Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cocoa Molé | New Belgium Brewing

Ratings: 1,018 |  Reviews: 277

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Cocoa Mole pours a translucent black color with a small lacing tan head. There is a bold cinnamon aroma. The taste is big of the three peppers and packs a little heat, small smoked flavors and a hint of sweetness. Body is rather watery and light.

3.26/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.32/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a semi-clear medium-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that fades pretty quickly. Just a few spots of bubbly lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aromas begin quite cinnamon forward with some mild but increasingly intense chocolate. The spice/peppers are noticed, but in the background.

The tastes are quite spice forward, both cinnamon and chile pepper. The chocolate and toasted bready maltiness in the aroma is completely overpowered by the dualing over-spicing, which is unfortunate, as they really drown out the other aspects of the beer.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. The finish has quite a bit of lingering spice. The heat isn't overbearing at all, but it is disproportionate to the other characteristics of the beer. Typical thin mouthfeel that is found with many of New Belgium's beer thanks to them filtering and not bottle-conditioning anymore

Overall this beer started okay but ended up completely falling flat for me. The spices overwhelm the flavor profile of the beer leaving it too cinnamon forward in the end (which says a lot because I love it, I put a crap-ton in in my oatmeal everyday). LOF series beers are quite hit or miss, you can guess where I feel this one falls.

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.34/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer has a lot going on and I will do my best to review it to the best of my ability. Pours a deep brown color with minimal head and spotty lacing. Aroma hits you hard with scents of cinnamon, roses, and some weird, yet intriguing other aroma that I just cant figure out. Taste is very bold like the nose. Touches of wet cinnamon and allspice are definitely present and their is a slight burn that I would guess is a combination of the alcohol and the ancho, guajillo and chipotle peppers. The heat is not overbearing, but you tend to get more of it on the front end than the back. I am getting very little cocoa out of this. This beer is full of all kinds of mild to moderate spice and the mouthfeel is a little less than I would have expected after the first taste. Hard to tell how the balance is because of everything that is going on, but overall, this is the most unique beer I have had. A sipper, slow and steady, lol.

3.34/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Dark, golden brown with a 1/2 inch cocoa colored head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Smells of cinnamon and holiday spice. A little bit of chocolate coming through once I get past the cinnamon but smells like apple pie with a cocoa/chile backbone.

T: The first thing that hits you is cinnamon. This is a cinnamon bomb if I've ever had one. Very sweet (almost too sweet) and the chile is very subdued. The sweetness and cinnamon character of this beer overwhelms the chile flavor and all I really ended up getting from the chilies was a slight chile burn on the edges of my tongue. Not bad but kind of falling into the dessert beer category for me.

M: Is nice with a nice lingering coating left in the mouth. The viscosity of this beer might be my favorite aspect of this brew. Very nice dark belgian ale mouthfeel that is rich and creamy without being overwhelming.

O: I bought one to lay down for a while and see what happens. For me to enjoy this beer more the sweetness and cinnamon character need to tone down a bit. I'm hoping some age will accomplish this. I would say this is a sweeter, less refined and sloppier Vertical Epic. I didn't hate this beer and I didn't love it...it just kind of lands in the middle somewhere for me. For $9 a bomber it's not terribly expensive and I am curious to see what 6 months to a year will do for the one in my cellar. An interesting brew....

3.36/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -15.3%

My local bottle shop just got this in tonight and a buddy and I decided to give it a go-around. I can definitely say, Cocoa Mole is like nothing else I've ever tried.

Cherry cola in color, Cocoa Mole pours with just a skimming of a head. Although dark, it has great clarity, active carbonation and highlights of ruby. The aroma is immediately sweet. This smells more like freshly baked cinnamon churros than a beer. Just a touch of cocoa and a touch of fresh sweet pepper but mostly sweet malts and cinnamon..

The bouquet isn't immediately echoed in the flavor as black pepper and alcohol are perceived first. Barleywine-esque malt sweetness comes in quickly on this full bodied brew. Definitely... Without a doubt... Spicy!! Cocoa Mole is so spicy, in fact, that it makes me feel as if I've just eaten a stuffed habenero and am on the verge of heartburn. Eventually, your palate gets used to the edge and a subtle chocolate begins to take its place among flavors of churro batter, cocoa and fresh peppers.

This is definitely a unique beer and, whereas I wouldn't be opposed to having another some time in the future, I wouldn't seek it out ever again. This is for sharing and sipping as the lingering spice can be quite unappealing at times. Different but not necessarily in a good way...

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Dark brown black in color. When held to the light it takes on a cola color with perhaps a hint of ruby. The head is off white and creamy smooth.

S: Definitely a lot of cocoa powder in the aroma, as well as cinnamon. There is also a good bit of chili in there. There is almost a little bit of a chocolate coke smell going on. A very interesting brew indeed.

T: A bit more spicy than I would have thought. At first you get a little bit of a cocoa powder taste, followed by spicy peppers. The peppers almost taste a bit roasted, perhaps it is the dark malts.

M: Fairly light in body, the carbonation is fairly active. The finish is a little dry, and of course there is a spice note that gives it a little burn in the back of the throat.

O: Overall I think it is a fairly interesting brew. I like the cocoa nibs, but the chillies seem a little one note. Something new, but not something I would buy again. It would be interesting to cook with.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Chile beer, whooo!

This beer poured a medium bodied chestnut brown with amber highlights and a one finger soapy off white head. The nose features slightly sweet dark malts, toffee, light chocolate, cinnamon, and finishes with a slight pepper spice. I would prefer more pepper in the nose but it's decent. The flavors consist of a lot of dark malty sweetness, cinnamon, nutmeg, light cocoa, with ever so slight peppery spice. It's a little sweet and because of the spice profile with chocolate, kind of reminds me of the Midnight Sun's chocolate pumpkin porter, yet with a peppery spice. It's ok, I just wish there was more pepper, like a lot more. It drinks lighter than it poured and lighter than it looked. It's ok, I expected more, especially with high reviews.

3.39/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Has a very nice hint of coconut at the beginning followed by a spicy aftertaste. The spice is a bit too much and takes away from the beer.

Cocoa Molé from New Belgium Brewing