjoyed from the bomber in a snifter during a bottle share. A truly unique porter. Poured a deep dark red brown with a creamy white head that dissipated after a couple of minutes. Nice lacing. Aromas of cinnamon, cocoa powder with hints of pepper spices. A little worried at the first sip that it might be awful. However, I am glad the aromas were misleading. Tastes of cocoa with a slight hint of roasted chilies. Cinnamon and vanilla. Rich dark roasted malts as well. The back end is mainly dark roasted malts with cocoa with the roasted chilies. Finishes both sweet and spicy. Great chile beer.

4.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle purchased at Jay's in town, poured in pint glass and shared with SingingTheNews today on a rainy Saturday.

A: Autumn red brown, it's dark, but holding it to the light reveals its true color. One finger head that quickly fades, very light brown colored.

S: Cocoa, peppers, roasted malt that has a hint of sweetness to it, smoke, some cinnamon hints at the finish.

M: Thin, watery body.

T: Cinnamon, heat, peppers, spicy chili, chipotle, a hint of caramel at the finish

O: I really like this beer, after the first bomber I went and picked up another. Hope to see this again in the future. The complex flavors + the spicyness of the brew are a great combo.

4.46/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Brown almost ruby or tea like up to the light. Very quickly dissipating head, down to a ring. Nice looking level of carbonation when rocking the glass.
AROMA: Chile peppers right off the bat, caramel, slight chocolate, slight cinnamon.
TASTE: Cinnamon immediately, followed by mild chocolate and caramel. The peppers kick in towards the finish and add some great flavor.
FEEL: Acidic, medium body, slightly chewy, dry on finish but a little sticky at the same time.
OVERALL: A little disappointed in the aroma dept, however, the flavor more than makes up for it. I don't get any alcohol in the aroma or taste. The beer has great, but fairly mild building spiciness to it. Cinnamon more so in the taste than aroma. Just a pleasure to drink, will be picking up more.

2.86/5  rDev -28.3%

Very colorful, Mariachi style graphics. Very fun look.

Sorry to say, but the pour is a murky brown pour that isn't appealing to the eye. Minimal head that fades quickly.

Smells strangely of Cocoa powder, molasses cookies, and a cold chicken sandwich! A bit confusing. Not unpleasant, just a little cold on the nose.

The taste is a swirling Uber-sweet flush of spice heat. Ayyyiiiiyyyiii. Man, that pungent sweet heat packs a wallop. I'm grabbing for a tortilla to knock back some of the heat. The heat doesn't dissapate but grows with each mouthful.

Found this a bit overwhelming. A snifter pour is a good serving size, anything else is masochism!

3.79/5  rDev -5%

Appearance - 3.5/5
Dark red-orange-brown. Slight transparent, but it's so dark you can't really see through except at the narrow parts of the glass. 1/2 finger of head on initial pour, dissipates down to a thin layer.

Smell - 3.25/5
Cinnamon, cocoa, maybe hints of alcohol and spiciness. Very earthy as well. Overall I didn't find the smell that pleasant.

Taste - 4/5
The chocolate/mole aspects come out much stronger in the taste than in the smell. The dominant taste is a the spicy cinnamon mixed with chocolate. I really like the cinnamon aspect of this beer. The cinnamon + chocolate + chilli spiciness really makes this taste like Molé (I think I've had molé before?). Overall, I don't know whether I love the taste, but I definitely respect it as a great example of a molé beer, perhaps the best example of this style I have tried.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied. Smooth, but quite spicy. This beer definitely leaves a spicy and tingly aftertaste on the back of your throat. Carbonation was light

Overall - 4/5
Overall I really liked this beer as a great example of a molé-style beer. Not something I would want

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

I have a love hate relationship with chile beers, I love hot and spicy things, but mixing them with beer has to be done right or they taste like crap. This one should be interesting.
Bottle poured into a New Belgium Globe.

A- Pours a deep brown with 1 finger of fizzy light brown head that fizzles away after a while.

S- Chocolate, roasted red chiles, cinnamon. Smells like somebody's cooking Chicken Mole.

T- Lots of chocolate up front with a faint hint of sweet roasted peppers. The heat from the peppers is very mild, and pleasant. The entire Mole sauce spice profile is there. Cinnamon is the one that stands out, but the spices round out the sweet from the chocolate, and the heat from the chilies very well.

M- Nice medium body. Low amount of carbonation.

O- Wow, really impressed with this one. New Belgium has made a chile beer right. The whole sweet / heat flavor profile is done well. Would buy this again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
Tasted side by side with Chocolate Sombrero

A ~ Pours translucent cocoa brown with a red hue to it. Thin white head fizzles away quickly. We shined an LED through the beer & it a great Red color, with the light passing through, while chocolate sombrero was Opaque, & more of a mud color.

