Shift Pale Lager | New Belgium Brewing

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by Jason on 03-14-2012

Ratings: 1,379 |  Reviews: 245

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I've had a few of these in 16oz cans, but my neighborhood Freddys had 6-12oz cans for $6.99 I can't pass up cans for $6.99 so here I am!

A> Poured into a pint glass, this brew produced a 3/4 finger head that quickly dissipated but left some decent lacing. Crystal clear with plenty of carbonation, although a little darker than your run of the mill lager.

S> Not much of a smell. Light pilsner malts with a bit of lemon.

T> Light pilsner malt backbone with a bit of lemon & pepper. Finishes with a slight bit of hop bitterness, which I think keeps things interesting.

M> Good mouthfeel, It's got a bit of thickness but also has lots of carbonation which cuts through everything nicely and leaves the mouth feeling refreshed. I imagine this would be delightful on a hot day.

O> A pretty average beer that has a few things going for it. It's a reasonably priced beer that comes in a can (cans are perfect for the summer) and it has just enough character to keep things interesting. Perhaps the strangest thing about this beer is the mouthfeel was the highlight. Although this beer is uneventful and inoffensive (I imagine anyone could enjoy this on a warm day) it's lager, and perhaps even a bit adventurous for the style. All around a good beer and I know later this summer when I'm heading to the river, I will grab a couple of these.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%

It looks a little above average. It has a nice yellowish orange color, no haze, very filtered with a good amount of bubbles streaming upwards. The head looks sort of funny.

Light floral citrus smell. A small amount sweet malt in the background, but the hops come through the most, which is a good. I think I smell some Cascade hops in there.

I enjoy the flavor on this quite a bit. It has a really, really balance between Citrus from the hops, some tangerine and some sweetness from the 2-row malt. For the style, very good.

The only bummer really is the mouthfeel. The carbonation needs to be bumped up a bit.

Overall this one is a winner. I'll be getting more of this in the summer when I want something lighter.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%