Red Hoptober | New Belgium Brewing

Availability: Fall

Centennial, Cascade & Eldorado hops

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 07-20-2012

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Med. brown/amber with an awesome foamy thick tan head that hangs around forever and laces like shoes. Great carbonation. I can't think of a way to improve the appearance.

Smell: Fruity hops, a little floral, grapefruit, mangoes, plums.

Taste: Awesome hop flavor, much like the smell but with a touch of pine. It's the perfect hoppiness, full of flavor but not puckering. It's totally inviting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. I would like to feel more carbonation.

This is a great, world class beer. I love it.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Poured into a New Belgium tulip. Freshness date of November. Pours a very dark reddish brown. Seems to be clear. Nice beige head of about two inches. Good retention with great lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is similar to the original Hoptober. Sweet hoppiness with a little more malt sweetness. Nice sweet hops.

I changed this review after tasting this beer from a growler. Taste is really nice. Nice hoppiness to start. Malt with maybe a slight chocolate undertone in the middle. Nice sweet hop finish. There is a lingering hop chocolate taste that I like.

The mouthfeel is what I like best. Very smooth and it gets better as the beer warms. Eventhough it's still summer here, this will be a great Fall beer. Good carbonation but oh so smooth. Mouthfeel definitely improves on draft.

Overall a really good beer. I like New Belgium products as a rule but this one is quite good. It's good from a bottle but much better on draft.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Oh My Gawsh I wasn't paying much attention when I finished a Paulaner Munich and cranked open this bottle I got at Halfway Liquors in Hagerstown MD last night. It about tore my head off! "In a good way" (a la Zimmern & Bourdain lol).

Okay-- so this was a bold high-IBU IPA when it hit my lips, but they call it an American Amber? So be it. But for now it's my favorite new "IPA."

A= dark amber-red with a glistening appearance, fair head when poured but dissipated quickly to modest rimming.

S= gorgeous, seriously great. Very nice bold caramelized malts with a joyous blend of hop-head delight, yet a slight grassy nose that has me hyperventilating from sniffing.

T= the taste follows the nose although there's more of an English Bitters in the swallow here. The malts border on me saying "slightly chewy dough." There are complex flavor notes that elude me- slight fruity-ness? And the bold overheated grass effect that one gets in nose and mouth when scraping out the bottom of a lawn mower.

M= bitters and bitters but not acrid; some caramel and malts lingering.

O= a grand new addition!

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass:

Apparence: beautiful dark amber color, with red hues, crystal clear, slightly brown head, maybe beige.

Aroma: smells of amber to dark malt with some earthy, grassy hops, very slightly citrusy, but I'd describe it as biscuity with some chocolate and fresh cut grass with ripe pine needles sitting atop.

Flavor: earthy notes hit my tongue first, followed by dark malts, as if I was eating slightly burnt hawaiien bread in the middle of a pine tree forest with fresh cut grass surrounding. Really, really plesent flavor. Flavors balance each other very nicely.

Mouthfeel: I would say medium body, but with a dry finish, carbonation is nice, nothing cloying in the beer, just a plesent taste that dissipates into a mellow burnt sugar flavor/feel.

Overall: this is a good one. Want a dark amber ale, but you also want an IPA? This is perfect. Well balanced, hop and malt flavor are extremely well thought out and executed very well. Drinkability is also really high, 3-5 bottles of this would not be a problem for a Friday or Saturday night session.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

I am impressed. For some reason, I went into this expecting a marzen style, and was shocked bt the initial sip. After actually reading the bottle, I sipped again, now opening myself up to whatever they want there. This is a delightful beer. Deep aroma that hits you on the nose with spicyness, a deep amber coloring and a full body, Red Hoptober has made me a fan of New Belguim in one beer. Well done.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

pours out a dark mahogany colour with a thinnish but persisitent light tan head. wispy lace. very complex aroma...herbal earthiness trades jabs with light cocoa and ripe red fruitiness. subtle spice and smoke, anise, hay and leaves give this a layered and seasonal flair, somehting unlike i have not yet smelled before in a beer. the taste profile is equally as interesting...malt bill throws off layers of light candyish flavours such as nougat and chocolate all the while intertwined with earthy, leafy, herbal notes from both the hop profile and the yeast influenced malt show. there is a lot going on flavour wise. really seems to hit the spot, and very appropriate for the season. hop bitterness is just enough to balance things out and compliment the overall enjoyment that this red/amber ale provides. the mouthfeel is smooth yet chalky, with a medium body holding things up in a proud yet understated manner. drinkability is outstanding...i detect some belgian type malts, but i could be wrong. this really is delicious.