S ~ Cocoa Powder with an Oatmeal-like backbone...Cinnamon whispers through. Authentic Cocoa scents. Hints of Chile deep in the Nostrils.

T ~ Raw Cocoa, Cinnamon & Bold Chipotle smokiness with a lingering Guajillo & Ancho spiciness. Cinnamon reappears on the finish with slightly sweeter Chocolate notes.

M ~ No booze heat for the ABV. Tingly & Spicy with such a smooth & elegant expression of Chile peppers. Every Chile plays a note here, & you can really feel it on the palette.

D ~ Well Done! This really is one of the best Chile beers I have ever had. The expression of Chiles melds so well with the Cocoa & parallels the light cinnamon notes. Highly recommend. This outshined Chocolate Sombrero, & Clown Shoes is one of my favorite breweries.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in a standard pint glass at Billy Jack's in Harrisoburg, VA.

A - Pours an extremely dark amber color with a one finger nearly white head that dies quickly. Doesn't leave much lacing.

S - Smells like rich cocoa, apple-cinnamon, and spicy chile powder.

T - Intensely sweet and spicy with the same flavors that were in the nose. The hot pepper spice becomes more apparent as I drink. The aftertaste is similar to a brown sugar cinnamon pop-tart. This is not at all a bad thing.

M - A medium-thick body and great carbonation. Maybe a bit chalky; I almost feel like I can feel the fine-ground cinnamon on my tongue. A little spicy on the finish and the strong flavors hide the alcohol well.

O - I couldn't resist trying this beer when I saw it on draft because I love spice and this is the number one beer of the style on this site. The flavors and aroma are powerful, but never out of hand. The spices really come out as it warms. If I see this beer again, I will definitely get it. Very different from other beers, but suits my tastes well and the high ABV is hidden.

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

April 21, 2015

22 oz bomber, snifter

A – Medium to deep brown, very high clarity when held up to the light. A half inch of light tan bubbly head, low retention. Pours somewhat thin.

S – Sweet malt, with a cinnamon, horchata-like aroma leading the way. Chocolate and toffee malt aromas, with a very low impression of fruit. Perhaps some light, spicy hops, very low in the background.

T – Like Mexican hot chocolate, with cocoa/chocolate and cinnamon prominent, and then a warm, slightly biting peppery finish, like cayenne powder dancing down my throat. Sweet malt and a touch of earthy or spicy hops.

M – Fairly thin bodied, almost no heft to it, which is actually a plus as the lightness balances the intense flavors. Low carbonation, just slightly bubbly. Sweet up front, no real bitterness, then chile/pepper heat on the finish, strong.

O – One of the better chile/pepper beers I’ve sampled, as it really reads more as a spiced dessert than a “pepper beer.” Very well done.

3.59/5  rDev -10%

Darker color with mocha head. Minimal lacing. Very aromatic beer, with bitter chocolate, and some spice that I could not place. Had a decent alcohol bite, but the chocolate flavor was very apparent. I did not realize it was a chile beer until I started this reveiw. The gals I was with enjoyed this more than I did. I like the chocolate, but the alcohols at the back end were a little excessive- might have been the chile kick.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours opaque dark brown, with some purple highlights. A big dirty tan head forms from an aggressive pour, but it's gone in a flash, leaving no lacing and obviously no retention.

Smells mostly cinnamon and chocolate, and a touch of chili. That's what I was expecting.

While there is an undertone of malt, but cinnamon and spice overtake the beer. Chili on the finish makes this what it claims.

The beer is almost thin and flat. While good at masking the abv, it's makes for an unappealing feel. It has a bit of burn, but it's not serious, and that's from the chili.

A bit more cinnamon than I expected, but it's nice. The chili and chocolate are there, but it needs more body and carbonation. Other than that, quite an experience.

DOA

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent mouth feel. The chilies don't over the layers of flavor. Toffee, slight coffee, and mild chocolate comes in. The chilies give the perfect kick.

2.77/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in room temperature.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Pours a head like soda, it recedes immediately -- disappointing.

Aroma: Cocoa and chili, some malt in the background. The spices are evident, the beer not so much!

Taste: Strong and spicy, but where are the beer characteristics? There are no hops evident, and the malt is very mild and on the background. Chipotle is present as a hot spiciness, but not too strong. The cocoa is perhaps dominant, although not like in a chocolate stout. It's clear that they used cocoa. Cinnamon is also clearly there. Alcohol tastes through as well, although not as much as you might think for a beer of such a high ABV.

