Love (Oscar - Mid) | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by russwbeck on 03-27-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 10
3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer served in a snifter, beer is brown and has a slight haze to it, a thin head of small bubbles breaks, low retention, no lacing, some carbonation.

Aroma is sweet with lactic and this slight balsamic vinegar flavor to it.

Beer is medium to light in body, brighter than the young, more tart / dryer on the finish, thinner in body and still sweet. The sweetness is balanced more in this one than the others. I liked this the best.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

On-tap at Churchkey for their La Folie Deconstruction. This is the two year old version of the base beer used to blend La Folie. The Young and Oude are eventually blended with this to create the sour we all know and love.

A: The body is beginning to clear out a bit, and the head is a bit more pronounced. Still a general lack of lacing overall. 3.5

S: The sour is coming out now as well, but still sweet. Caramel and I swear some spices are coming to my nose. 3.5

T: I'm getting the spices again here. It's a weird combination of a sour and a winter Warner. I do like how the funkiness has become more prominent and this has a nice, but subdued balance. 4

MF: The body is thinning a bit and the carbonation is coming back up, both of which I'm a fan of. This is very drinkable 4.5

O: Again this was $4.5 for 4oz. Which I actually thought was worth it. I'm liking where this is heading. This seems like La Folie but with all it's parts toned down. 4

Love (Oscar - Mid) from New Belgium Brewing