overall i am quite impressed with this fall seasonal that seems to successfully capture the essence of autumn in a bottle. what's unique about this offering is that without being an o-fest or pumpkin ale, red hoptober delivers the fall and early winter personality in a bottle like no other concoction sampled before. definitely a winner and deserving of praise.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

The burnt umber colored body was clear, and topped by a two finger thick, foamy, beige head. I could smell the bright hops even before bringing the glass up to the nose. Once I did, the nose was dominated by piney, earthy, spicy, and musty hops. As anticipated, the taste was quite bitter and earthy, with a flash of brown sugar mid palette, and a carbonated, drying, finish. The body felt medium thick, oily, and soft. This is better than the typical New Belgium seasonal, and approaches the quality of the Lips of Faith series.

4.41/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, Red Hoptober is a deep bronze-red color with a dense yet airy head that leaves sticky gobs of lacing on the walls of the glass. Smell is a mix of spicey hops and caramel malt. Flavor is initially dominated by the hops; floral and spicy, transitioning to slighly malty sweet and finishes amazingly neutral and clean for a beer with that kind of hop flavor. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a thick but inactive carbonation. Overall I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised with this, definitely a new favorite from NB.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was surprised by this beer from the instant I opened and poured it. One, because of its appearance—I wasn’t expecting something with such a rich, deep amber brown hue, and literally two solid fingers of creamy foam topping it. And two, the aroma—oh, what an aroma! From the instant I cracked this open I could smell it. First impressions are of chocolate malt—just this wonderfully bright bouquet of roast and chocolate malt that comes across. It’s pleasing and another surprise. The flavor cracks with a smooth malt like an amber and a defined, distinct bitterness. There’s a pleasing hoppiness that develops and gives this some kick. Not sure where this beer fits in the grand scheme of things—it’s a hoppy amber, or a malty IPA, or just something altogether delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm quite impressed with this and will buy more....hop forward but backloaded with a nice dark toffee/brown sugar malt bone..

Hops begin with sole citrus rind....a brief foray into some pine notes and then settles down spicy and earthy which really complements the malt load perfectly....just a hint of garlic on the late finish but it blends ok...

Body is right on....great drinker....a lot of flavor to this red ale..

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Red Hoptober a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at Meijers. It's a nice Fall night in Mid Michigan so a Fall seasonal sounds pretty fitting, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's pretty nicely done and it has some nice information on it. It poured a nice dark copper color that took on a brighter ruby red hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of chunky off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sheets of lacing. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart some nice toasted, nutty, grainy, caramel, biscuit, with some slight coffee and chocolate aromas. Up next come a slight amount of spice that is followed by some piney and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most with some nice citrus rind aromas. This beer has a very nice aroma, I really like how the bright hops balance out the toasted malts, it's really nice.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with some piney and earthy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness followed by a nice amount of malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart some great toasted, nutty, caramel, biscuit, and some light chocolate like flavors. On the finish I get a good amount of citrus hops that impart some nice grapefruit and citrus rind flavors with a nice toasted malts and citrus hops aftertaste. I really like the taste of this beer, I like how nicely the toasted malts contrast the piney and citrus hops, it shouldn't work, but it does.

M- Pretty smooth, dry, slightly oily, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but the carbonation was just a little too high, still decent though.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer, it's not the best example of a Red Ale, it's got more Brown Ale aspects, but I would say that it's a very good example of a Fall seasonal beer. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors did a really great job at holding my attention, I think one bomber would be enough for me, but I wouldn't say two would be impossible. What I liked most about this beer was the great taste and aroma, I really like how the hops contrast the toasted malts. What I liked least about this beer was the mouthfeel, the carbonation was a little to high, but that seemed to be the only thing that didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got three more bottles before they jacked up the price, I highly recommend this beer to jut about anyone. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, it turned out to be the best out of the four bombers released in Michigan by New Belgium and so far it's my favorite Fall seasonal of the year, good job New Belgium, this is one great Fall time beer.

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Red Hoptober was served on tap in a globe-shaped glass. Very nice.
Appearance: About 1" of cream colored foam. Very dark brown beer, almost black. Dense and opaque. Lots and lots of lacing.
Smell: Hops aroma, about midway between grapefruit and pine. Don't detect much else besides a lovely hops aroma.
Taste: A roasted flavor with a big hops presence. The roast flavor is like coffee or toasted pumpernickel bread. Very interesting taste. First there's the roasted malt flavors that linger awhile, and then the hops ending. The finish even suggested some grass.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with a bit of chewiness. Nice bit of tingle.
Overall: Fantastic beer that's nicely complex. I love how the taste evolved. Drinking this beer is a certainly a wonderful experience.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

a: Dark woody color with some red throughout. 2-finger, creamy yet frothy with sticky lacing.

s: Sappy, dank, resin-y pine. Orange and lemon rind, rich dark fruit, caramel and faint chocolate.

t: Bitter, pine resin, bark, lemon rind. Malt provides caramel, cocoa nibs and helps round out the taste.

m: medium-full, medium carbonation. Not overbearing, not as syrupy as the flavor/aroma profile would lead one to believe.

o: Full flavor, looks great, not overbearing, great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Extremely thick white fluffy foam and superb lacing. Amber red in color with good carbonation. The foam and lacing really get me with this.

Smell: Sweet, smokey nuttiness with a hint of peppery hops. Very nice, although I'd like it a bit bolder.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Smokey hazelnuts in the head with some earthly maple syrup in the background. Reminds me of Rogue Hazelnut a bit. Nice peppery bitterness in the finish as well. Excellent body, although I'd like it to be a big crisper. I love the flavors, I really like the mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability: One of best, if not the best, from New Belgium.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

I loved the original Hoptober....so it is no surprise that I like the amber version. The beer pours a clear amber with finger and a half froathy slightly off white head that is leaving a lace. The smell is malty with a slight pine hop kick. The taste is a very nicely balanced hoppy red. Starts malty then there is a kick of piney slight citrus hop followed by bittering hops that clean the pallete. The mouthfeel is light to medium in body with decent carbonation. Overall this is a great beer and I could drink the heck out of it.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

Served in a Stone Brewing Co. pint glass.

A: Poured a crystal clear dark red color, with a whopping slightly off-white head... but maybe that's because I got a bit overly zealous in my pouring.

S: Cascade bomz R' Us for sure. Also, I got that grainy red velvet cake batter-esque smell I often get with this style. Rock on!

T: Hoppy, yet not too much. Seriously, this is about as earthy as it gets.The understated quality was appropriate to my mind considering this is a fall, seasonal brew. The cushion off yeast over top of the hops in this setting was quite remarkable.

M: In terms of drinkability, I could drink this all day... and gulp it even. The carbonation was spot on and the lacing was ridiculous.

O: As a fall seasonal brew, this is about as good as it gets outside of Pumpkin Ales and Octoberfests.

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a dark copper color and offers a clean, full white head that is slow to dissipate. The lacing is abundant and lasts until beers finish.

The smell is mild with malt at the forefront and some hints of oak.

The taste is very nice - a malt heavy introduction, followed by a slightly bitter, hopped up anise and oak flavored finish.

A mouthful of this has the perfect fall feel; it is slightly bubbly, with a robust creamy finish that leaves one longing for the next sip.

I took a flyer on this one not knowing anything about it when I picked it up, but I'll definitely get some more. It is a well balanced, delightful pleasure.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

I bought a six-pack of Red Hoptober in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a mahogany brown color, clear, with a bubbly beige head.

Smell is a roasty aroma of coffee and charcoal.

The taste is also decided dark, charcoal, and subtle coffee flavors, with a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not cloying.

Overall a very drinkable brew. Closer to the porter style than the typical fall seasonal, but a very enjoyable beer for the season just the same.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%