Mouthfeel: Pretty bland, carbonated like soda, light to medium body.

Overall: Disappointing. I was excited an curious about this beer, but it fails to deliver. It's only the second beer from the Lips of Faith series that I've tried, but they've both been below average (the other one was Biere de Mars). Surprising, as I really like New Belgium's other beers. Anyway, this beer just doesn't taste like beer. It seems like an experiment gone wrong. The spices are nice, but given the strong spices, you'd need an equally robust beer to support them.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

served in a Mother Earth globe with an aggressive pour.

A - clear, deep ruby/dark cherry color with one-finger, khaki head that settled quickly to a bubbly ring; only spotty lacing left on glass

S - ginger, cinnamon, squash, bran muffin, hint of peppers

T - big burst of squash-y pumpkin pie with light cocoa powder; pepper flavors start to form mid-way and become more present towards the finish; peppers are not spicy, but are clear

M - medium bodied with moderate, very fine carbonation; some mild bitterness along with a mild vegetable linger in the mouth; a warm, peppery sensation left in the back of the throat

O - fantastic and unique take on the chili beer. balanced between sweet/dry with obvious spice notes that are bright, without overpowering the beer. i am curious if the squash flavors that i am tasting comes from one of the peppers or if it is just the combination of all the ingredients. check this one out fo sho!

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A – Pours a deep ruby brown with sand colored two finger head of small bubbles, which fades quickly. Lacing is epic, completely ringing the glass with each sip taken.

S – Wow. Strong aroma. Getting Baker’s chocolate, cinnamon, chiles. This literally smells like a good mole sauce that I get at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Nice.

T – Follows the nose almost precisely. Chocolate flavor is more of the “semi-sweet cocoa” variety. Mild to medium heat from the chiles, especially after about half the bottle or so. Cinnamon flavor also stands out. Hints of black pepper, and pine nuts. Lurking underneath all this is just enough bitterness to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Finishes with lingering heat and mild alcohol burn. Overall flavor profile is rich. Tasty.

M – Big and chewy. Mild carbonation, which works well since there’s already so much tingling on the tongue already.

O – This beer truly delivers what’s advertised; a mole infused beer. Milder chocolate and more chile heat than other “chocolate chili beers” that seem all the rage lately. For those not familiar with mole, this one may be a little brash and “hot”. For those who enjoy mole like myself, I would say you might find this beer a treat. I’m getting this again.

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%

Purchased at the Wine Source in Baltimore.
Bottled on 12/21/2011
22 oz. bottle
Label reads: "Say hola to a spiced up ale full of cocoa and ancho, guajillo, and chipotle peppers. But don't fear the heat, because plenty of caramel and chocolate malts bring a smooth, complex flavor. Scents of cinnamon when poured will have you saying 'ole for mole!'"

I had somewhat high expectations for this beer as my friend said that this was one of the best beers they have ever had in their life. Bold statement...

Pours a deep ruby chestnut color with excellent clarity. Tan head fizzes away at a moderately fast pace and leaves practically nothing on top. The body is very dark, deep dark brown with red highlights.

The aroma is exciting; definitely different than most beers. Chocolate is there with some spices. It has a creamy, "lactose" aroma to it. Smells sweet. If I didn't know there were peppers thrown in, I'm not sure I would be able to pull that aroma out. However, if you concentrate and when it is warm enough, you can get some of that pepper aroma.

Extremely flavorful beer! There is a burst of spicy pepper notes, cinnamon, ginger, clove, followed by a saccharin-sweet chocolate finish and a long, spicy heat from the peppers. This is one tasty beer! The one thing I would maybe change to improve upon would be that cocoa flavor. It truly is a bit too much and is oddly giving me the impression of artificial sweetener.

The beer is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. There is a lingering bite from the heat of the peppers.

Cocoa Mole is a "style bender" and a good one at that. Peppers, chocolate, spices...it's all mole, but could there be such a thing as Mole Beer? Overall, this would be a good food beer, otherwise it didn't do enough for me that I would drink it again on its own.

Pair it with something Mexican...mole (duh) burrito, peppered flank steak, churros.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a dark, ruby-tinged brown with a thin ring of off-white bubbles. Strong aroma of cinnamon and cocoa, with a hint of chile -- but really strong on the cinnamon. The Mexican chocolate combination of cinnamon and cocoa comes through strongly, followed by the sweet burn of chiles.

Despite the heavy flavor constituents and high ABV, this is a pretty light, easy drinking brew -- it actually leaves me wishing it drank a bit more like thick Mexican hot chocolate, but it's still delicious and enjoyable.

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing